PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Linear Guild character

chaser
2010-07-25, 03:34 PM
I was trying to figure out my favorite Linear Guild character. I like Thog but also Nale and Pompay.I Ended up chooseing Thog. What's yours?:biggrin:

Dr.Epic
2010-07-25, 03:43 PM
Thog. Though look at the competition.

hamishspence
2010-07-25, 03:46 PM
Thogs a bit like a cross between Belkar and Elan in some ways.

And somehow endearing.

TriForce
2010-07-25, 03:55 PM
thog. nobody else even comes close

devinkowalczyk
2010-07-25, 06:08 PM
THOG FTW!

he likes icecream
and boredom driven rampages

Poppy Appletree
2010-07-25, 06:25 PM
I hate to echo the echo of an echoed parrot, but Thog. Definitely Thog.

Gift Jeraff
2010-07-25, 06:54 PM
:thog: thog thog favorite character, too!

Boogastreehouse
2010-07-25, 07:34 PM
I like Nale and Sabine a lot as a team, and I think their romantic dialogue and evil scheming is great, but individually I don't like either of them as much as I like Thog.

The expendable extras are always just fleshed-out enough to be interesting, but not so developed that you really end up missing them when they get killed (though I'm very interested in seeing the return of Hilgya and the child she no doubt had with Durkon!).

XiaoTie
2010-07-25, 07:35 PM
THOG MAH BOI!

Yeah, he is the funniest

suszterpatt
2010-07-25, 08:18 PM
I like Nale and Sabine a lot as a team, and I think their romantic dialogue and evil scheming is great, but individually I don't like either of them as much as I like Thog.

The expendable extras are always just fleshed-out enough to be interesting, but not so developed that you really end up missing them when they get killed (though I'm very interested in seeing the return of Hilgya and the child she no doubt had with Durkon!).I would think there's a protective cleric spell against that sort of thing.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-25, 08:23 PM
I'm going to echo everybody else and say Thog.

WowWeird
2010-07-25, 09:23 PM
I would think there's a protective cleric spell against that sort of thing.

"But we used a condom!":smallamused:

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-25, 09:28 PM
I suggest rephrasing the question as "Who is your favourite Linear guild character apart from Thog?" (Alternatively, retitle the thread "Everyone please post the word 'Thog' and nothing else").

It's like taking a poll of "favourite planet in the solar system". EVERYONE says Mars.

Blue Ghost
2010-07-25, 09:34 PM
I suggest rephrasing the question as "Who is your favourite Linear guild character apart from Thog?" (Alternatively, retitle the thread "Everyone please post the word 'Thog' and nothing else").

It's like taking a poll of "favourite planet in the solar system". EVERYONE says Mars.

I prefer Earth myself, for the reason that it's habitable.

But yes, my favorite Linear Guild character has to be Thog as well. Besides Thog, well, Leeky Windstaff is kinda cool.

Capt Spanner
2010-07-25, 09:34 PM

Jupiter. Totally Jupiter.

As for the original post: obviously Thog is the most entertaining, but I enjoy Nale a lot too.

KenderWizard
2010-07-25, 10:32 PM
I think I'd pick Saturn, those rings are pretty awesome. But the Earth wins for habitability!

And, surprisingly, I think I like Thog the best. I'm like that, you know, always blowing against the wind. :smalltongue:

Actually, I do find it surprising how much I like Thog. Usually the idiot-not-talk-so-good characters in things annoy me after a while because they're too one-dimensional, but Thog is a really well-portrayed and endearing character.

Zevox
2010-07-25, 10:45 PM
They do :smallconfused: ? I'd go with Saturn. It's nice and colorful, and has those big rings.

Anyway, Linear Guild... yeah, Thog. But picking someone as a number 2, I'd go with Sabine.

...of course, given them and Nale are the only real constants in the Guild, there's still not much in the way of options, unless you were really impressed by one of the shorter-lived characters for some reason I guess.

