PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help my friend be a Morninglord.

AdInfinitum
2010-07-25, 12:49 AM
I'm building a PC for a friend, and he requested a Favored Soul / Morninglord of Lathander. The problem with that is the turning of undead; the answer is sacred exorcist. The complication is that he wants the full ten levels, and I don't think that is possible at our level without early entry shenanigans.

The Codex Anathema from Lords of Madness helps, lowering the skill reqs from level 7 to level 5. The only remaining hurdle is the req: "Ability to cast dismissal or dispel evil."

Anyone have any ideas about a way to satisfy that at level 5? My DM is relatively open-minded, and our party could really use someone to deal with a lich or ten.

Ozymandias9
2010-07-25, 01:49 AM
Not really. I don't know any way to get that before level 7. And it would actually be 8 for a Favored Soul. You could however use the PHBII rebuilding option to switch out 3 favored soul levels for Morninglord levels at ChL 15.

As an alternative, Master of Radiance from Libris Mortis has easier entry requirements, but looses a caster level at level 1. Soldier of Light from Deities and Demigods does the same (well, actually it gives 0 first level spells as an alternate caster). As an added benefit, the later would get you the ability to spontaneously convert your FS spells to cure spells, which would be somewhat useful against undead (by my reading, a FS wouldn't necessarily have to know the cure spells to convert).

Felirc
2010-07-25, 02:39 AM
Well, it's not technically a Favored Soul, but did you consider the Spontaneous Divine (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm) variant from UA? You'll get a slightly better casting progression and get to keep the domains/Turning, but casting will still be based on Wisdom, which may or may not be a problem for the player.

If that isn't going to work, and you need something you can get into a little earlier, might I suggest a Prestige Paladin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigePaladin)? A single level dip (which you can do at character level 7) will get you that and Detect Evil at will. I can't remember off the top of my head whether or not a Morninglord is allowed to be Lawful Good, but I don't believe it's a problem. Granted, this option has the problem of the Paladin Code, but it's still worth checking out.

Well, that's all I can think of (that wasn't already mentioned), hopefully one of them will work. =P

-Felirc-

Eldariel
2010-07-25, 06:37 PM
Favored Soul qualifies for Versatile Spellcaster which with some Extra Spell (+ possible Sanctum Spell if necessary) trickery could enable you to cast Dispel Evil ahead of schedule. Alternatively, you might want to use some trickery with Alternative Source Spell and such.

Ozymandias9
2010-07-25, 07:07 PM
Favored Soul qualifies for Versatile Spellcaster which with some Extra Spell (+ possible Sanctum Spell if necessary) trickery could enable you to cast Dispel Evil ahead of schedule. Alternatively, you might want to use some trickery with Alternative Source Spell and such.

Hadn't thought of that.

It would have to be Dismissal (4th level) rather than dispel evil, but this should work. You use Versatile Spellcaster to trade 2 2nd level spell slots for a 3rd, Extra Spell to gain access to Dismissal, and Sanctum Spell to make Dismissal 3rd level instead of 4th. Not every DM is keen on that reading of Sanctum Spell though.