PDA

View Full Version : Meetup voice and video chat in the playground "meetup?" WE NEED A DATE, SUGESTIONS?

YPU
2010-07-23, 03:08 PM
In the dutch gitp meetup topic some people commented that it would be nice if people from around the world can partake trough skype.

From there I got the idea that we might do a big meetup on skype. Now I know people on GiTP already talk to each other on skype, but to decide on a date, lets say an entire weekend, would cover the meet-up feeling a lot better. which would be nice for those here who never get to go to one of them, due to whatever reason.

So, do any of you see some merit to the idea? Suggestions?

UPDATE:
Ventrilo is working perfectly for this and unless anybody has an objections it will be the chat client of choice both for the text and audio part.

Stickam on the other hand has been somewhat problematic, tough this might be due to the people involved not being familiar with it, if you do know how it works and can help us please let me know! OR if you know another program that allows for multiple webcams to connect at once.

This is all still very much theory, and any suggestions and alternatives are welcome.

Syka
2010-07-23, 03:15 PM
I actually do. :) I like that idea. I'm a poor graduate student who doesn't have much time, so being able to just hop on my computer would be wonderful. I also finally have a webcam in the form of the crappy built in one on my laptop, lol.

I'll definitely see about it. I've been dying to go to Trogland East meet up for a few years now, so Skypeland would be nice. :smallsmile:

smellie_hippie
2010-07-23, 03:26 PM
sounds fun. just let us know when... :smallsmile:

YPU
2010-07-23, 03:30 PM
I think taking an entire weekend might be the best idea, that way everybody on all time zones will have a chance to drop in. And the real dedicated ones have a excuse to stay online all the time. :smallbiggrin:

Thufir
2010-07-23, 03:35 PM
Hmm. I'll have to get skype. And a webcam.
But yeah, I like the idea.

arguskos
2010-07-23, 03:36 PM
I'm on this like white on rice. :smallamused:

Mauve Shirt
2010-07-23, 03:39 PM
Unless there's a new version or feature that I'm unaware of, one can't have a video chat on skype with more than 2 people, so this would basically be a giant (in the playground) conference call.
I'm in.

YPU
2010-07-23, 03:40 PM
@^ EDIT: I think I had a multi cam conversation a few times, not 100% sure tough, in any case you empower my statement below.

Webcam is not required, in fact you can use skype with just speakers and a keyboard. Its more fun if you can talk as well, as you might feel left out otherwise.

On the other hand having to many webcams on might overload the connections a bit so we'll have to experiment with that.

I for one would prefer for everybody to stay up to date without lag instead of having those with a powerful connection be able to see each other.

Zeb The Troll
2010-07-26, 05:52 AM
Color me intrigued. I've been meaning to install skype for a while anyway. :smallcool:

Serpentine
2010-07-26, 06:09 AM
Sure. If Skype's limited, we've used Stickam (http://www.stickam.com/) before, which allows up to 6/7 videos.
If we do this, can we get the start and end times in all time zones?

Mystic Muse
2010-07-26, 06:12 AM
Noooo!

My one chance to talk to several other playgrounders in person this year and I won't be able to!

(Explaining the thing to my parents, which I'd have to do, would be really hard.)

Serpentine
2010-07-26, 06:13 AM
Would it make them feel better about it if they could sit in on it as long as they want?

Mystic Muse
2010-07-26, 06:16 AM
Would it make them feel better about it if they could sit in on it as long as they want?

Probably. Might be able to convince them with that.

Serpentine
2010-07-26, 06:18 AM
As a bonus, it'll almost certainly be dead boring for them, ensuring they'll quickly exit :smallamused:

Mystic Muse
2010-07-26, 06:21 AM
As a bonus, it'll almost certainly be dead boring for them, ensuring they'll quickly exit :smallamused:

Heh, good point.

Maybe if they figure you guys are harmless I'll even get some of your phone numbers or facebook accounts or something!

Although, I imagine calling to Australia would be rather expensive.

EDIT: I'm going to take a nap now.

Castaras
2010-07-26, 06:23 AM
Awesome, I'd be up for this.

