PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Build Issues - Warforged Shaper

Violet Octopus
2010-07-25, 10:06 AM
I'm joining a new D&D group, and my planned character is a level 4 Warforged Shaper. This is my first time playing a psionic character. I'm pretty excited :smallsmile:

Current build details:

Powers:
1st: astral construct, energy ray, far hand, entangling ectoplasm, detect psionics
2nd psionic repair damage, damp power, concussion blast, psionic identify

Feats: are Mithral Body, Boost Construct and Skin of the Construct

The rest of the party are a barbarian, beguiler, cleric and monk. I don't know the details of their characters yet.
My intended roles in combat are direct damage (the party has indicated they would like blasting power), astral constructs (because they're awesome) and party shielding. I'm staying away from telepathy because of the beguiler, despite the fun Asimov-esque possibilities.

Things I would like help with:

1) I would like to flesh out the party shielding capabilities a bit more. Have I missed any powers that can do that at level 4?

2) I'm not sure how well a psion concentrating on DD and summoning balances with the rest of the party. I have no desire to powergame, but my duskblade one-shotted a miniboss in the most recent game I played, thus indirectly causing a TPK when the DM overcompensated on the later encounters.

3) Looking around for prestige classes, the only one I've found that's appealing is the Iron Mind (Races of Stone). The Ectopic Adept is not at all what I want - the feats modifying astral constructs are ugly.
I see two possible entries:
- taking Adamantine Body instead of Mithral, and convincing the DM that it fulfils the "proficient with heavy armor" requirement. BAB and other feat requirements allow 7th level entry.
- taking a level of fighter, allowing 6th level entry. However, the fighter class skills are horrid, and with 18 Int I have a lot of points to burn. Perhaps some different full-BAB heavy-armor class? Even Samurai looks appealing.

I don't know if I'm neglecting any possibilities. I guess I could just go straight Shaper. But this ties into 2) - if I am too powerful relative to the party perhaps slowing down manifester progression is the way to go. And being less squishy is nice.

So, ideas?

Optimystik
2010-07-25, 10:35 AM
Forget Iron Mind/Ectopic Adept (and the Astral Construct nerfs in Complete Psionic that go with it.) Instead, stick with the SRD, and use the Constructor PrC. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625b)

For your party balance concerns, you are in an excellent spot. The Beguiler can skillmonkey and crowd control, the cleric and barbarian can tank, and the monk can do whatever monks do, so your powers and summons can fill any gaps the others need. You can help the Beguiler with crowd control by combining your Grease/Wall of Ectoplasm with their Solid Fog, your summons can grapple and flank to help the beatsticks destroy the enemy, etc.

You don't really need to blast, though it's not bad if you want to, since there doesn't seem to be a lot of ranged damage in your party.

Greenish
2010-07-25, 10:49 AM
the monk can do whatever monks doSlowly fall 20' without taking falling damage while next to a wall!

Anyway, are you sure about Mithral Body? Adamantine one offers great protection on low levels, while Psiforged Body allows you to store your PP.

Sliver
2010-07-25, 10:57 AM
- taking a level of fighter, allowing 6th level entry. However, the fighter class skills are horrid, and with 18 Int I have a lot of points to burn. Perhaps some different full-BAB heavy-armor class? Even Samurai looks appealing.

If you find no other way, Crusader is way better then fighter for the heavy proficiency. You will even get a little free healing in melee, since the maneuver hp recovery isn't reduced.

Violet Octopus
2010-07-25, 12:15 PM
Forget Iron Mind/Ectopic Adept (and the Astral Construct nerfs in Complete Psionic that go with it.) Instead, stick with the SRD, and use the Constructor PrC. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625b)

For your party balance concerns, you are in an excellent spot. The Beguiler can skillmonkey and crowd control, the cleric and barbarian can tank, and the monk can do whatever monks do, so your powers and summons can fill any gaps the others need. You can help the Beguiler with crowd control by combining your Grease/Wall of Ectoplasm with their Solid Fog, your summons can grapple and flank to help the beatsticks destroy the enemy,

You don't really need to blast, though it's not bad if you want to, since there doesn't seem to be a lot of ranged damage in your party.

YES, the Constructor class is perfect (or almost - if only it got Ride). I always forget to check the Wizards website. Awesome.

I have no intention of using the nerfed astral construct rules, unless the DM actually points it out. Complete Psionic is horrid, though I do like Skin of the Construct and the negative augmentation option for dimension door.

Cool, I was hoping for that balance spot of being useful in synergy with others. Tricky as with psionics there seems to be little that directly buffs other party members.

I'm not focusing on blasting, probably one AoE power in the future and then I'm done.

Anyway, are you sure about Mithral Body? Adamantine one offers great protection on low levels, while Psiforged Body allows you to store your PP.

I have been very torn between Adamantine and Mithral, and I would have had to take Adamantine if I wanted to use Iron Mind class features (which only work if you're wearing heavy armor). I don't like decreased mobility, though at least I wouldn't drown if I fell off a boat. Still open to taking Adamantine Body though, eve

If you find no other way, Crusader is way better then fighter for the heavy proficiency. You will even get a little free healing in melee, since the maneuver hp recovery isn't reduced.

Considering the party makeup, I'm wary about being the guy who rocks up with two noncore magic systems, even if they are better balanced than core magic. Anyway I'll be entering Constructor if possible.

I guess I have another question about powers. I'm going to have to make room for ecto protection, but is there anything else I should reconsider as a waste? I know psionic grease is popular, but I opted for entangling ectoplasm as it can be refluffed to telekinetically controlling plants or debris to entangle something.

Escheton
2010-07-25, 01:05 PM

Actually, it is.
It heals hitpoint damage. That is what is reduced. The warforged entry says nothing about positive energy. Just hitpoint damage healing. And thats what crusaders do.

FelixG
2010-07-25, 01:14 PM
Actually, it is.
It heals hitpoint damage. That is what is reduced. The warforged entry says nothing about positive energy. Just hitpoint damage healing. And thats what crusaders do.

No it talks about spells from the healing type, not just healing hitpoints

tyckspoon
2010-07-25, 01:14 PM
Actually, it is.

It says spells from the healing subschool. That is a very, very specific set of HP recovery effects, and has no effect on things like the Repair Construct powers, their arcane spell equivalents, or Crusader maneuvers except for Strike of Righteous Vitality, because that one specifically casts Heal as per the spell.

Escheton
2010-07-25, 01:47 PM
However, spells from
the healing subschool and supernatural abilities that
cure hit point damage or ability damage provide only
half their normal effect to a warforged.

not a supernatural ability, forgot about that.
Well thats what ya get when not doublechecking.

TooManyBadgers
2010-07-25, 01:56 PM
With a beguiler and a cleric in the party, I'd hesitate to take Detect Psionics, unless you're using "psionics is different" mechanics.

Minor Creation is made of versatility and fun that can't be emulated by anybody else in your group, especially at this level.