PDA

View Full Version : Help me turn this concept into a character...

Lord Loss
2010-07-24, 08:01 AM
I'm trying to go for a knowledgeable Sage/Inventor that builds traps and knows all about his enemies and their weaknesses, but cannot be efficient in Combat without his traps. So far, I though I'd go for the Dungeonscape Trapmaking Class (Trapsmith, I think?) as well as CW's combat trapsmith. However, I can't find a Base Class that helps me acheive this concept and has Trapfinding as a class feature or an ACF. Also, lots of skillpoints would be nice (he doubles as the party skillmonkey). Any ideas?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-07-24, 08:05 AM
Spellthief, Factotum, and Artificer all get Trapfinding and any of those could fit your idea.

Lord Loss
2010-07-24, 08:10 AM
What book is Artificer in? Spellthief could work. My friend has the book, so I could use that. I'm not a fan of Factotum. Also, do Artificer and Spellthief have any knowledge-esque abilities?

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-24, 08:13 AM
What about Knowledge Devotion from Comp. Champ?

Artificer is in Eberron Campaign setting

Critical
2010-07-24, 08:18 AM
Factotum 15/Combat Trapsmith 5?

Greenish
2010-07-24, 08:32 AM
Also, do Artificer and Spellthief have any knowledge-esque abilities?Artificer Knowledge, though that's about magic items. Artificer is based on magic items and crafting, through and through.

[Edit]: The guide (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5929.0) explains the basics, but artificers are the inventors.

Lord Loss
2010-07-24, 08:33 AM
Factotum 15/Combat Trapsmith 5?

I'm also using the Dungeonscape Trapsmith, so it would be Factotum 10/Combat Trapsmith 5/Trapsmith 5. So far, my options seem to be Spellthief or Factotum. Which of these is better for this concept. Also, would Archivist or Beguiler fit the flavor well? And Would Factotum 1/Archivist 9/ Combat Trapsmith 5/Trapsmith 5 be better than Beguiler 10/Combat Trapsmith 5/ Trapsmith 5 or the aforementioned Factotum 10/ CT 5/ Trapsmith 5? In terms of flavor as well as power?

Critical
2010-07-24, 08:37 AM
I'm also using the Dungeonscape Trapsmith, so it would be Factotum 10/Combat Trapsmith 5/Trapsmith 5. So far, my options seem to be Spellthief or Factotum. Which of these is better for this concept. Also, would Archivist or Beguiler fit the flavor well? And Would Factotum 1/Archivist 9/ Combat Trapsmith 5/Trapsmith 5 be better than Beguiler 10/Combat Trapsmith 5/ Trapsmith 5 or the aforementioned Factotum 10/ CT 5/ Trapsmith 5? In terms of flavor as well as power?
Trapsmith requires planning, IIRC, and Combat Trapsmith allows you to just trap away. Look at this build (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872622/Challenge:_Optimization_Circus!&post_num=13#338464874), by the way, it's pretty decent and, pretty much, allows you to drop traps under enemies feet. :smalltongue:

Lord Loss
2010-07-24, 08:42 AM
This is the second time you help me out with a build, the Dragonborn Sorcerer worked out beautifully, so I think I will heed your advice. I quite like the build you showed me, I will be using it. :smallbiggrin:.

Critical
2010-07-24, 08:51 AM
This is the second time you help me out with a build, the Dragonborn Sorcerer worked out beautifully, so I think I will heed your advice. I quite like the build you showed me, I will be using it. :smallbiggrin:.

Glad that I can be of help. :smallbiggrin: :smallwink:

Ponderthought
2010-07-24, 10:43 AM
The concept seems to scream Archivist in places, but also seems to be missing the archivists religious, spellcasting bent. Perhaps in combination with rogue?

DracoDei
2010-07-24, 11:51 AM
Try the Engineer in the Homebrew forum (I think it is by Lappy9000) it was a ways back (a year or so?) so you will have to use a search. I recommend google, instead of the forum search engine:
site:www.giantitp.com "<search string>"