PDA

View Full Version : Conan 2011?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-07-24, 03:43 PM
It looked depressingly lame, I really like Conan so this makes me sad. :smallfrown:

FoE
2010-07-24, 04:39 PM
Perhaps, to facilitate discussion, you might link us to a trailer? Or … whatever made you think it would be depressingly lame?

Conan fan, myself.

kamikasei
2010-07-24, 04:49 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic, but I've only got still images to go off of. Seconding FoE on the request for more info. (edit: Not least because this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6VDpTIvuk0) is the top result I got when looking for a trailer...)

It'd be nice to see an adaptation more faithful to the stories than the first movie.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-24, 05:01 PM
It looked depressingly lame, I really like Conan so this makes me sad. :smallfrown:

Well if Spider-Man has taught me anything is that a bad film leads to a reboot with one of those actors from Twilight...:smalleek: I'll stop posting now.

FoE
2010-07-24, 05:03 PM
The only thing I could find was this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5h6hC_jzQs) about a single movie still.

Wow, uh ... Jason Momoa looks kind of ... really manly there. O_O

Giggling Ghast
2010-07-24, 05:06 PM
The only thing I could find was this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5h6hC_jzQs) about a single movie still.

Wow, uh ... Jason Mamoa looks kind of ... really manly there. O_O

I'M HOMOSEXUAL NOW! (http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/10p37)

Never mind, go back to what you were doing.

The Glyphstone
2010-07-24, 09:14 PM
What he looks like is one thing, but will he haav ah bettah aks-sent?
Babelfish doesn't have English-to-Governator as an option, so I had to estimate.

Neko Toast
2010-07-24, 09:26 PM
I'M HOMOSEXUAL NOW! (http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/10p37)

Never mind, go back to what you were doing.

Oh my God, it's Candle Jack! NO ONE IS SAFE.

Anyway, I'm sure that this movie will be nothing compared to the lesser known Conan sequel known as Conan the Libr

Aroka
2010-07-24, 10:23 PM
Jason Momoa looks good for the part and they put scars on him. That's good.

Everything else is bad. It's not Howard's Conan, no matter what they're claiming - they're just re-imagining (that means "stealing from") the terrible movies (including Red Sonja, gag) and pissing all over the source material (because every Hollywood hack knows they can write better sword & sorcery adventures than some Texas chump, right?). No way am I going to see it, and I say this as someone who's read every last R.E. Howard Conan story.

Giggling Ghast
2010-07-24, 11:00 PM
Everything else is bad. It's not Howard's Conan, no matter what they're claiming - they're just re-imagining (that means "stealing from") the terrible movies (including Red Sonja, gag) and pissing all over the source material (because every Hollywood hack knows they can write better sword & sorcery adventures than some Texas chump, right?). No way am I going to see it, and I say this as someone who's read every last R.E. Howard Conan story.

WHAT "EVERYTHING ELSE"? I've yet to see someone come up with a trailer or a plot synopsis that wasn't cribbed off of Wikipedia or ... or ANYTHING that would actually describe the movie, despite what was requested of the OP.

If you're privy to some secret trailer or some other actual information beyond conjecture, PLEASE SHARE IT.

LurkerInPlayground
2010-07-25, 02:36 PM
Jason Mamoa is no Conan. But then again, nobody is.

The description of Conan borders on Sue-dom. Blue eyes. Savage. Sullen. But capable of mighty cheer and mirth. Cunning yet untutored. Blah-de-blah-de-blah.

Even Arnold Schwarzenegger doesn't really fit.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Conan, I just think it's virtually impossible to find a man who actually lives up to Howard's description. We're all just weak and decadent city dwellers after all.

Ravens_cry
2010-07-25, 03:21 PM
For a character with so much pervasion in other mediums, relatively little film wise has been done with Conan,
I think it's a suitable time for another movie, there is plenty of material to be told.

LurkerInPlayground
2010-07-26, 02:24 PM
For a character with so much pervasion in other mediums, relatively little film wise has been done with Conan,
I think it's a suitable time for another movie, there is plenty of material to be told.
Meh. I don't think people are interested in a fantasy tale that doesn't exalt humanity's centrality in the cosmos.

