PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) E6 Capstone feats

0Megabyte
2010-07-24, 12:31 AM
So, I was looking on google and other places for noncore capstone feats for use in E6... and I really couldn't find any.

Does anyone know about/have any good ones for classes like Dread Necromancer, Artificer, Warblade, etc?

If there aren't any... well, perhaps there should be. I could always make some, shouldn't be hard, but I wanted to make sure they existed first.

Chambers
2010-07-24, 12:46 AM
These having been sitting on my hard drive for a while for a potential E6 game. They're not refined, just my base thoughts. Also it should be noted that these capstone abilities were intended for an "Epic" E6 game, so they may be more powerful than a standard E6 capstone.

There's no level requirement listed individually because each capstone ability requires the character to have 6 levels in the class listed.

Crusader
Steely Resolve 15, Mettle

Swordsage
Sense Magic, Evasion, Discipline Focus (defensive stance)

Warblade
Battle Cunning, Battle Skill, Warblade Bonus feat

---

Beguiler
Know & Cast a single 4th level Beguiler spell once per day. Once chosen the spell may not be changed.

Duskblade
Armored Mage (heavy shield), Arcane Channeling (full attack).

Dragon Shaman
Draconic Aura +3, Energy Immunity.

Dragonfire Adept
Breath Weapon increases by +2d6, Breath weapon range doubles.

Favored Soul
Know & Cast a single 4th level Cleric spell once per day. Once chosen the spell may not be changed.

Scout
Camouflage, Blindsense 30ft.

Spellthief
Steal Spell (+2 spell levels capacity), Absorb Spell, Eschew Materials feat

Swashbuckler
Acrobatic Charge, Acrobatic Skill Mastery.

Warlock
Eldritch Blast increases by +2d6, Energy Resistance 5.

Warmage
Armored Mage (medium), Know & Cast a single 4th level Warmage spell once per day. Once chosen the spell may not be changed.

0Megabyte
2010-07-24, 01:11 AM
Thanks a ton!

The logic I've heard so far, and seen in the core capstone feats, is of having class abilities really that don't go beyond 8th level. I'm also a little uncomfortable with anything that allows a fourth level spell, except in incredibly restricted circumstances. (such as the feats for necessary spells like stone to flesh and whatnot.)

And I see what you mean about some of them being potentially too strong, considering those facts. Still, they're a good example to look at.

For some that you haven't mentioned, I was thinking something like the following:

Archivist: Dark Knowledge: Foe: As class ability, HoH page 83.
Seems decent, combined with a mage's abilities to increase their spellcasting with the already existing feats.

Artificer: Expanded Craft Reserve: Gain new craft reserve of 200 points whenever you gain a new feat.

For artificers, a lot of their other bonuses at around that level are like bonus feats... which they can take at every level anyway. This especially seems fine to me, considering how many cool abilities they get by 5th and 6th level anyway.

Binder: Dual Vestiges: Gain the ability to bind two vestiges at once.

Seems like a fair capstone to me.

Dread Necromancers have a lot of abilities on 7th and 8th level. I'm debating just having a large number of abilities for them, or just relegating it to Undead Mastery and possibly Summon Familiar.

For example: Master of Undead: Allows usage of Animate Dead 1/day (it's a 3rd level spell on other lists, so it makes sense), but allows the Dread Necromancer to control 4 + Charisma bonus HD of undead. Can control undead up to 2 + Charisma HD/level.

Possibly split the rest of the ability into Improved Undead: Adds +4 enhancement bonus to Strength and Dexterity, and 2 additional hit points per HD, for all undead made with Animate Dead.

Should that be enough? Or should any of their other abilities get a capstone too, such as Summon Familiar, which allows them to choose an imp, quasit, ghost, etc, as a familiar?

Gan The Grey
2010-07-24, 08:33 AM
As another option, you could make multiple different capstone feats for any given class, but only allow characters to ever take one capstone feat. Helps them to better define their characters, make them unique.

Theodoxus
2010-07-28, 03:49 PM
I'm thinking of reducing the number of base classes for an upcoming E6 game, and was thinking of how to represent more niche classes with them, using feats.

I haven't actually sat down to do this, but the premise was based off of Hexblade, and Mettle. I don't want a full hexblade class, but I do like the concept of Mettle. So, I was thinking of adding it as a feat (though probably not capstone) with the requirements of Willpower and Great Fortitude.

Think that line of reasoning would work?

Again, I haven't gone through the list of base classes, but I was thinking of dividing them into the basic Fighter/Magic-User/Thief trichotomy; and limiting Fighters to probably Crusader/Swordsage/Warblade plus Ranger and/or Scout - then granting fighter only feats to all of them (including the Specialization feats - since they're far from overpowering). But I wanted... I don't know... specializtion feat chains, I guess... Rage to mimic Barbarian, Mettle and Hexing to mimic Hexblade, gish type casting to mimic Duskblade, etc.

I guess it would be a multiple Captstone idea that Gan's talking about, but with a specialization twist going away from more more base classes and into a generic idea (Paladin, Monk, Fighter, Ranger/Scout)

true_shinken
2010-07-28, 10:48 PM
I'm thinking of reducing the number of base classes for an upcoming E6 game, and was thinking of how to represent more niche classes with them, using feats.

I find that needlessly complicated.

Chambers
2010-07-28, 11:36 PM

I haven't actually sat down to do this, but the premise was based off of Hexblade, and Mettle. I don't want a full hexblade class, but I do like the concept of Mettle. So, I was thinking of adding it as a feat (though probably not capstone) with the requirements of Willpower and Great Fortitude.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm