PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/PF] PC Item Help! -Custom-

WeeFreeMen
2010-07-25, 12:26 AM
Evening all, I am running a 5 campaign long game for 3 -NEW- players. As we all know, when we were new, we all wanted that one "Special" item. Tailored to our needs and abilities that just reeked Awesome. (Think Zanpakto)

I recently got to re-reading the Weapons of Legacy book and decided Id like to take that route. However, I don't like alot of the weapons in their and their flavor isn't quite what I'm looking for. (IE: Lacks some Rule of Cool).

The Party:
-Barbarian 4/Fighter 2 (Your run of the mill Smash and Cleave melee'r)

-Cleric 6 (War and Strength: He likes Ranged combat and Buffs barbarian)

-Rouge 5/Assassin 1 (Pretty much their Utility, Trap-Finder, etc.)

A fairly balanced party, I throw them some pointers and such. Point them in the right directions but overall they are doing an amazing job. Very well balanced. (Yes yes, I know. They lack Wizard and Wizard does it better, blah blah blah.)

Point in case is. Id like to give them their custom items now. Their world is Steampunk but Low Magic. I plan to go off their directional builds for their weapons as well as their personal tastes from real life.

Barbarian: Steam-Powered Chainsaw
Cleric: Steam-Powered Shotgun?
Rouge: No Idea.

I developed a system to run Steam Powered Items. So no problem their, Im just unknown about EVERYTHING else. What would you guys do?

I know Im leaving out some finer details, so pleae dont be afraid to ask.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-25, 08:21 AM
Magic wise the barbarian wants to hit harder, the rogue wants to be more hidden, and the cleric wants to do anything he wants to.

The barbarian weapon sounds good. I would give it a slashing enchantment of some kind and say it does +4d6 slashing damage every hit as a +4 enchantment, on top of a +1 base enchantment.

The shotgun something I don't know what to do with, you are on your own there.

As for the rogue, maybe a cloak of invisability, silence? Both would make him do what he does better. Mybe a really nice eternal wand if he uses UMA alot. A vial of eternal poison?

WeeFreeMen
2010-07-25, 12:52 PM
Thats the thing, I didnt really want their weapons to just rely on Magic seeing as that would place them out of setting, althou I can see how that could be beneficial seeing as they are "Special" weapons.

I was leaning more towards some form of technical answer.

The rouge, I am was going to give him an exoskeleton suit of some kind. "Enhance" his abilities. etc. Plus he likes that Idea.

balistafreak
2010-07-25, 01:02 PM
After three consecutive mispellings, I feel compelled to point out that your player is not a cosmetic product.

*smacks self*

On topic, I don't see how an exoskeleton fits a Rouge Rogue/Assassin. Assassin Death Attacks require stealthy study, or something like that, right? A big clanking steampunk exoskeleton seems sort of counter intuitive.

Unless it's a sneaky steampunk skeleton, in which case I throw up my hands in despair. :smalltongue:

WeeFreeMen
2010-07-25, 01:11 PM
Haha, yeah. I conceed to spelling, It is not my strong point let alone on a Cell-Phone. Stupid small buttons -_-;

On point.

Yeah, I told him about Sneaky assassin type. I am willing to make it "Stealthy" but I told him, Id have to run on steam. So.. yeah.

Please, throw me ideas haha, That was actually his idea. I am just trying to work with them, however, most of their dreams are to fantastical. IE: Mecha. ;p

balistafreak
2010-07-25, 02:30 PM
A steam-powered exoskeleton that is extremely loud, audible from almost a mile away. (I'd assume that it'd be the same for the rest of the party, so no real downside. :smalltongue:)

Except when you're within 30 or so feet of it. Then everything is quiet. Too quiet.

... sneak attack range. :smallcool:

Justification: the steam powers a stummer-esque device. (Think noise cancellation on steroids.) Throw in some sort of optical camouflage and combat enhancement and you're golden.

... personally I would laugh this idea off of the table but it's over-the-top enough to possibly work for you guys. :smallwink:

Note that this is far more complex than a chainsaw or shotgun... so you'll want to think of something creative for your other folks. Multiple attack options, perhaps.

WeeFreeMen
2010-07-25, 03:27 PM
I came up with something a bit more.. finessed.
Pistons and Springs/Pulleys. Acting to reinforce his movements.

Think the new Locke Martin exoskeleton without the fine instruments.
Since its lightweight (Mithreal/Darkwood) Its not as clunky.

Just thinking of what Bonus's something like that would give.
+Movement, +Str(+StrX for Carrying Capacity Only). MAYBE +Dex? And a minor +Con and Deflection AC+?

balistafreak
2010-07-25, 05:02 PM
I came up with something a bit more.. finessed.
Pistons and Springs/Pulleys. Acting to reinforce his movements.

... but, but, but the steam! :smallfrown:

(Unless these are steam pistons. I'm assuming not because in my head hydraulics are simply more efficient. This has no intellectual basing, so feel free to call me out on it.)

Think the new Locke Martin exoskeleton without the fine instruments.
Since its lightweight (Mithreal/Darkwood) Its not as clunky.

What is this exoskeleton you talk about? :smallconfused:

Just thinking of what Bonus's something like that would give.
+Movement, +Str(+StrX for Carrying Capacity Only). MAYBE +Dex? And a minor +Con and Deflection AC+?

I am of the firm belief that nothing you put on your body will make you more precise, which is what I feel the main component of Dexterity is. (Dexterity is not "speed", it is a combination of "finesse" and "raw reaction time". Strength is raw speed.)

Additional movement, sure. Additional strength (not just carrying capacity), definitely. (Carrying capacity is overrated anyways because the objects will still have volume. You need extra-dimensional space for large amounts of items.)

Absolutely no additional dexterity (I'd actually give it a ACP/Max Dex to AC if it wouldn't crush the hopes and dreams of your skillmonkey), and unless it involves some sort of body interface ala Iron Man (power source in his chest), no additional Constitution.

Feel free to use it as a chassis for all sorts of weapons/defensive devices/random utility tools/something wacky, though. "Go go gadget adamantine hacksaw!"