PDA

View Full Version : "English" Names to Japanese?...

Zovc
2010-07-25, 09:07 AM
I am trying to name my characters in Persona 3 Portable (I screwed something up and had to start over x.x), and I came across this:

Your name in Japanese (http://japanesetranslator.co.uk/your-name-in-japanese/)

How does that work? Is there actually a Japanese alternative to Alex (apparently it's "Arekkusu")? I searched for Zovc and it didn't find anything, so I am kind of convinced it's legit.

Anyone able to provide me any insight on this?

BisectedBrioche
2010-07-25, 09:31 AM
There's several way to "translate" a name;

1. Find a name with a similar origin (e.g. have names which translate to generic descriptions).
2. Many names have their own variations in other languages (for example my first name is of English/German origin but has an equivelant in every major European language).
3. Translate the meaning of the name.

However, Japanese name translaters tend to just rewrite your name as if it was pronounced with a Japanese accent.

Here's a more comprehensive name translater, which searches for equivelants of names: http://www.behindthename.com/translate.php

A Rainy Knight
2010-07-25, 09:46 AM
Yeah, the Japanese result that you get from the site isn't really a Japanese name, it's just the closest thing to the English name that can be produced with the characters that written Japanese has. It's how the Japanese would write your name if they didn't want to use the English alphabet to do it.

With names that aren't in that dictionary, you can take a shot at spelling it out phonetically with katakana. For instance, someone named "Zyler" would probably be written as ザイラー (Zairaa).

Allan Surgite
2010-07-25, 10:01 AM
Seconding the above.

In the case of "Alex" (presuming male) the Japanese equivalent would be something that means something similar to "defending men" - as Alex is the diminutive of Alexander, which stems from the Greek words "alexo" ("to defend, to help" etc.) and "aner" (the multiple of "man"). As the name "Alexander" has never been taken into the Japanese lexicon (to my knowledge) and "transformed" into a name (see spoiler for further information).

By "transformed," I mean adapted over time. In the case of Alexander, it has been adapted to Alexandra - feminine form, stemming from the Roman method of creating names for noble's daughters - and Aleksandr - Russian form of "Alexander" - but those two are merely examples).

You merely have to find a name with similar connotations. Now, if you want help for that, I'm no help in the slightest :smalltongue:

Dogmantra
2010-07-25, 10:22 AM
Interestingly enough, my brother is called Alex and has a Japanese girlfriend. She calls him Arekusu.

SpiderMew
2010-07-25, 10:41 AM
When i typed in my name (Joshua) it came out looking like this

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/SpiderMew/OtherImages/joshua.png

WalkingTarget
2010-07-25, 10:52 AM
Yeah, the Japanese result that you get from the site isn't really a Japanese name, it's just the closest thing to the English name that can be produced with the characters that written Japanese has. It's how the Japanese would write your name if they didn't want to use the English alphabet to do it.

With names that aren't in that dictionary, you can take a shot at spelling it out phonetically with katakana. For instance, someone named "Zyler" would probably be written as ザイラー (Zairaa).

I had a Japanese-major girlfriend named Cathy. Her name would have wound up being something like Kashi (th->s but si doesn't occur in Japanese and changes to shi). The name eventually settled on for her was Neko-chan (her name normally starting with "cat", not a direct translation of her name, but it worked for her purposes).

Serpentine
2010-07-25, 10:55 AM
Here's a hint: If you get a Japanese person to write your name in kanji, don't then ask her what it means. It's just sounds, like our letters. It doesn't mean anything.
Annoyed the bajeebus out of my exchange student... (but not as much as "So have you eaten dog?" to which her response was always a flustered "that's the Koreans!")

WalkingTarget
2010-07-25, 11:00 AM
Here's a hint: If you get a Japanese person to write your name in kanji, don't then ask her what it means. It's just sounds, like our letters. It doesn't mean anything.)

I thought if it was in kanji then it could have some meaning since that's the ideographs borrowed/adapted from Chinese characters. Hiragana and katakana were the ones that are just syllabaries untied to meaning in themselves.

Serpentine
2010-07-25, 11:04 AM
Knew someone would call me on that. Hiragana sounds rightish.

BisectedBrioche
2010-07-25, 11:38 AM
I'm quite sure that katakana's the alphabet used for foreign names (seriously, I could have learned Japanese years ago if it weren't for the fact it has several different alphabets).

Prime32
2010-07-25, 11:52 AM
I'm quite sure that katakana's the alphabet used for foreign names (seriously, I could have learned Japanese years ago if it weren't for the fact it has several different alphabets).Yes. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katakana)

This (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JapaneseLanguage) might help. Or kill you. One of the two.

The main thing is that Japanese characters function as syllables, not letters. You can't combine consonant sounds. For instance, you can't pronounce "pr" as part of a word in Japanese - it would come out as "pu-ru". Similarly, you can't end syllables in a consonant sound other than "n" (try replacing "-t" with "-to", "-m" with "-mu", etc.).

Combined with the lack of a letter "L", this would mean that "Alex" would be approximated with the characters [a] [re] [ku] [su].

Zovc
2010-07-25, 11:54 AM
Here's a hint: If you get a Japanese person to write your name in kanji, don't then ask her what it means. It's just sounds, like our letters. It doesn't mean anything.
Annoyed the bajeebus out of my exchange student... (but not as much as "So have you eaten dog?" to which her response was always a flustered "that's the Koreans!")

Okay, thanks for the help, folks! :D

BisectedBrioche
2010-07-25, 12:15 PM
Yes. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katakana)

This (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JapaneseLanguage) might help. Or kill you. One of the two.

Actually I've already read through that. I spend a lot of time on TV Tropes... (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/Bisected8) :smallredface:

Dr.Epic
2010-07-25, 02:32 PM
I am trying to name my characters in Persona 3 Portable (I screwed something up and had to start over x.x), and I came across this:

How does that work? Is there actually a Japanese alternative to Alex (apparently it's "Arekkusu")? I searched for Zovc and it didn't find anything, so I am kind of convinced it's legit.

I greatly doubt that site is completely accurate.

Xyk
2010-07-25, 02:45 PM
Xyk came out to Jiiku. Of course, I had to spell it phonetically as "Zeke" for it to work.

ForzaFiori
2010-07-26, 06:15 PM
Michael came out Maikeru based on the OP's link, and Behind the Name doesn't have a Japanese version.

Brother Oni
2010-07-27, 07:04 AM
I thought if it was in kanji then it could have some meaning since that's the ideographs borrowed/adapted from Chinese characters. Hiragana and katakana were the ones that are just syllabaries untied to meaning in themselves.

Bear in mind that the Chinese also use characters as syllables to sound other foreign names (Madonna the pop star would have something to do with horses otherwise in Chinese :smallbiggrin:).

Katakana as mentioned earlier is the default for spelling out foreign words and names.

It's much easier to spell things out phonetic rather than translate the meaning, especially with names. If you applied the same logic to oriental names, 火炭 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fo_Tan), would literally translate to Fire Charcoal in English.

Dihan
2010-07-27, 07:52 AM

Actually, kanji can also be used for syllabic purposes. I believe it's called 'ateji' or something.

Allan Surgite
2010-07-27, 07:55 AM
Michael came out Maikeru based on the OP's link, and Behind the Name doesn't have a Japanese version.
Then you find something with similar connotations (e.g. the name stems from a brave king? Find a brave lord in Japan's name) :smallwink:

Prime32
2010-07-27, 08:01 AM
Then you find something with similar connotations (e.g. the name stems from a brave king? Find a brave lord in Japan's name) :smallwink:For "brave king" I would suggest "Yuuki". It has a character which can translate as "superiority", and is pronounced like the word for courage.

http://www.behindthename.com/name/yuuki

WalkingTarget
2010-07-27, 08:20 AM
Bear in mind that the Chinese also use characters as syllables to sound other foreign names (Madonna the pop star would have something to do with horses otherwise in Chinese :smallbiggrin:).

Katakana as mentioned earlier is the default for spelling out foreign words and names.

It's much easier to spell things out phonetic rather than translate the meaning, especially with names. If you applied the same logic to oriental names, 火炭 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fo_Tan), would literally translate to Fire Charcoal in English.

Actually, kanji can also be used for syllabic purposes. I believe it's called 'ateji' or something.