*goes to check her webcam still works*

Anuan
2010-07-26, 06:33 AM
I'd probably suggest stickam or similar over skype, but I'm up for this :smallbiggrin:

Archonic Energy
2010-07-26, 06:35 AM
sounds fun. just let us know when... :smallsmile:

*sharpens knife in prep* :smalltongue:

rakkoon
2010-07-26, 06:42 AM
Sounds cool, so 7 people can chime in at the same time?

YPU
2010-07-26, 07:08 AM
I'd probably suggest stickam or similar over skype, but I'm up for this :smallbiggrin:

You make a good point, what is the most reliable chat site/program when you have a world wide group with a lot of people?

Anybody have any experience with this?

Also, any suggestions for a date? Somebody have a smart plan of some weekend that most people are free but not away or something like that?

Eadin
2010-07-26, 07:15 AM
This looks awesome !
I'm in!:smallbiggrin:

Odentin
2010-07-26, 07:17 AM
If a few people would be willing to chip in for the cost, we could lease a Ventrilo server for the meetup. Vent won't go down like Skype will, nor will it bog down the computer.

Downside is the existence of a price tag (however cheap is actually is) and no video. Also, there's a maximum limit on how many people can be in at all...

For the record, on the server site my guild uses, a 75-person server costs $30 for a month.

YPU
2010-07-26, 07:21 AM
If a few people would be willing to chip in for the cost, we could lease a Ventrilo server for the meetup. Vent won't go down like Skype will, nor will it bog down the computer.

Downside is the existence of a price tag (however cheap is actually is) and no video. Also, there's a maximum limit on how many people can be in at all...

For the record, on the server site my guild uses, a 75-person server costs $30 for a month.

Could you do some research on how much a 3 day server would cost? and how much it becomes depending on people getting in?

I think we already decided video would be a bad idea, or at least not a good idea when there are a lot of people on as the data stream will be much larger.
perhaps for the moments when its quieter it could work, but I think we should work on reliable easy voice chat first.

Serpentine
2010-07-26, 07:23 AM
Did we? Aw. I would've liked video.

rakkoon
2010-07-26, 07:25 AM
Me three :smallfrown:

Tiger Duck
2010-07-26, 07:27 AM
I would have liked video too, If I had the necessary hardware to join a Skypeland meetup.

YPU
2010-07-26, 07:27 AM
me as well, but I have found that it does tax skype quite a bit, often to the point of breaking down.

I know there is a free chat site that specializes in video chat, we used it once for the GITP chat, but I cant remember the name.

Using a different program for the video might be a idea, that way people with a lower connection could simply use the voice chat only and others could open the video on the side. And then should the video indeed crash we still have the voice chat going.
It would be complicated tough.

Any more technically minded people who have any suggestions on this?

Odentin
2010-07-26, 07:28 AM
Could you do some research on how much a 3 day server would cost? and how much it becomes depending on people getting in?

I think we already decided video would be a bad idea, or at least not a good idea when there are a lot of people on as the data stream will be much larger.
perhaps for the moments when its quieter it could work, but I think we should work on reliable easy voice chat first.

Unfortunately, I don't believe this site does servers like that. It's a month-to-month deal. If there's another service that would allow of this, I don't know of it.

I'll do some research, though. See if I can't find something...

Serpentine
2010-07-26, 07:29 AM
Pretty sure it was Stickam.

SMEE
2010-07-26, 07:30 AM
Skype madness?
Count me in. :smallcool:

You'll have to bear with my accent though. :smallamused:

YPU
2010-07-26, 07:34 AM
You'll have to bear with my accent though. :smallamused:
I have been talking English with a German who lives in Norway for the past week. What do you think my accent sounds like now?

Odentin
2010-07-26, 07:34 AM
Hmmmm. None of the techies on here would happen to own or run a server they could host a Vent meeting on, would they?

It looks like every hosting service only does monthly deals. One might contact some of these services and explain the situation, see if they might be willing to do a three-day rental agreement...

SMEE
2010-07-26, 07:36 AM
I have been talking English with a German who lives in Norway for the past week. What do you think my accent sounds like now?

