PDA

View Full Version : a specifically anti-magic playable race?

FuryOfMetal
2010-07-23, 06:30 PM
1 of my players swears that he found a race (probably monstrous) that is very anti magic, as in spellcasters don't work around them. Apparently he found it in an eberron book but has no idea which one. I can't find it. Does this exist? I'm inclined to believe him as he's my best friend, but he may have just misread some fluff or something. He's just dead-set on playing one, even though he knows that sort of thing would have massive LA.

Thoughts?

DragoonWraith
2010-07-23, 06:33 PM
The Karsite from Tome of Magic is +2 LA, and rather anti-magic.

Optimystik
2010-07-23, 06:43 PM
Well, spellcasters still work around Karsites, just not on them.

tyckspoon
2010-07-23, 07:13 PM
1 of my players swears that he found a race (probably monstrous) that is very anti magic, as in spellcasters don't work around them.

As in, like, radiate an Anti-Magic Field or force nearby casters to make a CL check to cast or similar? No. There is a small handful of playable races that have Spell Resistance (and a larger handful of monsters that are technically playable but have so much LA+racial hit dice that it's generally not worth trying), but that's the closest thing I know of.

thompur
2010-07-23, 07:47 PM
Perhaps he's thinking of the Sarkrith(sic). I forget if it's in the FF or MMIII.
But they are CR 10 or higher, I think. Don't have books handy.

Starbuck_II
2010-07-23, 07:54 PM
Perhaps he's thinking of the Sarkrith(sic). I forget if it's in the FF or MMIII.
But they are CR 10 or higher, I think. Don't have books handy.

1) CR 13 meaning FF pg 145.
They (Spelleaters) have 15 HD (so no need for LA as unplayable till high lv).
They are healed everytime their SR blocks a spell. And they can shoot a ray that G. Dispel Magic at will.

2) The Thane has 11 HD are the warrior versions (CR 11).

They only get
1/day Antimagic field (con mod = rd Duration).
1/day, they can get resistance to next energy attack (Resist 10).
Treat Blunt damage as subdual.
Con mod/day (extra move or standard action, 1/rd).

Since Thane are the warrior versions they get better abilities: I'd peg them at LA +2.

A ECL 13 is better than just 11.

shadmere
2010-07-23, 10:00 PM
Otatoral dust? :smalltongue:

Honestly, while I know that it's not in any D&D books, it IS a pretty neat idea. It really balances out casters and fighters for the casters to know that they MIGHT just be absolutely useless against someone with a big sword.

(From The Malazan Book of the Fallen, by the way. Which was actually based on an extensively homebrewed D&D campaign, apparently!)

HunterOfJello
2010-07-23, 10:41 PM
Lets see, races that have anti-magic features...

First of all you have Elves and Half-Elves who are immune to magical sleep. Elves also have a bonus +2 versus Enchantments.

Dwarves are the only naturally anti-magic race that I can think of automatically. They gain +2 versus all magical spells and spell-like abilities.

Skulks from Races of the Dragon have a +1 LA and an ability called Innate Nondetection which makes them somewhat resistant to Divination spells.

Mongrelfolk are, of course, also immune to magical sleep, have +1 versus all Enchantments & Illusions and +2 on saves versus spells that target or ignore Humans, Halflings, Dwarves, Elves, Gnomes, Goblinses, or Orcs. (Not too shabby class features for being ugly and not too smart).

~

As far as Eberron races go:

Changelings DO, in fact, have a +2 racial bonus vs. sleep and charm effects.

Kalashtar have +2 versus mindaffecting spells and abilities, and from becoming possessed. They, like elves, also don't dream and are immune to those sorts of spells.

Shifters don't have any spell immunities or resistances that i'm aware of.

Warforged are quite complicated and have a long list of spell effects that they are immune to. Poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease along with several others. However, they're also weaker against spells that effect metal or wood. Since warforged don't eat, sleep or breathe, they are also immune to spells that attack or effect those abilities in a humanoid.

There are some other alternate races in Eberron, but I can't remember what book they're in or if there are very many of them other than the Psiforged. (I can't even remember if that's actually a feat or a race or not)
~

Overall, I can't think of or find a race that posses any true "anti-magic features", but you can get pretty close to that effect by playing a Dwarf, Warforged or possibly a Mongrelfolk.

Milskidasith
2010-07-23, 10:53 PM
Otatoral dust? :smalltongue:

Honestly, while I know that it's not in any D&D books, it IS a pretty neat idea. It really balances out casters and fighters for the casters to know that they MIGHT just be absolutely useless against someone with a big sword.

(From The Malazan Book of the Fallen, by the way. Which was actually based on an extensively homebrewed D&D campaign, apparently!)

The thing is, there are (very few) creatures that are totally, 100% immune to melee damage, and most of those are optimized spellcasters. Saying "ha ha, you are useless" is not a way of balancing casters.

FuryOfMetal
2010-07-27, 02:32 PM
OP here, sorry I couldn't find the thread until now so i haven't replied...yet ;)

The player in question is new to dnd so I think he probably misread something. I think kelashtar may be what he saw. Whilst alot of those races are interesting he wouldn't have access to find those more outlandish choices.

But thanks for clarifying, I'm content with the answers.