Well, yeah. If you couldn't use kanji just for the sounds there wouldn't have been a point in using it to represent names anyway (I thought that was implicit in the suggestion that your name would then "mean something"). The type of puns made available due to this fact is one of my favorite things about the writing systems over there.

Or the potential for very strange "translations" like the apocryphal story of how the characters used for "Coca-cola" in China translated as "bite the wax tadpole". I think the ones actually used worked out to "happiness in the mouth" or something.

Prime32
2010-07-27, 08:21 AM
Or the potential for very strange "translations" like the apocryphal story of how the characters used for "Coca-cola" in China translated as "bite the wax tadpole". I think the ones actually used worked out to "happiness in the mouth" or something.Something like that. The latter is what they use now, anyway.

I've heard stories of people who "translated" things by typing them in English, then switching to a Chinese font.

KuReshtin
2010-07-27, 08:26 AM
My name turned out to be 'KURISUTIAN', which is pretty close to my forum name. Didn't ave a clue about that when i picked my online name, though.

Prime32
2010-07-27, 08:30 AM
My name turned out to be 'KURISUTIAN', which is pretty close to my forum name. Didn't ave a clue about that when i picked my online name, though.You didn't have a clue that KuReshtin sounds like Christian? :smallconfused:

KuReshtin
2010-07-27, 08:41 AM
You didn't have a clue that KuReshtin sounds like Christian? :smallconfused:

It honestly didn't occur to me, no. When I picked KuReshtin, I had miniscule to no knowledge on Japanese pronounciations and the correct spelling of Ku'Reshtin has the extra apostrophe. Also, the way I pronounce Ku'Reshtin sounds nothing like Christian.
Only When one of my colleagues that watches a lot of anime and was learning Japanese mentioned it to me did I realise it. I've known for a while, but since I picked the Ku'Reshtin online name about 7 or 8 years ago, at the time, I didn't know it.

Prime32
2010-07-27, 08:46 AM
Also, the way I pronounce Ku'Reshtin sounds nothing like Christian.Try saying it quickly while drunk.

KuReshtin
2010-07-27, 08:49 AM
Try saying it quickly while drunk.

Only time I refer to my name as KuReshtin when I'm drunk, I'm with friends who all know me by that online name and can't be botherd to say the entire thing, so it gets shortened to: 'Hey, KU!'

AslanCross
2010-07-27, 09:02 AM
Interestingly enough, since Japanese is phonetic, they tend to spell names rather strangely. "Camille" wouldn't be spelled in the expected way (Ka-Mi-Ru), but Ka-Mi-Yu, due to the way the "ll" digraph is pronounced.

Prime32
2010-07-27, 09:04 AM
Interestingly enough, since Japanese is phonetic, they tend to spell names rather strangely. "Camille" wouldn't be spelled in the expected way (Ka-Mi-Ru), but Ka-Mi-Yu, due to the way the "ll" digraph is pronounced.Similarly, fire is spelled "faiyaa".

Zovc
2010-07-27, 09:47 AM
Similarly, fire is spelled "faiyaa".

And I'm sure Falcon is spelled "FALKHAWN PAAAAAAWNCH!"

Wait...

Prime32
2010-07-27, 09:51 AM
And I'm sure Falcon is spelled "FALKHAWN PAAAAAAWNCH!"

Wait...I think it would be

"Watashi wa shinen! SHIENZU!"
"FARUCON PAAAAAANCHI!"
"Kaputan Farucon!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFtw7qW7Vcw)

LurkerInPlayground
2010-07-27, 03:51 PM
Hell, even the Koreans don't like dog much. It's more like a folk-medicine thing.

evalauran
2010-08-30, 11:26 PM
There's several way to "translate" a name;

1. Find a name with a similar origin (e.g. have names which translate to generic descriptions).
2. Many names have their own variations in other languages (for example my first name is of English/German origin but has an equivelant in every major European language).
3. Translate the meaning of the name.

However, Japanese name translaters tend to just rewrite your name as if it was pronounced with a Japanese accent.

Here's a more comprehensive name translater, which searches for equivelants of names: http://www.behindthename.com/translate.php

I appreciate for the information that you presented on and that I think you have a wonderful information.In future I hope from your side posting more stuff here if you have.