Funny like mine. :smalltongue:

YPU
2010-07-26, 09:37 AM
Hmmmm. None of the techies on here would happen to own or run a server they could host a Vent meeting on, would they?

It looks like every hosting service only does monthly deals. One might contact some of these services and explain the situation, see if they might be willing to do a three-day rental agreement...

ah yes, perhaps somebody does have a server for use. I have no idea how these things work tough, so I leave that to the smart people.

SpiderMew
2010-07-26, 09:40 AM
Pretty sure it was Stickam.

Yes, Stickam is what we used to use.

Castaras
2010-07-26, 10:36 AM
Yes, Stickam is what we used to use.

Stickam was quite good as I recall, we could use that easily enough.

Coplantor
2010-07-26, 11:06 AM
I'd love to participate but I have no camera or microphone :smallfrown:

Dallas-Dakota
2010-07-26, 11:25 AM
I'd love to participate but I have no camera or microphone :smallfrown:
This for me.:smallfrown:

YPU
2010-07-26, 11:34 AM
As mentioned you can hear us speaking and participate with text chat. Its a little strange but I have seen it work before.

B-Man
2010-07-26, 12:34 PM
Stickam was quite good as I recall, we could use that easily enough.

...except that stickam would boot me quite frequently... :smallannoyed::smalltongue:

I'd be interested in partaking in the virtual meetup.

Player_Zero
2010-07-26, 12:43 PM
What's the appeal?

Without direction or conversation topic you'll just be staring at a bunch of strangers over the internet until it gets awkward.

YPU
2010-07-26, 12:48 PM
What's the appeal?

Without direction or conversation topic you'll just be staring at a bunch of strangers over the internet until it gets awkward.

You really don't have a clue do you? :smallbiggrin:
I have had on-line voice chats that gave me mussle ache from laughing to much. And those did not have a topic.

But we could always play blind scrabble.

mangosta71
2010-07-26, 01:36 PM
If the decision is to rent a vent server, why not make it a permanent GitP server? Hop on at any time and chat with whoever happens to be there. I'm willing to bet that there would be sufficient interest and donations to make it perpetual.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-07-26, 01:43 PM
As mentioned you can hear us speaking and participate with text chat. Its a little strange but I have seen it work before.
Having participated in these kind of things before, I can say for the person without a mic, quality is severely less.

Coplantor
2010-07-26, 01:45 PM
Having participated in these kind of things before, I can say for the person without a mic, quality is severely less.

Well, at least i'd avoid my family looking weird at me, you know, talking in english alone :smalltongue:

Player_Zero
2010-07-26, 03:04 PM
You really don't have a clue do you? :smallbiggrin:
I have had on-line voice chats that gave me mussle ache from laughing to much. And those did not have a topic.

But we could always play blind scrabble.

Is that scrabble where the loser gets his eyes gouged or something?

And were those online chats with random people from an internet forum you frequent or were they friends of yours?

Castaras
2010-07-26, 03:06 PM
Is that scrabble where the loser gets his eyes gouged or something?

And were those online chats with random people from an internet forum you frequent or were they friends of yours?

Both random people from an internet forum, or from an MMO I play. :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2010-07-26, 10:38 PM
For the record, webcams with in-built microphones can be bought very cheap nowadays...

Flickerdart
2010-07-26, 10:41 PM
If we run into a video hardcap (of let's say six), we can take six computers that have maxed out, and feed their video into one other computer, thereby creating potentially infinite video feeds at the cost of absurd lag.

nysisobli
2010-07-26, 11:07 PM
You know what? I'm in, its not a party unless Ny shows up, ill procure some beer and pretzels and see you all on the other side ;)

Ashtar
2010-07-27, 04:39 AM
I'm just looking now at video conference programs / sites.

It seems there's a company called iVisit which has a service of up to 8 people can connect for free (it does cost 4.95 $ / month to rent the server). This does webcam conferencing.

DimDim (Pro) seems like a possibility but it's 25$ / month for 50 people, since for the free 20 person trial you don't get video feeds. They do have a trial for 30 days ("Try a premium version for 30 days, risk free. No Credit Card. No commitment.") which might allow us to use it a few times.

I haven't found anything else yet, has anyone got other solutions?

