PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Prestige Classes

Aust Nailo
2010-07-24, 11:00 PM
I'm looking for an arcane prestige class that will advance two arcane spellcasting classes. Something similar to an Ultimate Magus, but without the prepared spellcasting requirement (I don't care for the wizard's method of casting).

Os1ris09
2010-07-24, 11:04 PM
Sorcerer/Dread necromancer/True Necromancer

Use the feat that transforms arcane spells into divine spells. There ya go. :)

Ozymandias9
2010-07-24, 11:04 PM
I'm reasonably certain there is no such class. but you could probably brew one based on MT or UM.

Optimator
2010-07-25, 05:55 AM
YEah, Ultimate Magus is pretty much the only one.

Amphetryon
2010-07-25, 06:29 AM
You could see if your DM will expand the Shadowcaster's MT exception to Ultimate Magus, and be a Sorcerer/Shadowcaster. Or, of course, a Warmage/Shadowcaster, DN/Shadowcaster, etc.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-07-25, 08:29 AM
Eldritch Theurge from Complete Mage might work, if you consider Invocations "casting".

gorfnab
2010-07-25, 08:51 AM
You could see if your DM will expand the Shadowcaster's MT exception to Ultimate Magus, and be a Sorcerer/Shadowcaster. Or, of course, a Warmage/Shadowcaster, DN/Shadowcaster, etc.
There is the Noctumancer but that is also Shadowcaster/arcane caster.

Lycanthromancer
2010-07-25, 08:56 AM
Cerebremancer works if you want to use psionics instead of arcane casting from one side.

But it's not really difficult to apply the theurgic PrCs to arcane class/arcane class combos. Just give it similar requirements to the others and have it advance both casting classes' arcane casting (and perhaps familiar advancement; it's not much, but it's slightly less sucky).

Analytica
2010-07-25, 09:18 AM
The Corrupt Arcana feat from Heroes of Horror allows you to prepare Corrupt spells from a spellbook. They count as arcane if you are an arcane caster. This should allow you to enter and benefit from Ultimate Magus using two spontaneous arcane caster classes.

aivanther
2010-07-25, 09:33 AM
You could pick up Favored Soul and go mystic theurge.

Greenish
2010-07-25, 09:47 AM
I was going to suggest Arcane Preparation to enter UM with two spontaneous casters, but that won't work by RAW.

Optimystik
2010-07-25, 10:15 AM
Cerebremancer works if you want to use psionics instead of arcane casting from one side.

But it's not really difficult to apply the theurgic PrCs to arcane class/arcane class combos. Just give it similar requirements to the others and have it advance both casting classes' arcane casting (and perhaps familiar advancement; it's not much, but it's slightly less sucky).

This. Bard 1 (PA, SS)/Educated Wilder 9/Sublime Chord 1/Cerebremancer 9 for dual 9s.

Ilmryn
2010-07-25, 10:54 AM
If you take the Arcane Preparation feat from complete arcane, I think you could go into ultimate magus with two spontaneous casters.

Greenish
2010-07-25, 11:26 AM
If you take the Arcane Preparation feat from complete arcane, I think you could go into ultimate magus with two spontaneous casters.Won't work. UM requires that on the other side, you prepare spells from a spellbook.

Os1ris09
2010-07-25, 12:33 PM
Couldn't what I said work? Use true necromancer as the PrC and have that feat that lets you use spells as the other type, such as arcane to divine and vica versa? Or is that only for prepared casters. I know its not totally optimized but its the best I can think of.

TooManyBadgers
2010-07-25, 01:49 PM
Couldn't what I said work? Use true necromancer as the PrC and have that feat that lets you use spells as the other type, such as arcane to divine and vica versa? Or is that only for prepared casters. I know its not totally optimized but its the best I can think of.

You're using shady rulings and obscure sourcebooks to get into True Necromancer?

Homebrew* is much easier, much more elegant and much less TN.

*If you consider changing the word "divine" to "arcane" in the MT to be "homebrew."

Paul H
2010-07-26, 06:15 AM
Hi

Mystic Theurge?

With Cleric's 'Spell' Domain, you use a Spellbook for Anyspell & Gtr Anyspell Domain spells. OK, cheesy, yes, and you only get to cast 2 Arcane spells/day from one of the classes, but it might have potential..........

The Domain lists other 'Arcane' spells like Limited Wish. Pair it up with another Domain that you find useful.........

Cheers
Paul H

IdleMuse
2010-07-26, 10:29 AM
The other, slightly rules-iffy way of doing it involves using two dual-progression classes. For instance, to progress two arcane classes and one divine...

Sorcerer 1/Favoured Soul 1/Beguiler 1/Mystic Theurge 1/Arcane Hierophant 10

You use Arcane Hierophant to progress both your Mystic Theurge (a divine spellcasting class) and your Beguiler levels. Obviously taking MT at level 4 requires significant early entry cheese, and you need to be a Bamboo Spirit Folk, but this is just for demonstration. Cerebremancer and a Psionic class, or Warlock and Arcane Theurge could be used instead.

DragoonWraith
2010-07-26, 10:31 AM
It's not slightly rules-iffy. It just flat-out does not work. "+1 level of (Arcane/Divine/either) spellcasting class" can only advance the spellcasting of classes that have their own spellcasting progression - which no dual-progression class does. Mystic Theurge is not an acceptable choice for "spellcasting class".

Optimystik
2010-07-26, 10:33 AM
The other, slightly rules-iffy way of doing it involves using two dual-progression classes. For instance, to progress two arcane classes and one divine...

Sorcerer 1/Favoured Soul 1/Beguiler 1/Mystic Theurge 1/Arcane Hierophant 10

You use Arcane Hierophant to progress both your Mystic Theurge (a divine spellcasting class) and your Beguiler levels. Obviously taking MT at level 4 requires significant early entry cheese, and you need to be a Bamboo Spirit Folk, but this is just for demonstration. Cerebremancer and a Psionic class, or Warlock and Arcane Theurge could be used instead.

That does not work, because Mystic Theurge is not a "divine spellcasting class." It does not get spells of its own - it merely continues the progression of a base casting class.