Drakevarg
2010-08-30, 11:44 PM
Evidently, my Japanese name would be something to the effect of "Kami Onegai." Basis being the actual meaning of my name fed into Google Translator. :smalltongue:

...y'know, I think I'll stick with Ryu Okami.

13_CBS
2010-08-31, 01:22 AM

I'm not exactly an expert on Kanji, but if I wanted a Japanese name that meant "Defender of men [the gender]", my dictionary suggests 守男 (Morio: "Protect/Defend", "Man [male]"), though this seems to be a rather uncommon name.

You could also try to construct a name; 防男 ("Atami": "Defend/Ward off", "Man"), might work, though the rules for constructing names like this are tricky.

Mercenary Pen
2010-08-31, 07:33 AM
I'm not exactly an expert on Kanji, but if I wanted a Japanese name that meant "Defender of men [the gender]", my dictionary suggests 守男 (Morio: "Protect/Defend", "Man [male]"), though this seems to be a rather uncommon name.

You could also try to construct a name; 防男 ("Atami": "Defend/Ward off", "Man"), might work, though the rules for constructing names like this are tricky.

Alternatively, you could go for the more common Mamoru (translating as the verb 'to protect') and skip the men part... its up to you how much you want to focus on that bit...

Disclaimer: I have only picked up odd words of Japanese by ear, and have as yet no written proficiency with the language.

Prime32
2010-08-31, 08:06 AM
Evidently, my Japanese name would be something to the effect of "Kami Onegai." Basis being the actual meaning of my name fed into Google Translator. :smalltongue:"Please, god"? :smallconfused:

I'm guessing that your name means "to make God happy", rather than "to beg something from a god/spirit".

BisectedBrioche
2010-08-31, 09:25 AM
I appreciate for the information that you presented on and that I think you have a wonderful information.In future I hope from your side posting more stuff here if you have.

Erm...thanks.

Drakevarg
2010-08-31, 07:15 PM
"Please, god"? :smallconfused:

I'm guessing that your name means "to make God happy", rather than "to beg something from a god/spirit".

My name means "Ask of God."

AtlanteanTroll
2010-08-31, 07:41 PM
Well, my name sounds like the Japanese word for ice, so I was called Ice-Kun in Japan. Best nickname ever. Though, the "N" in my name kind of made things weird.

Drakevarg
2010-08-31, 07:56 PM
Well, my name sounds like the Japanese word for ice, so I was called Ice-Kun in Japan. Best nickname ever. Though, the "N" in my name kind of made things weird.

Random guess: Is your name Colin, or something to that effect? :smallconfused:

AtlanteanTroll
2010-08-31, 07:59 PM
Random guess: Is your name Colin, or something to that effect? :smallconfused:

Corin, but it worked well enough I guess.

Drakevarg
2010-08-31, 08:03 PM
Corin, but it worked well enough I guess.

That's actually closer, I just guessed Colin since it was a more common name.

Kori-Kun... that is a cool nickname.

Temotei
2010-08-31, 08:08 PM
In 2nd grade, I was told my Japanese name was Temotei.

Google Translate (ha, fail) says it's Ooawagaeri.

...:smallconfused:

Te-Ii-Mo-Shi-Ii-H is how it's pronounced, according to this site (http://www.whatismynameinjapanese.com/).

AtlanteanTroll
2010-08-31, 08:10 PM
That's actually closer, I just guessed Colin since it was a more common name.

Kori-Kun... that is a cool nickname.

I thought it was fun.

Never trust a translator, just look at Hiragana (or Katakana) and try to string them together to make your name.

Drakevarg
2010-08-31, 08:10 PM

Temotei is basically just "pronounced with a Japanese accent."

For Google Translate, did you look up the meaning first, or just type "Timothy" in to see what happened?

Never trust a translator, just look at Hiragana (or Katakana) and try to string them together to make your name.

But that just leads to pronunciation without meaning, and those kind of names suck. :smallannoyed:

Temotei
2010-08-31, 08:13 PM
Temotei is basically just "pronounced with a Japanese accent."

Yeah. :smallsigh:

It's a nickname of mine, so that's always going to stick with me.

For Google Translate, did you look up the meaning first, or just type "Timothy" in to see what happened?

The latter. I know the meaning of my name, so I'm looking that up now.

