PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Deth Muncher's Homebrew

Deth Muncher
2010-07-24, 03:43 PM
Pardon the dust, I'm trying to finish putting things back in order here and actually finish the homebrewing I started. Please, have a look around. Links will be provided.

Feats:
Rage Smack: See lower on this post. Also, it was meant as a joke.

Prestige Classes:
The Gunmage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9498364&postcount=6) [WIP]

Base Classes:
Copymaster [WIP] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12155938#post12155938)

Items:
The Blue Mage's Gauntlet (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17041432)

RAGE SMACK
Feat
Effect: When in melee with an opponent, after missing three times, each successive miss adds +4 to damage when you finally hit them. Has nothing to do with any Barbarian abilities. On a critical, the damage multiplier goes up one level.
Special: Foes must be same size as you or larger. You cannot benefit from this feat while under the effect of a spell that decreases your chance to hit (Curse, for example). It DOES apply if the opponent is under an effect that gives them a miss chance, other than Total Concealment (Blur, for example). On a critical, the extra damage is deleted, and instead the critical multiplier goes up by one (i.e. a X2 becomes an X3), unless of course you hit something that is not affected by criticals, in which case the bonus damage applies as normal.

Meta-analysis: This feat is the embodiment of the rage that one feels when they keep missing something that they, by all means, should be able to hit and just can't. You know the feeling.

DracoDei
2010-07-24, 05:50 PM
Make it +4 per miss after those first 3 and you might be talking. Then again, the reason for this feat isn't to be mechanically effective in the first place.

Might do better (at least in your original version) as a house rule that only applies to PCs? It would come with the elite stat generation method and the maxed hit points for the first hit-die.

Deth Muncher
2010-07-24, 06:13 PM
Wait...that seems to contradict itself. Isn't the elite stat thingy NPCs only?

Lev
2010-07-24, 06:18 PM
What about 3/day whenever you miss you can add a +2 to your miss pool during a rage, when in the same rage you can expend up to a +4 but must declare it before you roll the attack. ?

Deth Muncher
2010-07-24, 11:08 PM
Make it +4 per miss after those first 3 and you might be talking. Then again, the reason for this feat isn't to be mechanically effective in the first place.

No, you're right, it's not REALLY supposed to be mechanically effective all that much. I mean, I put as many limiters in it so it could be abused as I could imagine, so maybe bumping it to +4 damage for each miss after 3 wouldn't be so bad.

What about 3/day whenever you miss you can add a +2 to your miss pool during a rage, when in the same rage you can expend up to a +4 but must declare it before you roll the attack. ?
This sounds overly complicated and makes my brain hurt. Also, I hate X per diem abilities. (And yet I play spellcasters...)

Deth Muncher
2010-10-06, 10:14 PM
Gunmage
Pre-reqs:Concentration 5 ranks, Craft: Firearms 5 ranks, Spellcraft 9 ranks, BAB +5, Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Firearms
Special: Must spontaneously cast Arcane spells, must craft weapon(s) to be used.

{table]Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1st +1 +0 +2 +1 Arcane Channeling, Arcane Attunement
2nd +2 +0 +3 +1 Quick Draw, Arcane Ammunition
3rd +3 +1 +3 +2 Bullet Spam
4th +4 +1 +4 +2 Arcane Headshot
5th +5 +1 +4 +3 Bullet Spam x2 [/table]
(I suck at making tables, but it's also supposed to say that at each level, you get another level of your previous spellcasting class.)
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d4

Class Skills:
As Sorceror
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier

Arcane Attunement: A Gunmage must build his own unique firearm he intends to use with this class. He must use whatever craft rules are decided on by the DM, and in addition must spend an additional 1000GP for special metals/oils/etc to be used for the creation and enchantment of his firearms. A Gunmage may select any firearm to become his "Signature Firearm" - depending on the size of the Gunmage, he may choose anything from a pistol to a bombard, though the latter may be hilariously impractical for a halfling for example. In addition to the 1000GP, the Gunmage must cast Arcane Mark into the gun as the final part of the creation - doing so links the gun to the caster, and renders the gun unusable by anyone who is not the Gunmage. A Gunmage may be treated as having the Somatic Weaponry feat for the purposes of casting spells while holding his Signature Firearm.

