PDA

View Full Version : The Multiverse IC

Pages : [1] 2

Oslecamo
2010-07-24, 09:20 AM
The main temple of Fharlanghn is a towering silver cathedral in the middle of the main crossroads in the White Wyrm mountains that connect the two main continets of Geia.

Several heavily armored guards stand watch around it and you can even feel a divine aura emanating from it, but as you aproach both guards and the cathedral's aura itself seem to stand aside to let you pass, as if recognizing your power.

After the front door lays the main praying chamber, illuminated by richly decorated glass windows showing the main feats of Fharlanghn's legends. A statue of the god himself stands on the other end of the room, with a marble altar at it's feet. And a single man stands in the middle of the room, calmly smiling and observing the windows. Tall, flawless white skin, long blonde hair, dark googles covering his eyes and wearing expensive but pratical traveling clothes it looks like a traveling noble, perhaps even a wandering prince trying to don't stand out too much but still impose some awe.

As you arrive he tells you the following in a calm confident voice:

Ah, great to see you here! I've got some friends in this place and they let me set up some special wards in adition to the cathedral's own defenses that will allow us to talk freely of the important matters at hand.

So let me start from the begginning. I don't know where the machines come from, but it's clearly from some remote plane still unknown to us. And altough some speculate that they're the remains of a far away empire destroyed in a massive cataclysm, others, including myself, say they're the scouts of a massive invasion upon our worlds.

That's why it's essential not only to search and capture those scouts, but to study them carefully, so we may discover the weakness of the coming enemy. Or even best, turn their own weapons against them when they arrive. As I speak countless artificers and mages everywhere dissecate machines trying to uncover their secrets and make them work for us.

Wich leads us to the the war between Mashri and Azra. It started as a simple field testing of their creations based on the machines. But at one point they decided to take diferent paths. While Azra decided to focus on completely artificial machines, Mashri decided to explore the field of machinery creatures, combining metal directly with flesh. Azra acepted this for some time when it was limited to animals, but when Mashri started using sentient beings as test subjects. Azra declared an ultimatum that if her sister didn't stop such experiments she would stop her herself.

Mashri refused, being completely immersed in her research. The rest of the story is well known except for an important detail. The sisters evenly matched, Mashri secretly made a patc with Orcus the demon prince of undead. They both considered that flesh is weak and flawed but has the pontential to become something more, better. Mishra's methods of infusing the living with cold metal to create machinery creatures wasn't that diferent from a necromancer's infusing of the living with negative energy to create undeads.

Orcus supplied Mashri with extra resources, and in return Mashri provided the demon prince with her researches on machinery creatures. To make sure that Orcus didn't backstab her at the first oportunity, Mashri wrote her researches in a specially complex manner, to make sure that nobody else could understand them whitout her direct help. And Mashri made sure she was always too busy to help Orcus liches to understand more than a few lines at a time.

Azra found herself being pushed back, and so started to dwell herself in more dangerous researches of machines. She had to disregard safety measures and send to the frontline more dangerous and unstable machines with little or no testing. One of them had a revolutionary energy source like nothing seen before that would in theory allow Azra to turn the tide of the war. But once in the frontline it went out of control and blew up, turning the battlefield and the surrounding country itself in a glassed wasteland, anihilating both sisters.

But Orcus still has Mashri's research notes. He can't still understand them yet, but has a hundred liches working day and night on his own citadel studying the scrolls and books she provided. Orcus made sure this is a very well kept secret. It took me great effort to discover it myself.

A full scale assault on Thanatos, the plane of Orcus, would give him time to hide or destroy the machine research. But a group of adventurers atracts a lot less atention on the Abyss, specially when led by a renowed marilith. The notes are surely somewhere on Lachrymosa, the capital of Thanatos. I don't know exactly where but I trust you'll have the skills to find that out. Grab the machine research by any means necessary, then retreat. Be prepared, Orcus surely has it well guarded... And may appear himself to defend it.

And since we're at it, Orcus surely has been creating machines of his own with what he has learned so far. Either destroy or capture as much of them as possible on your quest. Machines are not something a demon prince should be allowed to toy with. I'll reward you well for each proof of a machine defeated by you for your trouble.

Any questions?

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-24, 09:43 AM
Alexander, karsite swordmage

For a moment Alexander says nothing, appearing rather stunned at the undertaking the man has just proposed.
"Assault.. Thanatos?"
It takes him a moment to collect himself before he continues.
"Is there some reason you've chosen us for this.. endeavor? Such an undertaking.. well, it would be unheard of. Impossible, some would say."

MikelaC1
2010-07-24, 10:58 AM
LINTESHAR

As the man finishes speaking, a strange sight for a temple not aligned to the Abyss occurs. A marilith comes slithering out from behind one of the statues of Fharlanghn, and slides up to the group.
The first thing you note about her is that she is lot more beautiful than most mariliths, she seems able to carry the blend of snake and woman in a more exotic manner than most. However, like all mariliths, she carries six wicked looking longswords, one in each hand, at first glance they look exactly similar in design, right down to the gems that encrust each hilt.

Unheard of, yes, and difficult in the extreme, yes. But not impossible. Orcus is not without his weaknesses. And other enemies. Orcus must be constantly on gaurd for all sorts of incursions from other jealous demon lords, and cannot watch each and every inch of his realm. The chaotic nature of the Abyss and the demon lords works to favour us in this endeavor.
My name is Linteshar, and Im the renowed marilith just spoken of. Im willing to give this a try. Think of the glory that can be won.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-24, 11:15 AM
Alexander

As you enter, you see the man conversing with your employer is quite young, appearing to be in his early twenties. He wears a simple dark blue robe, and is, as far as you can see, completely unarmed. His short hair is brown with a shock of white. As he turns towards you, you can see that he has mismatched pale blue and brown eyes, and a scar across his forehead which looks slightly red and irritated. Despite his seeming youth, he has a strong presence about him - he has an almost palpable aura of authority.
Alexander eyes the new arrival warily. His scar throbs as the demoness speaks, though the sensation is actually almost pleasant - not at all like the pain he experiences around some celestials, though that is only to be expected from a wound of this nature.
Wonderful, I'm supposed to be working with a demoness. Jader is going to throw a fit when he hears about this.
"Orcus hardly needs to watch each and every inch of his realm - we would be striking at its heart. I am Alexander Squire, and I have faced Orcus's forces before. One of his lieutenants, the bodak Gorguth, was powerful enough to conquer almost half of my world during the war against Atropus. Orcus himself, at the center of his power, will be a greater foe still."
Alexander turns back to the man who had called him here.
"You are either powerful or foolish to consort with the likes of demons and my Order. Who else will be joining us in this grand quest of ours?"

[OOC note: I didn't add a description of my character in my first post - added one here instead.]

MikelaC1
2010-07-24, 11:22 AM
LINTESHAR

Hold on, while its true I am a demon, I am unlike any demon you have ever met before. Too many times, my accomplishments and victories got ignored, or were claimed by others less worthy of the deed. When it happened for the last time, I forsake my allegiance to any and all of the demon lords. I have wandered off the Abyss ever since, and found that the force of chaos is not the best way to do things.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-24, 11:33 AM
Alexander

Alexander remains silent, waiting for his question to be answered. He makes no move to acknowledge Linteshar's statement - though his hand moves to his scar almost of its own accord as it begins throbbing once more. Keeping his expression neutral, he returns to his examination of their employer.
Simply another seeker of glory. I would have expected such behavior more from a devil, but I suppose I haven't really gotten to know many demonesses in the past, have I?

shadowedsoul
2010-07-24, 12:13 PM
Emily

Glory is for those without purpose. I will join you because Orcus gaining access to these hybrids is not an idea I find appealing.
Rumbles a young looking troll woman leaning against the wall. By no means attractive (at least by human standards), she does carry herself with an air of confidence that is unusual for a troll, her green skin much less warty and her speech clear.
When do we start?

Oslecamo
2010-07-24, 12:27 PM
The blonde man replies to Alexander:

"Assaulting" is too strong of a word for this task Alexander. "Raid" would be more acurate. You don't need to enter the city by kicking the door, but rather slip under the corruption and malevolence that infests it. One of the people I summoned today shall be specially usefull in that regard.

First, altough Lachrymosa is the capital of Thanatos, Orcus himself is normally at his private fortress of Everlost. He loathes the numerous tasks needed to rule an empire and let's them to his most trusted servants while he plots and schemes his grand plans of conquest. He then sends his orders and lets his minions take care of the details. In adition, by not residing near his second in commands, he reduces the chances of being backstabbed, a wise decision in the Abyss. This isn't a well organized devil citadel we're talking about, but an unstable demon hive filled with chaos you can use to your advantage.

Second, you shouldn't understimate yourself. As you yourself pointed out you helped defeat one of the main Orcus lieutenants. Today you're even stronger, and you'll be able to count with the aid of mighty allies. You'll see who they are when they arrive.

Many would call me foolish for this group I assembled, but I have a very long lifetime of experience. I just ask you to trust me when I say I believe your combined skills will allow you to suceed at this epic task.

Then to Emily:

As soon as all the seven members are togheter and you've properly presented yourselves to each other. There's no time to waste.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-24, 12:50 PM
Alexander
Alexander considers the man's words. Perhaps he's right - I have little knowledge about the affairs of demons. But this group he's summoned may be problematic - it would be just my luck if I've been sent to capture or kill a friend of one of these powerful beings.
Turning towards the troll who had just spoken, Alexander introduces himself. Too familiar with non-humanoids to be put off by her appearance, he offers his hand and says, "I am Alexander Squire. I presume you will be joining us in this.. 'raid'?"

shadowedsoul
2010-07-24, 04:07 PM
Emily
Emily shakes the man's hand.
Emily Walters, and it looks that way.
She replies.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-24, 05:15 PM
"Indeed. A pleasure to make your acquaintance."
Jader always said it never hurt to be polite. Turning to Linteshar, Alexander asks, "Perhaps some of your contacts among the demons could be persuaded to act as a diversionary force, attacking Orcus's realm to draw his forces out? Any advantage would be welcome - we are all powerful indeed, no doubt, but overestimating ourselves will kill us far quicker than underestimating ourselves."
Heck, Gorguth is still out there - for all I know he could be in Lachrymosa now, and he could be formidable even considering how much my power has increased since I joined the Wardens.

Ryuuk
2010-07-24, 11:57 PM
Ajira and Ovid

They can't be serious, can they? Draw the wrath of the Lord of Thanatos, even if we make it out, it would only be a matter of time before-

You fear him?

I... You don't?

He is a scourge to the planes, like all who crawl and squabble in the Abyss. More so, his servants think they are above the Cycle, they dread it, trying to stall the inevitable. The flame of life has nothing to fear from such cowards.

...I am sorry, master.

You are human, even if you would deny it. However, you and 'Alexander' may have a point. You are here because of your judgment, this body needs it. It would have tried to cleanse 'Linteshar' before it learned she was well on her way. You stopped it, this is your proof.

Remember, you are now much more then what you were before. Let there be no doubt that we are amongst equals here, stand proud, else you may have to contest for control again.

A man had been standing close to the door during much of the discussion. He seemed to be in his late 20s, had vivid red hair and eyes and wore weathered travelers clothing with an ample cloak. At first, he seemed to be looking for an excuse to leave, turning back towards the entrance every few seconds. He seemed much more sure now though. Arms crossed, he nods to himself and steps forward. "A distraction might be of use, actually, but convincing Orcus's enemies would be a challenge. Thanatos is usually the aggressor, if I remember correctly, since attacks on the layer usually do nothing but bolster its ranks."

He turns to the others and gives them a humble bow. "Ovid de Naso, I am honored to meet you all, as is my master. Please know that the Phoenix of Geia will gladly act against the Lord of Thanatos."

Currently expended:
15 pp for Fusion
2 x Miracle
1 x Polymorph any Object
1 x Polymorph (To appear human)

MikelaC1
2010-07-25, 12:24 AM
LINTESHAR

Contacts? You misunderstand my situation, I basically turned my back on all the demon lords when I quit their service, and there are none that particularly owe me favours. While demons are more forgiving of traitors than devils are, that doesnt help me. The two main enemies of Orcus are Graz'zt and Demogorgon; Graz'zt was my first lord and I left his service abruptly after one of his generals tried to lay the blame for a failure on me. Ive never had any dealings with Demogorgon, but I did leave the service of Malcanthat very abruptly as well, and the two of them are sometimes cozy. The only thing I can bring to this mission are my own resources, which are not inconsiderable, but I bring no demonic allies.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-25, 07:55 AM
Alexander
His scar is quickly becoming irritating, alternating between a dull ache as Ovid speaks and a slight tingling when Linteshar does. Studiously avoiding looking at either of them, he replies to Linteshar while still looking at their employer.
"A pity. I have a small force of my own, but it is hardly of the calibur suitable for an undertaking of this magnitude. Perhaps if we are joined by a wizard or sorcerer they could make contact with a demon price or an archduke to coordinate a diversionary assault."
Turning towards Emily, he asks, "Have you or Ovid any contacts or allies who may be helpful in this?"
Alexander considers mentioning the Wardens, but it would not do to tip his hand so soon - and besides, the Wardens are more akin to an assassins' guild than an army.

Niezck
2010-07-25, 10:02 AM
A sleek panther-like creature prowls into the room, looking at you each in turn. It is larger than any natural creature of its kind and has a particularly thick hide.

After eyeing you all up and down, it shifts eerily into a strange insectoid. It is humanoid in shape but larger and stronger. Its ancient voice enters your thoughts.

The wilds will answer the call. Do you have further details about Orcus' citadel?

It then looks at Emily, quickly shifting once more. This time it takes the shape of a great wolf, unnaturally large and fierce as before.

You again.

shadowedsoul
2010-07-25, 11:30 AM
Emily

Emily grins a toothy grin at the shapeshifter.
Yes, me.