Honoring = Sonchō shi

God = Kami

Honoring God = Sonchō shi,-shin?

I've no idea. I hate translators so much. :smallannoyed:

Prime32
2010-08-31, 08:15 PM
Corin, but it worked well enough I guess.http://kamenon.web.fc2.com/personal/turna/image/corin.jpg

Drakevarg
2010-08-31, 08:18 PM
The latter. I know the meaning of my name, so I'm looking that up now.

Honoring = Sonchō shi

God = Kami

Honoring God = Sonchō shi,-shin?

I've no idea. I hate translators so much. :smallannoyed:

It's probably Soncho shi Kami. I think Soncho shi-shin is more "God who honors."

A Rainy Knight
2010-08-31, 08:22 PM
Te-Ii-Mo-Shi-Ii-H is how it's pronounced, according to this site (http://www.whatismynameinjapanese.com/).

I didn't look at the site, but I'm going to guess that it used "ティ" as the first part of your name, which uses the katakana for 'te' and 'i' but is used to represent the sound 'ti,' which doesn't show up in native Japanese. So my guess would be that you pronounce your Japanese name Ti-Mo-Shii (ティモシー).

AtlanteanTroll
2010-08-31, 08:25 PM
But that just leads to pronunciation without meaning, and those kind of names suck. :smallannoyed:

Well, thats how I think of names, so yeah.

http://kamenon.web.fc2.com/personal/turna/image/corin.jpg

Didn't work. Well, it did, but Error 404.

Prplcheez
2010-08-31, 08:33 PM
I can't find any websites that transcribe my name properly.

Granted, "Garrett" doesn't fit the standard rules for Katakana translation, same way as "cannon" doesn't.

Drakevarg
2010-08-31, 08:44 PM

Granted, "Garrett" doesn't fit the standard rules for Katakana translation, same way as "cannon" doesn't.

Garrett:
Anglo-Saxon - "Strong Spear"
Irish - "Brave"
Norse - "Watchful"

Stong Spear - "Kyōryokuna supia"
Brave - "Bureibu"
Watchful - "Yōjinbukai"

Temotei
2010-08-31, 08:45 PM
It's probably Soncho shi Kami. I think Soncho shi-shin is more "God who honors."

Ooh. I like the second one, though. :smallfrown::smalltongue:

13_CBS
2010-08-31, 10:12 PM
Temotei:

敬神 (Any combination of "ke", "taka", "takashi", toshi", "nori", "hiro", "yuki", "yoshi" for the 1st character, and "ka", "gaku", "kana", "kamo", "kuma", "ko", "koha", "dama", or "mi" for the 2nd character.) "Honor/awe/respect" + "Gods/divine spirits"

Strong Spear:

強槍 (Probably "sune" for the 1st character, "utsu" for the 2nd, though you may be able to get away with "kowayari" or "tsuyoyari", among others.)

Brave:

勇 ("Isamu")

Watchful:

I...got nothing. :smallfrown: There are no Kanji characters explicitly meaning "watchful", only combinations of characters that end up meaning "watchful" but when broken down consist of characters like "Service/use" + "heart/mind" + "intensity".

The closest that I could get was 静観 ("Shidzu" (quiet) + "mi" (appearance, view)), but 静観 is already another word meaning, well, watchful.

Prime32
2010-09-01, 09:22 AM
Garrett:
Anglo-Saxon - "Strong Spear"
Irish - "Brave"
Norse - "Watchful"

Stong Spear - "Kyōryokuna supia"
Brave - "Bureibu"
Watchful - "Yōjinbukai"
"supia" and "bureibu" are just spear and brave pronounced with a Japanese accent. I'd suggest looking for a name meaning "guard" (http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/dosearch?sDict=on&H=PS&L=E&T=guard&WC=none&FG=r&BG=b&S=26).

Granted, "Garrett" doesn't fit the standard rules for Katakana translation, same way as "cannon" doesn't."With an accent" they would be ga-re-to and ka-no-n.

Lioness
2010-09-01, 09:36 AM
I pity the poor guy in my old Japanese class. He was called Jordan.

Teacher was never at a loss for a joke :smallbiggrin:

The Librarian
2010-09-01, 08:50 PM
Just thought I throw in my two cents here.