Arcane Channelling: A Gunmage may treat his Signature Firearm as a focus for any spells he casts which require an attack roll. Doing so grants a +2 to the attack, but causes the spell to cost a Standard and a Move Action. This may be Quickened.

Arcane Ammunition: A Gunmage may cast a damaging spell into his Signature Firearm to supply ammunition instead of using regular bullets and powder. As such may make attacks at XdY, where X is the spell slot expended, and Y is the normal damage dice for the gun - for example, if a pistol normally did d8 damage and Scorching Hands was used to power it, it would do 2d8 damage. Doing this is a Standard and a Move Action.
At 5th level, the Gunmage, this changes to 2XdY - that is to say, Scorching Hands would now yield 4d8 damage.
In addition, depending on the element of the spell used as ammunition, the shot does different things:
-Fire and Ice yield a burst equal to 10' + 5'/CL.
-Lightning and Acid yield a line equal to 30' + 5'/CL, and affects everything in the line.
-Force allows a Bullrush attempt at 10+CL, but reduces damage die by one category.
When using Arcane Ammunition, or any other ability which causes the sacrifice of a spell slot in order to function, the gun does not expend normal ammunition as well, just the spell.
Quick Draw: The Gunmage recieves the feat Quick Draw if he did not already have it. If he already had Quick Draw, choose another feat that he qualifies for.

Bullet Spam: Through greater understanding of how magic and munitions coincide, a Gunmage may make a special Full Attack with his Signature Firearm. He may sacrifice a spell slot in order to make a number of attacks equal to the number of the spell slot sacrificed - i.e. a 3rd level slot yields 3 attacks. Each subsequent attack is made at a -2, and need not be made at the same target. Each attack deals d6 damage, regardless of the normal damage of the Signature Firearm. The Signature Firearm may not be used for 1d4 rounds after Bullet Spam.
At Level 5, the negatives to hit cease to apply (unless otherwise incurred, like from TWF), and cooldown for Bullet Spam becomes 1d3-1.

Arcane Headshot: At 4th level, the Gunmage learns how to augment his aim with his spells and cause fatal headshots. If the Gunmage spends a full round action, he can expend a spell and roll a Ranged Touch Attack. If successful, the target must make a Fortitude save equal to the regular save DC of that spell. If the target fails, they are slain instantly. If the target has a helmet, they get a +2 to their save. If the target does not have a head, or if removing the head would not normally slay them, they are immune to the death effect and instead suffer damage equal to a normal Critical Hit. If the creature is immune to criticals, they are immune to the effect, with two exceptions - zombies are slain instantly on a successful attack, no save; and if the spell cast is Slay Living, it would work regardless of the presence of a head. Once the Gunmage has made his shot, he must aim again before he may use the Arcane Headshot.

Meta-Analysis: This came from a steampunkish campaign I was in, and the DM was kind enough to let me write up a PrC for my guy. Unfortunately, we never made it that far, so this class remains untested.

Lev
2010-10-06, 11:14 PM
http://pifro.com/dnd/NEW/

Deth Muncher
2010-10-06, 11:15 PM
http://pifro.com/dnd/NEW/

Oooooh...

So question: What should the saves for this class be? I honestly have no idea.

Lev
2010-10-07, 06:45 AM
Gun suggest Ref and Mage suggest Will

Blueberrypop
2010-10-07, 07:18 AM
Gun suggest Ref and Mage suggest Will

I concur. I would probably add Int as a secondary.

Deth Muncher
2011-01-05, 05:59 PM
I'll get around to finishing that Gun Mage sometime, but since the campaign it was being created for died, I haven't thought about it in a while. What I HAVE been thinking about is items for the BBEG in my current campaign. This next item is to be the artifact he's been trying to make the whole campaign, and once he achieves its completion, it will make everyone's life suck forever. It is intended to be an Epic item, to be used by a newly lichified 20th level Sorceror, and will be part of the culmination of the campaign.

