PDA

View Full Version : Vaio vs Alienware [School shopping!]

riccaru
2010-07-23, 06:54 PM
Hey all. I'm purchasing a new computer for a 2 year program in computer technology and I've narrowed it down to the Alienware m15x and the Sony Vaio EB series. The real question is, how do these two stack up against each other? I'm not looking for biased opinions, please. What do the owners think of their machines??:smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2010-07-23, 07:14 PM
Alienware is good stuff, speaking from personal experience, and I've heard from people I know that the m15x is quite decent.

Can't remember anything about the EB series though.

Timberwolf
2010-07-23, 07:25 PM
Alienware are supposed to be the dream ticket i believe

My brother owns a Vaio. His only complaint is Vista.

Erloas
2010-07-23, 07:25 PM
Its usually best if you supply a link to the specific model you are looking at, especially since virtually every one of them is modifiable from the base series models.

Also what are your criteria? What do you need this computer to do?

Both brands tend to be overly expensive for very little improvements compared to much cheaper alternatives. Is there a specific reason you have narrowed it down to these two models and brands?

Oh, and you will have a hard time finding an unbiased review from owners of a product.

Dispozition
2010-07-23, 07:43 PM
Its usually best if you supply a link to the specific model you are looking at, especially since virtually every one of them is modifiable from the base series models.

Both brands tend to be overly expensive for very little improvements compared to much cheaper alternatives. Is there a specific reason you have narrowed it down to these two models and brands?

Oh, and you will have a hard time finding an unbiased review from owners of a product.

All of this.

Alienware and Viao are two of the more expensive brands out there, normally Toshiba or Asus will provide the same specs or slightly worse for quite a bit cheaper ($1-300 depending on range).

As you said school computer, you probably don't need a beast like the alienware m15x (if I'm thinking of the right laptop) unless you're doing heavy photoshop/3d rendering kind of stuff as well as gaming on it.

Either way, to answer your actual question, the Alienware has better specs almost all round. More VRAM, faster RAM, faster CPU. However, it is more expensive off the bat.

Odentin
2010-07-23, 09:14 PM
Neither. You can have a computer built with better specs, and warranties on ALL of the parts individually, for the same amount of money that you'll pay on one of those.

Try ibuypower (http://www.ibuypower.com), or find a local professional who can build one for you. Picking up the parts from a place like NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com) or Tiger Direct (http://www.tigerdirect.com) can help save even more money. Building a laptop is (obviously) much more difficult to build than a desktop, but it can be done for much cheaper than buying a premade one.

Further, by having individual warranties on each piece, you're far better protected. Since a premade's warranty is comprehensive (and usually limited), you might well be paying out the nose later when something breaks. Also, you'll have much higher quality parts. For these premades they take whatever cheap parts they can that meets the specs they offer. Cheap junk. They charge for the high-end stuff and give the cheap junk. Not fun, especially when it breaks.

Anyways, hope that helps, even a little. :)

((For the record, yes, I do own a gaming rig that I put together myself for about $400 that handles most any game you can think of at nearly max settings nearly flawlessly.))

riccaru
2010-07-23, 09:44 PM

Not sure if the Alienware one will work... But Here's the link http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/print_summary_details_popup.aspx?~lt=print&c=us&cs=19&fb=1&l=en&oc=DKCWFW1&s=dhs&vw=icon&leadtime=7/26/2010&showleadtime=True

And the Vaiohttp://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/OrderItemDisplay?storeId=10151&compText2_14=&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&btnAddToCart.y=17&compText1_14=&btnAddToCart.x=40&orderItemId=108995851

Odentin
2010-07-23, 10:57 PM
The Vaio link doesn't work, but the Alienware link does. Honestly, for $200 less, you can get a better laptop here. (http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Battalion_101_CZ-11_Ultra_Gaming_Laptop)

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-07-24, 12:06 AM
@ Odentin. That is indeed a very nice computer except for one major thing, warranty. As someone who won't fix their computer except for mostly basic stuff, and the lesson I learned with my last laptop (an HP, which I was very happy with the performance btw) is that you should always get at least a 3 year warranty plan, and since the one you suggested only gives you the option of a standard limited warranty for one year, I would advise against it. In my experiences, if all you end up getting is the normal 1 year deal, when something does go wrong after that's up, you will likely end up paying far more than you want to get it up and running again.

valadil
2010-07-24, 12:24 AM
Alienware is overpriced. The only benefit is the brand name and alien head logo.

Odentin
2010-07-24, 12:26 AM
Of course! I do believe you can get an extended warranty after the year is almost up, but that's another matter entirely.

The point is, though, that cheaper, better alternatives are there. ESPECIALLY if you buy piecemeal and have a professional put it together. I'm sure there's someone in the OP's area who can do it. The warranties on piecemeal components tends to be beautiful, as well...

Alienware is overpriced. The only benefit is the brand name and alien head logo.

Once Dell bought them out, they went to crap...

rakkoon
2010-07-24, 12:46 AM
I have a VAIO laptop, as has been said, my only issue is Vista and I'm too lazy to replace it. The power switch is not that solid so not sure how long it will work. But all my usb ports still work which was not the case with my previous laptop so I'm happy

Icewalker
2010-07-24, 01:12 AM
Many people have said neither. I have always found this kind of comment very annoying when I ask a question for one or the other, but, nonetheless, unless you have a specific reason to want one of these two brands, it's worth paying attention to those comments. I will make my own, but will spoiler it, if you really aren't looking for that kind of advice.
Well, I somewhat recently bought a new computer, and was considering Alienware at one point. I came to a conclusion similar to that a lot of people here have suggested: Alienware is awesome, and have great computers, but you can get ones with the same specs (albeit looking a good bit less awesome) for several hundred dollars less. Mine is a Lenovo, which was I believe $1800 where an Alienware computer with nearly identical specs (I think it was a tiny bit better in one thing or another, but never even a major step up in any component) was something like $2300.

