PDA

View Full Version : Ye Gods

Ponderthought
2010-07-25, 12:01 AM
Ive racked my brain, come up with gods for every culture, every portfolio, and yet I think im missing something. And my little neurosis wont let me write more about them until every conceivable position is filled. So, what im asking basically is:Can anyone spot a portfolio im missing, or have any ideas I can use for deities?

Note: Everything is 3.5

Gods

Lykke
Domains: Healing, Glory, Good, War

Rashne
Domains: Law, Pact, Retribution, Inquisition

Kvasir
Domains: Luck, Rune, Liberation, Trickery

Skoll
Domains: Weather, War, Courage, Animal

Hel
Domains: Death, Spite, Destruction, Evil

Ravanna
Domains: Greed, Trickery, Wealth, Planning

Nehalena
Domains: Water, Protection, Renewal, Healing

Ashur
Domains: Sand, Fate, Strength, Sun

Ostanes
Domains: Magic, Knowledge, Mentalism, Oracle

Kai'chul:
Domains: Dream, Force, Illusion, Mind

The Old Ones
Domains: Madness, Darkness, Domination, Mysticism

Doresain
Domain: Hunger, Gluttony, Chaos, Pestillence

Cas
Domains: Destruction, Pain, Spite, Evil

Kyriakos
Domains: Repose, Fate, Darkness, Balance

Ankythera
Domains: Artifice, Time, Metal, Law

Philosophic Religions

Ma'at
Domains: Law, Good , Knowledge, Nobility

The Cerulean Path
Domains: Balance, Celerity, Liberation, Oracle

Urpriest
2010-07-25, 12:21 AM
Are you trying to cover all domains, or simply all reasonable domains? I'm not seeing Community, and I thought there was a 3.5 update of it.

Ponderthought
2010-07-25, 12:40 AM
Nah, not all, just trying to cover some reasonable ones, balance them out. Its just that something keeps escaping me.

sonofzeal
2010-07-25, 02:15 AM
I'd love to see a god with Earth Air Fire Water for domains. I don't believe any of those are covered yet.

Coidzor
2010-07-25, 02:27 AM
Oh yeah, need some kind of elemental action going on.

<_< Daddy loves him some rebuked elemental slaves...

Ponderthought
2010-07-25, 03:22 AM
Perhaps, but Ive always had abit of a caveat with elemental gods.. I tend to base my gods on historical models, I.E. Odin, Mithras, Athena. An you simply dont see many elementally focused gods in history, outside of Pele and maybe Shango.

Plus they seem overdone, but im pretty good at twisting old cliches into new awesomeness.

I dunno, any suggestions for elemental gods?

Coidzor
2010-07-25, 03:34 AM
Perhaps, but Ive always had abit of a caveat with elemental gods.. I tend to base my gods on historical models, I.E. Odin, Mithras, Athena. An you simply dont see many elementally focused gods in history, outside of Pele and maybe Shango.

Plus they seem overdone, but im pretty good at twisting old cliches into new awesomeness.

I dunno, any suggestions for elemental gods?

Well, even just adding the elemental portfolios into those that they'd be appropriate with.

Fire goes well with Sun, after all. And destruction to a certain extent.

Earth goes with wealth and death, going back to even the ancient greeks if not further.

Air probably could go with storms, or water.

Water of course going well with any kind of aquatic type...

Currently blanking out on devoted elemental lords right now though. too tired.

Ponderthought
2010-07-25, 04:00 AM
Earth goes with wealth and death, going back to even the ancient greeks if not further.

Actually thats brilliant, as i have a certain cthonic judge of the dead that could benefit from a more varied portfolio. Thanks.

Kol Korran
2010-07-25, 04:08 AM
you could look to Obad Hai at the PHB for an elemental based god. i think he is supposed to represent another way to worship druidic gods other than straight druidism.

a few notes:
- your list doesn't have portfolios, just domains, some of them seem odd without explenations or the actual portfolio itself. sure ,we can try and arrive at our own conclusions, but it will be best if you described them.