MikelaC1
2010-07-25, 11:48 AM
LINTESHAR

Linteshar watches the interplay between the panther and the troll lady.
You two appear to have a history together. Anything we should know about that would affect this mission?

Niezck
2010-07-25, 11:48 AM
Once again the ancient voice speaks to your thoughts.

And what is such a beast of chaos and destruction as yourself doing here? I was led to believe we were restoring balance here, and maintaining the flow of things? Not destroying harmless innocents.

shadowedsoul
2010-07-25, 12:38 PM
Emily
Nothing is harmless and few are innocent. The flow of things includes destruction, regardless of your opinion.
Emily says to the shifter before turning to the demon.
The shifter gets testy if things get broken. Other than that I don't know of anything that would be applicable.

Eldan
2010-07-25, 12:46 PM
Syan

The man had been here the entire time, but eyes just seemed to slip away from him. He was... average. Boring. Normal height, normal build, neither thick nor thin, brown eyes, black hair, tanned skin, wearing only a grey, silky armour over a similarly grey suit, magical jewellery worth more than an average city and a sword two feet long with a glowing, blue blade and covered in gemstones in all colours of the rainbow, vibrating in it's silver-plated sheath and humming. Nothing that would stand out in the average crowd of dirty peasants.

As he advances, he briefly glides through one of the statues of Fharlangh, the stone rippling slightly as a pond disturbed by a single raindrop, then settling back in the same shape.

"If it's a city, I can get in. It won't be hostile to me", he explains.

Ryuuk
2010-07-25, 12:51 PM
Ajira and Ovid

It has changed three times in quick succession... I wonder how he does it? That would have either been a huge expenditure, or complete mastery over its metabolism... But it doesn't seem to doing it through the discipline, even if it speaks to the mind.

It seems it has found an alternate path to your destination.

Through nature... it seems so primitive though.

Yet it lead him here

Ovid looks down before answering Alexander. "Allies... I'm afraid we are of little help in that regard. We can bring a force from the plane of fire, they would answer our call, but their numbers would be small."

Niezck
2010-07-25, 12:56 PM
I bring only myself and that is all I need.

The panther then stretches out its body and shifts once more, reverting to the insect-like humanoid it previously displayed. It then speaks, using its actual mouth. A strange sort of clicking voice. He looks at Emily.

And I do not get testy. I simply protect the cycle of things, as I have for centuries before you and as I will for centuries after you are dead and rotting.

Eldan
2010-07-25, 01:56 PM
Syan

"But then...", the human muses.
"I have to get you lot in as well. That's making this entire thing a lot more difficult. I think we will actually need a plan.""

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-25, 02:00 PM
Alexander closes his eyes in frustration as his scar burns once more as Ovid speaks. Still not turning to acknowledge the new arrivals, he simply speaks to the air in front of him, seemingly addressing no one in particular.
"You bring only yourself and your old grudges, it seems. Avatars of balance and destruction or not, you must cooperate if we are to succeed."
He speaks with an easy authority, sounding for all the world as though he finds it entirely natural to rebuke an entity that is likely hundreds of times older than he is.
Hearing Syan's quiet remark, he snorts and turns for the first time to look at him. "Yes, a plan would help."

MikelaC1
2010-07-25, 02:03 PM
Then we should get along fine. For as I said before you arrived, I am demon in form but not in allegiance. I care not for mindless destruction, useless rage and endless chaos. I seek knowledge of anything that catches my interest, and credit for my victories.
If I have to kill to accomplish my goals, I will not hestitate to do so. But I dont go seeking to kill just for the fun of it.
And that brings me to my second topic. I do have a few minor tricks to help get things done, but first and foremost, Im a warrior. I can manipulate a few unknown magic items, but Im not a spellcaster, arcane or divine.

Eldan
2010-07-25, 02:07 PM
Syan

Syan shakes his left hand, and a little ball of blue light appears above it. Twitching his fingers, he first changes it into a small yellow star, then the image of a small, dancing figure in red, before it disappears again.
"A few spells, here and there, but nothing too special. If you need to hide something, or make something appear as something else, then I'm good at it. But otherwise?"

Oslecamo
2010-07-25, 03:25 PM
The blonde man replies to the shifter's telapathic question:

Orcus whole plane reeks of negative energy, slowly wearing down mortals, not affecting immortals and actualy bolstering undead. His more important places should have stronger auras of that kind. Wards against necromancy are essential. As for the any more details I really can't give you much. Hordes of lesser demons and undeads, bigger nastier ones, and whatever machinery abominations Orcus has managed to craft so far. Always keep moving or you may find yourselves surrounded and overwhelmed by sheer numbers. If you make your kills swift the demons should be unable to coordinate a proper counter attack on a group as small as yours, one of the reasons I choose only seven people for this task.

Then when Syan appears he exclaims with a smile.

Ah and now you're all togheter! Very good, I knew you would come! Now you're quite a quite diverse group but don't let your diferences be an obstacle between you, instead ask yourselves how to combine them to maxize your strenghts!

Niezck
2010-07-25, 04:45 PM
The shifter looks casually toward Alexander and replies in a harsh tone.

I understand the magnitude of our mission, thank you very much. I will not let a past squabble get in the way of maintaining balance.

Taking the form of a sleek cat and hopping up onto the nearest ledge, he once again speaks telepathically.

As for magical ability ... Mine is somewhat limited. I am no match for a sorcerer or wizard of our relative power, but I can do well enough to survive, and then a little more.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-25, 06:33 PM
Alexander's brow furrows at the harsh rebuke, but he does not respond. He instead turns back to the blonde man and says, "There is still the matter of payment. If we are to raid Lachrymosa to steal Mashri's notes, I want a copy for myself. Any material wealth we recover can be divided as you wish, I care little for such things."

Niezck
2010-07-25, 07:04 PM
Typical. Orcus threatens to end the existence of the multiverse with these new machines, and all you care about is getting your greedy little monoform hands on a copy of his doomsday device?

The Changeling then turns to the man, clearly addressing ihm despite the telepathic message to all.

The notes should be kept safely by those strong enough to do so, or destroyed. Right?

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-25, 07:10 PM
Alexander smirks ever so slightly. "Isn't that what I said? Such knowledge should not be wasted."
"Monoform?" That one hurt.

Niezck
2010-07-25, 07:13 PM
You may think so highly of yourself, but we here know nothing of you. Or very little atleast. And you expect us to simply hand these notes over to you at the end, provided we succeed and recover them?

Oslecamo
2010-07-25, 07:16 PM
You're free to try to read and try to copy the research yourself but I warn you that the complex scribings of Mashri could drive most sages mad or worst with their sheer complexity. It's not by simple convenience that Orcus has Liches studying them as their undead minds can't descend anymore into madness.

I can however promise you that as soon the notes are on my hands I'll share all I learn from them with any of you that is interested on the matter. Any other treasure you stumble across is yours for the taking, I've got no interest on it as well.

The real reward however would be that you would get first pick on any kind of new weapon, armor or other equipment me and my colleagues could develop from the notes. The machines offer plenty of potential for improving our arsenals and even magic, but we need Mashri's research to do a true breaktrough on those fields.

Needless to say we'll make sure they don't fall on the wrong hands, but just hiding this knowledge would be a senseless waste. Whatever's coming in the future, we'll need every tool at our disposal to fight it!

As for my real identity, I guess I'll keep that hidden for now. You could say I'm yet another sage. Bring me the research, and I'll share more of my life with you.

You could try to run away with the notes, but trust me, they won't do you any good whitout help from the best specialists. I'm one of such specialists. Do you by any chance know another? I assure you despite the priceless value of the notes very few beings out there would value them for what they truly are!

For the record, you will stumble in special pieces of "machine" equipment sooner or later in the campaign. They'll all be unique and priceless, basically artifacts (but more fragile), so VoP users won't suffer any penalty for using them.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-25, 07:17 PM
"I assure you that the notes will be safe in my custody."Time for my trump card, assuming that anyone here has actually heard of our Order.. Alexander draws himself up proudly, speaking with authority. "I am a member of the Lord-Wardens of the Silent Cage. We have safeguarded far more powerful and deadly secrets than these research notes; none are more capable than we."
Hearing the blond man's words, Alexander turns to the shapeshifter and smirks. "You see, shifter? Plenty of doomsday devices for us all. And I assure you that I will act in my capacity as a Warden to ensure the.. proper use of these machines."

Niezck
2010-07-25, 07:21 PM
The lady-washers of the silent sage? Don't think I've heard of those before ...

The cat noticeably raises an eyebrow, seemingly confused.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-25, 07:24 PM
Alexander smiles almost triumphantly. "Your ignorance is unsurprising; we are known only to the wisest and most powerful beings in the multiverse. You should be honored to be one of the few who has heard of us without first being incarcerated."

Niezck
2010-07-25, 07:28 PM
Oh I see. You're so secret and powerful that nobody knows about you. Well, of course I trust you now.

Reverting back to humanoid form, The Changeling smirks slightly before continuing, this time speaking again.

But on to the matter at hand. How much preparation does everybody need? I, personally, bring all that I am with me, so can go this instant if necessary. You possession-lovers, however ...

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-25, 07:34 PM
Alexander rolls his eyes before composing himself and attempting to speak in a more professional tone.
"An ally of mine is waiting for me in town - he will likely need some time to prepare the proper spells for this endeavor. Perhaps before we begin our raid we should contact one of Orcus's rival princes? A diversion would be most useful."

Oslecamo
2010-07-25, 07:35 PM
The blonde man chuckles at Alexander.

Yes, I know of your order. I tried talking to your superiors before. We had some... "Disagreements". I don't doubt they would keep the notes safe. They would keep them too safe. This isn't the time for a defensive stance. We must not be afraid of new this power but rather learn to wield it as fast as possible. I expect you to understand this better than your old seniors that don't seem able to keep up with this changing era.

Ryuuk
2010-07-25, 07:37 PM
Ajira and Ovid

Ovid simply shakes his head at the bickering. "As far as stating capabilities, I'm am a psionicist, specialized in altering one's metabolism and biology. I still have much to learn, but I can be of use. My master, on the other hand, has much to offer. He doesn't request miracles, he simply performs them."

He turns from Alexander to the Changeling. "Destroying them would do nothing but prevent them from falling into the hands of those who would abuse them. Whatever was learned by the twins would be lost, and that is something we cannot afford." He turns to their host. "If we are to learn of the threat that the invaders represent, the first thing we need to do is decipher those notes, isn't it?" He pauses, as a thought hits him.

"Actually, I believe we now know more about each other then about our host. The intent of this meeting is clear enough, but who, may we ask, has called it?" There's no apparent accusation in his voice, just curiosity.

---

"I see... Regardless of you intent, my master is here simply because these beings are outside the Cycle. Lives come and go, but these machines may alter it more then it has must ever be changed."

OOC:
So many posts... I'm not quite sure where this fits in.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-25, 07:38 PM
Alexander appears rather shocked to hear someone so openly disdainful of the senior Lord-Wardens. What could have been a small smile flits across his face before he frowns at the man.
"Very, very few people would speak in such a manner of the Lord-Wardens. And even fewer have had "disagreements" with them and yet remain free to tell the tale. Who are you, really?"
Though Alexander still does not turn to look at Ovid, he states to the empty air, "A psionicist, truly?" Judging by my scar he's more like a paladin.. He pauses for a moment, then asks, "You wouldn't happen to be.. descended from celestials or some such thing, would you?"

Oslecamo
2010-07-25, 08:23 PM
The blonde man looks at the ceiling for a moment, adjusting his rich clothes casually, before facing you again with a faint smile.

Heh, almost. My father, grandfather and those before him were exceptional persons long ago living on the skies, but still mortals. Champions of a past empire long fallen, at best a fairy tale today.

Now I'm just a dark horse, not a paladin. I stay hidden on the shaddows and emerge when necessary to guide and help others. I have no interest in personal glory or gain. It costed me dearly long ago. But I still had a lifetime of happyness. Enough to keep me going untill today.

That's why I can afford to disagree directly with the wardens. Their leaders are of the few that know almost all my history since we've worked togheter in a lot of times before. I provided them clues about a lot of their more important targets. I helped them directly catch some of them. I fought at their side at several crisis. It's really sad that this time we couldn't come to an agreement.

I understand you want to know more about me but it wouldn't benefit you in any way. For now, all that matters it's that I'm someone helping you to stop Orcus from unlocking a mighty power. When you suceed on recovering the notes and delivering them to me I'll be willing to tell you more about me if you still want to hear it.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-25, 08:37 PM
OOC:In case you haven't realized, the italics denote Alexander's thoughts - sorry for any confusion that may have caused.
Alexander is quiet for a moment. His question hadn't been directed at the blond man, but he was grateful for his response. The last thing he needed was for the others to question why he would care if Ovid was part-celestial, or how he could tell if he was.
But blast it, if my scar is hurting just listening to the phoenix's servant speaking, it's going to be a real pain when I meet the firebird himself.
"We should begin our preparations. The sooner you begin deciphering those notes, the sooner you'll finish, no? It will take several hours for our spellcasters to prepare their spells, I imagine."
Jader will need time to select the appropriate spells. Amanuenesis, for one.

MikelaC1
2010-07-25, 09:10 PM
Oh I see. You're so secret and powerful that nobody knows about you. Well, of course I trust you now.

At these words, Linteshar lets out a small laugh, that she quickly attempts to cover, however you can see that her eyes are still twinkling.

But on to the matter at hand. How much preparation does everybody need? I, personally, bring all that I am with me, so can go this instant if necessary. You possession-lovers, however ...

As I said, there are few preparations that I have to make. Each morning, I have to renew my swords, but thats not of anyone else's concern. If someone has spells that would aid me however, I would gladly take them. As well, you mentioned something about wards against necromancy, and of those, I have none.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-25, 09:17 PM
"Nor do I, for that matter. My colleague, Jader MacArthur, can provide some but not all of us with protection from chaos and evil. Also in his repertoire are the spells haste, heroism, and avoid planar effects, all of which should prove to be of some utility. He can also provide some of us with nondetection spells, though I am doubtful as to whether they would be effective against a concerted attempt to locate us."

shadowedsoul
2010-07-25, 10:19 PM
Emily
Magic has never been my forte, so I'm ready to go whenever, I've got all I need to take with me.
Emily says, grinning a little bit at all the chest thumping the others seem to enjoy.

