PDA

View Full Version : Vote Up a 4E Class!

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-07-24, 06:07 PM
I'm upset about how complicated it is to make a 4E class, so much so that it is nigh impossible for one to take on. Therefor I started this thread, which makes it so that several people can collaborate equally to make the task possible.

Role Controller

Power Source Shadow

Concept Darkweaver

Starting HP / HP At Levels (Voting ends august 25)
{table]Low 10/4|0
Medium 12/5|1
Medium-High 14/6|3
High 15/6|0
Very High 17/7|0
[/table]

Starting Healing Surges (+ Con)
{table]3|0
4|0
5|0
6|0
8|0
9|0
10|0
11|0
[/table]

Number of Builds
{table]1|0
2|0
3|0
4|0
5|0
[/table]

Class Builds (The ones that get the most votes)
{table]Suggested Build|0
Suggested Build|0
Suggested Build|0
Suggested Build|0
Suggested Build|0
[/table]

More Polls Coming Soon.

Zeta Kai
2010-07-24, 06:15 PM
More power to you brother. I vote for a Controller.

EDIT: Changed my mind. I know what I want now. We need a martial controller, & WotC won't give it to us, so we'll make it ourselves.

Dogmantra
2010-07-24, 08:35 PM
I'm also going to vote for a Controller because Martial Controller is a role that must be filled.

Surrealistik
2010-07-24, 08:47 PM
Psionic Striker Wilder. Low HP.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-07-24, 08:51 PM
Psionic Striker Wilder. Low HP.

We will only be voting on role until August.

Surrealistik
2010-07-24, 08:52 PM
Think of it as a preemptive vote; it's what I'd like to see.

Dogmantra
2010-07-24, 08:54 PM
You got the votes mixed up - 2 for controller and 1 for striker.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-07-24, 09:03 PM
Striker
I knew that if martial controller won it would have been a PAIN to make.

Zeta Kai
2010-07-24, 09:23 PM
Striker
I knew that if martial controller won it would have been a PAIN to make.

You don't get a vote, silly. That's not how it works. You gotta roll with what you get. Them's the rules. :smalltongue:

Krazddndfreek
2010-07-24, 09:25 PM
Controller

Agreeing with Zeta Kai's complaint, I'm eager to see a martial controller.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-07-24, 09:28 PM
You don't get a vote, silly. That's not how it works. You gotta roll with what you get. Them's the rules. :smalltongue:

Fine. :smallfrown:

Xallace
2010-07-24, 09:49 PM
Also gonna toss in a vote for Controller.
I want to see a Controller that subs something that isn't striker.

Lord Raziere
2010-07-24, 10:05 PM
Striker

there is no way a martial controller would work, I say Striker!

benevolenTyrant
2010-07-25, 01:06 AM
Striker

I am new here -- but I've been lurking around awhile.
I've been following this thread ..... the Homebrew Design thread .... and
I can't help but cast my vote, if I may, for Striker.:smallredface:

Violet Octopus
2010-07-25, 04:48 AM
Controller

I'm unfamiliar with any but the very basics of 4E, but a trap engineer, grenadier or mundane alchemist seems possible given its un-gritty nature.

Fortuna
2010-07-25, 05:32 AM
Martial Controller FTW!

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-07-25, 07:24 AM
Controller

Again, Martial Controller. It can indeed be done. I know it can.

lesser_minion
2010-07-25, 07:48 AM
Controller.

Hilarity ensued last time we did a Vote Up a 4e Class when someone misspelled the power source.

icastflare!
2010-07-25, 06:43 PM
Controller.

A martial controller would be nice.

Ihouji
2010-07-25, 09:46 PM
Defender

Pallys are lame I want a new divine defender.

Preferably one with the stick pre removed from its bum.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-07-25, 09:50 PM
Yep. I'm with the martial controller group. It's a very cool concept if it can be done right.

Remember. Fluff =/= mechanics, the fluff can be fit around the mechanics. In my opinion, though, a skirmisher would make a great fit for martial controller.