- from your answers for a few questions, it seems you're trying to cover everything for a specific concept in mind/ how you view gods. not all settings use the same rules or guidelins for gods. in FR the gods are real and present, usually have a very well defined scope of influence, but can no longer act directly. in Eberron no one can be certain the gods even actually exist, and most beliefs try to deal with the entire living experience, rather than slim portfolios- one belief system covers it all, whether it's the soverign host, blood of vol or silver flame . In dark Sun, well... just read dark sun.

i've strayed a bit- can you tell us how you view your gods, their place in the world, and religion in general.

- necromancy and undeath is missing. as do more nature based religions (but this has been mentioned). i'm not sure from your domains, but does anyone worship the sea? this has been a big thing in many religions. gods of civilization?
also, what about beliefs in powerfull andgels/devils/demons? any race-based religions? panthon of dwarves, elves, dragons, goblinoids and the like?

Bushidough
2010-07-25, 04:10 AM
There's no evil god with the war domain, which seems like an oversight imo.

Ponderthought
2010-07-25, 04:41 AM
I can attempt to give some descriptions here, but, the missing gods have kind of stymied my efforts in that department, so its short descriptions for now.

Miscellaneous Gods

Lykke: a crusading female goddess. very keen on purification, by the sword if necessary. Name comes from a dutch word for good
Alignment: Lawful Good

Rashne: Female goddess of unbending law and fair judgment. Sister of Lykke. Names turkish.
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Northern Gods (think norse culture)
Kvasir: A chaotic god of cleverness and trickery. Favors humans, and gave them written language. Lifted partially from viking gods.
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Skoll: Wolf god of the weather said to chase the sun across the sky.Patron of warriors. Again, partially from norse culture
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Hel: Spitefull goddess of the disgraced dead, and revenge. lifted wholesale.
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Southern Gods (some egyptian, some ancient semetic and hindu)
Ravanna: Six armed god of thieves and greed. Prone to machiavellian gambits. name lifted from hindu lore.
Alignment: Neutral Evil, (or perhaps lawful evil)

Nehalena: Goddess of the river, fierce protector of freshwater sources, and river folk. Name generated to sound egyptian.
Alignment: Neutral Good

Ashur: Merciless god of the sun and desert, constantly testing his worshipers. Original, may be slightly mad.
Alignment: True Neutral

Ostanes: Indifferent god of magic and lore. Likes to see his worshipers excel in the magical arts, delights in puzzels. Lifted from ancient persia.

Vahan (subterranean homebrew race) Gods (need more)

Kai'chul: Vahan progenitor deity. Crafted them from the dreamstuff of the gods. Very mysterious, seldom worshiped.

Monstrous gods
The Old Ones: Lifted from lovecraft, worshiped as a whole group. Horrible in every way imaginable.
Alignment: Neutral Evil(Simply Amoral)

Doresain: King of ghouls. very unpleasant
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Cas: Horrible orc moose god. Modified from heroes of horror.

Gods of aes asquor
Kyriakos: Impartial judge of the dead. Rarely interferes in mortal affairs.
Domains: Repose, Fate, Darkness, Balance Earth

Ankythera: Goddess of invention and complex devices, in addition to lesser crafts.
Lawful Neutral

Philosophic Religions

Ma'at: Code of behavior favoring right action and proper thought.

The Cerulean Path: Ascetic philosophy focusing on discerning truth from illusion, and detaching oneself from material concerns.
Alignment:True Neutral

Hopefully this should make it easier to pick out what im missing.

Kol Korran
2010-07-25, 05:15 AM
a few ideas:
- again i mention the god of the sea, and possibly also gods of storm. they were importent in many cultures
- goddess of fertility/ plenty/ family. not sure what the domains would be but community and protection come to mind
-god/dess of agriculture. plant domain, any other? perhaps sun and water?
- god of nobility/ aristocracy/ a better class and rulership. a god only some of the population may worship, but to which everyone sacrifices.
- gods of beauty, art, muse, music, creation.

look at the Pathfinder Gods. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/basic-classes/cleric) (scroll down till you see them on the right) some of them are quite interesting, and may give ideas.

Ponderthought
2010-07-25, 05:39 AM
IVe been pondering a sea god for a while now, And I still cant settle on a concept, but I think Nodens, one of the more..benevolent god from lovecraft may work, as sort of a poseidon type figure keeping the Old Ones imprisoned in the depths.