Eldan
2010-07-26, 02:39 AM
Syan grins as the Lord Wardens are mentioned, leaning on, and a few inches into, the statue next to him.
"You keep secrets, ey? Perhaps I should come by and steal a few of those. It would probably be more of a challenge than the Taker Duke Darkwood's Hall of Records, that one was pitifully easy. And boring. Tax records, black market trades, halls and halls of underhanded financial exchanges, but nothing really interesting."
Then, remembering the question at hand, he straightens up, resting a hand on his decked-out sword.
"In any case, we should start planning. I'm ready whenever necessary and have nothing to prepare, and I can be in Lachrymosa minutes from now, if necessary. But as I said, you lot won't be as easy to get into the city. How many of you can do any of the following: make yourselves invisible, walk through walls, blend into a crowd, teleport, disguise yourselves? I can help out with some of that, but my magic is limited, and I prefer other methods. Magic is too easily discovered."

Niezck
2010-07-26, 07:53 AM
As you've been able to see, I can quite clearly disguise myself.I can teleport and shift planes as I please, though it may take me some time to attune myself properly. As for blending into a crowd, I have no use for such things when I can become the smallest of creatures or the largest of beasts.

As he mentions the smallest of creatures, Zer'ahn shifts into a swarm of rats, covering the ledge he was perched on. And then at the mention of the largest of beasts, he shifts once again. This time into a gargantuan dragon, its scales shining.

So, is there anything else we need to know? Or should we get on our way? He continues, changing once more into the cat for ease.

MikelaC1
2010-07-26, 07:55 AM
LINTESHAR

Teleporting is something I do really well. In fact, as long as I have been given at least a verbal description of the place, I never miss my target. And I can bring several people with me when I do. Ive also built a small inventory of items to aid me in plane shifting.
The rest of that stuff, eh, Im not so good at. Considering what I look like, blending into a crowd is nearly impossible.

Niezck
2010-07-26, 08:03 AM
The cat turns to Linteshar, clearly addressing her.

I can help with that. Pick your form, and I can make it happen.

Tshern
2010-07-26, 08:05 AM
Followed by a whisper of fresh air, the seventh adventurer enters the room with astonishing, almost uneartly grace and despite her blue goggles preventing anyone from seeing her eyes, it is obvious she is studying the group standing in the cathedral. Her face shows no signs of malevolence, although it is hard to say what exactly her subtle smile implies.

"It seems the meeting has already started, I hope I am not too late. The outerior of the cathedral caught my attention and I studied it a while longer than I initially intended."

When the woman reaches the party, she removes her glasses fully revealing her face as if to demonstrate her trustworthiness. Then with a slightly humorous tone she adds "I do assume this is not simply a guided tour and you are the other invited sentients?"

Niezck
2010-07-26, 08:35 AM
We are indeed the group you seek.

The strange voice penetrates her thoughts, seemingly coming from the cat perched on the ledge just infront of her.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-26, 09:20 AM
Alexander simply ignores Syan's words, though he does appear thoughtful for a moment.
"As to the question of magic.. I assure you I am quite proficient." As he speaks, a fiery sword appears in his hand from nothing. He tosses the blade carelessly into the air, and it vanishes just a moment before striking Zer'ahn. "Most of my arsenal is dedicated to combat, however. I have little in the way of subterfuge, but I can open an interplanar portal for us when we are ready to leave. Can any of you perform powerful divinations? This will go much smoother if we aren't charging in there blindly."

Niezck
2010-07-26, 09:45 AM
Zer'ahn turns to Alexander, shifting into a large wolf.

((Only to Alexander:))
Try that again and you might find certain body parts go missing during the night.

Then to the rest of the group.

As for divinations, I cannot help there sadly. My powers are primarily focused on survival and shifting. With the occasional offensive ability thrown in for good measure.

Ryuuk
2010-07-26, 09:52 AM
Ajira and Ovid

That question was directed towards us, wasn't it?

It appears so.

He's been avoiding our gaze. This is strange, why would he?

Resolve it, better now then when facing the beasts of Thanatos.

Yes but...

If he must be cleansed, then it can be arranged. If not, then there is no problem.

Of course... But I am here for a reason, even then we must be prudent. I'll do this my way, not Ajira's.

Ovid simply listens, eyes closed, taking note of the new arrival but only turning to give her a smile. He seemed lost in his own thoughts. When he finally opens them, it is only to look at the back of Alexander's head and send him a message. His lips don't move, but Alexander hears the words in his head. The voice is different though, like two speaking in unison. Part of it is much like Ovid's, but the other simply sounds greater, more pronounced. Like that of an ancient, great creature. <I'm afraid it's a bit more complicated then that. Half of me is a simple mortal, the other may fit your description. The mortal is only here to help the other remember. I'll call it out, it may be best that way. If this would be a problem... I apologize.>

He turns to Syan. "I think at I may be able to lift some of the strain on you. Mirages would be easy for my master, at the very least he can raise Veils and make things unseen. We can also manipulate shape, if need be." He looks down and nods, slowly. "It's easier when he's in control though." He takes a few steps back from the rest of the group, making sure to get a clear area and to keep some distance between him an Alexander.

He bursts into flames. His body's engulfed completely, and for a second it seems like the flames will spread. Then they start taking shape. A large pair of wings spread from the center of it all, followed by a large body and a pair of talons. The firebird shakes his wings making a few embers briefly cover the ground. It stands tall and proud, but doesn't rejoin the others. It doesn't speak, the words simply appear in everyone's mind, in two voices now. <Tell me what is needed and I'll see what I can do>

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-26, 10:08 AM
As Ovid changes to his master's form, Alexander grits his teeth and lets out a low hiss as he raises his hand to his scar. After a moment, he lowers his hand and addresses the air in front of him.
"It would not be prudent for you to travel in that form. A creature of your nature would be detected in an instant by Orcus - the cycle of life and rebirth is anathema to the undead."

Tshern
2010-07-26, 10:17 AM
As the flaming wings appear and eventually reveal the form of a phoenix, Petronella's expression becomes noticeably more observant, as if she was trying to learn its entire life story by simply watching it. For a fraction of a second her glance is almost manic in its intensity, but that madness swiftly fades away.

An interesting group I have gotten myself into...

"Perhaps I should introduce myself; I am Petronella Haliah. Admittedly, traveling with others is something I haven't experienced in quite a while, but I am certain I can contribute to our efforts. Long story short, my talents lie in the field of arcane arts. Hopefully that is a sufficient description."

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-26, 11:17 AM
After taking a short moment to restore his neutral expression, Alexander turns to address Petronella. "A pleasure to meet you, m`lady. I am Alexander Squire, of the Order of the Silent Cage. Your are an arcanist, you say? How fortuitous - we were just discussing how useful an individual versed in divinations would be for our cause." Alexander is, once again, all charm and careful diplomacy.

Tshern
2010-07-26, 11:35 AM
"While I am no specialist, I can help with different divinations, that much I can tell. Luckily my arcane talents are more flexible than those of a standard mage, so I can usually find an answer to most problems. Do you already have any ideas as to how we should proceed?"

Petronella puts on her blue goggles again masking her eyes and it is hard to understand how exactly does she see through the lenses as they do not look transparent at all. She also continues to smile subtly as if she was waiting for somekind of a surprise party...

A mechanical question to M. Mayonnaise and Oslecamo:
What kind of a Knowledge check should I be rolling if I wanted some information regarding this Order of the Silent Cage? Assuming it is not a Knowledge (Psionics) check, my take ten would yield a result standing at least in the mid-40's, so I probably have heard of it. Right?

Niezck
2010-07-26, 11:37 AM
Seeing the phoenix take form, Zer'ahn is almost taken aback. He reverts once more to his humanoid form, almost in respect of the phoenix.

Such a creature of beauty ... It is an honour to have you with us.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-26, 12:38 PM
"As.. majestic.. as I`m sure our esteemed colleague is, I think that power will serve us better than beauty in Thanatos, Zer`ahn. You should try to keep that in mind when you choose which body to use, no?"

To Tshern:DM`s discretion, but I`d say Knowledge: the planes. And in my opinion, a check of 40 would probably let you have a passing knowledge of who the Wardens are, but not much more than that, as they`re a rather reclusive society. The only sure to way to have heard of them is when they either want something from you or have arrested you.

shadowedsoul
2010-07-26, 01:00 PM
Emily

Well aren't we just one big happy family of shapeshifters?
Emily asks, nearly quadrupling in size as she does so, her fangs and claws becoming more pronounced and a coat of fine white fur spreading over her body.
Zer'ahn may have a multitude of forms, but I find I need only one.
She says, smiling broadly before returning to her troll form.

Niezck
2010-07-26, 01:13 PM
You don't shapeshift. You mutate.

Zer'ahn retorts with a slight bitterness before shifting between a large mass of tentacles, a great wolf, a large cat-like predator, a rhinoceros, a giant ape and a majestic dragon in quick succession. Then, returning once more to the house-cat form, he continues.

THAT is shapeshifting.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-26, 01:21 PM
"If you`re quite done debating semantics, Zer`ahn, perhaps we can move on to planning our raid? I, for one, am eager to recover these research notes and see what use they may be put to." Turning to Petronella, he asks, "Can you gather any intelligence on the layout of Lachrymosa with your divinations? We`ll need some idea of what we`re up against before we can begin planning in earnest."

Oslecamo
2010-07-26, 01:28 PM
For a society of the level of the wardens a result of 40 would confirm that they do exist and they know how to keep their business discrete on top of aparently operating in a very big (multidimensional) scale, but little more than that.

Knowleddge:planes looks the right choice for them.

Tshern
2010-07-26, 02:41 PM
"I know of the place, that might be of some use. However, using magical means to peer to the Abyss can be risky. If needed, getting a connection to specific places on Thanatos is possible. Other possibility is to direct our concerns to a higher power capable of answering our questions..." Petronella explains to Alexander without a hint of condescending attitude in her voice. Biting her lower lip a little she continues "My studies of arcane magic have so far concentrated on manipulating the essence of magic itself, so divinations are not my true strong point. Take that for what you will, Alexander of the Order of the Silent Cage."

To M. Mayonnaise:
I can take ten and get a result of 66 for Knowledge (the planes), so that's not a problem. Cheers for the information.
To Oslecamo:
I'll take ten to get 66 for Knowledge (the planes) regarding Lachrymosa.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-26, 02:58 PM
Alexander simply shrugs in response. "Do what you can. Arcana is not my area of expertise, so I can offer little advice. Whatever information you can gather on the layout of Lachrymosa, troop dispositions in that area, or the location of the notes will be of the utmost utility."

To Tshern:That's quite a high skill check, so you know the following: The Lord-Wardens are a reclusive order of interplanar enforcers. Led by a Lord or Lady of Chains, they hunt down and capture or destroy beings and artifacts deemed dangerous; officially, these beings or items possess powers that risk damaging the integrity of the planes themselves, though the Lord or Lady of Chains will often send Wardens after beings that they personally consider too dangerous to be allowed to go free. You know that the Wardens hunt beings regardless of their alignment; powerful celestials are as much at risk as demons. You have heard that the headquarters of the Wardens is called the Hollow Bastion, though the exact nature of this fortress, city, or demiplane eludes you, as does its location.

Tshern
2010-07-26, 03:16 PM
"Conversing with entities as powerful as I can contact is a precise science, so I suggest we formulate the questions before the actual rituals," Petronella responds and it is again clear she is looking directly to Alexander's eyes even though the glasses totally hide her eyes. Understanding this she continues "Apparently I have been away from the court for too many years. I know using glasses like this is not exactly courteous, but they help me keep my mind in check. Hope you don't mind."

Some mechanical thoughts:
Technically I could take ten and get a result of 81, but I suppose using an 8th level spell just to find out something of the background of a team mate is... not all that useful.

In case someone wonders the 'Keep my mind in check' comment and uses any magic on the goggles, they are not magical at all.

Niezck
2010-07-26, 03:18 PM
Perhaps we should find a location to establish a base of sorts, where we can pool our resources and gather all the information we can, organize it and utilize it before we begin the mission.

Tshern
2010-07-26, 03:20 PM
"I do have a place we could use. It is not protected yet, but is safe enough for us to meet assuming we do not expect anyone to eavesdrop us randomly. On top of that, it can be warded rather easily."

Niezck
2010-07-26, 03:23 PM
Jumping off the ledge and shifting mid-air, Zer'ahn resumes his humanoid form and speaks once more.

Well, if there is nothing else, we should get on our way? He turns to the blonde man with this question.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-26, 03:28 PM
"If you tell me our destination, I can open a portal to that plane. It won't be perfectly accurate, I'm afraid, but this way you won't have to use up any of your magical energy."

Tshern
2010-07-26, 03:37 PM
"It is my home, Conscientia. The plane is small enough for errors to be negligible at worst, but it should do for planning purposes, unless someone has a better idea."

Any chance the location could be described accurately enough for Alexander to move us in?

Oslecamo
2010-07-26, 03:50 PM
Well, if there is nothing else, we should get on our way? He turns to the blonde man with this question.

Yes, now that you're aquainted to each other you should depart to a place where you can make your final preparations. I'll contact you again in a week to know how well you fared. Farewell!

You created the plane. Yes you can describe it with enough detail for teleportation magic.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-26, 03:59 PM
"Describe your home to me, and with a few minutes' concentration I can transport us all there."

Tshern
2010-07-26, 04:01 PM
"Certainly."

After explaining Conscientia's features and telling its position in the Cosmos, Petronella leans back following the magical process Alexander undertakes to move the party to her home...