String
2010-07-25, 10:13 PM
hmm, I was torn between pushing for a primal or divine striker (as I don't like the Avenger, although their striker mechanic is interesting, and I'm interested in exploring high-damage primal characters) or pushing for a divine defender, for the same reasons as Ihouji. In the end, I'm placing my vote for

Defender

Edit: Hrmm. One thing I'm worried about is (for example) The controller losing the vote by 1 or two to striker or whatever, or winning, but Martial losing out, and the whole voting process losing steam as concepts become skewed.

alchemyprime
2010-07-25, 11:29 PM
Controller

Though for some reason, I keep forseeing a Martial Controller ending up being... THE BATMAN!

But I love controller classes, no matter the source.

Dogmantra
2010-07-26, 05:11 AM
Though for some reason, I keep forseeing a Martial Controller ending up being... THE BATMAN!

All in favour of just letting alch make all our votes for us?

Ichneumon
2010-07-26, 05:21 AM
Shouldn't you have a thematic concept first?

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-07-26, 01:11 PM
That's another possible way to go. This way, you're making a concept around the power and role.

Dude.

Batman.

n00b killa
2010-07-26, 01:20 PM
Controller (Gimme a martial controller, baby!)

Anonomuss
2010-07-26, 01:33 PM
Controller All the way.
What does it mean?
Strikers are a dime a dozen, (As there are two arcane, and the only shadow class is a striker), while controllers are somewhat lacking (See all comments above re: Martial Controller).

Surrealistik
2010-07-26, 01:57 PM
Actually yeah, change my vote to Controller. I would like to see what you do with a 4e Batman.

Zeta Kai
2010-07-26, 02:43 PM

But if you decide that first, many of the later votes will be superfluous, or will invalidate the theme by making it impossible to fulfill. Say we voted for a secretive mastermind theme, but then we ended up with a divine striker; it could work, but would be a real stretch at best. It's much better to let the theme come later, evolving organically from the foundation of the role/source/etc.

Excession
2010-07-26, 06:37 PM
Striker

These sort of threads always end up voting for martial controller and I've never seen anything come of it.

I'd like to see a divine ranged striker myself; a 1MW laser cleric if you will.

mobdrazhar
2010-07-26, 07:16 PM
my vote is for striker

Dracomortis
2010-07-26, 08:07 PM
Controller

Because while I have no idea how well a Martial Controller will turn out, I still want to see one.

Deathdarken
2010-07-26, 10:50 PM
controllers are cool

alchemyprime
2010-07-26, 11:47 PM
Striker

These sort of threads always end up voting for martial controller and I've never seen anything come of it.

I'd like to see a divine ranged striker myself; a 1MW laser cleric if you will.

But this one won't. Because I have sown my seeds of the Great Dominant Batman. And since the Grand Divine Batman is so amazing, then the Glorious Dilithium-powered Batman shall be the MARTIAL CONTROLLER!

... Also, I just made three other forms of the GD Batman. So yeah.

String
2010-08-02, 12:23 AM
Well it's looking like Controller is the winner, and I'm trying to figure out whether to jump onto the batman-bandwagon...nah.

my vote is for SHADOW powersource, in the hopes for a Shadowcaster-type class, based on living shadows, the necrotic keyword, and sapping your opponent's life-force. I imagine perhaps a few builds- perhaps one built around more 'blasty' types: dealing widespread necrotic damage, another built around more traditional status-effects lke Weakening, blinding, battlefield control, etc. And of course, Shadow constructs!
for the record, I imagine a Shadow defender might play like a 'hold the line' type character, who provides medium stickiness within a few squares, as opposed to strong stickiness up close like a fighter or disincentive to attack at range, like the Swordmage

Zeta Kai
2010-08-02, 12:54 AM
Well, the voting for role was supposed to end yesterday, & Controller totally won, so let's move on to power source.

I, of course, vote for Martial, as we need that combo filled, & WotC apparently is too chicken to do it.

Dracomortis
2010-08-02, 12:59 AM
Martial, of course.

Fortuna
2010-08-02, 04:14 AM
Martial, as of iteven needs saying.

Xallace
2010-08-02, 09:11 AM
Divine. And I'd like to see it sub defender.