For a voice server, a ventrilo or a teamspeak can even be hosted on a normal private server (or even on my company server, if ever, since I'm the admin). If I found a package to have a video share server, I could also install that.

Seems there's also Camfrog which might be interesting, anyone want to follow up on those and have a look. I need to do some work now :)

Zeb The Troll
2010-07-27, 04:54 AM
If people want to do Ventrilo, I have a server that's currently sitting idle and has 25 seats available.

Serpentine
2010-07-27, 04:56 AM
As in, you're in it now, or as in, you have access to it?

Zeb The Troll
2010-07-27, 04:58 AM
As in I pay the rent for it, it's paid up for the year, and no one is using it for anything. It's a long story.

Odentin
2010-07-27, 04:59 AM
Any chance on increasing that seat count temporarily?

Zeb The Troll
2010-07-27, 05:03 AM
Absolutely, if it becomes necessary. It can be done "on the fly".

Serpentine
2010-07-27, 05:23 AM
Well, that solves that :smallcool:

Quincunx
2010-07-27, 06:07 AM
Microphones might not be a problem. Turns out my several years' old laptop had one embedded for years, and this was only discovered when I went to listen in on a voice chat and folks heard me typing. (Cue paranoia.) Test it out with someone who will tell you the truth. It's better to know.

smellie_hippie
2010-07-27, 06:25 AM
So is Ventrilo a server that Skype calls into, or will we need to download some version of Ventrilo?

I also guess this puts us at "when" as the last most pertinent question...

I might also point out that this thread could be used for just sharing skype addresses for those who would like to keep in touch BEYOND posting here or random FB coments.

*sharpens sword for Archie*

*not for Archie :smalleek:... but rather for Archie :smallamused:*

YPU
2010-07-27, 06:54 AM
From what I gather ventrilo is a lot more reliable then skype. (which can get really shoddy at times) It is free, and not huge.
We could use stickam for video feed, that way people with slower connections can avoid lag. (this is a correct theory yes?)
We can leave it up for vote, or other suggestions, but to me Zebs ventrilo server sounds like the best option by far.

I do agree with smellie, we should have a topic for exchanging skype ID's.

Should I change the title of this topic to "voicechat itp meetup?"

KuReshtin
2010-07-27, 07:15 AM
I do agree with smellie, we should have a topic for exchanging skype ID's.

I've got my Skype ID listed in my profile. easily found by anyone who'd bother to go look for it.
I've also got my MSN and ICQ IDs listed, although I never use ICQ anymore. I like to have it there because when I tell people my ICQ number they think I've missed out a few numbers. I haven't. It consists of 6 numbers. That's it.

Zeb The Troll
2010-07-27, 08:33 AM
Lest there be any confusion, Ventrilo is a voice only thing. There is no video involved.

dromer
2010-07-27, 10:00 AM
This sounds interesting. I always like voice chatting, so count me in.

Ashtar
2010-07-27, 10:45 AM
I just took the trial for DimDim, I'm in a Web meeting, you should be able to join my meeting by going to DimDim.com and clicking Join. When asked for the name of the Room, type Ashtar. I'm currently at the office, so no webcam there. It's now 17h40 GMT+1, I'll leave the room open to 18h30 GMT+1 when I leave the office. I'll be back online later this evening, from home with a webcam.

I'm currently sharing my sceen, simply. I'm currently working on my DB model for work.

The link should be https://my.dimdim.com/Ashtar/

Edit - Update: Thanks to Kurestin and YPU for testing. Room closed till tonight. I'll post when I reopen it.

YPU
2010-07-27, 12:41 PM
As you may have noted I have changed the title to avoid confusion.

So, is there anybody interested in making a signature banner for this topic? It would probably attract a lot more attention, and more people might make for more good ideas!

mangosta71
2010-07-27, 01:45 PM
Ventrilo.com has a link so people can download the client.

For the record, depending on your version of Windows it may be necessary to run the program as an administrator to be able to speak while other programs are running (I had to do so when I was playing WoW on a Vista machine). If anyone has questions related to setting up the program, you can ask them here and someone will get back to you.

Ashtar
2010-07-27, 02:11 PM
I've opened the room on DimDim again.

