PDA

View Full Version : Reroll rules?

Os1ris09
2010-07-24, 10:57 PM
Ok so everyone knows that the luck domain is an amazing domain just because of its domain power. Grants 1 reroll/day. Well when you have the feat that says roll 2d20 for a will save and take the better result can you do your "reroll" from your domain power and reroll both 2d20's?

Zeta Kai
2010-07-25, 01:05 AM
Ok so everyone knows that the luck domain is an amazing domain just because of its domain power. Grants 1 reroll/day. Well when you have the feat that says roll 2d20 for a will save and take the better result can you do your "reroll" from your domain power and reroll both 2d20's?

Well, I'd ask your DM (unless you are your DM), but I'd say that you'd re-roll only one more time, & take that result no matter what. Personally, I'd also say that in such a situation, you probably should save your re-roll for something better; you're already getting a chance to roll twice & take the best result, so why add another roll to the mix? Were those last two rolls that bad? Do you need that good of a Will save? Unless its dire, save the re-roll for some other situation if you can.

HunterOfJello
2010-07-25, 01:12 AM
I've always envisioned the Luck Domain to be based on the idea of rerolling a single die, but I can see how that isn't actually explicitly stated.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-07-25, 01:30 AM
This extraordinary ability allows you to reroll one roll that you have just made before the game master declares whether the roll results in success or failure.Without looking at the exact text of the will save feat in question*, it seems like you could re-roll one of your d20 rolls in the 2d20. This is because you're not replacing a result (which would be the highest of 2d20), but actually rerolling one die roll. That said, if your initial rolls were 2 and 11, and you used your luck ability to replace the 2 and got a 7, you would still have an 11.

*Sauce? It's ringing a bell, but I can't remember exactly what/where it is...

Andion Isurand
2010-07-25, 01:34 AM
I greatly enjoy the Pride Domain Power myself...

Whenever you roll a 1 on a saving throw you may immediately reroll the save. You must keep the result of the second roll, even if it results in the roll of another 1.

You'll never re-roll worse than the roll before.

Os1ris09
2010-07-25, 01:37 AM
*Sauce? It's ringing a bell, but I can't remember exactly what/where it is...

PH II I just dont remember the feat name.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-07-25, 02:04 AM
Right, Indomitable Soul. I think my interpretation is correct, then.

arrowhen
2010-07-25, 02:45 AM
The Indomitable Soul feat states: "Whenever you make a Will save against a mind affecting or fear ability, you can roll 2d20 and use the higher of the two die rolls."

The text of the Luck domain says: "You gain the power of good fortune, which is usable once per day. This extraordinary ability allows you to reroll one roll that you have just made before the DM declares whether the roll results in success or failure. You must take the result of the reroll, even if it’s worse than the original roll."

Personally, as a DM, I would read that as follows:

"Whenever you make a Will save against a mind affecting or fear ability, you can..."

1) Roll 2d20 and use the higher of the two die rolls.

If you also had the Luck domain, and wished to use your once per day power, you could then...

2) Reroll one roll that you have just made before the DM declares whether the roll results in success or failure.

In my opinion, "one roll" in this case would include "roll 2d20 and use the higher of the two die rolls".

There's nothing in the text of "roll 2d20 and use the higher of the two die rolls" that indicates that those are two separate rolls. If the text had said "Make two rolls and take the best result", that might be different, but it seems to me that it's saying that the result of your roll (singular) is the best of 2d20.

I mostly play Core-only, though, so I might be missing something. Are there other cases where you'd roll multiple dice to determine success or failure and only take the highest result?

Gralamin
2010-07-25, 02:56 AM
I'm not 100% sure on the RAW in 3.5, but:

Indomitable Soul saids "Roll 2d20 and use the higher result", so once this action is done you have a single die roll result from your two rolls. You may then use Luck domain, allows you to reroll one roll, and use the result, even if its lower. This means that either you have one die roll to try and get higher then your result, or choose one of the two dice to roll.

I'm guessing you are supposed to roll one die and try to beat the result, but I do not recall WotC ever explicitly stating the reroll rules.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-07-25, 04:29 AM
No one's saying the rules are clear, but I stand by my interpretation. If 2d20 take the highest result counts as one roll (not one result, which is a different thing), then wouldn't damage rolls count as well?

arrowhen
2010-07-25, 09:10 AM
No one's saying the rules are clear, but I stand by my interpretation. If 2d20 take the highest result counts as one roll (not one result, which is a different thing), then wouldn't damage rolls count as well?

Nope, because they're not a roll which results in success or failure.