PDA

View Full Version : Turn or Rebuke Undead

blackmage5242
2010-07-23, 07:09 PM
Hi,

I am looking for classes that grant turn or rubuke undead like cleric & dread necromancer.
They have to give me extra turning or rebuking and not stack with previous levels.

shadmere
2010-07-23, 08:51 PM
Wait, you . . . don't want them to stack with previous levels?

So why do you want the new class? :smallconfused:

Kylarra
2010-07-23, 08:53 PM
Wait, you . . . don't want them to stack with previous levels?

So why do you want the new class? :smallconfused:To burn for DMM/devotion feats probably.

Yzzyx
2010-07-23, 09:33 PM
Sacred Exorcist and Ur-Priest are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Zovc
2010-07-23, 09:38 PM
You may or may not know that various cleric domains give you extra turn attempts for different purposes, naturally, these all have their own pools of turn attempts.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-23, 09:40 PM
The Lists of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff) provide the general answer to such queries.

Turn/rebuke Undead

grants turn/rebuke undead - anything that grants turning generally stacks
Cleric 1
Paladin 4
Blackguard 3, ecl, command or rebuke only
Sacred Exorcist 1, ecl 8, Complete Divine, turn only
Ur-priest 2, ecl 7, Complete Divine, rebuke only
Divine Mind 4, Complete Divine, class variant (here)
Dread Necromancer 1, base class, Heroes of Horror, rebuke only
Death Delver 1, ecl 6, Heroes of Horror, rebuke only
Chameleon 3, ecl 8, Races of Destiny, see text
Master of Radiance 1, ecl 6, Libris Mortin, turn only - unclear whether you gain turning or if it only stacks
Tenebrous, vestige, ecl 7, Tome of Magic, unlimited use but see text
Knight of the Raven 3, ecl 7, Expedition to Castle Ravenloft
Apostle of Peace 1, ecl 8, Book of Exalted Deeds
Soldier of Light 1, ecl 6, Deities and Demigods
Deadgrim 1, ecl 6, Magic of Eberron - unclear whethero you gain turning or if it only stacks

levels stack for turn/rebuke undead (ie: requires turn/rebuke to qualify for the PrC)
Radiant Servant of Pelor, ecl 7, Complete Divine
Warpriest, ecl 6, Complete Divine
Eldritch Disciple, ecl 6, Complete Mage
Paragnostic Apostle, ecl 3?, Complete Champion
Ordained Champion, ecl 4, Complete Champion
Master of Shrouds, ecl 4, Libris Mortis - rebuke only
Sacred Purifier, Libris Mortis - turn only
True Necromancer, Libris Mortis - rebuke only
Purifier of the Hallowed Doctrine, ecl 6, Heroes of Horror - turn only
Death Delver, ecl 6, Heroes of Horror, rebuke only
Bone Knight, ecl 5, Eberron Five Nations, rebuke only
Deadgrim, ecl 6, Magic of Eberron
Eye of Horus-Re 1, ecl 7, Player's Guide to Faerun

Shaman
Yathrinshee

Greater Turning
Sacred Purifier 1, ecl 6, Libris Mortis

Special Mention
Cleric 1, Azurin racial substitution, Magic of Incarnum - gain Channel Incarnum instead, but counts as turning for feats
Cleric 1, Dragonblood substitution level, Races of the Dragon, turn energy instead, counts as turning for feats
Spirit Shaman 2, Complete Divine - chastise spirits, see text
Binder...?
Exalted Turning, feat, Book of Exalted Deeds, turned creatures take 3d6 damage
Druid Domains, Sun (UA, House Rule sidebar, pg 68) but only 1/day
Bone Talisman (Drd 2) spell online at Earthmother's Weapons (Druid Spells from the Moonshaes)

Zovc
2010-07-23, 09:46 PM
Cleric 1, Dragonblood substitution level, Races of the Dragon, turn energy instead, counts as turning for feats

This is relevant to your interests. Having Turn Energy is not having Turn Undead. So, you can then take another class that grants you Turn Undead (Sacred Exorcist, possibly?).

So, we have Dragonblood Cleric 1 with the Plant domain and the Water Domain. You get into Sacred Exorcist and gain Turn Undead. Next you get into Contemplative, and gain the Earth domain.

So far that puts you with Turn Energy, Rebuke Plants, Turn Fire(/Rebuke Air), Turn Undead, and Turn Air(/Rebuke Earth). That's 3+Cha modifier uses each.

shadmere
2010-07-23, 09:54 PM
I guess I'm just missing something. If they don't stack, that means he won't get any extra, doesn't it? Wouldn't he WANT them to stack, so he'd have more to burn for DMM or whatever?

If I'm misreading the terminology, my mistake. :smalltongue:

blackmage5242
2010-07-23, 10:22 PM
To burn for DMM/devotion feats probably.

As she said, i want as many turn or rebuke undead as possible to burn for my feats.

I checked most of them and most stack without giving new attempts.

So currently i have cleric and dread necromancer which stacks, no paladin due to alignment issue.

Douglas
2010-07-23, 10:30 PM
As she said, i want as many turn or rebuke undead as possible to burn for my feats.

I checked most of them and most stack without giving new attempts.

So currently i have cleric and dread necromancer which stacks, no paladin due to alignment issue.
Pretty much every unambiguous source of Turn Undead other than cleric requires good alignment. The only borderline case is Master of Radiance from Libris Mortis, and that requires a generous interpretation from the DM.

In any case, if you're doing this for Divine Metamagic, 3 pools of uses is the best you can do. Get one of the various counts-as-turning ACF for cleric. Destroy Undead from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft is a good one, and I think Turn Energy works too. DMM specifically calls for Turn/Rebuke Undead, though, so elemental turning from domains doesn't count, and the two I mentioned work only because they specifically say they can be used in place of Turn Undead for divine feats. You can only take the first level of cleric once, though, so you'll have to choose precisely one of the available ACF options. Then add Turn Undead from one class (Sacred Exorcist is the most obvious), and Rebuke Undead from another. A splash in Death Delver is the only non-cleric way I know of to get Rebuke without an evil requirement, and all the non-cleric sources of Turn require good except for the debatable Master of Radiance, so taking one of the good-aligned Turn options plus Death Delver is the only clear way to get both without alignment issues.

balistafreak
2010-07-24, 12:05 AM
A splash of Dread Necromancer gets you Rebuke attempts as long as you are "nongood". So neutral, then.

Related: don't boosts to Turn/Rebuke attempts affect all pools? So a Nightstick provides 12 attempts for DMM, not 4. :smallbiggrin:

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-07-24, 02:45 AM
I hold the record (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3084.0) (as a CoDzilla cohort), though it also includes some DMMable non-undead pools.

Chambers
2010-07-24, 02:50 AM
A splash of Dread Necromancer gets you Rebuke attempts as long as you are "nongood". So neutral, then.

Related: don't boosts to Turn/Rebuke attempts affect all pools? So a Nightstick provides 12 attempts for DMM, not 4. :smallbiggrin:

...at which point the DM grins and says "Sure!" and notes the cost of a brand new Nightstick for his BBEG DMM Cleric.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-24, 10:33 AM
No, only Extra Turning boosts all pools. A Nightstick only adds to turn/rebuke undead attempts, for a total of 4 attempts of a single ability daily (not 4 turn and 4 rebuke).