So, according to my pen pal, and long time friend from Japan. My name translates precisely to Katsugu (Pronounced [Katsu] [Go]). When I asked him if the my name had any meaning in it, I found out "Katsu" means "Victory."

I am a happy person knowing that.

Prime32
2010-09-02, 06:29 AM
Just thought I throw in my two cents here.

So, according to my pen pal, and long time friend from Japan. My name translates precisely to Katsugu (Pronounced [Katsu] [Go]). When I asked him if the my name had any meaning in it, I found out "Katsu" means "Victory."

I am a happy person knowing that.I'm confused. If it was a translation, wouldn't your name already mean victory?

Lioness
2010-09-02, 06:46 AM
So, to those more fluent in Japanese than I (not difficult). Can you please translate my name to kanji?

It's Ella - it means, depending on the source, either "torch" or "Elfin princess/foreign/otherworldly"

I had a quick squiz at baby name websites, but couldn't find anything.

Brother Oni
2010-09-02, 07:17 AM
Romanji: Era
Katakana: エラ
Hiragana: えら

I can't find a kanji equivalent at the moment - I'll have a look when I have more time.

As I've mentioned earlier, a meaning translation of a name is usually pointless - for example, "torch" would be 松明, which is literally a piece of wood you ignite to provide light, so would probably confuse any Japanese people.

If you like, I can try and find a similiar meaning name in Japanese (it'd be an interpretation rather than a translation though) or come up with some literal translations.

Edit: Spelt 'error' rather than 'era' in katakana.

Lioness
2010-09-02, 07:30 AM
Romanji: Era
Katakana: エラー
Hiragana: えら

I can't find a kanji equivalent at the moment - I'll have a look when I have more time.

As I've mentioned earlier, a meaning translation of a name is usually pointless - for example, "torch" would be 松明, which is literally a piece of wood you ignite to provide light, so would probably confuse any Japanese people.

If you like, I can try and find a similiar meaning name in Japanese (it'd be an interpretation rather than a translation though) or come up with some literal translations.

I knew the katakana and hiragana...I've been doing Japanese for 4 years or so...unfortunately not long enough to know a lot of kanji.

Closest I've found is "Yousei" 妖精, which apparently means fairy.

If it's not too much effort, could you? My exchange student gave me a Japanese name, but I can't remember what it is. It was phonetic though..."E" as in picture, and I can't remember what the "ra" was.

Edit: Apparently, "Era" as a whole means "Jaw" or "Fish Gills". 顋
It could be worse, I guess, but yikes

Prime32
2010-09-02, 10:23 AM
I put "torch" into a translator and got "kyo".

I've heard Kyo used as a name, but usually for guys (and with different kanji). Yousei sounds decent.

Brother Oni
2010-09-02, 11:50 AM
Speaking to my wife, she thinks the phonetic kanji your exchange student gave you might be 絵良, 'Picture' and 'Good', or 絵羅, 'Picture' and 'Net'.

Edit: Apparently these two translations for Ella ('Era') are used by actual people.

I've dug up some name roots for Ella to try and figure out some decent interpretations, and apparently it has different meanings depending on what language it's based on.

Greek: Light - Hikari or Akari, with varying kanji of 光 or 明かり or 輝き.

English: elf - yousei, which you have already. It's not really used as a name per se though. The problem with 'fairy' is that it's a japanese interpretation of a western mythology figure. A fairy as in the capricious Fair Folk would translate far more readily to 'Oni' which is definitely not what you want. :smallbiggrin:
A more accurate term for an ethereal mystical being would be Tennyo (天女), but that's a catch-all term for a celestial female figure. The problem with well known Tennyo is that they're viewed as goddesses, thus might be a bit pretentious to interpret Ella as one of these.

German: Other foreign - Gaijin, 外国人. Again it's not really a name, but more a descriptive term.

Does this help any?

I put "torch" into a translator and got "kyo".

Not sure whether you got kyo from as there's torch as in a flashlight (懐中電燈) and torch as in burning wood type.

Kyo is usually a masculine name, but depending on the character, it can be a feminine name. It won't have the same root meaning of 'Ella' though, neither would it be phonetically similar.

Yora
2010-09-02, 12:25 PM
So, to those more fluent in Japanese than I (not difficult). Can you please translate my name to kanji?