The Robe of Supreme Arcana

The Robe of Supreme Arcana is the culmination of centuries of research. Appearing as a black, slightly sparkly cape, the robe, naturally, can only be used by those capable of casting spontaneous arcane spells - specifically, only by those powerful enough to cast 9th level spells. If donned by a non-arcane magic user, it acts as an Antimagic Field, which covers the wearer but does not extend past the wearer's equipment, preventing them from casting spells or using magic items. If donned by a non-caster, it immediately grants five Negative Levels, which cannot be healed in any way while the robe is worn, but it can be taken off as normal, and the Negative Levels will go away, as well as the aforementioned Antimagic effect. It emits Powerful auras of all magic schools.

It was created by great sacrifice, both of the destruction of Minor Artifacts and souls. It required the combined powers of no less than 50 Red Wizards and 50 Artificers, in a castle specifically built over a nexus of the Multiverse's magical ley-lines, in addition to the direction of The Gentleman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174563). Its creation, though guarded until its unveiling, involved the procurement of Knowstones keyed to all of the different spells throughout the Material Planes of Greyhawk, Eberron and the Forgotten Realms. It is a big deal. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Understatement)

The true purpose of this Major Artifact is to grant the wearer complete mastery over spells. As such, it grants the user knowledge of every Sorceror spell (this means, mechanically, every spell in 3.5 that is normally castable by Sorcerors is granted by this robe). This does not include custom spells, but the creation and sacrifice of a Knowstone containing said custom spell, and the expenditure of 1000xp per Spell Level of the custom spell allows it to be permanently added to the repertoire of spells granted by the item. In addition, to enchant the robe with said custom spell, it must be done by no fewer than 10 x the Spell Level number of Artificers and Red Wizards in unison, split in any manner they choose (Example: An 8th level spell is created - this needs 80 people present to enchant, but can be split in any number between Red Wizards and Artificers, though at least one of each must be present).
In addition, the wearer gains the ability to recover spent spells, as per the variant rule detailed here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/rechargeMagic.htm).

This Artifact does have a drawback, however. If the wearer casts a spell which was not already on their list of Spells Known, roll a d20. On the roll of a 15-20, no ill effects are suffered. On a 10-14, 1 point is drained from an ability score, determined by a d6 roll, with each number attributing to a different Stat in the order they're presented on the character sheet. If a caster no longer has that ability score (due to being undead, etc), roll again until a score they have is rolled. On a 4-9, 1 point is deducted from two stats, determined as above (the same stat may be affected twice). On a 2 or 3, 1 point is deducted from all ability scores. On a 1, 1 x the Spell Level being cast is deducted from an ability score, determined as if the 10-14 result. This damage may be healed as normal, but given that the Robe does not grant Divine spells, this may be difficult.

As a final benefit, the wearer gains the ability to Quicken his spells if he did not already have it, and Metamagic does not extend the casting time on any of his spells.

DracoDei
2011-01-05, 06:50 PM
This does not include custom spells, but the creation and sacrifice of a Knowstone containing said custom spell, and the expenditure of 1000xp per Spell Level of the custom spell.
This sentence probably need the following word tacked on to the end to make it make sense: "allows it to be permanently added to the repertoire of spells granted by the item".

Also, you should say that they can still prepare the spell more than once if they are a prepared caster, and that the recharge mechanic is by SLOT, not by SPELL in such cases.

Deth Muncher
2011-01-05, 11:03 PM
1.This sentence probably need the following word tacked on to the end to make it make sense: "allows it to be permanently added to the repertoire of spells granted by the item".

2. Also, you should say that they can still prepare the spell more than once if they are a prepared caster, and that the recharge mechanic is by SLOT, not by SPELL in such cases.

1. Yeah, you're right, that should be clearer.

2. I wasn't actually planning on letting prepared casters use this. I made it specifically fine-tuned for the character wearing it - but now that you point it out, this IS a bit of a jerk move, so I suppose I'll just make it arcane casters and fix where needed.

