PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Domains Question

bartman
2010-07-24, 12:17 PM
Is it possible to take a domain twice, so I get the power for the domain, as well as the ability to trade for the devotion feat?

I am considering taking cloistered cleric as a 1 level dip, with the animal, and double knowledge domains, so i get all knowledges as class skills, as well as animal and knowedge devotions, without burning a feat.

To make it easier for my DM to digest, if it is even possible to double up the domains, I plan on ignoring the spellcasting all together.

PS this is a pathfinder game with 3.5 allowed to be interchanged freely (subject to DM acceptance)

Volos
2010-07-24, 12:42 PM
You can only select a domain once. Just as you can only select a prohibited wizard school once. This entire idea is the worst case of "creative player didn't bother to read the PHB" I have ever seen.

Wow.

Just wow.

balistafreak
2010-07-24, 12:58 PM
It's not blatant munchkinery, mate. The premise is that by trading it for the feat, you no longer have it; allowing you to take it again as a normal domain.

It's hardly like picking the same school twice to be banned for Wizard specialization.

While I believe it is still illegal by RAW, heck, I'd allow it as a DM.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-24, 01:12 PM
Raw says you trade domains for devotions, and that you can't take a domain twice...But it ends there. It's obscure whether or not you could take a domain, trade it for a feat and take the domain again.
It's as if you were taking the domains at separate times.I wouldn't allow it.

It's as if you replaced a D8 dice with a D6 dice for an extra feat. Feels like it ticks the wrong way.

WarKitty
2010-07-24, 01:16 PM
Doubt it's RAW, but it sounds like a cool concept. Especially if you think of it as a cleric who is super-devoted to a specific power. If you're ignoring or limiting spellcasting I don't see how it would break anything.

bartman
2010-07-24, 01:28 PM
I figured the spellcasting limitation would more than balance it out, and I am also willing to burn the feat if I have to, would be nice if i did not have to though.

thanks for the insight, and for the most part, agreeing with the cool idea :)

balistafreak
2010-07-24, 01:54 PM
It's as if you replaced a D8 dice with a D6 dice for an extra feat. Feels like it ticks the wrong way.

You do also lose medium/heavy armor proficiency and get poor BAB.

However, while both are noticeable at lower levels of play, at higher levels you have a Monk's Belt and Persisted Divine Power anyways, soooooo... yeah.

Clerics are good. Cloistered Clerics, even more so. :smallbiggrin:

Snake-Aes
2010-07-24, 02:12 PM
You do also lose medium/heavy armor proficiency and get poor BAB.

However, while both are noticeable at lower levels of play, at higher levels you have a Monk's Belt and Persisted Divine Power anyways, soooooo... yeah.

Clerics are good. Cloistered Clerics, even more so. :smallbiggrin:

It's a dip. Proficiencies aren't a big deal then.

Greenish
2010-07-24, 02:20 PM
You can select two domains that can be traded for the same devotion, and trade away the one you don't like. Meditation, mind, mentalism, oracle and truth all seem like they might yield the Knowledge devotion.

Alternatively, take Able Learner, and swap the Knowledge domain to the devotion later. After all, once a class skill, always a class skill (for the skill cap anyway).

Curmudgeon
2010-07-24, 03:13 PM
You can select two domains that can be traded for the same devotion, and trade away the one you don't like. Meditation, mind, mentalism, oracle and truth all seem like they might yield the Knowledge devotion.
The official list has Inquisition and Mind swappable for Knowledge Devotion. Oracle swaps for Luck Devotion.

Alternatively, take Able Learner, and swap the Knowledge domain to the devotion later. After all, once a class skill, always a class skill (for the skill cap anyway). That's not actually the way the rule works.
Each skill point you spend on a class skill gets you 1 rank in that skill. Class skills are the skills found on your character’s class skill list. ... Cross-class skills are skills not found on your character’s class skill list.
Benefit: All skill ranks cost 1 skill point for you to purchase, even if the skill is cross-class for you. The maximum number of ranks you can purchase in a cross-class skill remains the same. Once you no longer have the Knowledge domain, most Knowledge skills disappear from your Cloistered Cleric class skill list, and they become cross-class skills. Your existing ranks don't change, but the cap is going to become lower.

However, you'll be well served by the Education feat, which simply makes all Knowledge skills class skills for your character.

Glimbur
2010-07-24, 11:27 PM
How do we feel about trading away a domain, then re-acquiring it later via a PrC that gives you domains, like Contemplative or Seeker of the Misty Isle?

That won't really help the original poster though, who I would advise to just take Knowledge Devotion as a feat.

dextercorvia
2010-07-24, 11:45 PM
I've seen a lot of "you can't choose the same domain twice" and just wanted to point out that you don't choose the Knowledge Domain when you pick Cloistered Cleric.

In addition to any domains selected from his deity's list, a cloistered cleric automatically gains the Knowledge domain as a bonus domain (even if the Knowledge domain is not normally available to clerics of that deity).

That said, if you chose the Knowledge Domain, and then received it as a Bonus, I'm fairly certain you wouldn't have two copies. The advice given earlier is the best route. Take the Mind domain and trade it for the devotion feat, and then Use the Knowledge Domain for the class skills. Able Learner is still helpful if you aren't playing a primary class with a lot of Knowledge skills.

Edit:
How do we feel about trading away a domain, then re-acquiring it later via a PrC that gives you domains, like Contemplative or Seeker of the Misty Isle?

That won't really help the original poster though, who I would advise to just take Knowledge Devotion as a feat.
By my above statement about Bonus domains, I would say that it is fine. Also, I can't find where the PHB says that you can't choose the same domain twice.

bartman
2010-07-25, 08:46 AM
I completely forgot about the expanded domains...

Perfect, and it gets me away from having to explain to my DM about why i have two of the "same domains"

Thanks everyone, I think you solved my problem.

Greenish
2010-07-25, 09:57 AM
The official list has Inquisition and Mind swappable for Knowledge Devotion. Oracle swaps for Luck Devotion.Ah, I was just too lazy to check the official list (and figured that Inquisition would yield Law Devotion).
That's not actually the way the rule works. Once you no longer have the Knowledge domain, most Knowledge skills disappear from your Cloistered Cleric class skill list, and they become cross-class skills. Your existing ranks don't change, but the cap is going to become lower.Right you are.