OOC: Not exactly what the description would entail, so I assume I can skip that part with an out-of-character note and a brief explanation like this?

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-26, 04:14 PM
After Petronella finishes her explanation, Alexander nods and says, "I'll need a few minutes to prepare the appropriate incantation."
Taking a seat on a nearby ledge, he closes his eyes and adopts a look of deep concentration. A full five minutes pass before he opens his eyes, and when he does he springs to his feet and simply says, "Ready."
He holds out his hand, and a small silver knife with an inordinately sharp edge appears in it. He carefully draws the knife through the air in front of him, and a hole appears in the space in front of him. Through the new portal can be seen an entirely different place - one matching Petronella's general description of Conscientia.
Waving the other members of the party over, he says, looking directly at Zer'ahn, "Ladies first."

OOC actions: Five minutes to change incantations prepared, then the subtle knife incantation.

Niezck
2010-07-26, 04:35 PM
Then why aren't you through already? Replies Zer'ahn, before extending his arm in the direction of the portal and turning to Petronella.

After you.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-26, 04:43 PM
Alexander simply rolls his eyes at Zer'ahn before turning to Linteshar. With a small bow, he says, "After you, m'lady."

MikelaC1
2010-07-26, 09:04 PM
LINTESHAR

With an elaborate flourish of six swords simaltaneously (which of itself is quite a sight), Linteshar sheathes her swords in various scabbards located on her body.
She then slithers forward to the portal, takes one more look at the group and then slides through it.

Tshern
2010-07-27, 12:25 AM
Realising it is indeed wise for her to enter the plane first as to avoid causing any unnecessary confusion in her gardeners Petronella glides towards the portal saying "My gardeners are probably at work, but do not mind them, they are used to guests."

The plane itself is a rather modest one. A lush garden accompanied by small rivers and bonds covers most of Conscientia's landscape, but there are a few austere houses to accomodate the warforged gardeners, who spend most of their time making sure not a single dead plant foils the view. Finally one can see a beautiful marble house and a lake near the easternmost part of the plane.

Upon arriving to Conscientia Petronella immediately gives the gardeners a nod and they continue working. When the others reach the plane she welcomes everyone to her home "Not a pompous place, but it should do. Welcome and make yourself at home."

OOC: Feel free to act despite the fact she already welcomed everyone, I did not mean to impose.

Eldan
2010-07-27, 02:24 AM
Syan looks at the view, then nods.
"Perhaps few too many plants and not enough houses for my taste, but I think it will do for now."
Humming a little to himself, we walks over to the next gardener's house and sinks his hand elbow-deep into a wall, concentrating with his eyes closed. As he withdraws it a minute later, he has a smile on his face.
"I apologize. It's a happy place."

Niezck
2010-07-27, 05:11 AM
Stepping through the portal, The Changeling turns to Petronella and speaks softly.

It is simply beautiful.

With that he quickly takes the form of a large eagle and soars high above, taking in a view of the entire plane while circling a few times.

Tshern
2010-07-27, 08:08 AM
"Thank you, I have tried to keep my home very informal. I do have to ask you to respect the privacy of my servants and refrain from entering their houses, but otherwise the entire plane is for you to use and study."

Petronella's entire being changes significantly during the first few seconds she spends in Conscientia. She becomes more relaxed and all of a sudden she is full of vitality. Clearly it is a place she greatly appreciates.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-27, 08:36 AM
Alexander loiters for a moment on the other side of the portal. Turning back towards the entrance of the temple, he yells, "Time to go, Jader!"
Seemingly satisfied, he steps into the portal. As he takes a moment to admire the landscape, a wizened old man steps out from a previously unseen hidden alcove in the room Alexander had just left. Following Alexander through the portal, he gives the other members of the party a small smile and bow, but remains silent.
Alexander indicates him with a wave of his hand. "This is Jader MacArthur. He can provide us with long-term supportive magic before our raid, as well as provide us with tactical advisement using his knowledge of divinations."

Niezck
2010-07-27, 08:40 AM
Landing gracefully infront of the old man, Zer'ahn retakes his humanoid form and looks the human up and down before speaking verbally.

Pleasure to meet you ... I suppose. Are you another puppet of an arbitrarily almighty organization that nobody knows about and are therefore ridiculously important and trustworthy?

Eldan
2010-07-27, 08:45 AM
"Now, now..."
Syan steps next to Zer'ahn.
"You shouldn't criticize these organizations just for being secretive. If there wasn't anyone unreasonably paranoid about their secrets and powerful enough to afford ridiculous security measures, my work would become very boring. And less well paid."
He grins and elegantly bows to the newcomer.
"Syan of Emertia. At your service."
Standing back up with a flourish, he continues:
"For a reasonable fee. And yes, Emertia does not actually exist, but it makes my name sound much better."

Niezck
2010-07-27, 08:48 AM
Somehow, that isn't changing my opinion. Remarks Zer'ahn, before walking away from the old man and toward Petronella.

So, where would be best to set up?

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-27, 08:59 AM
Simply shaking his head at the retreating back of the shapeshifter, Jader returns Syan's bow and offers him a handshake. "Jader MacArthur, pleased to meet you. I hate to disappoint you and your friend there, kid, but I'm no Warden. Just here as a favor to Alexander - we go way back."

shadowedsoul
2010-07-27, 09:10 AM
Emily

Emily steps through the portal and looks around, after a moment of observation she nods to herself and finds a large tree to sit down under while the others make whatever magical preparations they need.

MikelaC1
2010-07-27, 12:35 PM
LINTESHAR

Linteshar walks into the garden, clearly impressed by the order and beauty of the landscape. She draws a deep breath of the clean, fresh air.

Of course, there is nothing even close to this where I originally hail from...and while I have seen a few, what do you call them, gardens?, on my time out of Abyss, none of them quite match this one. So many flowers, so many colors

She spends the next little while questioning Petronella as to what each different type of plant or flower is. (as much time as the party will allow her) It is clear that she has no understanding about plants at all, although she will sometimes attempt to compare some of them to things that grow in the Abyss.

Tshern
2010-07-27, 01:58 PM
Linteshar soon finds out Petronella is more than willing to answer questions about plants and clearly her passion for flowers is deep. Despite this, the garden itself follows no apparent logic with different flowers growing seemingly randomly next to each other, yet the gardeners move and act with astonishing efficiency treating the plants clearly following a predetermined pattern.

"Nowadays I spend very little time here, so it is always refreshing to breath this air. Unfortunately that is not what we came here to do...

After finishing her sentence, Petronella takes her goggles off and gives Linteshar an intense glance as if she could see to the depths of her soul with that look and then proceeds to put the mysterious goggles on again. "I assume you, as a Marilith, wield your swords with utmost precision and devastating strength? I happen to know a few conjurations that might be of some help in case we must face our foes on a battlefield... Consider the offer."

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-27, 03:48 PM
Although Jader appears rather awed by the display of natural beauty around him, Alexander takes little time to admire it. Beckoning for Jader to follow, he makes his way over to where Linteshar and Petronella are speaking. He addresses Petronella, as Jader stands silently behind him, watching Linteshar with a wary gaze.
"Your garden is truly awe-inspiring, m'lady, but perhaps we should focus on the task at hand? I'm sure a scholar of your calibur is as eager to recover those research notes as I am."

MikelaC1
2010-07-27, 08:15 PM
LINTESHAR

I am always interested in spells that can help my prowess in battle. I would be more than willing to accept anything you can cast to help me, so many fights turn into an exchange of magical volleys, so when I can finally corner someone and force them into a physical showdown, its important to be at my very best

Tshern
2010-07-28, 12:29 AM
Petronella is just finishing her discussion with Linteshar when Alexander walks to the spot, who sees how Petronella draws a plain golden ring from the right sleeve of her robe while talking to Linteshar "Whenever I fight with a swordsman by my side, I try to persuade them to use this ring. It reacts to mental commands and the spells therein are released. One to boost your defense, the other to boost your attacks. The duration of those enchantments are limited, but I can help with that, too. I still suggest we do that right before our departure."

After the final words have been spoken Petronella immediately shifts her attention to Alexander saying "Yes, planning is necessary and we should get to that as quickly as possible. Moreover, we also need to begin our journey without any unnecessary delays, because we do not know how fast Orcus' minions can crack the puzzle they have been given."

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-28, 09:20 AM
Alexander eyes the ring Petronella gave to Linteshar with interest for a moment, then directs his attention back to Petronella and nods in agreement.
"You mentioned earlier that you could gather intelligence by directing questions towards a higher power, no? Have you prepared this spell already today? What kind of answers can we expect from it?"

Tshern
2010-07-28, 09:42 AM
"My abilities to tap the arcane energies of the Cosmos go far deeper than merely preparing spells, Alexander. As such, yes, I can contact creatures of divine nature, but it is not without risks. The answers are, in general, reliable and usually consist of a single word."

After explaining the basic idea of the divination Petronella thinks for a second and continues "I would not underestimate the possibility of using divine powers here. Those empowered by belief are able to get perhaps even better answers..."

MikelaC1
2010-07-28, 10:36 AM
LINTESHAR

Linteshar accepts the ring with thanks to Petronella. She slips it onto one of her many fingers and concentrates on it for a moment, attempting to discern the powers hidden within it.

Tshern
2010-07-28, 01:41 PM
Not sure if you can recognise the spells, but they are Greater Blink and Wraithstrike. Both of which I will persist before the party departs.

Niezck
2010-07-28, 01:55 PM
Floating gently to the ground infront of Petronella, Zer'ahn once more resumes his humanoid form, remembering how much humanoids prefer it to his animal forms.

So, how long will be required to make preparations before going?

Tshern
2010-07-28, 02:15 PM
"Depends on how fast we get into an agreement what we will divine from Thanatos. To be honest, my divinations mostly require direct questions, which makes it hard to get a big overall picture of the situation there. Otherwise I would be ready to move in already."

While answering Zer'ahn's query Petronella looks as if she had a severe headache, but her expression becomes gradually more relaxed when she pushes her goggles a little closer to her eyes.

Eldan
2010-07-28, 02:36 PM
"What we must find out is simple: where is what we are looking for? How do we get there? How is it guarded? After that, getting it is the easy part.""

Tshern
2010-07-28, 02:54 PM
"I would be surprised and a little bit disappointed were we able to use simple divinations to find the location of the notes or too much information regarding its surroundings. Orcus has enormous resources and he is smart enough to use them. Hence, I would suggest, we get general information regarding the layer and use more mundane means of reconnaisance when we get there. I doubt we're hunted down the moment we get there."

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-28, 03:47 PM
Alexander shakes his head at Syan. "From what I understand of these types of divinations, we'll need to be far more specific than that. We need to know where the notes are, how many liches are translating them at any one time, what kinds of guards are in place, how the guards and liches communicate, whether we should expect them to be reinforced in force and how quickly such reinforcement would occur.. information will be our greatest weapon in this affair."
Jader chimes in, turning to Linteshar and asking, "Would you be recognized on sight by Orcus's minions? Perhaps you could perform some reconnaissance for us."

Niezck
2010-07-28, 03:52 PM
I can ensure that nobody here will ever be recognized at all during our mission, if we so wish.

Tshern
2010-07-28, 03:55 PM
"The Abyss is infinite and as such it is less than likely someone will recognise any single demon. Whether we want to risk that or not is another matter entirely. I suggest we keep our preparations brief and leave within 24 hours to Thanatos and find the notes. Bear in mind we do not know how much time we have."

Again Petronella seems to be in agony for a brief moment before adjusting her glasses once more.

MikelaC1
2010-07-28, 03:56 PM
"Would you be recognized on sight by Orcus's minions? Perhaps you could perform some reconnaissance for us."

I never had any dealings with the minions of Orcus...or even the fat one himself. Graz'zt, Malcanthet, Baphomet and perhaps Demogorgon might recognize me, but none of old roly-poly's undead

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-28, 04:05 PM
Alexander touches his scar, looking miles away for a moment. Jader shoots him a brief look of concern before glaring suspiciously at Linteshar, but Alexander seems to either not notice or not care. Taking on a mildly reproving tone, he says to Linteshar,
"You shouldn't take the demon prince of the undead so lightly, Linteshar. If you feel you are up to gathering some information for us, however, it would be a great help to our mission, but don't underestimate our enemy."

Tshern
2010-07-28, 04:25 PM
Orcus must be preparing for a raid of somekind. A Demon Prince does not live without enemies and his are plenty already within the Abyss, so he must have taken all possible precautions. Underestimating him might prove more devastating than death."

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-28, 04:28 PM
At this Alexander quirks an eyebrow and smirks slightly. "I'm not sure exactly how something could be "more devastating than death", but yes, Orcus will undoubtedly be on guard simply because it is his nature as a demon prince."

Tshern
2010-07-28, 04:30 PM
With a smile on her face Petronella responds "Try having your soul captured by a Demon Prince then..."

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-28, 04:32 PM
Alexander simply waves her off. "Better captured than dead, I say, but in any case we should aim for neither."

Eldan
2010-07-28, 05:32 PM
Syan hums to himself for a second, his fingers flashing a complicated pattern in front of his body, at the end of which his eyes glow a dark blue for just an instant. He then draws his sword slowly, whirling it around in a few quick slashes and then standing in a strange stance, one leg stretched out, the other slightly bent, sword raised in front of his body.

Casting Moment of Prescience (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/momentOfPrescience.htm)
Entering Wraithwalker Stance:

While in this stance, whenever you use a Shadow Hand strike or boost against an opponent, you can use any illusion spell you know as a swift action. Additionally, if attacking an enemy with a Shadow Hand strike or boost from a hidden position, you gain a bonus to the attack roll equal to your ranks in Hide divided by 4.

And Grace of the Wind Stance

As you assume this stance, your body is filled with celerity and grace, allowing you to move like the wind. You gain a +30 ft. enhancement bonus to your base land speed, and gain a +5 bonus on all Balance, Climb, Jump, and Tumble checks. You can move unhindered by most obstacles, as the freedom of movement spell.