Zevox

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-25, 11:04 PM
Seriously guys, it's easy to write the name of another planet and pretend it's your favourite, but you're not fooling anyone. :smalltongue:

I prefer Earth myself, for the reason that it's habitable.
Aw, c'mon. Where's your ambition?

Kish
2010-07-25, 11:19 PM
Never found Mars interesting myself, I must admit.

Jupiter's cool--all that gravity. And Saturn has its rings going for it. The only argument I can see for Mars is that some movie-makers used to presume it was inhabited, which gets a resounding "meh" from me.

dopeless
2010-07-25, 11:24 PM
I prefer Neptune and Nale

Moff Chumley
2010-07-25, 11:27 PM

I dunno, I dig Uranus...

:smallcool:

MoleMage
2010-07-25, 11:59 PM
Neptune and Leeky Windstaff!

mucat
2010-07-26, 12:10 AM
Earth because it supports life. Jupiter because it's huge, and has the most badass weather in the solar system (OK, except for the sun itself; sunspots are pretty badass too.) Saturn has rings. Neptune is just pretty. So is Venus, and to the naked eye no less. Mercury is tidally locked, and it also has the largest precession due to general relativity of anything in the solar system.

Mars? Way down on the list; I can't see why people would pick it. (Well, one thing. If we want to terraform other planets, Mars will be the best candidate. That does make it more interesting...)

EDIT: Oh, and Thog.

Reogan
2010-07-26, 12:55 AM
Yikyik, if you'll pardon my blaspheming the name of Thog. Not for his own role, but because he led to one of the greatest references in the strip. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0348.html)

And Pluto. Because it deserves to be called a planet.

Though it is true that one could survive on mars unaided for a minute or two. That's a little intriguing.

Mistalion
2010-07-26, 08:36 AM
I'm gonna go with two not-exactly answers:
Pluto, which is no longer a planet, and Hilgya, who is no longer a Guildie.

What can I say, I apparently dig evil, irresponsible dwarven women.

UnChosenOne
2010-07-26, 08:45 AM
Thog. And my favorite planet is Uranus.

FeanorFireHeart
2010-07-26, 08:57 AM
Thog!:thog:

Tono
2010-07-26, 09:01 AM
Don't like mars, tis boring, we have **** there. Jupiter is pretty badass and Uranus spins on its side. its side man.

Oh, and Sabrine isn't too bad, but ofcourse Thog wins.

fwiffo
2010-07-26, 09:05 AM
I'll go with Venus! Hey, when they name the planet after a goddess of love and fertility, I have to like it most. Plus, I hear she is kinda hot for a planet. Yeah, Venus is my girl.

Oh, and :thog:

Optimystik
2010-07-26, 09:59 AM
I liked Leeky - he did a good job of showing what a pain Druids can be to take down. If only he'd taken Natural Spell :smalltongue:

LuPuWei
2010-07-26, 11:27 AM
Thog! (Of course)

Leeky Windstaff!! (For seconds- c'mon an arboreal SuperVillain?)

And of course Yokyok was just tragic...

Oh, and Jupiter, definitely Jupiter...

Bongos
2010-07-26, 11:32 AM
Sabine and Saturn. Though Thog and Pluto are pretty cool too.

B.I.T.T.
2010-07-26, 11:49 AM
Almost a tie, actually.

Thog because...well...Thog.

But Hilgya was a very close second. She manages to show some evil tendencies and still come off as being a really nice person, which is rare. She also managed to get Durkon some much needed character development, and in a less direct way she managed to get some character development for the Monster in the Darkness and was to an even lesser extent partially responsible for the arrival of the demon roaches.

As far as favorite planet....Pluto.

Omergideon
2010-07-26, 01:53 PM
Mostly, I go with Nale. He is an intersting antagonist and the driving force behing the Linear guild.

TerrickTerran
2010-07-26, 06:49 PM
Leeky....if only for Foolish girl! I'm a druid, I have special abilities that are more powerful than your entire class!

Oh and I'm a gnome fan too.