Deth Muncher
2011-03-22, 01:57 AM
New idea, as brought on by excessive use of Nerf Guns.

THE RAPID 20 SUPER-REPEATER CROSSBOW

Sometimes, you just need something to make someone else dead. Sometimes, you need something big to make something dead. And sometimes, you need something big to make a lot of somethings dead. In the most secret of a gnomish artificer's laboratories, a monstrous man-portable...well, person-portable weapon has been created. Gods help us all.

Rapid 20 - Exotic Two-Handed Ranged Weapon
Cost - 2500GP?
Damage - (S) 1d2 (M) 1d4 (multishot)/ (S) 1d4 (M) 1d6 (single shot)
Critical - x2
Range - 80ft (single)/ 40ftx10ft Spread (multi)

The Rapid 20 is a special kind of repeating crossbow - utilizing magical strengthening of springs and wood, this strange weapon hand hurl preposterous amounts of ammunition at ludicrous speed. This odd, barrel-shaped weapon has a hand crank on the side of it as well as the standard catch as is normally on crossbows, while the opening in the front has twenty slots in which specially made darts can be loaded - it does not use true bolts as the ammunition.

The Rapid 20 can be fired as a normal crossbow, using the standard crossbow rules. However, it also has a special fire mode - Multishot requires two rounds of cranking the handcrank on the side in order to work. When fired, it fires up to as many shots (but at least 2) as it has in it in a 10ft x 40ft spread, causing a DC 10 + # of darts fired Reflex save (save for half). The damage is split by dividing the number of shots by the number of targets - so if there are two targets and the Rapid 20 is full, each target takes 10 dice of damage, with the reflex save for half. (Yes, this can target one person: The spread is from assuming that there are adjacent targets, a person could spray and pray.) This spread can also be arranged in either 10ft long x 40ft wide, or 40ft long x 10ft wide. This spread has the special property that targets block line of effect to people behind them - that is to say, in the following diagram, if D has the Rapid 20 and shoots the Multishot, the cone stops at B and C, and does not go to A:

___B
A__C____D

Likewise, in the following example, if C is shooting, they could hit both A and B, since there is no intervening person:

___B
A______C

Also, in this case, E could shoot all of these targets, assuming they were no more than 10ft away:

A
B
C ____E
D

Reloading after a Mutlishot can be a hassle - it takes two full rounds to completely reload it (provokes AoO), or five shots per round as a move action (provokes AoO).

This can probably be worded better, but this is just a start.

Deth Muncher
2011-06-17, 07:07 PM
This and the next few posts will be about the homebrew for this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203274) oneshot.

MARIO

ITEMS

Mushrooms:
Due to the strange nature of the Mushroom Kingdom, odd mushrooms have been known to grow there. PCs with ranks in Knowledge: Nature may well find some of these for their own use - they are known to grow near bushes, or due to their abundant nature, may be found in crates that people have gathered.

Two varieties of mushroom are known to exhibit effects in the consumer - one, the Power Mushroom, gives the consumer the effects of the Enlarge Person spell for two minutes. The other, commonly known as the Poison Mushroom, gives the effect of Reduce Person for two minutes. A third type has been hinted at, but has not been found as of yet. Given their strange magical natures, however, they may not interact with other spells - you cannot counter or dispell either effect. Consuming either mushroom is equivalent to consuming a potion in regards to action use and attacks of opportunity.
DC 5 K:Nature - This mushroom is magical in nature.
DC 10 K:Nature - Know the effects of the two mushrooms.
DC 10 Spot - Tell the difference between mushrooms (both are primarily red, but Power mushrooms have white spots and stems, whereas Poison have darker, beige-y yellow spots and stems).

