PDA

View Full Version : Races of War Mass-Combat help

Desril
2010-07-24, 02:23 PM
I tried searching through the forums, but "of" and "war" are too small, and "races" yields a lot of useless results.

http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Races_of_War_%283.5e_Sourcebook%29/The_Mass_Combat_Minigame

I'm trying to run a war in my campaign, but I can't find any information on how to determine a Commander Rating, is there something I'm missing or is this just unfinished?

If it is unfinished, I could use some help getting it ready if anyone is willing, like determining bonuses for various actions (like a Pincer attack).

Oslecamo
2010-07-24, 02:42 PM
It's unfinished.

If you want to do mass combat in D&D can I sugest the mob and unit rules in my sig?

Direct link. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129179)

GreyMantle
2010-07-24, 04:47 PM
You get it with things like the Command feat from RoW.

[copypasta'd for easy reference]

Command [Combat] [Leadership]
You lead tiny men.
+0: You have a Command Rating equal to your Base Attack Bonus divided by five (round up).
+1: You can muster a group of followers. Your leadership score is your Base Attack Bonus plus your Charisma Modifier.
+6: You are able to delegate command to a loyal cohort. A cohort is an intelligent and loyal creature with a CR at least 2 less than your character level. Cohorts gain levels when you do.
+11: With a Swift Action you may rally troops, allowing all allies within medium range of yourself to reroll their saves vs. Fear and gain a +2 Morale Bonus to attack and damage rolls for 1 minute. This is a language-dependent ability that may be used an unlimited number of times.
+16: Your allies gain a +2 morale bonus to all saving throws if they can see you and you are within medium range.

I also let PCs of at least 5th level command units even if they wouldn't normally have a Command Rating (just giving them the minimum of 1, usually) because it allows characters that are still awesome and badass but not necessarily martially trained to take part in battles. (Another option might be just to create commanders specifically for the purpose of commanding units in battle, or to write up feats that give a Command Rating but are more spellcaster or rogue or whatever-friendly.)

Also, concerning your second query:

Tactics
Certain tactics are not formal actions for a combat unit, and others are. Pincer maneuvers, battlefield deception or skillful maneuvering, taking advantage of higher ground or forests, etc., are normal consequences of
well or badly played battles.

I wouldn't go so far to call the Mass Combat Minigame "unfinished." Rather, I'd say it's more of a "loosely designed" mini-system.

Ranos
2010-07-24, 04:54 PM
It's unfinished.

If you want to do mass combat in D&D can I sugest the mob and unit rules in my sig?

Direct link. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129179)

At a glance, this mob hits very hard, but is very easily obliterated. I mean, in one attack, normally killing one guy, you could annihilate everyone in the mob somehow. Did I miss something ?

Oslecamo
2010-07-24, 05:20 PM
At a glance, this mob hits very hard, but is very easily obliterated. I mean, in one attack, normally killing one guy, you could annihilate everyone in the mob somehow. Did I miss something ?

0-Rule of cool (taking down lots of small dudes with one attack is common in fantasy).
1-A mob has plenty of HP so unless you're a really optimized melee character you'll have trouble actualy taking it down in one hit.
2-Someone with greater cleave could take down a lot of guys in "one hit" anyway.
3-The mob doesn't get killed by a single fireball by pooling their life togheter.