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-26, 10:59 PM
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q184/micatiipak/comics/IGottaBeMe-1.jpg
:smallsigh: It boggles my mind that so many people feel the need to point out that their favourite planet isn't Mars. Really, when I said "everyone" did you think I actually meant EVERY SINGLE PERSON EVER, no exceptions?

As far as favorite planet....Pluto.
Not a planet. Next! :smalltongue:

Zevox
2010-07-26, 11:14 PM
:smallsigh: It boggles my mind that so many people feel the need to point out that their favourite planet isn't Mars. Really, when I said "everyone" did you think I actually meant EVERY SINGLE PERSON EVER, no exceptions?
I think it's more that we're confused why you'd even think that a majority would say Mars. You said it like it were obvious, but I can't see any reason to expect any obvious majority on a question like "what's your favorite planet?"

Zevox

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-26, 11:16 PM
If you must know, it's because when I posted that I was drunk and talking rubbish. :smallsmile:

hobbitkniver
2010-07-26, 11:24 PM
I like Thog. The others are nothing in comparison in my opinion.

yanmaodao
2010-07-26, 11:48 PM
If Mars takes down Spirit and Opportunity, I will never forgive it. (For those who may not know, Spirit and Opportunity are the two rovers that are still exploring the Martian surface to this day. They look like and are essentially less horny versions of Wall-E.)

My favorite planet is not a planet at all, but Europa, Jupiter's iciest moon.

Oh, and fwiffo, the Moon is way hotter than Venus. Venus was known as the "bearded" or "hairy star". No thanks.

Also, Thog.

Souhiro
2010-07-27, 01:49 AM
Thog, and perhaps Hylga.

suszterpatt
2010-07-27, 03:23 AM
The real question is, what is Thog's favorite planet?

edit: my guess:

:thog: thog not know what planet is

Kish
2010-07-27, 09:16 AM
:smallsigh: It boggles my mind that so many people feel the need to point out that their favourite planet isn't Mars.
It's a more interesting question than "who is your favorite member of the Linear Guild?"

Acero
2010-07-27, 09:29 AM
My favorite planet is not a planet at all, but Europa, Jupiter's iciest moon.

Also, Thog.

You can fly on Titan due to it's gravity being less then 1/10th of ours. Theres an xkcd comic about it, but i failed my search-fu check

Thog, then Leeky

Scarlet Knight
2010-07-27, 10:06 AM
:thog: Thog like Mars. Mars has Martians. Martians make funny talky pictures.

Darcy
2010-07-27, 10:41 AM

Mine's the sun! I like how it's like the king of all the other planets...

runekiri
2010-07-27, 11:01 AM
Zz'dtri!

and mars.

Sure, thog is funny, but I have a thing for both magic and scimitars.

B.I.T.T.
2010-07-27, 11:24 AM
Not a planet. Next! :smalltongue:

Pluto is a dwarf planet. If you deny that Pluto is a planet then you deny that Durkon is an demihuman and if that's true then no one will heal the Order of the Stick's wounds and the main characters will all die. Deny Pluto is a planet all you wish, but by doing so you endanger the Order of the Stick and thus endanger the entire world! :smallamused: HA!

LuPuWei
2010-07-27, 01:07 PM
If you must know, it's because when I posted that I was drunk and talking rubbish. :smallsmile:

The only way to post.

Draz74
2010-07-27, 01:29 PM
Oooh. I guess Thog has to win, just barely. He definitely has the biggest collection of best one-liners.

:thog: thog fears he will never again know the majesty of the gumdrop mountains
:thog: thog reluctantly forced to agree!

That's hard to beat. Especially when you throw in his "nale nail not-nale" speech.

But Leeky is also one of my favorite characters in the strip. Though he was Durkon's "opposite," his verbose banter with Vaarsuvius was priceless. 344 is definitely one of my favorite strips ever ... and the Order eventually taking Leeky down was one of the most satisfying battles in the whole series.

And Pluto. Because it deserves to be called a planet.

And ... Eris? Is it, too, a planet?

If Mars takes down Spirit and Opportunity, I will never forgive it. (For those who may not know, Spirit and Opportunity are the two rovers that are still exploring the Martian surface to this day. They look like and are essentially less horny versions of Wall-E.)

