PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Vehicle Maneuver Rules?

imp_fireball
2010-07-25, 04:47 AM
Anyone have any idea of how to go about incorporating levels of maneuverability for vehicles? Kind of like how flight has levels of maneuverability?

D20 Modern doesn't have levels of maneuverability I don't think (just the standard vehicle movement rules for cars).

Also, cars that have functions such as reverse and turning without moving?

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-07-25, 05:59 AM
Anyone have any idea of how to go about incorporating levels of maneuverability for vehicles? Kind of like how flight has levels of maneuverability?

D20 Modern doesn't have levels of maneuverability I don't think (just the standard vehicle movement rules for cars).

Also, cars that have functions such as reverse and turning without moving?
Manoeuvrability is dealt with in d20 modern with the manoeuvre modifier of each vehicle: "The modifier added to any Drive or Pilot checks attempted with the vehicle." [srd]
You also add the size modifier to the manoeuvre check.

If you want to make vehicles inherently more or less manoeuvrable, then you could apply the manoeuvre modifier to their turn number on the character scale, and adjust it accordingly for the chase scale.

That should cover it without adding any new stats for vehicles.

lesser_minion
2010-07-25, 07:42 AM
I haven't seen the d20M rules, but here's how I'd handle it:

The DM rates anything you'd like to do, and you make a check to do it. If the check fails, you're forced to abort the attempt in some way. If the check fails by 5 or more, and the DM feels it's reasonable, then you crash.

I'd probably give vehicles a manoeuvrability rating that reflects the maximum bonus on the check, instead of or in addition to a possible bonus of penalty on checks. No matter how skilled you are, you can only push a vehicle so far.

This also prevents particularly ridiculous stunts from working. Roleplaying games are non-visual. You don't get points for doing something that makes no sense at all, just because it looks cool (you do, however, get points for dressing like an idiot if it looks cool, because you might have a mini or a portrait of it).

imp_fireball
2010-07-25, 06:18 PM
Manoeuvrability is dealt with in d20 modern with the manoeuvre modifier of each vehicle: "The modifier added to any Drive or Pilot checks attempted with the vehicle." [srd]
You also add the size modifier to the manoeuvre check.

If you want to make vehicles inherently more or less manoeuvrable, then you could apply the manoeuvre modifier to their turn number on the character scale, and adjust it accordingly for the chase scale.

That should cover it without adding any new stats for vehicles.

The only problem is this doesn't cover vehicles that can turn without moving and vehicles that might be able to do things like drive in reverse, or accelerate/slow down really fast (like an engine raw power rating that allows them to apply a Str modifier to damage on ramming since the vehicle naturally has greater forward thrust).

Should those be listed under the 'special' section of a vehicle's block?

As for doing visually ridiculous things, I'm not too worried about that - just say that anything can be done with a vehicle however the pilot/drive DC increases depending on the vehicles maneuvering and how inconceivable the stunt is.

A rapid 180 turn isn't all that inconceivable (one of the basic stunts), but a gymnastic quadruple pivoting back flip fender stand is.

Kiren
2010-07-26, 01:44 AM
Well, we could just individually stat turning characteristics for each vehicle, or we can design rules for creating vehicles and see what that pumps out, option 2 is a pain but tends to help when the PC's want Craft:APC as a skill.

Edit: It also tends to help out with additions to vehicles such as turrets and a new motor.

Edit: Scooter has something to say http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcgNVhgOEdU&feature=related.

imp_fireball
2010-07-26, 06:23 AM
Didn't know you played borderlands. :P

Edit: It also tends to help out with additions to vehicles such as turrets and a new motor.

It's a good idea.

Turrets could either be big guns or fixed to the vehicle, operated by passengers that stand in the turret's designated seat (which is actually indicated on the vehicle as to which part it is). Unlike modern, turrets don't have their own specific size listing or limit depending on the vehicle.

Anyone can mount a massive chain gun into a van with no more then a sliding door - it's just that it's illegal (which modern actually goes out of their way to explain). Turret size and limitations is the same as the size of any other item. It probably counts as a passenger, even though a passenger can occupy its space.

Giving a vehicle a new motor is either for the purpose of repairing an old one (by getting rid of it), or increasing the thrust of the vehicle, which in effect allows it to rise in speed categories faster then the standard one per round without a pilot check. Also, thrust = Str which = more damage when ramming.

Kiren
2010-07-26, 08:48 AM
Borderlands is an awesome game, I play a on XBOX 360. Awesome quote.

Does this mean we are going to have to write up a Vehicle gen? I say point based system!

imp_fireball
2010-07-26, 02:46 PM
Does this mean we are going to have to write up a Vehicle gen? I say point based system!

Not necessarily vehicle gen, but vehicle creation definitely.

radmelon
2010-07-27, 08:32 AM
For the turn in place problem, remember that the DM has veto power for actions.