MikelaC1
2010-07-29, 08:49 AM
I never underestimate a demon prince, I was just commenting on his appearance. Everyone knows what the true nature of Orcus is. But when we get to his home plane, I would be more than willing to scout ahead, the appearance of one more marilith wouldnt be cause for comment. Or at least, it shouldnt, at least not as much as when I try to scout into a human city.

Eldan
2010-07-29, 08:52 AM
"Of course, our scout could also just be a person who won't be seen in the first place."
Syan makes a vague gesture with his hand, as he turns around to the rest of the group.
"A person invisible and immune to the most common forms of detection, able to move through the ground, and able to hide on Orcus' nose, if necessary... yes, I'm talking about myself, as you might have guessed. I'm better at this than you."

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-29, 09:21 AM
"Perhaps, but remember that the area we're going to be raiding will, presumably, be full of liches attempting to decipher those notes. I'm sure at least some of them will have a way to penetrate your invisibility - unless you have a way to circumvent spells of true seeing, Linteshar will probably be our best bet. She has no disguise to be seen through."

Niezck
2010-07-29, 09:24 AM
You seem to be missing the obvious possibility. Make Syan look like a Marilith, then have him use his superior skills and his new looks to scout the city.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-29, 12:29 PM
Jader shakes his head before Alexander can respond. "A true seeing divination can penetrate shape-changing spells as well as invisibility. Linteshar will appear demonic regardless of what divinations are used on her."
Alexander nods slowly, looking pensive.
"The question remains, however, if that security from divination is worth sending Linteshar instead of a skilled infiltrator like Syan.. no offense meant, Linteshar."

Eldan
2010-07-29, 12:30 PM
"Oh, I know..."
Syan grins brightly, his eyes flashing.
"But... how far into a wall does True Seeing extend?"

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-29, 02:46 PM
Alexander nods in acquiesence. "I had forgotten about your unique abilities. Very well, if you feel you are capable, it may be best for you to go in Linteshar's stead."

Eldan
2010-07-29, 02:50 PM
"Can't blame you for that, can I? After all, I haven't told you about most of them. But yes, I can walk through walls. Or, if I want, back-flip into them. Of course, once we know who exactly we are looking for, I can just ask a few houses in Thanatos if they saw them."

Niezck
2010-07-29, 06:17 PM
So that's decided then. Syan finds out what we need to know, comes back here, then we go do what we need to do, right?

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-29, 06:37 PM
Alexander nods. "A simple plan, but sufficient for our purposes. Before you go, Syan, Jader can provide us with an interplanar telepathic bond so we can stay in communication. How long will you need to prepare?"

MikelaC1
2010-07-29, 07:15 PM
Linteshar bows to the superior scouting skills of Syan and starts work on sharpening her swords. You notice that she takes each one to a razor's edge.

Tshern
2010-07-30, 01:45 AM
"A good thing we have an excellent scout, it is likely that we will need one later on as well. Assuming he is leaving now, I can try to help those, who want any kind of arcane support for the operation."

While the group stands discussing their course of action, one of the warforged gardeners walks up to Petronella, but does not say a thing (as high level adventurers you do understand there must be some telepathy going on) and leaves to continue working on the Countess' elaborate garden. As soon as the gardener starts working again Petronella says "The good citizen there reminded me that I have been rude enough not to offer you anything. In the courts of my native area such behaviour would never fly, I apologise." Although her eyes, goggles to be exact, never move away from her companions she pulls a rather large magical package from the folds of her robes and places it on the ground and it extends to a full-sized pavilion filled with luxurious foods and exquisite drinks for all tastes. "Feel free to have anything you want."

Petronella sits down and piling different fruits and vegetables to her plate, while another gardener pours her a glass of wine. It is hard not to notice how at home Petronella feels right now.

Mechanical stuff below, I suggest you read that:
Anyone, who eats benefits from the spell Heroes' Feast. Enjoy.

MikelaC1
2010-07-30, 10:05 AM
LINTESHAR

Linteshar takes a plate, you see that she seems to prefer meats and fruits, but passes on any sort of vegetable product. She looks for something very strong to drink.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-30, 10:34 AM
Jader breaks out in a grin and rushes into the pavilion. Filling his plate with a wide variety of delicacies, he says to Petronella, "You don't know how nice it is for me to finally meet an adventurer who has more distinguished taste in food than simple field rations."
As Alexander enters the pavilion a second later, having walked at a more dignified pace, Jader levels a finger accusingly at him and says, mock seriously, "This man would have me eat nothing but rations and lukewarm water! It is a travesty in taste, I tell you, with no pun intended."
Filling his plate somewhat more moderately than Jader, Alexander says, "Thank you for the fine feast you have laid out before us, m'lady. You'll have to forgive Jader - he's simply still upset that I interrupted his breakfast this morning."

Niezck
2010-07-30, 10:41 AM
Devouring deceased animals, how noble of you all. I have no need to eat, especially not something so barbaric as that. Zer'ahn remarks coldly, before walking away from the group, exploring the gardens.

shadowedsoul
2010-07-30, 10:47 AM
Emily

Emily rolls her eyes at the self righteous shapeshifter as she grabs some food for herself.
Do you get all high an mighty when you come across a wolf or a panther too?

Tshern
2010-07-30, 11:08 AM
"Acquiring this magical pavilion was hardly an easy task, but one could say it has certainly paid off."

For a moment Petronella takes off her goggles and glances Linteshar curiously before putting them back on. "Hope this doesn't sound rude, but I must ask, do you believe you were chosen for this task, because you are a demon? Trying to put together a theory about why we were chosen from all the possible options."

Niezck
2010-07-30, 12:33 PM
When I come across a wolf or a panther, they accept that I am not their enemy and they do not attack.

Eldan
2010-07-30, 01:40 PM
Syan shrugs.
"Panthers eat... actually, I have no idea. But other animals. I eat roast. And cakes. And whatever else there is."
He walks over to the buffet table and eyes it.
"And, apparently, really, really fine bytopian brandy. Good choice."
He fills himself a glass and begins eating in little bites.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-30, 02:45 PM
Alexander raises an eyebrow at Zer'ahn. "It was only an animal, my friend." He pointedly helps himself to a small portion of meat before continuing. "Like any necromancer could tell you, a dead creature has no use for its body, no?"

Tshern
2010-07-30, 02:46 PM
"Good to hear the banquet meets your needs. The selection is indeed quite excellent, so far I haven't grown tired of it..."

MikelaC1
2010-07-30, 06:07 PM
"Hope this doesn't sound rude, but I must ask, do you believe you were chosen for this task, because you are a demon? Trying to put together a theory about why we were chosen from all the possible options."

I really have no idea of why I was chosen for this mission, but my demonic heritage might have something to do with it. I hope that its more about the fact that every so often, problems come along that just wont go away until you bash them continuously with weapons, and Im better at that than most. I would hate to be chosen only because Im a demon, especially since Ive turned my back on that heritage.

Tshern
2010-07-30, 07:37 PM
"You were definitely not chosen for being just a demon, but it might be a part of the story. Nevertheless, it doesn't hurt to have a native of the Abyss present, especially if she is as adept at keeping the rest of us safe."

M. Mayonnaise
2010-07-31, 07:51 PM
Jader, overhearing Petronella's conversation with Linteshar, chimes in.
"Madame Petronella, have you any history of confrontation with Orcus or his minions? I too am rather curious as to your employer's reasoning - a most curious assembly he has called together, no?"

Tshern
2010-08-01, 12:46 PM
"Technically speaking 'countess' would be correct," Petronella answers in a humorous manner and then continues "My dealings with the Abyss at large have been limited at best. Were I to make a guess, I would say I got picked, because I have seen two of these droids in action. They assaulted a small town I was visiting and I happened to be on their path..."

Eldan
2010-08-02, 06:42 AM
Syan finishes up his meal, carefully wiping his fingers on a handkerchief, then taking his glass of brandy back in his left hand.
"In any case, I think we are done with our preparations, for now. Would someone care to open a gate to Thanathos for me?"
With another quick spell he makes himself invisible, just in case.

Superior Invisibility, and off to Thanathos.

Oslecamo
2010-08-02, 07:10 AM
For simplicity's sake let's assume the phoenix prepared gate with it's cleric spell slots and casts it now

The breach between dimensions reveals a cold barren wasteland. Ash-grey clouds completely fill the sky and block most of the light meaning Thanatos is mostly covered in shaddows making it's impossible to see more than a few foots ahead of you, or some dozen foots for those of you with darkvision. The ground is frozen, cracked and completely devoid of signs of life besides bones of all kind scattered here and there. All covered by a tick layer of dust.

However in the distance you see massive red columns of liquid suddenly emerge from the ground and then subdue after some moments, like geysers, over a vast area.

In the middle of those geysers you can glimpse a massive gray citadel, with several lights on it, shining in the darkness as to atract travelers, smoke rising from several buildings inside. Sometimes those columns are disturbed as if something went trough them. You can't see much more detail from where you stand but it's surely Lachrymosa, capital of Thanatos.

So how do you aproach?

Eldan
2010-08-02, 09:01 AM
Taking in the sights, Syan gives a mental sigh.

Grey. Really. How... uninspired.

He carefully approaches the city, for now content to spying on it, instead of actually entering.

Plan:
1. Stealthily approach to within 200 feet of the first building, or 200 feet of any creature I can see, if any are closer than that.
Hide:
[roll0]
Move Silently:
[roll1]

2. If there are any roads, I will dive into them, only poking my head out while I approach.

3. If there are no obvious guards, I will approach closer, still staying at least 200 feet away from any creatures and look around what I see, then use the "City Adapation" ability to familiarize myself with the city's layout.

Oslecamo
2010-08-02, 01:12 PM
As Syan advances towards the city he does find a road, made of what seems like millions of bones crushed and compacted by countless millenia of undeads and demons walking over them.

Unfortenely the road is quite busy with several groups of demons and undeads walking in both directions, stumbling over each other in an endless frenzy, each group trying to literally go over the others.

Neverthless there's plenty of debris to hide behind in the field and Syan manages to aproach, evading the ocasional wandering zombie or scavenging minor demon.

As the city draws near it reveals to be more and more complex. Or perhaps just the resulf of the typical pure chaos of the Abyss. Even the outer walls seem made of several fortifications built one upon another. Several spires, towers and other tall buildings emerge from behind them, each with it's own architecture. Some of them of aparent impossible architecture, making one wonder how they don't colapse over themselves. But there's a clear lack of color. Besides red lights emerging from some windows the whole place is a dull grey with white, blue, brown and black spots. Even the demons themselves are covered in dust and dirt from head to toe, sometimes being hard telling them from the zombies.

Regardless, the city is clearly bursting with activity. Millions of voices seem to speak and scream from inside it mixed with several sounds of crafting and magic being operated inside. The road Syan had been following unites with others and leads to a massive open gate trough wich thousands of non flying demons squeeze against each other to try to gain entrance. Some huge nelfashees and glabrezus stand guard, deciding who passes and who stay. They don't hesitate to now and then smash the ocasional demon to try to get some order on the mob. Just behind them tower two gargantuan zombies filled with rusty armor plates, aparently waiting for any possible bigger trouble.

In the top of the massive walls you can spot the figure of more guards looking upon the fields, and over the city fly bands of vrocks. Whenever something takes flight from or into the city several Vrocks quickly gank it. Sometimes they immediatily disperse and let it pass. Others they keep ganking it and then disperse, leaving nothing behind. Six massive rotting dragon zombies fly as well over the city on perfect circles, aparently not bothering with anything.

Search for an unguarded way in doesn't reveal anything from the safe distance besides a large foul-looking sewer filled with the detritus from the city that leads to a massive red river behind the city, the river Styx. The sewer seems to be completely unguarded and leads to a dark opening on the walls, but then you notice a dretch slowly aproach it. Two giant tentacles quickly emerge from the water and drag the demon into the foul water. The surface bubbles for some moments and then lays calm once again.

Eldan
2010-08-02, 01:22 PM
Syan smiles grimly: this looked more interesting than he had thought, at first. Running, he approaches the wall itself, trusting his powers to keep him hidden from most normal guards, then, stepping into and out of the shadows, crosses the last fifty feet in a single step, standing in the shadow of the wall. Carefully, he holds out one hand and tries to sink it into the wall, only half an inch deep.

I have superior invisibility up and darkstalker, so I hope that keeps me hidden as I run up to the wall. I use a double move with my 90 ft. speed (Grace of the Wind) and Shadow Blink (Swift action 50 ft. teleport) to approach it, then test if my Building glide ability allows me to walk through these walls or they are magical.

Oslecamo
2010-08-02, 04:39 PM
Nobody seems to notice Syan, or at least no aparent alarm is raised. His hand sucessfully melds into the wall's stone, revealing it's not of magical nature. It however feels foul, as if the stone itself was evil.

MikelaC1
2010-08-03, 12:59 PM
LINTESHAR

Should we wait here for him, or should we at least transfer ourselves to that plane? Too much travelling to that plane might attract more attention, if we go and wait for him, it might not get noticed, as opposed to us popping in and out constantly. I certainly wont attract that much attention.

Eldan
2010-08-03, 01:16 PM
Syan sighs at the evil aura radiating from the stone.
Of course... that was to be expected.
He braces himself and fully dives into the stone, trying to contact the city's spirit while moving around in it's wall.

I spend ten minutes wandering around in the city wall to familiarize myself with it so I can use my other abilities on it.

Oslecamo
2010-08-03, 01:29 PM
The time passes specially slowly as every inch of your skin is filled with that foul sensation. The stone seems to pulsate as if it was truly alive and you feel like it is trying to overwhelm you, as if you could be crushed at any moment.