It's Ella - it means, depending on the source, either "torch" or "Elfin princess/foreign/otherworldly"

I had a quick squiz at baby name websites, but couldn't find anything.
Here in Germany Ella is usually used as short for Elizabeth, which is based on the hebrew name Elisheva. It means something like "being close to god".
Depending on how you pronounce the name アッエ might be better way to write it, as it indicates a short E instead of a regular E.

It's not actually that difficult, but you really need some understanding of katakana and common transcription rules to get it:

The Japanese syllable "ga" is actually pronounced as "guh" in english. "Ge" fits much better.
I'm not 100% sure about english, but in German double consonants indicate that the vowel in front of it is very short. In Japanese this is done by putting the kana "tsu" in front of it, but it's written smaller then usual, so you know it's not pronounced but just an indicator for pronounciation.
All kana are syllables that start with a consonant and end with a vowel, so if a word ends with a consonant, you just drop the last vowel when pronouncing it. Actually a lot of vowels are dropped in Japanese writing, but there's no way of telling which ones by just looking at the script.

So the name Garrett would be written as "Ge - (tsu) - re - (tsu) - to" or
ゲッレット
However, you have to tell a person it's Garrett and not Garretto.

Brother Oni
2010-09-02, 01:07 PM
Depending on how you pronounce the name アッエ might be better way to write it, as it indicates a short E instead of a regular E.

Are you sure about this as apparently this would be pronounced 'Ah-eh', short emphasis on the 'Ah' and a jump in between the syllables.

So the name Garrett would be written as "Ge - (tsu) - re - (tsu) - to" or
ゲッレット
However, you have to tell a person it's Garrett and not Garretto.

You don't need the first tsu, so ゲレット would be closer.

The exact sound would be better written as ガレット, but this is used for a type of french dessert.

There's a musican by the name of Amos Garrett and his family name has been formally written as ギャレット, which is probably the closest you can get.

Yora
2010-09-02, 01:13 PM
Yes, somehow my keyboard has failed me with the katakana in the first case.
エッラ is what it has to look like.

If the A in Garrett is pronounced as in "hammer", I would write it Ge, if it's like in "barn", I would use Ga. As it's a rather uncommon name, I'm not exactly sure how it's pronounced.

Silly Wizard
2010-09-02, 04:29 PM
I took a beginner's course in Japanese before I switched to French, and my name translated was Jesuroo (Jethro). Now it's Rutsuasu (Lucius), according to my girlfriend and her Japanese foil Dark Lucius Level 8 (From YuGiOh!).

Lioness
2010-09-02, 09:28 PM
Speaking to my wife, she thinks the phonetic kanji your exchange student gave you might be 絵良, 'Picture' and 'Good', or 絵羅, 'Picture' and 'Net'.

Edit: Apparently these two translations for Ella ('Era') are used by actual people.

I've dug up some name roots for Ella to try and figure out some decent interpretations, and apparently it has different meanings depending on what language it's based on.

Greek: Light - Hikari or Akari, with varying kanji of 光 or 明かり or 輝き.

English: elf - yousei, which you have already. It's not really used as a name per se though. The problem with 'fairy' is that it's a japanese interpretation of a western mythology figure. A fairy as in the capricious Fair Folk would translate far more readily to 'Oni' which is definitely not what you want. :smallbiggrin:
A more accurate term for an ethereal mystical being would be Tennyo (天女), but that's a catch-all term for a celestial female figure. The problem with well known Tennyo is that they're viewed as goddesses, thus might be a bit pretentious to interpret Ella as one of these.

German: Other foreign - Gaijin, 外国人. Again it's not really a name, but more a descriptive term.

Does this help any?

Not sure whether you got kyo from as there's torch as in a flashlight (懐中電燈) and torch as in burning wood type.

Kyo is usually a masculine name, but depending on the character, it can be a feminine name. It won't have the same root meaning of 'Ella' though, neither would it be phonetically similar.

Thanks a lot :)

I think the name my exchange student gave me was 絵良

I rather like 光 though...such a pretty kanji.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-02, 09:36 PM
If your name means "hollow" what would it be in Japanese? I'm a bit into making up OCs and giving them Japanese names.