I've discovered I can only give voice to 3 people and webcam to 1 other person at a time.

So maybe not the best, but you're welcome to pop in say hello. It's open now (21h10 GMT+1) :) for a few hours.

https://my.dimdim.com/Ashtar/

Maybe we should look for a service for more webcam users...

YPU
2010-07-27, 04:03 PM
Its a useful program, for sure. But it does not do what we currently need.

For now ventrilo.com and stickam seem like the best combo.

Ashtar
2010-07-28, 04:47 AM
In my quest for a group video chat, here's my next proposal: http://www.tokbox.com/videochat

Video chat up to 20 users :) Free ! In the Demo Section, there's a very short video (1 min) where you see how to invite a group of people and you see all their feeds.

Anyone up to try that ?

Capt Spanner
2010-07-28, 12:13 PM
Totally in on this, even if it's mostly to see AE and SH have a duel.

Castaras
2010-07-28, 03:20 PM
Totally in on this, even if it's mostly to see AE and SH have a reduel.

Fixed. :smallbiggrin: Especially as Hippie probably wants his revenge on Archie for winning last time. :smalltongue:

smellie_hippie
2010-07-29, 06:33 AM
I question his actual victory... but I was outvoted. :smallamused:

I would enjoy a rematch, but it might make things a little difficult if we have a large rematch on a voice chat. We might have to have a lyrical "dance off" or some such nonsense! :smalltongue:

Archonic Energy
2010-07-29, 06:44 AM
I question his actual victory... but I was outvoted. :smallamused:

I would enjoy a rematch, but it might make things a little difficult if we have a large rematch on a voice chat. We might have to have a lyrical "dance off" or some such nonsense! :smalltongue:

:smallbiggrin:
I won, I won, I won, I won...

Dance...
Off...
:smalleek:

KuReshtin
2010-07-29, 06:57 AM
We might have to have a lyrical "dance off" or some such nonsense! :smalltongue:

Battle rap!

Allan Surgite
2010-07-29, 07:04 AM
I'd consider participating in this occasionally; you are using Ventrio, yes? Any other information that should be circulated?

Trog
2010-07-29, 07:32 AM
We might have to have a lyrical "dance off" or some such nonsense! :smalltongue:
So You Think You Can Dance Chat? :smalltongue:

I'd be up for this thing... I think? Though I'm not likely to say very much except interject something now and then. Sort of the way I am whilst in groups. >>

Fan
2010-07-29, 07:43 AM
Mhmm, you can sign me up, it'll be nice to talk with the people I'll be seeing at next years Gencon.

Provided people are willing to tolerate occasional science chat, and a little bit of background noise.

YPU
2010-07-29, 10:09 AM
So You Think You Can Dance Chat? :smalltongue:

I'd be up for this thing... I think? Though I'm not likely to say very much except interject something now and then. Sort of the way I am whilst in groups. >>

Considering how many people seem to be interested we might have to change speaker ever other word so that everybody gets to say something. :smallbiggrin:

I think we should do a small test of ventrilo and stickam in tandem then?

Zovc
2010-07-29, 11:32 AM
Stickam will work out for your purposes, I think. No servers required, either. Also, users with weaker connections can turn video off.

I doubt my desktop and my internet connection can handle audio/video connections from several users from different places in the world, otherwise I would offer to try to 'bootleg' something*. I don't own a server.

*The best I've ever done is using Hamachi and Ventrilo so that my friend and I could voice chat while playing random games.

YPU
2010-07-30, 05:43 AM
@ zovc
We will probably use stickam for the video part, but I have read reports of it becoming increasingly crashy when a lot of people join in, that's why we will use a dedicated server for the audio.

UPDATE:
I am looking for some people, preferably with webcam, to do a little test run today. we will probably start somewhere between GMT 15:00 and 16:00.
Please PM me if your interested, have a microphone or at least a speaker and preferably a webcam.

Dvil
2010-07-30, 06:09 AM
I'm also up for this meetup. Just let me know when it's happening and what clients I need to download to get it working.