The Starman:
The Starman is a rare find indeed - the Mushroom Kingdom has long regarded Stars as mystical entities, having had them be connected to the well-being of the entire kingdom for generations. The Starman is not a true Star, like are commonly rescued by a certain Italian plumber - these are items of pure energy.
The Starman is a difficult to locate item indeed - they are often hidden amongst trash, rubble, or even buried in the ground. They appear to be a small, yellow, five pointed star. It is thought that they might posses some level of sentience, though that is widely dismissed as hogwash. When someone comes into contact with a Starman, they are instantly filled with a surge of power, immediately coming under the effect of Haste as well as Stoneskin for 5 rounds, during which time the consumer glows with light that shifts colors at random, and has a catchy upbeat tune stuck in their head for the duration. A Starman may be saved for later use by scooping it into a jar, much like a fairy, but requires a DC 10 attack roll (for this purpose, a jar does not count as an improvised weapon). Failure results in the Starman being consumed.
DC 10 K:Arcana - Recognize it for what it is.
DC 15 K:Arcana - Know what it does and how to transport it.

Fire Flower:
As you look down, you see a strange, glowing flower. The head of the flower appears to be ovaloid, and emits a slight amount of heat. If eaten, it has a strong cinnamonny flavor.
The Fire Flower, also a common (but not too common) sight in the Mushroom Kingdom, grants the ability to use Produce Flame at CL 5 until the consumer takes damage, at which point the ability is lost.
DC 5 K:Nature - This flower is MAGIC.
DC 10 K:Nature - Know what it does and how to use it.

MONSTERS
Goomba (thanks to Jjeinn-Tae for the base Goomba, which I've expanded on)
This strange creature looks like an angry brown mushroom with teeth. It shuffles around on two small feet.
Small Magical Plant
1d4 HD
20ft move

14 Str 16 Dex 10 Con 8 Int 6 Wis 4 Cha

15 AC (11 Flat-Footed, 15 Touch)
Saves: 0 Fort, +5 Ref, -2 Will

Attack: Goombullrush (1d4+2 per 5 feet opponent has moved), Jumping Headbutt (10ft reach, can be used in coordination with a charge, 1d4 bludgeoning with explosive dice. Puts them next to their opponent at the end.)

Special: Goombas may not make Attacks of Opportunity. Goombas take double damage from Bludgeoning attacks and Unarmed Strikes. Some Goombas are Winged (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Winged_(3.5e_Template)), and receive all benefits thereof.

Advancement: Goombas never naturally grow in size, but in order to present balance for the game, may have as many HD as the PCs. Their challenge rating is always negligible.

Treasure: 1 gold coin.

Bob-omb
Small Construct
1d10HD +10
20ft move
Small size.
14 Str 16 Dex 10 Con 0 Int 6 Wis 4 Cha
15 AC (11 Flat-Footed, 15 Touch)
Saves: 0 Fort, +5 Ref, -2 Will
Attack: 1d4+2 Slam (+2), Kaboom! (2d6, see special)
Special: Construct traits, Kaboom! - When reduced to 0 HP, or as a Swift action, a Bob-omb can enter self-destruct mode (it is a bomb, after all). It explodes in 1d4-1 rounds after initiating - if the result is then 0, it automatically explodes. Regardless of when it explodes, it is destroyed in the process, and explodes in a 5ft radius (i.e. all adjacent squares), and has a DC 12 Reflex save for half damage. In the event that it has a positive number of rounds before it explodes, it starts to glow. It can be picked up and thrown at a range of 10ft, using the rules for Alchemist's Fire aiming. It will then explode on contact, but if held when it would explode, it explodes on the person who was holding it, and they take full damage with no save. This ability may be used on an attack of opportunity, though they will only explode on the AoO if they roll a 1 on the d4.
Treasure: None.

Deth Muncher
2011-08-11, 07:05 PM
Hey! I'm updating this bit by bit - the campaign for which the Mario stuff was unfortunately not meant to be, though I'll probably still end up statting up enemies for it for your use.

And with that, I'd like to mention: if you seem to want to have the ability to do something in D&D 3.5, but just don't know how and would like something written up for you, I'd be more than willing to do it! I have a fairly decent mastery of the rules - not photographic, like some people here, but very good none the less, and as such know how things work and how to make them work together from vague concepts. So let me know. :D Otherwise, please feel free to critique things.