Meh, I'd say Spirit and Opportunity have already "won," considering their original mission was to last for 90 days and they've been going for like 3 years now. If Mars "takes them down" at this point, I'll chalk it up to "old age."

Moff Chumley
2010-07-27, 07:35 PM

It helps that I originally read the first line of your sig as part of the post... :smallbiggrin:

BridgeCity
2010-07-27, 10:09 PM
I'm not a Thog fan. I'm really bored of the cutesy child-like engine of destruction cliche. I'd have to say Leeky, because he was an interesting fight (to me at least) and his lack of sonic foresight directly led to what I feel is one of Durkon's and the entire comic's greatest moments.

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-27, 11:32 PM
It's a more interesting question than "who is your favorite member of the Linear Guild?"
Well, in that case: happy to help. :smallsmile:

BobVosh
2010-07-28, 12:14 AM
Thog, of course.
Followed by Leeky, as seems to be the second most popular.
And of course Jupiter, mainly because how people seemed to think it was dangerous close to turning into a sun despite requiring to be hit by a mass of at least 50x its current mass.

Also Pluto isn't and doesn't deserve to be a planet. No, not even then.

Rowsen
2010-07-28, 12:43 AM
I dunno, I dig Uranus...

:smallcool:

He he he.

Also, Hilgya. Partly because no-one else said it, and partly because I'm getting tired of the Dwarf sterotype.
Durkon is an exception because weather control. 10/10 for that one.

Lord Bingo
2010-07-29, 04:59 AM
I would have to go with Sabine for overall concept. I love succubi and she is a particularly good portrayal of one trying to character rather than just an entry in the monster manual.

I do agree that Thog is a great -he makes me laugh almost more than elan- and he does get a lot of limelight displaying his abundant stupidity. Nales rantings are great too but they tend to grow old fast.

brilliantlight
2010-07-29, 12:45 PM
:thog: followed by :sabine:. Thog is very funny while Sabine is funny at times and has a well developed character for an evil outsider. She is far from a mindless engine of destruction as too many GMs portray fiends.

Haarkla
2010-07-29, 05:08 PM
Sabine, she is sexy evil, and, apart from Earth, Neptune.

mucat
2010-08-03, 01:52 AM
Ah, fair enough. Now, if I were drunk when someone asked me my favorite planet, I would have said "Nemesis".

Laeranu
2010-08-03, 02:17 PM
Guys, with this many supporters we could make Thog :thog: a god, like those elven gods and (evil music please) 'The Dark One...'

like those elven gods and (evil music please) 'The Dark One...'

That probably won't make sense if you haven't read 'Start of Darkness'.

:thog::thog::thog::thog::thog::thog::thog: :thog::thog::thog::thog::thog::thog::thog: :thog::thog::thog::thog::thog::thog::thog: :thog::thog::thog::thog::thog::thog::thog:

Cizak
2010-08-03, 02:48 PM
Thog Thog Thog Thog Thog Thog Thog...

Ajadea
2010-08-04, 02:37 AM
Leeky, Sabine, and Nale. Nale's whole Cliffport scheme worked until Haley broke her 'speaking in cryptograms' thing. About 130 strips from the seen beginning until Haley snapped out of it. That was cool. Plus, he hired Leeky.

Leeky's tree thing would have worked very well (as the angel pointed out, Control Weather does not, in fact, work that way). The fact that he managed to easily deal with three members of the OOTS was just a bonus.

Sabine is such a nice change from 'mindless stabby fiend' that I can't help but like her.

StreetPizza
2010-08-04, 03:35 AM
:thog: That is all. He's just that awesome.

The_Final_Stand
2010-08-04, 04:38 AM
Nale. His overly complex plans which are doomed to failure are hilarious.

nolispe
2010-08-04, 04:46 AM
Still Thog.

ExclamationMark
2010-08-04, 12:03 PM
All the characters are pretty nice. Thog is awesome but because he's a secondary character. Anyways I love him.

