PDA

View Full Version : I need a good 7th level spell

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-25, 12:30 PM
hello everyone. I'm building a sorcerer and having trouble picking 7th level spells. . . Anyone have any ideas on a 7th level spell that would be really good for a sorcerer?

i've noticed plenty that would be great for a wizard who can pick and choose what he casts between various situations. . . but not alot for a sorcerer who only has so many spells known and needs somthing usefull all the time. . .'

EDIT: I already have Limited Wish.

Prodan
2010-07-25, 12:31 PM
Limited Wish.

Next!

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-25, 12:32 PM
Correction. . . i need ANOTHER good 7th level spell. . . limited wish was the obvious one but i get more than 1 7th level spell. . lol

Prodan
2010-07-25, 12:36 PM
Summon Monster 7
Plane Shift
Greater Arcane Sight

Caphi
2010-07-25, 12:38 PM
Greater shadow conjuration.

Evard
2010-07-25, 12:45 PM
Statue: Mario Brothers 3

Finger of Death: Fun for kids of all ages

Prismatic Spray: Fun in a case

Power Word Blind: This is really helpful when your party is defeated by the BBEG, you are the only one left and he has like just enough hp to be scary still... You hit him with this sucker and you should survive :P Or when you want to mess with the party's ranged ranger :p

Arbitrarity
2010-07-25, 12:46 PM
Arcane Spellsurge, Waves of Exhaustion, Greater Shadow Conjuration, Prismatic Spray

Jota
2010-07-25, 12:53 PM
Forcecage is nice. Prismatic Spray and Finger of Death have already been mentioned. Plane Shift is both a useful utility and a save-or-die against many things that are otherwise immune to said effects.

Evil Glare and Hiss of Sleep (both Spell Compendium) can be pretty nasty as well.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-25, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the Quick responses.

Think i'm going to go with greater shadow conjuration and Finger of death. . . they fit the character well. . .

Evard
2010-07-25, 12:57 PM
Atleast in the SRD there are not many that are bad spells... Not sure about other books tho

Emmerask
2010-07-25, 01:01 PM
Project image is pretty nice, though the dm might throw books at you if you abuse it :smallsmile:

Evard
2010-07-25, 01:04 PM
this one could be fun (but expensive)

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/simulacrum.htm

But if you get shot at by mages a lot then try this
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spellTurning.htm

Yes being sent through a rift is a viable option but you are a SORCERER what better way to die then your own spell going all Dr Who on your butt

Arbitrarity
2010-07-25, 01:18 PM
Repeating if you don't know what it does: Arcane Spellsurge makes all your standard action spells swift actions for 1 round/level. And makes full round action spells standard action spells. Combine with a +0 metamagic (invisible spell) and after casting, you can ALWAYS use 2 spells/round, one of which can be metamagicked.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-25, 01:19 PM
Spells like Simulacrum dont make sense for a sorcerer. the cost is too high for a sponaneous caster who has such a limited number os spells to choose from. . . it's a perfect example of a spell thats great for a wizard but really just doesnt make sense for a sorcerer. .

Iku Rex
2010-07-25, 01:26 PM
Elemental body (SpC) is a useful self-buff.

Kobold-Bard
2010-07-25, 01:32 PM
Reverse Gravity. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reverseGravity.htm)

This is the most fun spell ever. Cast a Fly spell before hand, walk into the BBEG's palace, and send all his minions slamming into the ceiling while you just stand there (since you can fly, you just flying with your feet touching the floor).

Evard
2010-07-25, 01:33 PM
Ironguard, Greater(MoF p97) – Subject becomes immune to metal.

Could be nice to stand on the front lines laughing at all the enemies slinging swords at you

Felyndiira
2010-07-25, 01:48 PM
Avasculate (Lib. Mortis): Knock out half of your target's HP instantly on ranged touch attack, no save. Also, fortitude save or be stunned for long enough for your allies to finish off the other half. The fluff is also impressive.

gbprime
2010-07-25, 02:18 PM
Summon Monster 7
Plane Shift
Greater Arcane Sight

Why would you take Plane Shift? Take Summon Monster 7 and summon something that can use Plane Shift FOR you. :smallamused:

Example, a Movanic Deva (Fiend Folio). You summon it using Summon Monster 7, and it can use quite a few cool spell like abilities on your behalf before it vanishes. Such as... Death Ward (buff the whole party!), Cure Serious Wounds, Neutralize Poison, Cure Disease, Remove Curse, Plane Shift, Divination, Commune, Raise Dead... and others not quite so useful. AND while it's standing next to you, you're receiving a double strength Protection from Evil and a Minor Globe of Invulnerability.

But the point is that you get 14 rounds of spellcasting out of it for your one seventh level spell.

ericgrau
2010-07-25, 02:55 PM
Reverse gravity hands down. Half your land-based opponents are out of the fight or severely hampered, no save. Unless you're in a theme campaign against some flying creature, get it. For the occasional flying creature, you use one of your other 15 spells, simple. Repulsion is likewise good for dividing enemies. Both make the fight far easier and from there your comrades can pick off the scattered baddies without much trouble.

Forcecage, insanity, greater teleport, delayed blast fireball are okay. Limited wish is okay, but it costs you xp every time, is limited to 6th level spells of course, and you need to keep a list of lower level spells around. I prefer something strong I can use over and over again.

Greater shadow conjuration is garbage. It's a very weak spell, I don't care how many options you get. At best it's a mild utility spell, since it's otherwise so failure prone. In general telling sorcerers to get certain low power spells because they're "versatile" needs to stop. It only gimps sorcerers. They have more spells prepared than wizards, just pick the good spells that a wizard would put on his general purpose list and get over this self-nerfing obsession. And as I've had fun playing sorcs and wish others to have the same experience, I don't like things that gimp them.

As for the single target save-or-removed spells like plane shift, I don't bother with them. At most it only gets 1 target and even then the monster might save, especially if it was strong enough to be worth killing in the first place.

the humanity
2010-07-25, 03:03 PM
Final Rebuke (instead of Finger of Death)
Forcecage
Spell Turning

aje8
2010-07-25, 03:20 PM
Elemental body
This. All kinds of immunities and you get to fly with perfect manueverability all day.... so good.

Reverse Gravity is another favorite.

Eldariel
2010-07-25, 05:57 PM
I'm not sure it was emphasized enough so let me try:
Arcane Spellsurge!

Toliudar
2010-07-25, 06:05 PM
Yup, I'd go with Arcane Spellsurge or Greater Shadow Conjuration. Unless, for some reason, you haven't already taken Dim Door or Teleport, in which case Greater Teleport is high on my list.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-25, 06:39 PM
Arcane Spellsurge!

haha yes i noticed! i'm taking it!

Kalrik
2010-07-25, 07:20 PM
Arcane Spellsurge. Where does one find this spell listed?

Eldariel
2010-07-25, 07:21 PM
Arcane Spellsurge. Where does one find this spell listed?

The book for Magic In Thy Blood: Dragon Magic.

Fax Celestis
2010-07-25, 07:55 PM
I was going to suggest protection from spells (because who doesn't enjoy a +8 untyped bonus to saving throws against spells, really?), but then I realized it's Sor/Wiz 8.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-07-25, 08:13 PM
Arcane Spellsurge!This has already been seconded and thirded and..

Well.. now it's nthed. Arcane Spellsurge is just plain vital.