PDA

View Full Version : Looking for premade dungeon crawl recommendations

W3bDragon
2010-07-24, 01:32 AM
My group has decided to pass the DM chair over again, and I'm up. Its been a really, really, REALLY long time since we played a proper dungeon crawl so I want to find a premade one. My requirements are:

* It should start at 1st level. (Well, maybe 2nd or 3rd max so I can add filler before, but no higher)

* It should be long. Ideally for levels 1-10 or longer.

* Must have some kind of overall plot. So not just a collection of encounters.

* It should NOT have a laid back, enter or leave whenever you want feel. It should feel grueling or at least urgent.

Originally I was planning on running World's Largest Dungeon, which fit perfectly with what I wanted. However, not all the players that want to try WLD are available for this upcoming campaign, so I'm keeping WLD in reserve till later. I thought I was already settled on a replacement for WLD, that being Expedition to Undermountain, but I read a lot of negative reviews about it. If I can't find something else that meets my requirements over the next few days, I might do either Undermountain or just give up and run WLD, but I'm really hoping for some other options.

Bail me out with some brilliant suggestions please! :smalltongue:

bobspldbckwrds
2010-07-24, 02:00 AM
ever think about undermountain?

CapnVan
2010-07-24, 03:42 AM
Dungeon Crawl Classics #14: Dungeon Interludes isn't designed to be played consecutively, but it does offer material for levels 1-13.

With a little work you might be able to keep the dungeon crawl feeling and use it all.

Lord Loss
2010-07-24, 08:12 AM
Undermountain is all I can think of off the top of my head.

W3bDragon
2010-07-24, 11:01 AM
Dungeon Crawl Classics #14: Dungeon Interludes isn't designed to be played consecutively, but it does offer material for levels 1-13.

With a little work you might be able to keep the dungeon crawl feeling and use it all.

I'll give that a look, thanks.

As for Undermountain, can someone explain to me the difference between the various Undermountain adventures? It seems there is Expedition to, Return to, and then just plain Undermountain? Its a bit confusing.

CapnVan
2010-07-25, 11:38 AM
Let's see. There's
Ruins of Undermountain boxed set, which includes a campaign guide, maps and some short adventures, although I think the lowest was for level 6 2E. There was also the Ruins of Undermountain II: The Deep Levels, but I never got my greedy little hands on that one.

Then there's the Dungeon Crawl trilogy - Undermountain: The Lost Level, Undermountain: Maddgoth's Castle, and Undermountain: Stardock. It's been a while, but I believe they are only loosely connected, if at all. Again, starting for levels 7 and up, 2E.

I believe Return to Undermountain was a series of online articles on the WoTC site to update the original box set, Ruins of Undermountain (mentioned first above) to 3.5E. That's available here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/ru).

I've never run Expedition to Undermountain, but it does allow you to run a campaign from 1st level in 3.5E, which is definitely a rarity for Undermountain adventures. On the other hand, it has received generally poor reviews. I can't comment, YMMV, etc.