String
2010-08-02, 03:12 PM
Does anyone wanna put a deadline on Power Source? Perhaps Aug. 8?

cooperflood
2010-08-02, 03:41 PM
Shadow

Lots of stuff similar to String posted, but I was envisioning something more like a hexblade. If martial is chosen this thread will just die.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-08-02, 03:45 PM
*Prays that martial doesn't win.*

Krazddndfreek
2010-08-02, 03:46 PM
Shadow

Thinking it over some more, I've seen a martial controller before. It wasn't official material, but it worked some, but it just ended up looking like a defender without a marking mechanic. We also need to have some more shadow-based classes, as Wizards only has one available.

Surrealistik
2010-08-02, 10:33 PM
Shadow Changed my mind. Would be more compelling than a martial controller I think.

Ihouji
2010-08-02, 10:36 PM
If it has to be a controller I'd like to see primal.

4e druid still makes me cry every time I open PHB2.

Oh poor poor druid, I used to love you so T_T

mobdrazhar
2010-08-02, 10:43 PM
My vote is for Shadow

CakeTown
2010-08-03, 12:27 AM
Shadow

We only have one class that uses the Shadow power source, so I think it would be interesting to see what this one will be like.

If Martial wins, that would be cool too. Besides Shadow, Martial is the only power source that doesn't have all 4 roles filled.

alchemyprime
2010-08-03, 09:14 AM
... Batman is the night. He sows fears into the hearts of criminals. How are so sure Batman isn't Shadow sourced anyway?

Besides, if it weren't for that pesky Homo Magi thing in the DCU, Bats would TOTALLY be a magician.

Shadow, assuming we still can end up with Batman type character from this.

Perhaps Matrial/Shadow fusion?

oblivion6
2010-08-03, 06:48 PM
i vote shadow (just to see how it turns out

String
2010-08-03, 09:35 PM
@alch: In the name of open intentions: I have no plans to support/vote for a batman character. if thats the way it ends up fine, but im gunning for a shadowcaster type

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-08-04, 02:20 AM
Hhhhhm. I'm going to cast a vote for Martial at the moment, because I do want to see it work.

n00b killa
2010-08-05, 01:01 PM
MARTIAL

C'mon, people, MARTIAL CONTROLLER!!!

Morph Bark
2010-08-05, 01:22 PM
Both Martial and Shadow could turn out to work for a Batman-type character, especially since he keeps as much mystique about him as possible, like ninjas did. Adds to the fear. Besides, a Shadow Controller could still use a lot of martial-like abilities and get all up close-like, or stay far away to get out dem batarangs!

I'd be interested in what kinds of new power sources one would come up with though...

String
2010-08-07, 10:40 PM
I've only got a half-hour left of Aug. 7th over here (though I know others may have more or less), so I wanted to ask if we did adopt my August 8th power source deadline suggestion? Whatevs. I'll check in tomorow.

BUMP.

Xallace
2010-08-08, 09:44 AM
Ooh, we're on concept now! Well, I believe so far Batman and Shadowcaster have been suggested.

Edit: Whoops, haha, that looked like a vote. It wasn't.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-08-08, 03:07 PM
I propose Darkweaver, a melee/ranged controller gish that focuses on debuffing with short range attacks and melee attacks.

Dracomortis
2010-08-08, 03:49 PM
I'll second Darkweaver. While I love Batman, I really don't see how you could make him into a class -- it'd basically be an artificer with some minor tweaks. Not a particular fan of the shadowcaster either; in 3e it was really just a wizard with a different casting mechanism, and while it was a fun class to play, I feel like it would be too close to a warlock/wizard hybrid in 4e.

String
2010-08-08, 04:05 PM
Just formally suggesting it:

The Shadowcaster: A mystic caster who weaves Shadowfell energies into damaging areas and Rule of Sympathy debuff effects at single targets.
Ranged/close attack debuff/direct damage dealer. For reference, I believe a hard part about deciding what concept to go with is that the Assassin tried to be a shadowdancer/assassin/shadowstuff-user/rogue combination, leaving little wiggle room.

My concept for Shadowcaster includes powers that give you an option of dealing damage or a short-term status effect, area-denial through Wall and ranged bursts, and perhaps working some necromancy in there. Implements might be orbs and tomes.