Skoll is my current storm god, just cause I imagined the great wolfs breath stirring up fierce winds.

Xuc Xac
2010-07-25, 06:00 AM
I think you can add a lot of depth by giving the gods more varied interests. Historically, many gods didn't have a really tight portfolio. Poseidon was the god of the sea and storms and... horses. Ares was the god of war... and farming. Athena was the goddess of war and wisdom and... good citizenship. Ishtar was the goddess of conquests, both military and romantic. Want the neighboring city-state to become a tributary state to yours? Pray to Ishtar then prepare your soldiers for action. Want your girlfriend to stop being such a "nice girl" and give you a little "somethin' somethin'"? Pray to Ishtar then prepare your little soldier for action.

Maybe gamblers pray to the god of death because the lord of the underworld really loves dice and chess. There might be stories about the occasional lucky hero getting to come back from the dead because he gambled for his own soul and won.

Devils_Advocate
2010-07-25, 04:41 PM
You don't list their alignments. As a general rule, all 3.5 deities grant the domains associated with their alignments, but you don't seem to be doing that. No favored weapons, either. You might consider using weapon groups (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/weaponGroupFeats.htm) and requiring each Cleric to be proficient with his deity's favored weapon group.

The Sun domain basically was not designed to work with negative energy channeling Clerics, and doesn't really make thematic sense for them either, so bear that in mind. It's simplest to only give it to Good deities.

I don't see a god or goddess of love, either in the romantic sense of the word or the more D&D-related sense of kindness (what with Good alignment and all). Your one purportedly Good-oriented goddess sounds more fascist than benevolent. So... that seems like a possible oversight, unless e.g. you want the deities all to be morally dubious at best. (Ah, classical mythology.)

Pages 30 and 31 of Deities & Demigods lists a whole bunch of potential portfolio elements. There are sort of a select few formally associated with the salient divine abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#salientDivineAbilities), so that gives an idea of which ones the game designers thought were important.

I have a .rtf file in which I've organized some of my own thoughts on designing a pantheon... but, um, only in a fairly loose sense of "organized". I can give you the part where I kinda sort out, a bit, how various portfolio elements and related concepts relate to each other, though you may find it tl;dr. I'm not even gonna try to properly format the whole thing, so copy & paste it into WordPad or whatever if you wanna see how it's supposed to look:

Types of portfolio elements: substance, quality, entity, activity
Types of relationships between portfolio elements: is the opposite of, involves, is a type of

encouraging terrorizing
courage fear
------------------------------------
pleasure pain
joy suffering
affection anger/wrath orcs
love hatred
Good Evil
positive energy negative energy
healing necromancy
medicine poison+disease
living things undead non-living (non-undead) things Constitution constructs
nature magic magical beasts
fey
----------------------------------
Dragons
reptilian humanoids
writing speech
language
communication
knowledge/information
reason/logic emotion passion lust
intellect/manipulation Intelligence thought dreams sleep
intuition Wisdom sanity
instinct
impulse
madness
Far Realm
abberations
unnatural/otherworldly
-------------------------------------
weather (air, water)
elements elementals
matter mind/soul psionics/mental powers
objects creatures
Enchantment
Charisma
leadership
aristocracy/nobility supremacy perfection
power/authority powerlessness tyranny
control
civilization
humanoids
monstrous humanoids
--------------------------------------
hunting agriculture food hunger
animals plants vermin serpents
active inactive sloth contentment
endurance rest tiredness
mobility immobility Dexterity Travel speed time transitive planes portals
flight
air earth metal
sky underground underdark caverns
energy
force
Evocation
(Creation, Healing)
Conjuration
Teleportation/Summoning/Calling
trade
greed wealth ambition fortune fate Balance boundaries (land, sea, shore)
theft
war
retribution mercy
traps kobolds
imprisonment freedom
justice
---------------------------------------
investigation/divination
discovery
invention/innovation tradition tools judgment humans
open-mindedness prejudice
---------------------------------------
dwarves elves
armor weapons smithing/craft art
protection destruction creation artifacts
cautious aggressive
preservation change Abjuration
organization disorganization
government anarchy
obedience disobedience rebellion
Law Chaos spontaneous/unpredictable chance luck halflings
honor independence
following rules cheating games sports athletics agility
honesty trickery
revelation secrecy inquisition perception Divination stealth goblinoids
light/sun darkness moon drow
heat cold
fire ice/water aquatic life oceans, rivers, lakes, seas
sound
Illusion gnomes
shadow
Transmutation
shapeshifting
formlessness
oozes
buildings
home
family
community
teams/organizations swarms
cooperation competition
interdependence
-----------------------------------------
natural laws
rules
formal systems (logic, math)
laws, game rules commandments pacts, promises, oaths quests
unspoken rules
-----------------------------------------
beauty
work recreation entertainment art music harmony
killing resurrection
death birth/fertility
afterlife
outer planes
outsiders
deities
religion
strength weakness Strength giants
toughness vulnerability
archery melee