Whereas Conan tended be more about how humans are stuck in the Bronze Age equivalent of the Wild West and assaulted by predatory forces, including the other "civilized" men. To make matters worse, there are things that were powerful and had glorious civilizations when mankind were little more than primitive apes; just to emphasize the transience of all those accomplishments that you now have.

Low fantasy tends to be more obsessed with mortality and savagery. Whereas high fantasy is about nobler impulses and how mankind, and its heroes, are luminous and unique snowflakes capable of defeating all evils.

Now tell me which one Hollywood is more likely to pick. Go on. Guess.

Avilan the Grey
2010-07-27, 12:49 AM
Even Arnold Schwarzenegger doesn't really fit.

That is because he looked nothing like the description of Conan. He DID look somewhat like the over-exaggerated book covers though. Basically the Governator had way too much pumped muscle to really look like Conan.

Zen Monkey
2010-07-27, 08:11 AM
Personally, I would have liked to see them bring back Arnold to do the story of Conan that was promised at the end of the first movie. He looked pretty good for that brief glimpse of him on the throne. They could do the last battle of Conan the king, aged and defending his people from some threat.

Instead, well, I'm cautious to say the least. Maybe I'll catch it as a matinee for a discount.

shiram
2010-07-27, 10:17 AM
Arnold is too old now to play any kind of Conan if you ask me, unless they spend a good chunk of money on "de-ageing" him, but at that point, just pass the torch to someone else.
I have very little knowledge of this movie as of now, I can't say much based off one picture.

Dragosai
2010-07-27, 11:14 AM
This is the first I am hearing of this, so thanks josha. I really, really, really hope this is good as I am a big fan of the first movie, I never got into the books/comic books. But yeah the first movie rocks in so many ways, I just pray that this "new" one is rated R and they do it right, even though I know deep down it will be a PG-13 wuss fest with no real bite. If they give us a watered down politally correct Conan I will loose all faith in humanity.

LurkerInPlayground
2010-07-27, 03:44 PM
That is because he looked nothing like the description of Conan. He DID look somewhat like the over-exaggerated book covers though. Basically the Governator had way too much pumped muscle to really look like Conan.
No, if anything, being ridiculously buff is the one thing Arnold had going for him.

But he doesn't have that carefully idealized sculpted appearance of a savage beast that you always see in fantasy art. This wasn't just some oaf.

And while Conan might not be very articulate, he definitely was expressive and wasn't at all dull-witted. And this is probably the hardest part of the role.

kamikasei
2010-07-27, 03:58 PM
If they give us a watered down politally correct Conan I will loose all faith in humanity.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. I certainly hope they "water down" some of the casual racism from the original stories, for example.

Momoa seems to look the part better than Schwartzenegger did. Hard to say much beyond that at this stage.

So, no response from the OP about what he was basing his opinion on?

FoE
2010-07-27, 04:15 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by that.

The female characters could spend the movie entirely clothed?

So, no response from the OP about what he was basing his opinion on?

Apparently so. There is some info on Wikipedia about the plot, which does suggest some changes in the mythos — Conan's dad gets killed, like in Conan the Barbarian — and that may be good or bad, depending on your viewpoint. But aside from that, we have little else info to go on.

Avilan the Grey
2010-07-27, 05:58 PM
No, if anything, being ridiculously buff is the one thing Arnold had going for him.

But he doesn't have that carefully idealized sculpted appearance of a savage beast that you always see in fantasy art. This wasn't just some oaf.

And while Conan might not be very articulate, he definitely was expressive and wasn't at all dull-witted. And this is probably the hardest part of the role.

That's my point; Howard's descriptions of Conan did NOT paint him as Bodybuilder.

kamikasei
2010-07-28, 02:23 PM
Apparently so. There is some info on Wikipedia about the plot, which does suggest some changes in the mythos —*Conan's dad gets killed, like in Conan the Barbarian —*and that may be good or bad, depending on your viewpoint. But aside from that, we have little else info to go on.
Gah. Well, a dead father can be okay so long as it doesn't go so far as Arnie!Conan's backstory.

I'm still miffed that his account of "what is best in life" turned out to be something that, it seems, he had read in a book.