Now, one thing I will say: many computer companies, if you just take the time for a quick phone call, and ask them to lower their price because you have this computer you want, but are unsure, will drop the price notably. I got either 10% or 15% off the computer I have now, off of $1800, by making that phone call. Alienware refused when I tried it with them. Also, this was for a computer picked by components, not an existing build I was purchasing.

factotum
2010-07-24, 01:21 AM
The point is, though, that cheaper, better alternatives are there. ESPECIALLY if you buy piecemeal and have a professional put it together.

Which is not really practical when you're talking about laptops, as the OP is. Desktop machines are easy to build from piles of bits--laptops, not so much.

valadil
2010-07-24, 01:23 AM
Once Dell bought them out, they went to crap...

And I thought Alienware was nothing more than an overpriced logo before they got bought out. They're the monster cable of PCs.

Odentin
2010-07-24, 02:37 AM
Which is not really practical when you're talking about laptops, as the OP is. Desktop machines are easy to build from piles of bits--laptops, not so much.

Which I stated in my first post...

thubby
2010-07-24, 02:38 AM
alienware is dell, with all the same problems.

i second ibuypower. got my computer there. works like a dream, was close to half as much as an alienware (seriously), and none of its parts are proprietary :D

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-07-24, 06:53 PM
Alienware is overpriced and the quality is only decent.
I'd go for Vaio.

2010-07-25, 07:56 AM
honestly for computers your better off not going with the big commercial-spamming "name" brands. your better off going with a bargain brand or something going for more businessy customers like lenovo or IBM, i might be wrong but i think IBM had a really good line of decently powered sturdy laptops.

Lioness
2010-07-25, 08:06 AM
I don't know a whole lot about Alienware, but when I was shopping for laptops, I noticed that Vaio seemed ridiculously overpriced. So for what I could get in a $1700 Vaio I could get in an $800 HP/Dell/Lenovo/etc.

IonDragon
2010-07-25, 09:21 AM
About this particular model I can not say, but it has been my experience in my 5 years spent repairing computers that alienwares are much heavier, hotter, and louder than any other computer available because they are a desktop replacement and not a laptop. Laptop computers are usually light and a little bit slower sacrificing power for battery life and weight while alienware sacrifices nothing. IMO it's not worth carying that much computer everywhere. Plus the amount of heat that thing puts out is crazy. And finally, the ac adapter puts out enough juice to kill a man. Fun fact.

Superglucose
2010-07-26, 01:17 AM
The Vaio F series is wonderful, the E series less so.

Generally I'm unimpressed with anything that Sony puts out as they tend to be overpriced for the power. Alienware is the same way, and as Ion said, they tend to run hot and loud, two things I despise in my laptops.

The Succubus
2010-07-26, 03:56 AM
Why all the Alienware hate? My M17 has been a reliable and capable laptop - I've had no problems with overheating or noisy fans, which is more than can be said for some of my other laptops. The internals of the M15x should be good if they are like their predecessor, however the style of case may give you some grief with ventilation. I chose the M17 because of the fairly standard design. Do make sure you use it in an area with plenty of space - while the laptop itself is cool to the touch, the fan on the side can put out quite a bit of heat in hot weather. Before people leap on this point however, I would say I've had exactly the same problems with the novatech laptop, the acer laptop and toshiba laptops I've owned before it. I use a laptop as my only form of computer, given that I travel a lot and don't have a car.

thubby
2010-07-26, 05:27 AM
Why all the Alienware hate?

alienware is dell, with all the same problems.
:smalltongue:

Odentin
2010-07-26, 05:35 AM
I see what you did there...

Obrysii
2010-07-26, 07:27 AM
Alienware is good stuff, speaking from personal experience, and I've heard from people I know that the m15x is quite decent.

A friend of mine bought the m15x. It's not too bad. For the price, though, she could have gotten a desktop of far, far greater power.

And about similar ability to lug it around. The thing is a beast. It's construction is pretty good, and she does not treat it nicely - so it's pretty good about overheating.

However, when its main fans turn on - well, you gotta turn up the volume because it is a loud sucker.

Winter_Wolf
2010-07-26, 09:23 PM
I'd advise against either, but if it's only between a Vaio and Alienware, go Alienware. My experience is that a Vaio will charge you ridiculous high prices and give you a lot less for your money. Last time I bought a laptop I spent months looking and comparing, and Sony always offered the least bang for the buck. Yes, even compared against Dell.

I swear by my wife's Asus laptop, though. Just tossing that out there.

Recaiden
2010-07-27, 12:28 AM
The VAIO EB looks nice. But it's really rather expensive for what you get.
Same with Alienware, but they're also bulky and loud, and a bit gaudy, in my opinion.

I'm very happy with the VAIO F I have, but I admit it was probably not the most economical choice. :smalltongue:

Crispy Dave
2010-07-30, 02:28 PM
I would go with the Sony. I have never had an issue with the Viao laptops and they seem to be well up to par with specs.

As a note Alienware is owned by Dell and with that you recieve Dells "quality".