When the ten minutes are done the sensation changes. You're no longer in fear of being burrowed alive by the wall. You are the wall. You are the nearby buildings. You are the whole city. Filled with chaos, greed and malice. No, not those narrow-minded concepts. Change, ambition and power. A city bursting with potential and activity, where everybody and everything gets a new chance, where the weak and soft are replaced by the strong and hard. Hard as the stones of the wall where your body stands inside now.

You're adapted to the city. What abilities do you use? And what specific characteristics of the city do you want to know?

Eldan
2010-08-03, 01:32 PM
For now, I want to know about major buildings (my ability tells me major landmarks and public buildings. Apart from that, I'll wander around inside walls and streets where I can and ask the buildings if they have seen any Liches wandering around.

Oslecamo
2010-08-03, 03:42 PM
The main building of Lachrymosa is easily the Forbidden Citadel, the personal home of the previous ruler of this plane, Kiaransalee, who killed Orcus once. Altough the demon prince returned and killed her, this building built as a massive bust of it's creator still stands defiant thanks to several layers of powerfull defenses and still contains several sealed chambers filled with treasures and artifacts.

Vrayous is the palace of Glyphimhor, the balor who governs the city. Made of pitch black obsidian it's clearly the second biggest building in town. In there live several powerfull demons, sentient undeads and mortals that rule the city. Everything that happens in Lacrymosa is transmited there sooner or later and from inside those halls come the major decisions that keeps the city running.

The Cathedral of Rebirth is a massive dark temple to Orcus himself. There his priests offer the "gift" of greater undeath upon Orcus most worthy servants. Mummies, vampires, liches and worst things are created whitin the main chamber in luxurious rituals to serve the Demon Prince of Undeath.

The Great Crypt is a decrypt old massive building. It's catacaombs are used as the habitation and breeding installations of the worst kind of undeads, those that are too dangerous and/or unstable to let dwell in the main city. Being assigned to work there is normally viewed as punishment.

The Dark Library is the biggest tower on the city, extending high in the sky and glowing with a faint green light. There dwell the mightiest arcane casters of Orcus collecting arcane knowledge and crafting items and artifacts for his forces.

Finally the Death Pits are a large group of barracks, armories and other military buildings forming a circle. There demons pit their strenghts against each other to rise in the Orcus army ranks and creatures are made to fight each other untill death (and then undeath) for the amusement of the population.

In all the city, the biggest concentration of liches recently seems to have been in the Dark Library and Great Crypt.

Eldan
2010-08-04, 02:55 AM
Let's get to work.

Syan is no longer the weak little nobleman he played before. That personality is gone with the city that produced it. There is now a goal, and it is time to be ruthless and efficient to achieve it. When in the Abyss, do as the demons do.

Gliding through a street towards the Dark Library, another grin shows on Syan's face. They would never know what was lurking in their walls. Another spell was cast, and with blue glowing eyes, he studied the library's walls, seeking for weaknesses.

Casting Greater Arcane sight, then searching the Dark Library for defensive spells.

Oslecamo
2010-08-04, 06:02 AM
The Dark Library seems to light up when you cast the spell. Countless dots and auras surround it. Clearly the spellcasters on it didn't spare efforts on protecting their main center.

A thin fence made of bones guarded by skeletons in armor surrounds the tower. They don't look particularly strong, being only there to prevent the ocasional wanderer from aproaching the trap-filled tower. Indeed most passing demons try to keep a safety distance from the place.

The tower has a single main gate watched by a black colossal dog-like creature with thirty heads with glowing red eyes and massive sharp fangs, constantly moving them around as if searching for possible intruders.

Also, the tower itself isn't connected to any building besides a small pavement that goes directly trough said colossal dog. It looks too thin for you to be able to fully merge on it.

The tower's literally covered in:

-Alarm spells.
-Greater glyphs.
-Symbols of death
-Symbols of pain.
-Symbols of insanity.

Besides the gate watched by the thirty headed dog.

Eldan
2010-08-05, 05:46 AM
The dog might be a problem...

Syan wastes another minute of precious invisibility surrounding the tower again, before deciding on a plan of action. At full speed, he runs from the wall in which he previously hid towards the tower, leaping the fence and speeding towards the wall of the tower, then, as he approaches the wall, casting another spell.

Running while moving silently is a -20, so I should still have +70, I hope that's enough.
My speed is currently 90 ft., so I hope the jump check also isn't a problem. I use Sudden Leap to make the approach quicker.
Finally, as I get closer to the wall (say, sixty feet), I cast etherealness and pause to check for ethereal defences with greater arcane sight.

Oslecamo
2010-08-05, 09:53 AM
You try to aproach the tower as swiftly and quietly as possible, but one of the guard dog's heads spots you. In the next moment half the beast's heads turn towards you and start snarling.

the dog spoted you when you were roughly 100 foot away from the tower's walls. Roll iniative.

Guard dog's iniative:
[roll0]

If you beat the above you still have one round worth of actions before the guard dog attacks.

Eldan
2010-08-05, 01:19 PM
Crap. I forgot to mention that I tried to approach from the side opposite the dog. Oh well.
Initiative:
[roll]1d20+13

[/spoiler]

Eldan
2010-08-05, 01:21 PM
Roll broken.
[roll0]

Tshern
2010-08-05, 02:10 PM
Thanatos sure is a place I would not want to visit anymore. The previous trip there almost had me killed. Twice. Worst of all, I let the thief escape that time... Petronella thinks remembering her nigh-fatal hunt a few years ago. Giving no sign about her thoughts expect the slightest shiver, she turns her attention to her companions "Hopefully our scout is alright, the Abyss is not a safe place, even for warriors of your caliber. I also thought of some protections I could apply to us before we go in as well. Does anyone have something against that?"

Oslecamo
2010-08-05, 06:03 PM
The colossal guard dog leaps upon Syan with brutal speed, all his massive jaws open and closing viciously as if racing for the right to engulf the relatively small morsel. The human wisely calls upon his magic to increase his senses for a moment, saving himself from being crushed under his body, and then must use all of his reflexes acquired during his life to prevent himself from being crushed under one of the dripping jaws over him.

One of the heads actualy manages to sink his teeths into Syan's leg and pull him down on the ground. The bite would easily crush a normal being's limb into mincemeat but Syan's urban body is as tough as the city and reinforced by powerfull magic, allowing him to free the limb relatively intact. It still hurts like hell. The beast keeps snapping his jaws near him, threatening Syan at every angle whitout giving him a moment to concentrate.

Syan takes 86 damage from a natural 20, DR already taken in acount, but not confirmed crit. The guard dog also prevents Syan from casting spells on the defensive while whitin his reach.

Niezck
2010-08-06, 12:33 AM
Without turning away from the garden, Zer'ahn shouts to the group.

We should've set up some form of communication before he left. Who knows how long he'll be? Or even if he'll get back in one piece?

Eldan
2010-08-06, 06:33 AM
Syan cries out, half from pain, half from frustration at his failed plan. Instinctively he reaches for the amulet around his neck, the translucent gem in it's center flaring into action.

Using the Amulet of the Planes to travel back to base.
Intelligence Check to use it correctly (DC 15):
[roll0]

Oslecamo
2010-08-06, 07:22 AM
Syan sees the world twist around him as he activates the amulet, and suddenly he's back at Conscientia. Well, somewhere at Coscientia at least since the big lake near Petronella's main house is a small dot on the horizon. Still some walking to do but otherwise safe for now.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-08-06, 06:46 PM
Alexander stares into the Abyss as the Gate opens - literally - and even after it closes his gaze does not waver for a long while. Finally he turns back to answer Zer'ahn, but when he does it seems as though a shadow has passed over his face, making his expression look, for a moment as though it were twisted in an angry snarl. Whatever trick of the light created this impression fades almost immediately, however, revealing his customary impassive countenance. He shrugs at the shapeshifter's back and gives a small, wry smile.
"If he doesn't, at least that'll mean bigger shares for the rest of us."

Eldan
2010-08-06, 07:03 PM
Syan, though he is gritting his teeth over the bleeding wounds he has sustained, suddenly appears from a nearby shadow.
"Now, now. Isn't that a little impolite, discussing my shares before I'm even gone half an hour?"

Niezck
2010-08-06, 07:12 PM
I take it by the ... dripping ... Zer'ahn looks curiously at Syan's wounds before continuing. ... That you were caught?

shadowedsoul
2010-08-06, 07:16 PM
Emily

Emily snorts as the druid makes his observation.
Some sneak you are.

Eldan
2010-08-06, 07:21 PM
"Apparently, Orcus has a really, really good thirty-headed watchdog. One who can see ethereal, invisible, sneaking attackers immune to most senses.
But if you doubt my abilities, I'd be happy to let you try finding me sometime."

Niezck
2010-08-06, 07:29 PM
So what now? We can't just wander in there blindly, and yet our "sneaky" companion here failed to even get in the door it seems. Any suggestions?

M. Mayonnaise
2010-08-06, 08:29 PM
Alexander moves to support Syan. "You're an idiot if you walked on that leg, Syan. You need some medical attention."
He levels a glare at Zer'ahn.
"You're some kind of druid, aren't you? You should know some healing magic."

Niezck
2010-08-06, 08:38 PM
I suppose so.

With that, Zer'ahn casually walks up to Syan, placing his hands on the injured leg and closing his eyes. His hands beging to glow a faint green colour and the wounds start to heal. Syan feels himself revitalized and renewed.

Casting Heal, to cure 130 damage and remove all of the listed effects here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/heal.htm).

M. Mayonnaise
2010-08-06, 08:43 PM
Alexander steps back and looks away as Syan's flesh starts to knit itself and he regains the ability to stand on his own.
Jader walks over to them, observing "Y'know, you never quite get used to that." He offers Syan a glass of fine whiskey, preserved from the previous banquet.
"Healing potion? Never can be too healthy."

Ryuuk
2010-08-06, 08:52 PM
Ajira and Ovid

Ugh...

Focus

It's just too...

Ovid de Naso, Focus

It's too hot!

Then be glad we are traveling into a garden, not into Thanatos just yet. Your mind must be ready, otherwise, you'll lose yourself.

To Ajira... yes, thank you Master, I'll try to-... I Will... Be ready.

The prepare yourself for what is too come, do what is needed.

After the transformation, the Phoenix is rather quiet. Once the portal is opened, and the garden is visible on the other side, it turns back to the young man who introduced himself as Ovid, and walks through, a hand to his head. Being welcomed, he takes his time admiring the flora or at least appears to, while listening to the planning. In truth, anyone looking at him sees his eyes closed, in meditation. If asked anything, his answers are short and quick, he doesn't seem entirely there. Even with the feast, he thanks the host but eats little and once Syan is ready he performs a ritual that opens a short lived gate into the Abyss.

He continues to meditate in the his absence, and on his return, he finally nods to himself. "Aside from the beast, did you learn anything useful? Any idea on where in the city the documents would be?"

MikelaC1
2010-08-06, 09:08 PM
A thirty headed dog you say? I dont think I know that puppy's name, but I can see where sneaking by such a beast would be well-nigh impossible. Do you think it gaurds something really important to our quest.
The problem, as I see it, was that while all of us together could surely defeat the beast, the hue and cry of battle would bring too much attention

M. Mayonnaise
2010-08-06, 09:10 PM
"And are there other, less guarded locations of interest in Lachrymosa? We might as well take what we can while we're there - they will, of course, tighten security after our raid, if they haven't already."

MikelaC1
2010-08-06, 09:18 PM
Raid? Hardly? One fool hardy person, new to the city, wandered too close to the puppy and got chomped for his trouble. Probably happens at least once or twice a day, else why have the beast there. While there may be other places to check, I doubt that this little incident attracted any undue attention at all.

Niezck
2010-08-06, 09:21 PM
Turning to the group after ensuring that Syan's wounsd have healed, Zer'ahn speaks coldly.

The question remains ... How are we going to gather the information we need? We could simply shift in and hope for the best, but I don't particularly fancy our chances if that's the plan. Perhaps we should atleast try contacting a higher power, even if it may only prove slightly useful?

shadowedsoul
2010-08-06, 09:27 PM
Emily

Well we do have a demon here with us, maybe she could get into the city without attracting attention. She can't do any worse anyway.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-08-06, 09:29 PM
"Maybe we could kill the dog and have you take its place, Zer'ahn. Unless that's beyond your ability as a shapeshifter..?"

Niezck
2010-08-06, 09:33 PM
Oh yes, because nobody would notice a huge thirty-headed dog being killed and a replacement appearing out of nowhere.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-08-06, 09:39 PM
Alexander assumes a look of deep contemplation. "Well, we could all cast true seeing on ourselves, then turn the dog invisible and replace it with an illusion of a giant 30-headed dog, then kill the original, and then you could replace the illusion of the dog. And no one will be the wiser!"

shadowedsoul
2010-08-06, 09:42 PM
Emily

If you can make an illusion of the dog then why would he need to take it's place at all? True Seeing will see through his shapeshifting as easily as it will see through an illusion.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-08-06, 09:44 PM
"Okay, so we have Zer'ahn shapeshift into a female version of the 30-headed dog, and he can lure away the illusion of the dog, which will presumably be male, and then the liches will assume that their guard dog is gone for a legitimate reason, and then we can infiltrate the liches' den with ease!"
By the end of Alexander's discourse even Jader is looking at him strangely.

Niezck
2010-08-06, 09:52 PM
You worry me, Alexander. You really do. I'm not becoming a female thirty-headed dog. Besides the obvious reasons, how common do you suppose they are? It'd be pretty suspicious if one just wandered into Lachrymosa.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-08-07, 08:58 AM
Alexander grins.
"I've always had a theory that a being can only be so many centuries old before it loses its sense of humor. And besides, are you even male, Zer'ahn? I suppose you must have trouble keeping track.."

Niezck
2010-08-07, 10:03 AM
Zer'ahn walks toward Alexander casually, while replying.

I'm neither male nor female. I'm simply me.

Then he leans in close.

Does that worry you, child?