fire strength vengeance wealth?
poison+disease evil undead darkness
|
+---------------------------------------------------------------------- light truth ------------------------------------------------------------+ |
| | |
sun positive energy good | |
| | | | |
theft agility archery hunting animals nature plants agriculture medicine healing protection justice law war destruction death necromancy magic knowledge secrets trickery
| | | | | | | | | |
| | +--weather --+ | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | |
| travel air+water elements earth smithing armor weapons | | |
| | | | | |
greed trade craft | artifacts |
| +--------------------------+ |
creation art chaos

Horizontal lines separate stuff into sections. A... meme, I suppose... may be related to another meme in another section, with this relationship unshown due to the limitations of quickly laying this all out in two dimensions (light & sound, war & weapons, etc). Within sections, nearness is used to indicate relatedness.

At the bottom is an attempt to arrange some important concepts into a little chart. (This bit is pretty much unreadable without copying and pasting.) There, each word is meant to be associated with the words to its left or right (if any) regardless of the space between them, except for a single line of words at the upper left which are just stuff I didn't quite fit in.

I should probably try to find some sort of flowchart-making software someday.

Ponderthought
2010-07-25, 05:13 PM
I think perhaps the reason i used the good and evil domains so sparingly is simply because I dislike moral absolutes, and therefor hand it out with extreme care, so that when i do it means something. For instance, Lykke without the good aspect would be a rather harsh and humorless goddess that few people would worship. With the good domain and aspects, she becomes stern but compassionate, always willing to bestow mercy, unlike her rigid and unbending sister Rashne. Same goes for Hel and Cas, without their dedicated focus on evil, they simply become sulky bitter hacks, irritating but not threatening. As for the others, alignment is less a part of their being than other domains. their very primal. I suppose adding in some alignments will help me spot the missing pieces and balance things out, alignment-wise. I shall preform an edit to the descriptions to that effect.

Also, i may use your little portfolio tool, it seems useful.

Edit: Alright, after some editing and labeling, ive discovered some issues. Weve got lots of neutrals running around, and very little lawful evils. Also ive noted that the northern gods need more members to beef up their pantheon in comparison to the southern gods. The same goes for Aes Aesquor. The Vahan posses only one actual deity, and I think they need at least three.I think im going to need some entirely new deific powers to fill out their respective pantheons. Thus, I invite anyone to help me brainstorm new gods.

Coidzor
2010-07-25, 05:56 PM
A bit more... description, even just little blurbs attached to them would help organize it for anyone trying to add fluffwise to it.

And aid in seeing the delineations you make between 'em.

Probably separate them into separate spoilers by pantheon for greater visual ease as well.

devinkowalczyk
2010-07-25, 06:02 PM
I would like to see some sort of...continuity between the gods.
You have norse, egyptian, and others. It just is confusing.

Try something like the OOTS with different groups worshipping different sets of gods instead of this unwieldy one.

Ponderthought
2010-07-25, 06:08 PM
I would like to see some sort of...continuity between the gods.
You have norse, egyptian, and others. It just is confusing.

Try something like the OOTS with different groups worshipping different sets of gods instead of this unwieldy one.

Thats actually what im going for. The peoples of the north, the isle of Aes Aesqour and the southern coast have vastly different religious beliefs, each with its own set of gods, and including a few outlier gods that attract worship in all parts of the world. For instance, youd be unlikely to find a priest of Ostanes or Ashur in the north, but you could find adherents of Rashne or Lyyke in most places.

