PDA

View Full Version : The Planes Keeper (3.5 PrC)

Diabolical
2010-07-23, 10:41 PM
The Planes Keeper

'I watch who goes in,
Who goes out, Im like the
bouncer of the planes'

Description:
The Planes Keeper makes bargains with vestiges allowing him to bring them in and out of his body, in this way they gain a bit more control but not too much.

Perquisites:

Bab: +7/+1
Class: Binder
Feats: Skilled Pack Making.

Alignment:

Any alignment.

Hit die:

d6

Class skills:

Knowledge: The planes.

Skill points at each level:

2 + Int modifier.

Base attack bonus:

Partial as rogue.

Saves:

Good will, bad reflex and fort.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|good pact making

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Increased Binding, +1 Binder level

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|Extreme Knowledge, +1 Binder level

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Multiple Bindings, +1 Binder level

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Vestige, +1 binder level
[/table]

Good Pact Making(SU):
The Planes keeper gains a +4 bonus to his Binder check for pact making.

Increased Binding(SU)
The Planes keeper can choose his vestiges as if he was 2 levels higher.

Extreme Knowledge(EX)
The Planes keeper gains a +10 bonus on knowledge: the planes, He also gains a bonus to his AC equal to his wisdom modifier.

Multiple Bindings(SU)
The Planes keeper can bind another vestige more then usual at one time.

Vestige(SU)
You can turn one willing person into a vestige a week. The person then rolls 1d4 + their level/10 and they get to give that many of their powers as a vestige. You can turn someone into a vestige 1/3 weeks which causes them to make a DC 10 + half binder level + cha mod will save or become a vestige.

Glimbur
2010-07-24, 11:08 AM
It is bad design to make a PrC that is straight up better than the logical entry class to it. Also, the fluff of this class seems to be "you're a binder, but better!" which is also not what PrC's are for.

3/4 BAB and Good Will means you lose a good Fort save.

You also lose out on Mind Blank and two Pact Augmentations.

On the other hand, this class progresses Binding 6/5, has nice synergy with Knowledge Devotion, gives a fourth bind sooner than straight binder does... and then we come to the capstone.

Mechanically, the save DC for the hostile use is based on your binder level. Make that effective binder level so levels in the class that give you the ability help you use the ability. Also, the effects are poorly defined. A new vestige gets 1d4+ level/10 powers, but what is a power exactly? If I use this on my 20th level wizard buddy, can I call 20th level wizard casting a power? What about Melee Weapon Mastery from my high level fighter buddy? 10d6 sneak attack from my high level rogue buddy? All of those examples are much stronger than what official vestiges grant. For the hostile use, do they also grant powers? Can they be raised, does it take a Wish, or are they simply gone?

Fluffwise, this is completely against the established fluff. Vestiges come from souls who don't have a place to go, not from some jerk wandering around nearly completely destroying people.

A PrC should take more focus or a different approach than the base class does, and be different but not strictly better. For example, a PrC based around researching how vestiges are formed that gets access to more obscure vestiges and as a capstone can bind something that isn't a vestige (but with much clearer rules) but in exchange loses pact augmentation, soul guardian, goes to 1/2 BAB and only a good will save, could be interesting.

Diabolical
2010-07-24, 11:31 AM
Consider it being fixed when i actually wake up!