PDA

View Full Version : The Paradigm Project! (Yes, and a new thread too!)

TheLonelyScribe
2010-07-25, 01:24 PM
O.K, so, I think that the paradigm project was a fun and interesting idea (for a link to the original thread, look HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138705&highlight=paradigm+project)). However, it flopped, and I think I know why: because we had no idea what we were trying to do!

We had no aim, and no mission statements other that that combat was supposed to work 'kind of like that video on youtube that I saw'.

So, this time, let's start with some mission objectives. Everybody interested in contributing, sort them into two lists, kind of vague feeling of the game objectives, and more specific rules objectives. Then will have a big vote/discussion, and decide where we want to go from there. So, here's mine:

Flavour / Feeling Suggestions:

Idea that power is based on belief, and that even the apparently mundane warrior has a spark of supernatural power waiting to be released.

Idea that PCs are normal people with extraordinary powers.

Capacity to build a genuine-feeling fantasy world, where there are transparent rules for all sorts of creatures and characters, and everyone is a living, vulnerable creature.

Flexible alignment and morality.

Rules Suggestions:

Not so much balance as everyone having something to contribute, something that no-one else in the party can do.

Numbers that translate easily and make sense (so, things like monsters having fixed XP (or whatever we want to call it) ratings rather than giving different rewards based on the level of the characters)

The same character generation method for PCs, NPCs, and monsters.

High capacity for personalisation, powers of all sorts, monsters, characters should be easily homebrewed, with simple and easy-to-follow balance rules.

Rowanomicon
2010-07-25, 06:01 PM
I like the sounds of this.
Very interesting and in line with some things I'd like in a game.
Particularly the high capacity for personalization and uniqueness, easy homebrew, and all the fluff.

TheLonelyScribe
2010-07-26, 03:33 PM
Anybody else interested? Any project objectives still to be submitted?

Rowanomicon
2010-07-26, 08:04 PM
Seems kinda lonely around here, doesn't it?

Well, I'm totally down for working with you on some sort of an overhaul of d20 and possibly a world to go along with it.
Or, if you'd like, just a new method of character creation and feats, skills, abilities, rules, etc. to go along with it.

Unfortunately my internet access is about to become a lot less frequent for the next month or two, but if you wanna get into this for the long haul then I'm in.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-07-26, 10:22 PM
Gareth and I discussed this, and have determined to let the 'digm project rest for a while until he and I can sit down and discuss it at length. This means we can't entirely endorse this thread and so, if you want to revise d20, I have to politely request that you leave the 'digm project out of it for the time being.

Also, for future reference, we would have appreciated a PM on the matter before you started a new thread for our project. Not that it's that important, but if would have been polite.

Thanks.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-07-26, 10:49 PM
@rowanomicon: im making a new system here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158516). i would welcome your help there.

lesser_minion
2010-07-27, 06:05 PM
Gareth and I discussed this, and have determined to let the 'digm project rest for a while until he and I can sit down and discuss it at length.

That's probably a good move.

If you ever do feel like getting things back up and running, feel free to drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do to help.

As a suggestion, I think you may be a little better off moving things a little closer to where you started.

As buggy, inconsistent, and informally specified as 3rd edition might be, it's still the system most people are proficient in. Even now, it has a fair shot at being the place where people will most appreciate new content. Making a new rules-heavy system requires a massive amount of work compared with what you were doing.

O.K, so, I think that the paradigm project was a fun and interesting idea (for a link to the original thread, look HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138705&highlight=paradigm+project)). However, it flopped, and I think I know why: because we had no idea what we were trying to do!

There were a few different things responsible, I think.

One of the larger issues was simply having a group of people who barely knew each other working on a project over the internet. Part of the issue is something you've basically nailed -- different people had different priorities, and different ideas.