Eadin
2010-07-30, 06:51 AM
@YPU:
I would , but I have to work.
I'd be up for tests in the evening though:smallbiggrin:

KuReshtin
2010-07-30, 07:05 AM
UPDATE:
I am looking for some people, preferably with webcam, to do a little test run today. we will probably start somewhere between GMT 15:00 and 16:00.
Please PM me if your interested, have a microphone or at least a speaker and preferably a webcam.

I'll be at work then, and won't be able to try if I can get my stupid phone to connect as a webcam, but I'll have a mic and headphones, so I'll be able to participate in the test run.

Just tell me if I need to download anything and where to get it.

YPU
2010-07-30, 07:40 AM
For those willing to help test, (thank you!)
you will need to download ventrilo: http://www.ventrilo.com/
And a stickam account, even if you do not have a webcam http://www.stickam.com/

I will PM further instructions once we get started, talk to you then!

KuReshtin
2010-07-30, 08:40 AM
Registered with Stickam. Ventrilo installed.
Ready to go.

Castaras
2010-07-30, 09:03 AM
Registered with Stickam. Ventrilo installed.
Ready to go.

Same here.

YPU
2010-07-30, 11:30 AM
Is there anybody who is particularly knowledgeable about stickam who would be willing to run that part of the meetup? Also to show us the ropes for the testing, cause we are completely cluelles.

Mr. Mud
2010-07-30, 11:33 AM
I've had a vent. I'd be glad to test this out... Except, I'm unfamiliar with Stickam. :smalleek::smallbiggrin:

SpiderMew
2010-07-30, 11:39 AM
Stick cam has audo too so you dont need vent.

Test room open
http://stickam.com/member/loadChatRoom.do?roomId=1973255
password is test1

YPU
2010-07-30, 11:46 AM
Stick cam has audo too so you dont need vent.

Test room open
http://stickam.com/member/loadChatRoom.do?roomId=1973255
password is test1

This is true, but if the main host drops out of the conversations the entire room goes down on stickam, ventrilo on the other hand will be online guaranteed. (there is money paid for that)

SpiderMew
2010-07-30, 11:47 AM
hmmm this used to work better but now i cant even get back into the room i made... i had to reload because my cam wasnt pluged in.

New test room, public
http://stickam.com/member/loadChatRoom.do?roomId=1973257

Castaras
2010-07-30, 12:04 PM
Well it works with 2 people!

Moff Chumley
2010-07-30, 12:05 PM
Totally in. :smallcool:

SpiderMew
2010-07-30, 12:06 PM
warning, it may take a while to load, even on a fast connection.

Castaras
2010-07-31, 04:17 AM
So. Now we know this works.

When shalleth we all arrange this to be-eth?

Anuan
2010-07-31, 09:57 PM
I also have created a stickam account and downloaded Ventrilo. Sooo...yeah.

YPU
2010-08-01, 03:52 PM
I was thinking starting at some random time zones Friday evening and then going until Sunday.

That way most people should have time to drop in at some time, and if indeed more people are online than on a random day on say the IRC chat, the point of this whole thing, then there should always be people around.

And who needs sleep anyway?

Zeb The Troll
2010-08-02, 12:54 AM
This could be a recurring thing?

This coming weekend is bad for some of us, being that it's GenCon weekend.

YPU
2010-08-02, 07:19 AM
Well, since this idea started because some mods could never come to meetups, we should make sure they can come when its on.

KilltheToy
2010-08-03, 01:28 PM
Chat meetup? I'm in.

I take it we're not doing this on Skype, are we? I'll download Ventrilo and stuff, but I'd prefer to not download a client I won't have much use for on my laptop.

YPU
2010-08-04, 04:26 AM
Chat meetup? I'm in.

I take it we're not doing this on Skype, are we? I'll download Ventrilo and stuff, but I'd prefer to not download a client I won't have much use for on my laptop.

As stated before, skype is to prone to failure to use in this case. Ventrilo is free and not a big program, so you could remove it if you don't use it afterwards.

KilltheToy
2010-08-05, 10:57 PM
As stated before, skype is to prone to failure to use in this case. Ventrilo is free and not a big program, so you could remove it if you don't use it afterwards.

Got it.

As for the date, perhaps next weekend (Aug 12-14)?