PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Psionic Sinew (Symbiont) & Daelkyr Half Bloods.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-23, 04:26 PM
The next time I am able to play 3.5 I want to try and play a Daelkyr Halfblood (Magic Of Eberron), and one of their abilities is to "grow" a personal symbiont, now normally they can only be Daelkyr symbionts which to the best of my knowledge are all aberration symbionts.

This ability scales with level, letting them getting more powerful symbionts as they gain more levels.

Now while I like the list of the symbionts the can grow, most of them are a bit weak.

Yesterday I found the Psionic Sinew symbiont in the Fiend Folio ( pg 218), which has some extremely nice abilties

Claws of the Beast: Gives claw weapons that deal 1d12 damage (plus STR bonus) at will, downside it cost you a point of dexterity everytime you use the,

Blindsight 60 ft (it doesn't specify if the host get the blindsight and I think it don't)

Enchance Strenght: a +4 enchancement bonus to str

Inertial Armor: + 4 AC bonus that also affects the host, it is also a force effect so it works againts incorporeal attacks

Vigor: Once per hour the symbiont gives 3 temporary HP that last for an hour at the cost of 1 point of dexterity damage

What level do you think a Daelkyr halfblood should be allowed to grow one of this?

lightningcat
2010-07-23, 07:10 PM
One of the higher level options, likely 15th or so. Growing new symbionts is a cool ability, although the fact you have to have lost (it must have died) the previous symbiont limits this. Although roleplaying killing part of yourself to replace it with a better version is an interesting scenario.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-23, 07:13 PM
Well yeah it is powerful (probably it is the strongest symbiont out there) , and well what I was thinking is that instead of killing the symbiont it "evolves" as the Daelkyr halbood gains powers

Alleine
2010-07-24, 03:57 AM
Probably no higher than 10th, and certainly no lower than 6th.

Its a really, really nice symbiont, but its abilities, like everything else that don't scale, get pretty weak as you level. Its saving grace is that it provides all those things at once while being slotless, which by magic item standards makes it crazy expensive and powerful. I have a few issues with the magic item standards though. If you get this too early, its very strong, too late and its merely convenient, or worse, completely obsolete.