PDA

View Full Version : Is this a possible mount for a paladin.

WalkingWall
2010-07-24, 03:49 PM
I was jw but is it possible to pick diffrent mount then the ones given in pathfinder as the usual mounts (mainly for paladin and druid) i have a paladin that is a dwarf and his back story is manly about his time travinling long narrow dark tunnels made by the dwarfs and ocupied by the goblines. Now to me saying his mount is a pony seems abit of a story line braker ponny in a 6 foot tunnel with a rider on it for days on end. I was woudering if it would be possible to use the Consticter Snake as a mount if i pick it as my animal campanion or mount from paladin (or if i could even pick this as a paladin mount) my logic is a snake could esaly slither trough long narrow passages even if it is a large snake (there long not wide) and would porbly have a rather eseay time leaving underground (other then the cold blooded thing) but i do know they only mention other exotic animal mounts as boar, dog, or shark. I was not sure however if this meant you could only chose thouse as your exotic mounts or if you could pic others. Also by level 4 they are considerd large so they should be able to suport my fat dwarf but at that point right.

WalkingWall
2010-07-24, 05:46 PM
Shameless bump

Urpriest
2010-07-24, 05:49 PM
Pathfinder DMs will occasionally draw from D&D 3.5. If yours does, I believe there are rules for Monitor Lizard mounts in Faerun, and various cave-capable mounts in Dungeonscape. I don't know much about Pathfinder though.

TooManyBadgers
2010-07-24, 06:24 PM
Honest question: Have you ever seen a boa constrictor?
Follow-up question: Have you read the details on dwarf size and weight?

It wouldn't really be unreasonable to allow a constrictor to fill the "special mount" slot, but the idea of actually riding it wouldn't fly in any non-silly game unless you're talking about a Small [capitalized game-term small] or smaller rider.

By RAW, you could probably ride one, but by RAW, I don't think snakes are listed anywhere as an option for a paladin to ride.

tribble
2010-07-24, 08:24 PM
Use paragraphs, man. I see a block of text like that and my eyes just glaze over.

...And I like reading.

hamishspence
2010-07-25, 02:02 PM
Honest question: Have you ever seen a boa constrictor?
Follow-up question: Have you read the details on dwarf size and weight?

It wouldn't really be unreasonable to allow a constrictor to fill the "special mount" slot, but the idea of actually riding it wouldn't fly in any non-silly game unless you're talking about a Small [capitalized game-term small] or smaller rider.

True- it would have to be a D&D version of Titanoboa to be plausibly ridable by the Medium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanoboa

AslanCross
2010-07-25, 07:10 PM
Using the 3.5 rules (which Pathfinder is based on, don't know if there are changes):

1. The mount must be willing AND able to carry the rider.
2. The mount's CR must be no more than 3 less than the rider (ie, a Lv 10 paladin can't get a CR 8 creature as a mount).
3. At least one size category larger than the rider.

This is in the 3.5 DMG, p. 204.

By RAW, the Huge Constrictor should be able to support your dwarf.

However, realistically speaking, I know very large constrictor snakes usually live in trees and in swamps, not deep underground in dark tunnels. They often need to bask in sunlight to raise their body temperature.

And yes, please use paragraphs.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-25, 07:25 PM
I'd have to be one BIG snake to carry a dwarf.

WalkingWall
2010-07-25, 10:07 PM
Ok thx for the info guys i was jw if it would be possible.:smallsmile:

dgnslyr
2010-07-25, 11:02 PM
Get a velociraptor beak dog megaraptor as a mount. Win for style.

And please, spell check and frequent paragraphs makes reading a wall of text MUCH easier on the eyes.

ericgrau
2010-07-25, 11:16 PM
Eh who cares if it is. If it's part of your story then ask your DM to okay it. Give it similar stats or CR to a paladin mount and try to balance out its special abilities by having less of something else.

Kobold-Bard
2010-07-26, 05:48 AM
Take the Planar Paladin ACF and get a Celestial Rhinoceros.

Just because.

Badgerish
2010-07-26, 06:04 AM
Take the Planar Paladin ACF and get a Celestial Rhinoceros.

Just because.Then give it "horseshoes of spiderclimbing".

Just Because.

Person_Man
2010-07-26, 09:41 AM
Please use standard English. It's difficult to read abbreviations, inconsistent capitalization, and poor grammar. It's probably why you had to bump your own post, which is also considered somewhat bad manners on this forum.

To answer your question, there is a prestige class in the Sandstorm supplement called Ashworm Dragoon. You gain a Large sand worm thing that can burrow and a bunch of mounted combat related class abilities. You may wish to look into it.

AtwasAwamps
2010-07-26, 09:44 AM
...I read the title as "Is it possible to mount this paladin?"

I have been disappointed by this thread's contents.

Calmar
2010-07-26, 10:04 AM
Of course I can't tell you what to like or to find cool, but I think snakes of any kind don't fit dwarves, besides being rather ill-suited as mounts in general.
In my humble opinion the one and only true mount for a dwarf is the mighty dire boar! :smallbiggrin:

http://www.legendgames.co.uk/acatalog/BloodWars12.jpg

http://pogromisland.com/html/Cadra/images/BoarRider.gif

Boars may not be exactly subterranean creatures, but they're as earthy as dwarves and both creatures roam forests and mountains. Besides, dwarves probably don't ride inside their strongholds any more than humans do inside their castles. :smallsmile:

AtwasAwamps
2010-07-26, 10:10 AM
ALSO

Boars are walking bacon!

Calmar
2010-07-26, 10:43 AM
ALSO

Boars are walking bacon!

Yeah, but rare is the mount that can't be eaten...

AtwasAwamps
2010-07-26, 01:05 PM
Yeah, but rare is the mount that can't be eaten...

Yes, but compare bacon to horse shanks.

The victor is obvious.

BACON!