Tshern
2010-08-07, 12:57 PM
"While philosophy has its time and place, I am certain this is not it. We need to plan our next course of action and move swiftly. Hopefully the demons do not try to find out who angered the dog, otherwise they could be coming here next and I find that prospect horrifying. Perhaps it is time to advance with a slightly more straightforward approach?"

M. Mayonnaise
2010-08-07, 03:09 PM
"You're not exactly the most intimidating creature I've ever seen, Kar'enn - I mean, Zer'ahn. And I agree with you, Petronella. Let's head to the abyss, kill this creature, and raid the tower already. It can't possibly be so terrible as to overcome all of us."

MikelaC1
2010-08-07, 03:34 PM
The problem with that, as I see it, is not so much the puppy itself, but what will be attracted by the racket of killing it. Does someone have a silence spell that can cover an entire battle scene?

Tshern
2010-08-07, 04:20 PM
"I could conjure an illusion to hide the sounds. It would not fool many demons as a sight, but should keep the place silent for as long as we need."

Eldan
2010-08-07, 04:31 PM
"Getting into the city should be our least problem."
Syan sips the whisky, then steps to a nearby table, arranging a few items of food into a crude map.
"This is the entire city. The airspace is guarded by Vrocks, but neither it nor the gate guardians were any problem. The undead mostly hang out here, and here. While the first location would be interesting to hit in case we want to cut of Orcus' supply of new soldiers, the second location is the library, where the liches usually hang out, so I assumed the research was done there.
Now, that dog is, by itself, a problem: it could not detect me by scent, vibrations in the air or ground or sonar. I was invisible, even to common detection spells, sneaking up on it and ethereal. We must assume that not only does it have true seeing, it is also incredibly perceptive."

M. Mayonnaise
2010-08-08, 05:37 PM
"I advise that we kill it. That usually reduces power of perception. But whatever we do, we need to get going. They'll probably be on higher alert now, and seeing as you plane shifted right on the liches' doorstep, we must assume the worst: that a counterattack is imminent."

shadowedsoul
2010-08-09, 04:26 PM
Emily

Killing it sounds like fun.
Emily says.
I'd advise not rushing in headlong though, it obviously has ways of negating at least one member of our merry little band's skill set.

Niezck
2010-08-09, 05:49 PM
We can sit here all day and argue, or we can start making decisions. All those in favor of a direct assault - in, out and kill everything en route?

MikelaC1
2010-08-09, 07:08 PM
LINTESHAR

Linteshar slithers over to Zer'ahn.

I knew there was something I liked about you. Good and direct. Unless of course you arent voting in favour of an assualt. But count me in on the battle plan.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-08-09, 08:40 PM
Alexander nods. "We've not the time for anything else, so count us in."
Jader says, "I'm afraid the I won't have time to prepare any additional supportive spells if you embark on this assault immediately. You'll have to make ends meet with what you have - unless you think we can spare eight hours' rest. I do still have an interplanar telepathic bond spell prepared - Syan never gave me a chance to use it on him before he left, but it should be of some utility to you. Direct combat, however, is not my forte. I'll remain here, in Conscientia, and inform you if the demons launch a counteroffensive while you're away."

Ryuuk
2010-08-09, 09:09 PM
Ajira and Ovid

The hordes will crumble, the demons will fall. Even if Orcus himself comes, he will taste the glory of the Light and be turned by it...

Ovid nods. Slowly. A small part of him would rather not enter the dark as the only lantern, but the other, the greater part, was rallying for it. With such company, anything was possible. He knew his limits though, and if death would take him then would wrest control from even the embodiment of creation. He would not die here.

"Syan, if the hound the hound and the defenders were distracted elsewhere, could you go in and out? A frontal assault as a feint, while some of us head towards the real goal, that might work, no?"

Hearing Jader, he adds. "In that case, my Master would be glad to let bless any who would stand against Thanatos, he simply asks that you let him tend to your conviction so he can empower it."

Eldan
2010-08-10, 02:26 AM
"Most likely, yes. I would, however, also prefer if I had a defence against alarm and symbol spells, even though I could slip by on a parallel plane.

Niezck
2010-08-10, 04:42 AM
Turning to the phoenix, Zer'ahn replies.

A frontal assault as a distraction would be a waste of time. Why not simply focus all of our efforts on reaching the research and retreiving it?

Then to the rest of the group.

Regardless, I'm most certainly in favour of a frontal assault. Shall we begin?

Tshern
2010-08-14, 03:36 PM
"As much as I hate saying this, I believe an assault is our best course of action. After all, we have no idea how much time we have," are the words escaping from Petronella's mouth and she is clearly sad to utter them, but manages to continue with little hesitation "Let us get your spells going then, Linteshar, if you have nothing against it."

MikelaC1
2010-08-14, 03:40 PM
LINTESHAR

Linteshar draws all of her swords in an impressive flourish, the sight of a six-armed, fully armed demon is a bit unnerving, even considering some of the things you have seen.

Buff away, Im itching for some action.

Ryuuk
2010-08-16, 10:36 PM
Ovid and Ajira

Then let the demon welcome the flame of life, if she truly has turned away from the abyss.

Ovid nods. "Then I simply ask that you gather around..." He takes a deep breath, holds his hands together and turns to the floor with his eyes closed. At first nothing happens, but then two small flames, as bright as a candles, ignite in mid air, flanking him. He ignores them and continues his ritual. Every few seconds, another pair of flames comes forth, getting larger each time. By the time the 20th light ignites, the flames are each as large as a man's head. The flames orbit around him until they all burst at once, spreading a soothing warmth. Ovid looks up and speaks in two voices at once. "Know that the flame of life is with you, and against it's purity nothing that the cowards who fear it do will hurt you. Place you faith upon it and it will protect you..."

Ovid opens his eyes and takes a deep breath as the conviction of those who have opened their minds becomes almost tangible. He had to agree, it was rather invigorating.

Ritual to increase my caster level to 50, ignoring the usual limits imposed by it.
Extended Miracle (SLA) into Extended Mass Conviction (Spell Compendium), +10 Moral to saves for 1000 minutes.

This was the main buff I remembered, if there's others, just let me know. Also, if we need a ride to Thanatos, Ovid has access to Psionic Plane Shift, as long as we all make contacts, we can all make it there in one go.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-08-18, 11:20 AM
Alexander simply shrugs as the firebird finishes his ritual, feeling no different. "Let's go already," he says, sounding unusually impatient.
"Jader, if you will?"
Jader looks around, taking a quick tally of the group, before shaking his head. "It didn't even occur to me before, but my telepathic bond spell will only include myself and five others. Two of you are going to be left out, unless someone else has a similar spell they can use."

MikelaC1
2010-08-21, 10:13 AM
LINTESHAR

Linteshar gathers everyone together (with 4 free arms, considering the scroll, thats easy enough to do) forming a circle, and then activates one of her Plane Shift scrolls, moving the party to Lachrymosa.

[roll0] UMD on scroll.

EDIT: Thank god for a great skill bonus

Oslecamo
2010-08-22, 10:38 AM
The party materializes on the top of a large stone hill, part of a massive hill chain that stretches west and east as far as you can see. Here the enviroment is even colder and harsher than the one you could see from the gate opened earlier. At least there's almost no bone dust because of the stronger winds blowing it for the lower grounds. Those of you with better eyes can spot some wandering zombie and skeleton mobs walking on the wastelands below you.

Lachrymosa can be seen roughly a couple hundred miles to the west.

Choose how and from where do you aproach. You can assume Eldan's character told you all the details he witnessed himself.

Niezck
2010-08-22, 04:37 PM
Zer'ahn steps forwards and observes the barren wasteland before him.

Our best way in would either be above ground or below. Can any of you burrow with relative ease?

As you have seen him do before, he takes a moment and breathes in deeply before his body begins shifting into a gargantuan worm-type creature. A moment later and the worm vanishes from your sight, burrow deep into the ground. The (somewhat) familiar voice speaks once more to you minds.

If we can approach citadel under here, I believe we could get in undetected. I can try to make a tunnel for those that can't, but I'm unsure how well it'd work out.

Shifting into Great Beast form, using Child of Earth to get a 30ft burrow speed.

Can I make a tunnel for others to follow, considering I'm burrowing as a Gargantuan creature and they're all Medium?

Oslecamo
2010-08-22, 04:42 PM
Yes you can. You have some kind of tremorsense to see where you're going?

Niezck
2010-08-23, 04:12 AM
I'm fairly certain I get it from something, it's just a matter of finding what that is. It'd be kinda fun if I didn't though ... makes it more interesting :smalltongue:

MikelaC1
2010-08-23, 08:11 PM
LINTESHAR

Linteshar follows after the burrowing worm, leading the way for the rest of the group. Her weapons are out as if she expects an attack at any moment, given where she is, its quite likely.

Tshern
2010-08-24, 04:40 AM
Right before the departure Petronella looks at everyone declaring that she will take care of the communication problems "I can already communicate telepathically, I can do better than that. Allow me to cast this spell upon you."

Upon arrival to the Abyss Petronella's entire being seems to change. While it is still all but impossible to see her eyes through the deep blue glasses, one can almost feel her penetrating stare studying everything around her. On top of this, whenever she moves a blur follows her, something that never happened in Conscientia.

Effortlessly Petronella follows the burrowing worm gliding through earth as she sees fit, but making sure to remain behind Linteshar hoping to gain additional protection that way.

Using Uncanny Forethought to cast Interplanar Telepathic bond, using my Greater Anticipate teleport slot. The caster level is 29 (base)-2 (Uncanny forethought)+1 (Ring of Arcane Might)+1 (Ioun stone)+5 (Suffer the flesh)= 34.

shadowedsoul
2010-08-24, 08:56 AM
Emily

Emily follows the giant worm toward the city, flexing her claws a little before entering the tunnel.

I don't really care where in the order I am, it'd probably make sense to take rear guard though since I can take a hit or two if I have to.

Tshern
2010-08-24, 11:30 AM
For ease of reference, here are Petronella's special senses:
-Blindsight 60ft
-Mindsight 100ft
-Automatically detects spellcasting within 60ft

M. Mayonnaise
2010-08-24, 03:06 PM
Alexander hasn't said a word since the party shifted to the Abyss. He follows, silently, behind Linteshar. He remains, you note, completely unarmed.

I've got true seeing out to 120'.

Niezck
2010-08-24, 05:00 PM
Assuming the others are following in its wake, the worm begins to tunnel in the general direction of the city, making sure to keep well beneath the surface.

Since I have no form of tremorsense, can I make an int check to judge roughly when I'm close? If so ... [roll0].

If not, I'll keep peering up ever-so-slightly through the soil, to see how far away it is.

Eldan
2010-08-24, 05:14 PM
Syan looks at the landscape, frowning at how far they are from the city, then sighs and moves into the tunnel.

Tshern
2010-08-24, 05:24 PM
Petronella sound echoes in everyone's head as if the sound was bouncing from the walls, empty and dim "Are we going to the right direction? I can try to sneak glances to the world above if you wish, I can move through the ground with no trouble at all and that might be more discreet..."

Niezck
2010-08-24, 05:27 PM
Replying in kind, Zer'ahn's voice enters your heads.

Perhaps that would be a good idea. My sense are somewhat ... dulled ... in here. We're going roughly in the right direction, but I can't be certain of the distance.

Scratch my previous idea then.

Tshern
2010-08-25, 03:40 AM
"Or I could teleport us there, seeing how the planar travels accuracy was not quite optimal. Frankly, I prefer the latter idea, but I need a description of our destination."

MikelaC1
2010-08-25, 06:30 AM
seeing how the planar travels accuracy was not quite optimal.

Linteshar looks back over her shoulder.

I heard that :smalltongue:

Niezck
2010-08-25, 06:58 AM
Considering the importance of this fortress to Orcus, it will surely be guarded against direct teleportation?

Tshern
2010-08-25, 07:49 AM
"Our scout got near enough, didn't he?"

Eldan
2010-08-26, 12:00 PM
"But not by Teleportation., Syan notes.
"I walked through the city and streets for the final approach."

Niezck
2010-08-26, 01:48 PM
Perhaps teleporting us a little closer would be beneficial. It could take me some time to tunnel right up to the city.

Oslecamo
2010-08-26, 06:00 PM
I must point out Eldan's character did saw some demons poping in and out from the city streets during his scouting mission, strongly sugesting teleportation isn't blocked, at least in the "public" areas.

M. Mayonnaise
2010-08-27, 02:56 PM
Alexander simply rolls his eyes and groans a bit dramatically. With a wave of his hand a slightly-glowing handaxe appears in his waiting grasp, and he throws it frustratedly at the wall of the tunnel - though it seems to vanish just a moment after impact.
"Whatever you're going to do, just decide already. Teleporting won't save us any time if you wait to cast the spell until we're on Orcus's doorstep."
He seems agitated and impatient in this place, far removed from his collected, neutral mask that he wore before.

Niezck
2010-08-29, 02:51 PM
((Tshern hasn't been online in 3 days, so can we assume that we get teleported in?))

Oslecamo
2010-08-29, 08:17 PM
While you discuss you keep digging forwards, guided by Petronella's quick trips to the surface, untill suddenly you emerge into what looks like a natural cave. Except it stinks horribly. And those of you with darkvision can notice the cavern's walls are partially worked. And then you notice the cavities on the walls with half-decomposed skeletons. Dozens, perhaps hundreds of them piled up on each other. Only a few of them humanoid. You can spot draconic remains, what looks like demons and somethings you have no idea what it could be when it was alive.

You emerged inside some kind of massive crypt room. Besides the side from wich you entered from the walls are solid worked stone that can't be tunneled trough, but there's two large rusted iron doors on front of you and to the left.

Those of you with more keen ears can hear faint steps and voices above you. Lots of them actualy. And now and then a bigger step that shakes the ceiling and releases some dust. You seem to be below the city you wished to enter.

Niezck
2010-08-29, 08:30 PM
Having reached their destination, Zer'ahn shifts once more into his insectoid form. This time, however, he looks significantly different - taller, more muscular and with thick, chitinous plates covering his body.