For ease of use, here are the gods separated into their local pantheons.

Miscellaneous Gods
These deities have many worshipers, and can be found in some variation almost anywhere.

Lykke: a crusading female goddess. very keen on purification, by the sword if necessary. Name comes from a dutch word for good
Quote:"Protection for the weak, mercy for the deserving, punishment for the wicked."

Rashne: Female goddess of unbending law and fair judgment. Sister of Lykke. Names turkish.
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Quote: "Justice must be served"

Northern Gods
The people of the north favor fierce, warlike gods.
Kvasir: A chaotic god of cleverness and trickery. Favors humans, and gave them written language. Lifted partially from viking gods.
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote:"9 days he watched from the tree, and on the 9th, spied the runes, and seizing them, fell"

Skoll: Wolf god of the weather said to chase the sun across the sky.Patron of warriors. Again, partially from norse culture
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: " *long, mournful howl* "

Hel: Spitefull goddess of the disgraced dead, and revenge. lifted wholesale.
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Quote:"Let no slight go unavenged"

Southern Gods
The gods of the southern desert are many and varied. The people pray to some to avert their wrath, and others for their blessings in areas they influence.
Ravanna: Six armed god of thieves and greed. Prone to machiavellian gambits. name lifted from hindu lore.
Alignment: Neutral Evil, (or perhaps lawful evil)
Quote: "Those who cannot hold their wealth, do not deserve it"

Nehalena: Goddess of the river, fierce protector of freshwater sources, and river folk. Name generated to sound egyptian.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: "The river is our lifeblood. To neglect it is to poison oneself"

Ashur: Merciless god of the sun and desert, constantly testing his worshipers. Original, may be slightly mad.
Quote: "The sand, the wind, the merciless sun, are all tools Ashur uses to strengthen his people"

Ostanes: Indifferent god of magic and lore. Likes to see his worshipers excel in the magical arts, delights in puzzels. Lifted from ancient persia.
Quote: "Knowledge is the only true power"

Vahan
The gods of the subterranean Vahan are strange, and seldom worshiped by the mostly agnostic populace.

Kai'chul: Vahan progenitor deity. Crafted them from the dreamstuff of the gods. Very mysterious, seldom worshiped.
Quote: "Nothing is true"

Monstrous gods
The gods of the monstrous races are rarely worshiped by civilized folk, bu occasionally gain converts from the sick and deranged.
The Old Ones: Lifted from lovecraft, worshiped as a whole group. Horrible in every way imaginable.
Alignment: Neutral Evil(Simply Amoral)
Quote: *unintelligible shrieks*

Doresain: King of ghouls. very unpleasant
Quote:" The King Hungers"

Cas: Horrible orc moose god. Modified from heroes of horror.
Quote: *howls of rage in Orcish"

Gods of Aes Aesquor
The gods venerated by the people of the isle are strange, and rarely worshiped by anyone outside the necropolis city of Aes Aesquor. That being said, many citizens are fanatical in their veneration.
Kyriakos: Impartial judge of the dead. Rarely interferes in mortal affairs.
Domains: Repose, Fate, Darkness, Balance Earth
Quote: "All will stand before Kyriakos in the end"

Ankythera: Goddess of invention and complex devices, in addition to lesser crafts.
Lawful Neutral
Quote: "Ankythera is our muse. Through us, she produces wonders"

Philosophic Religions
In several different regions, religions related not to gods but to philosophic codes have arisen. The most powerful are the Laws of Ma'at, followed in the south, and the Cerulean Path, followed by many Vahan.

Ma'at: Code of behavior favoring right action and proper thought.
Quote: "Righteousness is an imperative"

The Cerulean Path: Ascetic philosophy focusing on discerning truth from illusion, and detaching oneself from material concerns.
Alignment:True Neutral
Quote:" Time is an illusion, and so is death"

Coidzor
2010-07-25, 06:11 PM
Hmm. Clean up and organize it a bit more, perhaps devoting single posts to the subject of fleshing out each pantheon. Introducing the individual gods as well in as much detail as you have already got down and take it to the Homebrew forum then, probably.

Kaun
2010-07-25, 07:32 PM
I didnt see a god for Travel in there but i have only had one coffee today so i could have just missed it.