PDA

View Full Version : Ghoul PC 3.5

Orzel
2010-07-24, 10:03 AM
One of my players wants to be a ghoul. A ghoul who just becomes more ghoulish. I accepted his backstory to get him to CN.

The thing is he only wants to be a ghoul. No class levels, just undead HD at level up. But undead HD stink. My idea to balance him is double his XP gain, restrict his "class" skills to the ones in the entry, increase his size per 12 HD, and never "ghast" him.

Seem fair? Enough to not bore in and out of combat? Any thing to worry about?

kabof
2010-07-24, 10:36 AM
There's a Ghoul undead monster class in Libris Mortis. Worth taking a look.

Runestar
2010-07-24, 06:56 PM
Screw the ghoul monster class, it is ridiculously weak at ECL5. Consider the gravetouched ghoul template (libris mortis) instead, you pretty much get the same benefits at a more reasonable LA+2 (sans the racial HD).

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-24, 09:05 PM
take the above template

I would suggest you have him take ranger (replace the TWF tree with multiattack, improved multiattack, then rapidstrike (claw)), favored enemy on his prey, track to hunt them down, and good bab to eat them. Have him take feats like ability focus to up the saves on his abilites and let him go to town eating people.

Just don't bother calling him a ranger, he is just a ghoul who is good at being a ghoul.

Rainbownaga
2010-07-25, 12:26 AM
Try the ghoul PC class, but change level adjust to more HD. That way they're only half BAB, but they get much better class features than they would as a melee class and all the benefits of being undead (poison immunity, non-lethal immunity, crit immunity, con as a dump score)

The additional limmiter is the no-armor, only simple weapon proficiency penalty, but since you get natural armor as a class feature I think it's only fair.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-25, 04:24 AM
Throw another vote to grave-touched ghoul and top it off with LA buy-off so that said PC won't have to worry about the terribleness of dead levels and/or undead HD.

Orzel
2010-07-25, 07:13 AM
Crap. Wish I still had my Libris Mortis.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-07-25, 08:28 AM
Try this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8164244&postcount=269). It scales with non-Ghoul class levels (or should do, most other classes in that thread do) so you become more Ghoul-ish as you gain class levels in it or other classes.

The rest of the stuff there is also good.

Prime32
2010-07-25, 09:34 AM
Here (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Tome_of_Necromancy_%283.5e_Sourcebook%29/New_Rules#Ghoul)'s an LA +0 ghoul template with a racial paragon class.

What level are you playing at?

Tetsubo 57
2010-07-25, 12:16 PM
Here (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Tome_of_Necromancy_%283.5e_Sourcebook%29/New_Rules#Ghoul)'s an LA +0 ghoul template with a racial paragon class.

What level are you playing at?

I like this option. Though I don't think you would have to be Evil. I would make the requirement, Non-good in alignment. If the character kills sentient beings for the purposes of eating them, that would be evil. But if they just eat the dead I would see that as non-good in the D&D universe.

Frankly I don't consider eating the dead a moral issue. But that's just me.

Eldariel
2010-07-25, 05:18 PM
You could refluff a class into Ghoul growth, or use something like Evolved Undead with HD instead of LA as his progression. Otherwise, he's gonna need ~2-for-1 HD progression to stay remotely competitive.

Hurlbut
2010-07-25, 06:05 PM
I like this option. Though I don't think you would have to be Evil. I would make the requirement, Non-good in alignment. If the character kills sentient beings for the purposes of eating them, that would be evil. But if they just eat the dead I would see that as non-good in the D&D universe.

Frankly I don't consider eating the dead a moral issue. But that's just me.Undead for most part is evil. They are no longer part of the natural cycle of Life and Death.

Coidzor
2010-07-25, 06:09 PM
Undead for most part is evil. They are no longer part of the natural cycle of Life and Death.

Hence the question of what about this is inherently evil. Ghouls, Vampires, Wights, those make sense due to being intelligent and cruel and preferring their meals to be of the sapient races they were once part of.

awa
2010-07-26, 10:28 AM
logical a good or neutral aligned ghoul would refrain from using attacks that might create more ghouls. Also i would second the idea that straight ghouls is to weak. Their were specialty undead prestige classes in liber mortis but you already mentioned you don't have that book so that dose not really help you. Personally i would suggest making a home brew ghoul class with the abilities he wants.

Malakar
2010-07-26, 11:56 AM
A search for "Ghoul Class" in the homebrew forums brings up this:

True Ghoul (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121300&highlight=ghoul+class) class.

It has some problems, like it doesn't define itself that well. For example, I would assume that the race aspect would grant undead immunities and take away the con score, but it's not spelled out what it does if anything.

Also, some of the abilities are similarly not well defined. Like the one about charging his claws with negative energy. What's the duration?

But it's certainly a start on being a PC who is a ghoul, and becomes more ghoulish.