Seems we're here.

Tshern
2010-08-31, 03:43 PM
"The stench, however, is repulsive. Does anyone have a plan as to how we should proceed?"

MikelaC1
2010-09-03, 10:23 AM
LINTESHAR

Linteshar slithers over to the rusted iron door in front of the party, and looks for some sort of handle to use in opening it. When she finds it, she grabs onto it with two hands and yanks it open, keeping her weapons ready in her other 4 arms.

Oslecamo
2010-09-04, 05:15 PM
As Linteshar aproaches the door she notices it is covered in engravings of hundreds of tiny heads screaming, wich almost seem to be moving. Having seen worst during her life she isn't intimidated by this and quickly finds a dust covered handle to push. The door creacks and opens, revealing a large dark corridor extending for several dozens of foot and then turning out of sight, with several crumbling arcs on the sides. The place reeks of old.

Massive silk webbings cover most of the dark deterioating walls. In some exposed places you can notice writings on the masonry in some kind of fiendish ancient language and small statues representing demons and other unenditifiable creatures.

roll spot checks.

MikelaC1
2010-09-04, 06:47 PM
LINTESHAR

[roll0] Spot

Linteshar draws the swords that she had to sheath to open the door, and turns back to the rest of the group.
So, do we start down the corrider? I have no problem with taking the lead if so
She turns back to the corrider, fully ready to sliter down it.

shadowedsoul
2010-09-04, 06:56 PM
Spot Check-[roll0]

Niezck
2010-09-04, 09:34 PM
[roll0]

Wouldn't it be more efficient to roll them for us?

Shifting into the form of a great wolf, gargantuan in size and strength, Zer'ahn leaps forwards, taking up position behind Linteshar.

His voice pierces your minds again.

Proceed.

Tshern
2010-09-06, 12:34 PM
Spot check: [roll0]

Eldan
2010-09-06, 01:22 PM
Spot Check:
[roll]1d20+6

Huh. Never noticed that I didn't put enough ranks in spot.
[/spoiler]

Oslecamo
2010-09-07, 01:23 PM
As Linteshar and her allies glances over the corridor they don't notice anything...Untill a something massive suddenly emerges from the webs and charges against the marilith with alarming speed and agility for something of it's size.

It's a colossal white-green maggot, it's flesh covered in small tendrils that lash at everything nearby. At it's front it possesses multiple minuscle emerald-green eyes and a massive jaw wich it uses to bite at Linteshar viciously. The Marilith's armor and tough skin absorb most of the blow but it still hurts. The colossal maggot then tries to get a hold of the marilith, but her ring of freedom allows her to slip free easily.

Situation:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg138/oslecamo/Extras/multiverse.png

Crunch:

The big green circle is the maggot, grey areas are filled with web.

Linteshar takes 59 damage

Other players please pick positions at the southern room.

Roll Iniative

Maggot's iniative: [roll0]

Niezck
2010-09-07, 01:28 PM
Zer'ahn would probably be around 12W-ish. Although he's gargantuan right now, soooo ...

[roll0]

Zer'ahn speaks telepathically, as usual.

[color=green]Are you okay Linteshar? Allow me to go infront. I'd like to see this beast do that to me![color]

shadowedsoul
2010-09-07, 01:29 PM
Initiative-[roll0]

I believe Emily was bringing up the rear, so I guess I'll just be right next to the door. What's the scale of that map?

MikelaC1
2010-09-07, 01:54 PM
LINTESHAR

Linteshar calls over her shoulder to Zer'ahn.

Im fine. And switch places with you? Why in the world would I do that, I would miss all the fun. Im not giving up my first chance for battle in ages

Linteshars swords are already out, and they begin to whirl in a blinding pattern of steel

[roll]1d20+17/roll] initiative

Will wait to post attack rolls until you list the final order...unless you want them now

MikelaC1
2010-09-07, 01:56 PM
Stupid screwed up rolling post

[roll0] Initiative

MikelaC1
2010-09-09, 06:12 AM
LINTESHAR

Linteshar is a blur of action as her six swords sparkle and flash as they slice and dice.

(OOC: This will take a lot of typing)

Attack Rolls
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]

[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]

[roll20]
[roll21]
[roll22]
[roll23]
[roll24]

[roll25]
[roll26]
[roll27]
[roll28]
[roll29]

Damage rolls
[roll30]
[roll31]
[roll32]
[roll33]
[roll34]
[roll35]

[roll36]
[roll37]
[roll38]
[roll39]
[roll40]
[roll41]

[roll42]
[roll43]
[roll44]
[roll45]
[roll46]
[roll47]

[roll48]
[roll49]
[roll50]
[roll51]
[roll52]
[roll53]

[roll54]
[roll55]
[roll56]
[roll57]
[roll58]
[roll59]

[roll60]
[roll61]
[roll62]
[roll63]
[roll64]
[roll65]

EDIT: From Wraithstrike those are all touch attacks.

MikelaC1
2010-09-09, 06:17 AM
And to confirm crit threats

Arm 3 Attack #2
[roll0]

Arm 4 Attack #2, 5
[roll1]
[roll2]

Arm 5 Attack #3, 5
[roll3]
[roll4]

Damage
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

Oslecamo
2010-09-10, 04:40 PM
Linteshar has little trouble hiting her massive target, but as she cuts pieces of the maggot's tick skin it only reveals green pus and more hide, whitout any sign of a vital organ. It doesn't seem to feel any pain from the blows, and it releases an even fouler smell from it's new holes, like fresh vomit.

All attacks hit, but the monster has high DR that considerably reduced the damage taken. Criticals didn't deal any extra damage.

For the other players, IT'S YOUR TURN TO ACT AS WELL!

MikelaC1
2010-09-10, 04:59 PM
All attacks hit, but the monster has high DR that considerably reduced the damage taken.

Linteshar's swords have transmuting on them....first hit takes DR but then the swords overcome the DR.

Oslecamo
2010-09-10, 07:25 PM
Transmuting assumes that the DR can be bypassed by something. This is DR/-

Niezck
2010-09-11, 07:36 AM
Leaping forwards, the gargantuan wolf lets rip a flurry of bestial strikes. Claw and tooth become one as it tears at the giant worm.

Charge + Pounce

Bite

[roll0] (Crit 19-20, X2)
[roll1] (Crit 19-20, X2)
[roll2] (Crit 19-20, X2)
[roll3] (Crit 19-20, X2)
[roll4] (Crit 19-20, X2)

Crit Confirms:

[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

[roll10] (+1 Dex Damage, -5ft To All Speeds)
[roll11] (+1 Dex Damage, -5ft To All Speeds)
[roll12] (+1 Dex Damage, -5ft To All Speeds)
[roll13] (+1 Dex Damage, -5ft To All Speeds)
[roll14] (+1 Dex Damage, -5ft To All Speeds)

Claws

[roll15] (Crit 19-20, X2)
[roll16] (Crit 19-20, X2)

Crit Confirms:
[roll17]
[roll18]

[roll19]
[roll20]

Tail

[roll21] (Crit 19-20, X2)
Crit Confirm: [roll22]

[roll23]

M. Mayonnaise
2010-09-11, 03:36 PM
Alexander would probably be around 15z, if that's acceptable. Initiative [roll0]
Alexander starts slightly in surprise as the worm comes barreling towards Linteshar. He recovers quickly and, looking directly at the disgusting creature, enunciates rapidly but clearly, "You are under arrest. Cease hostilities or die sooner."
Alexander has an intimidate check of [roll1], if that's applicable against this thing (that includes the penalty for being four sizes smaller than the enemy).
Alexander waits for no response from the monster, immediately moving on the offensive.
He viciously sweeps his left hand to the side, sending four bright pinpoints of light streaking at the maggot. Each pinpoint explodes into more than a dozen streaks of light which come careening back at the worm.
Starfury incantation creates four +8 collision ghost touch merciful vampiric shurikens.
Attack rolls (including penalty for firing into melee):
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
Damage:
[roll]1d2+13[roll] plus [roll6] for merciful plus [roll7] for vampiric
[roll]1d2+13[roll] plus [roll8] for merciful plus [roll9] for vampiric
[roll]1d2+13[roll] plus [roll10] for merciful plus [roll11] for vampiric
[roll]1d2+13[roll] plus [roll12] for merciful plus [roll13] for vampiric
All damage dealt is considered divine damage.
The secondary attacks then deal [roll14] divine damage, reflex DC 37 for half.

The streaks of light impact the maggot with some force, exploding all along its skin. Though the resultant lightshow is dazzling, Alexander scowls - an astute observer notes that not a single pinpoint of light pierced the creature's hide. Undeterred, however, the mage leaps into the air, taking flight and heading straight for the beast.

Uses move action to fly up and in front of the beast - I've got 180' fly speed with perfect maneuverability. I'll fly up until I'm level with the creature's equivalent of a face, then hover at that elevation.

shadowedsoul
2010-09-13, 06:44 PM
Emily

After her allies deliver their blows to the beast Emily moves faster than someone with her bulk should be able to, growing quickly before charging forward clawing and biting furiously at the worm.

Swift Action-Assume Spirit Shape

Full Round Action-Charge (Power Attacking for 1 pt.)
Bite Attack 1-[roll0]
Bite Damage 1-[roll1]
Bite Attack 2-[roll2]
Bite Damage 2-[roll3]
Bite Attack 3-[roll4]
Bite Damage 3-[roll5]
Bite Attack 4-[roll6]
Bite Damage 4-[roll7]
Bite Attack 5-[roll8]
Bite Damage 5-[roll9]
Each bite attack that hits also inflicts 1 Dexterity Damage and a cumulative -5 penalty to all forms of movement.

Claw Attack 1-[roll10]
Claw Damage 1-[roll11]
Claw Attack 2-[roll12]
Claw Damage 2-[roll13]
Claw Attack 3-[roll14]
Claw Damage 3-[roll15]
Claw Attack 4-[roll16]
Claw Damage 4-[roll17]

Each attack that hits also acts as a bull rush-
Bite 1-[roll18]
Bite 2-[roll19]
Bite 3-[roll20]
Bite 4-[roll21]
Bite 5-[roll22]
Claw 1-[roll23]
Claw 2-[roll24]
Claw 3-[roll25]
Claw 4-[roll26]
I won't knock the creature out of my reach (20 ft.) unless claw attack 4 hits (my last attack), in which case that one will go ahead and just knock the beastie as far back as possible. Also due to my knockback feat (which is what lets me make the bull rushes like this) I don't move with the worm as it gets pushed back.

If Eldan posts before the worm's turn then this will happen after his turn if that's kosher.

Oslecamo
2010-09-14, 06:29 PM
The party ganks on the maggot, tearing apart it's now clearly undead flesh layer by layer, but the monstruosity refuses to kstop moving despite being half-ripped apart by now, lashing violently at the ones who charge it.

Then, it rises up it's body and seems to convulse itself for a moment, before vomiting it's innards cover you, a sea of green nauseating liquid mixed with corroded bones and pieces of equipment.

The substance is the foulest thing you ever smelled, saping your stamina mercilesly despite your protections, aparently sinking inside your every skin pore.

Worst, as the bones and pieces of equipment slip from your bodies and fall to the floor they start geting togheter and forming six vaguely humanoid large armed skeleton figures, wich slowly start to animate and surround you.

Situation:
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg138/oslecamo/Extras/multiverse-2.png

Crunch:

Emily takes 58 damage from an Aoo, DR already taken in acount.
Zer'ahn takes 56 damage from an Aoo, DR already taken in acount

You all take [roll0] Con penalty(not damage or drain), reflex save 50 for half from the breath-vomit. The substance covering you looks like it could be scrapped.

Eldan
2010-09-15, 07:49 AM
After staring at the maggot for several seconds with a disgusted look on his face, Syan sighs and dives into the ground underneath, his mind once more connecting to the abyssal city.
Swimming through the stone, he approaches the Maggot, reaching out from underneath it to strike it's vulnerable points.

Moving to just underneath T 15 (60 ft.)
As part of that, I'm hiding while moving (-20), with Darkstalker, if necessary.
[roll0]

Swift Action: Wraith Walker Stance
Then: Five shadow Creeping Ice Enervation Strike
To hit:
[roll1]
Damage:
[roll2]
Plus additional effect:
[roll3]

Eldan
2010-09-15, 07:52 AM
Black ice forms around Syan's blade, seeking the Maggot's Heart.

Struck in the Heart:
Dexterity damage:
[roll0]
Strength damage:
[roll1]
Constitution damage:
[roll2]

A fortitude save DC 24 (haha) halves the strength and dexterity damage and negates the con damage.

Niezck
2010-09-15, 02:40 PM
A quick paw gesture and Zer'ahn's form becomes blurred and fuzzy. The goo seems to vanish from his body as he appears more alive than before - stronger, faster.

With this new life in him, the great wolf-like beast releases another flurry of attacks against the worm.

Swift: Quickened Time Stop SLA. 2 Rounds.

Round One:

Swift: N/A
Full-Round: Remove the goo

Round Two:

Swift: N/A
Move: N/A
Standard: Blur SLA

Full-Round: Full Attack

Bite: (Crit 19-20, X2)
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Bite Confirm:
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

Claw 1: (19-20, X2)
[roll10]

Claw 1 Confirm:
[roll11]

Claw 2: (19-20, X2)
[roll12]

Claw 2 Confirm:
[roll13]

Tail: (19-20, X2)
[roll14]

Tail Confirm:
[roll15]

Bite Damage:
[roll16] (+1 Dex Damage, -5ft to all speeds)
[roll17] (+1 Dex Damage, -5ft to all speeds)
[roll18] (+1 Dex Damage, -5ft to all speeds)
[roll19] (+1 Dex Damage, -5ft to all speeds)
[roll20] (+1 Dex Damage, -5ft to all speeds)

Claw Damage:
[roll21]
[roll22]

Tail Damage:
[roll23]