Zeta Kai
2010-08-08, 04:23 PM
Damn, my dream of a martial controller a la Batman has been dashed... :smallfrown:

...Ah well, alas. Anyway...

...Let's go with a Darkweaver. Commanding others from the shadows sounds like a cool concept. Also, you could command the shadows around you to do your bidding, even the shadows of your enemies. I wonder: what the effect would be of having your shadow taken away from you?

String
2010-08-08, 07:07 PM
Weakened? Vulnerable?

Ihouji
2010-08-09, 04:39 PM
Darkweaver sounds cool.

mobdrazhar
2010-08-09, 06:44 PM
The idea of Darkweaver is what I invisage to be a good concept. Acting like a puppet master

AtlanteanTroll
2010-08-09, 06:54 PM
Martial Controller please and thank you. Im not good with fluff. Sorry :smallfrown:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-08-09, 07:12 PM
Martial Controller please and thank you. Im not good with fluff. Sorry :smallfrown:

Sorry, but the parts where you vote for role and power score are over.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-08-09, 07:16 PM
Sorry, but the parts where you vote for role and power score are over.

I see then. Hmmm.

I like the Batman idea. A sort of interrogator or something.

alchemyprime
2010-08-10, 01:05 AM
I see then. Hmmm.

I like the Batman idea. A sort of interrogator or something.

The Vigilante, a Shadow Controller that prowls the darker corners of reality, pulls up the criminal elements and makes them come face to face with tier darkest fears.

A lot of status effects over an area. And punching things.

Lord Vampyre
2010-08-10, 07:49 PM
My vote is for a Shadowcaster.

It would be nice to see it done right in 4th Edition.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-08-10, 09:22 PM
The Vigilante, a Shadow Controller that prowls the darker corners of reality, pulls up the criminal elements and makes them come face to face with tier darkest fears.

A lot of status effects over an area. And punching things.

Dont forget the interrogations that break you.

Ihouji
2010-08-17, 01:39 AM
Well the deadline passed, so I guess I'll start off the voting for HP.

Medium-High going to need the durability to make it in melee I kind of envisioned them with light armor (cloth/leather) so the higher HP will help with survivability, and possibly some AC enhancing utilities (Shadow Armor or some such).

Also a close burst that blinds enemies but not allies would be cool, useful, and very shadow controlery

mobdrazhar
2010-08-17, 07:26 PM
i would say medium would be best as like a wizard he wouldn't have high HP as he isn't meant to be in combat.

Dracomortis
2010-08-17, 08:07 PM
Medium if we're going for a ranged/caster type class, or Medium-High if we're going with a melee build.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-08-17, 08:17 PM
Medium-High no question

Ihouji
2010-08-17, 08:37 PM
i would say medium would be best as like a wizard he wouldn't have high HP as he isn't meant to be in combat.

Its going to be a melee/ranged gish and I'd expect one of the builds to be melee focused so he'll probably be seeing some action.

Edit: I'm thinking something like bard pre arcane power, with the melee and close range abilities (but shadow obviously and controller instead of leader). Granted bard is a 12/5 class but it also has hide, chain, and light shields.

Edit 2: Josha what are you thinking as far as armor goes for this anyway? I'm kind of making the assumption of light. If its going with heavier armor 12/5 might be more appropriate.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-08-17, 10:53 PM
Medium if we're going for a ranged/caster type class, or Medium-High if we're going with a melee build.

Well, it says that the class is a gish, like a druid or bard.

Zeta Kai
2010-08-17, 10:58 PM
Medium-High.

Wait, were you asking me to describe my current state of mind? No? Well, nevermind then... I'm kidding, of course.

Dracomortis
2010-08-18, 12:31 AM
Well, it says that the class is a gish, like a druid or bard.

Sure, but a hybrid class can still focus primarily on one aspect or the other, and depending upon the nature of the class' powers it may need some extra hit points to help it survive depending upon what armor they get and what sort of buffs/debuffs the darkweaver's powers focus on.

So, to clarify: Medium if the class gets fair access to armor (similar to a bard's) or focuses more on ranged combat, but Medium-High if it's going to use lighter armor and lacks other survivability mechanics that would compensate for its lower health pool or if it focuses more on melee/close-range combat.