Brother Oni
2010-09-03, 07:12 AM
If your name means "hollow" what would it be in Japanese? I'm a bit into making up OCs and giving them Japanese names.

And my point of meaning translations being pointless is ignored yet again. :smallsigh:

Anyway, you need to be clearer on what you mean by 'hollow'.

There's a bunch of words in a dictionary which mean hollow: anaboko, hekomi, karappo, kubochi, kubomi, kubotamari, kuri, nakabiku.
These are just words, rather than a name though.

If you mean the philosophical concept of emptiness, void, nothingness, then something with the word 'mu' (無) would be suitable. However I can't think of a single name that would use this character (I'll ask my wife later if she knows of one).

Munin (無人) could be used, but it's more of a term meaning 'nothing people' or 'no man'.

For a more descriptive term, you could use Muugen no Juunin (無限の住人), which literally translates to 'inhabitant of infinity'. There's a manga by this name, better known as 'Blade of the Immortal' in the west.
Infinity isn't the same concept as nothing though.

If you want other suggestions, you'll need to be clearer on what you mean by 'hollow'.

Maximum Zersk
2010-09-03, 08:23 AM
Heh, I've noticed that quite a few "japanese" names on this page are just the original name pronounced with only japanese phonemes and syllable structure. :smalltongue:

Prime32
2010-09-03, 09:33 AM
And my point of meaning translations being pointless is ignored yet again. :smallsigh:

Anyway, you need to be clearer on what you mean by 'hollow'.

There's a bunch of words in a dictionary which mean hollow: anaboko, hekomi, karappo, kubochi, kubomi, kubotamari, kuri, nakabiku.
These are just words, rather than a name though.

If you mean the philosophical concept of emptiness, void, nothingness, then something with the word 'mu' (無) would be suitable. However I can't think of a single name that would use this character (I'll ask my wife later if she knows of one).

Munin (無人) could be used, but it's more of a term meaning 'nothing people' or 'no man'.

For a more descriptive term, you could use Muugen no Juunin (無限の住人), which literally translates to 'inhabitant of infinity'. There's a manga by this name, better known as 'Blade of the Immortal' in the west.
Infinity isn't the same concept as nothing though.

If you want other suggestions, you'll need to be clearer on what you mean by 'hollow'.I would go for "Kara".
http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/FG=r/jap/%b6%f5?TR

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-09-03, 09:34 AM
Heh, I've noticed that quite a few "japanese" names on this page are just the original name pronounced with only japanese phonemes and syllable structure. :smalltongue:

Fifuti-Aido Furedo?

Prime32
2010-09-03, 09:39 AM
Heh, I've noticed that quite a few "japanese" names on this page are just the original name pronounced with only japanese phonemes and syllable structure. :smalltongue:If you render my first name like that, it's a valid Japanese name. However, it's a girl's name. -_-'

It's possible to render my surname so that it has the same prononciation and meaning.

...No I'm not telling you my name. I have my paranoia to consider.

Yora
2010-09-03, 10:03 AM
It probably ends in "-ko". :smallbiggrin:

We never claimed anything else. :smallwink:

Actually translating names seems rather pointless to me, as you often just make up a completely new creation that doesn't actually exist in the other language.

Silly Wizard
2010-09-03, 12:31 PM

That's pretty much what it is. The translation machine on the OP's post just changes it to Japanese directly, not giving you a totally new Japanese name.

Brother Oni
2010-09-03, 12:36 PM
My mistake, it's actually Mujin (無人) and that particular phrasing is normally used for 'unmanned'.

Kara sounds fine, but bear in mind that in English, it's a girl's name. If AtlanteanTroll wanted to add a linguistic joke to his character, he could use that.

Reminds me of a character I made for a game named Lung (龍) meaning dragon. The number of people who thought I was named after a body part, despite it not being pronounced the same... :smallsigh:

We never claimed anything else. :smallwink:

Actually translating names seems rather pointless to me, as you often just make up a completely new creation that doesn't actually exist in the other language.

Agreed.

Prime32
2010-09-03, 05:41 PM
Reminds me of a character I made for a game named Lung (龍) meaning dragon. The number of people who thought I was named after a body part, despite it not being pronounced the same... :smallsigh:At least you didn't call him Long.