137beth
2010-08-08, 10:28 AM
Thog! Thog nailed not-nale by landing not-nale, not nale, in jail.

squidbreath
2010-08-10, 07:56 AM
Sabine. She's hot and actually has an interesting personality, unlike the other fiends I've seen.

Gandariel
2010-08-10, 11:46 AM
Sabine. She's hot and actually has an interesting personality, unlike the other fiends I've seen.

.... you usually see fiends in your everyday life?
and i may add, boring fiends?

rewinn
2010-08-10, 12:11 PM

Favorite Linear Guild character:
:sabine: Her drunken conversation with V (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html) amused me completely, and suggests that her impending conflict between duty to the IPCC and to her boyfriend may have interesting ramifications.

:thog: thog not need character development. thog happy being stereotype!

Favorite Planet: The Planet In The Rift. Because it's so beautiful!

Kish
2010-08-10, 12:25 PM
IPCC
...Inter-Piend?

Acero
2010-08-10, 08:53 PM
...Inter-Piend?

I'm not a fan of the Grammar Nazis, but that was funny.

eggynack
2010-08-12, 01:01 AM
The real issue is that pretty much everyone agrees that Thog is the best member of the Linear Guild. The question of what the best planet is has a lot of room to maneuver. On topic, Thog is the best Guild member, and if the question is now "what is the best natural object in our solar system," then I'll have to go with Charon, Pluto's moon. Even before Pluto's demotion it held a certain appeal to me as the moon of the smallest planet.

Gift Jeraff
2010-08-12, 04:48 PM
Pluto and Charon hold a special place in my heart because they orbit each other. Plus, it's where the Plutonians (http://video.adultswim.com/aqua-teen-hunger-force/the-fargate.html) are from.

But Venus wins because I have a thing about the ♀ being substantially larger than the ♂.

Asthix
2010-08-13, 12:01 PM
My sig says it all. I wish I could have Leeky Windstaff as no 1. I really do... but, the sig. Sigh.

Nobody ever picks mercury. That is the only real truth in the planetary preferences discussion. (Woo Mercury!)

Deadly
2010-08-13, 01:56 PM
:nale: is number one! Seriously, I love that freak.

:thog: and :sabine: are ok, but they lack that extra bit of depth which makes Nale special. Thog is funny, but nothing more. Sabine has her moments, occasionally, but nothing more. They are both a bit like Durkon is to the Order, they occasionally shine but most of the time they're in the background.

Oh, and Venus.

hamishspence
2010-08-13, 03:21 PM
:thog: and :sabine: are ok, but they lack that extra bit of depth which makes Nale special. Thog is funny, but nothing more. Sabine has her moments, occasionally, but nothing more. They are both a bit like Durkon is to the Order, they occasionally shine but most of the time they're in the background.

Nale does complain about being upstaged by Thog though:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0341.html

Zevox
2010-08-13, 05:22 PM
Nale does complain about being upstaged by Thog though:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0341.html
Yeah, I kinda question whether I'm reading the same comic as Deadly there, as it seems to me that Thog upstages most everyone each time he shows up in a strip. Sabine might be a bit in the background compared to Nale, but not Thog.

"Depth" is also not a term I'd use to describe Nale, personally. He's not much more complicated than Xykon, and doesn't have the zaniness and humor the Lich does to make up for his simplicity. Which is why I said earlier that Sabine would be my second favorite, not Nale - she may not get quite as screen time as him, but she's usually the more interesting and funnier character of the two, when Thog isn't upstaging them.

Zevox

Deadly
2010-08-13, 05:47 PM
Yeah, I kinda question whether I'm reading the same comic as Deadly there, as it seems to me that Thog upstages most everyone each time he shows up in a strip. Sabine might be a bit in the background compared to Nale, but not Thog.

"Depth" is also not a term I'd use to describe Nale, personally. He's not much more complicated than Xykon, and doesn't have the zaniness and humor the Lich does to make up for his simplicity. Which is why I said earlier that Sabine would be my second favorite, not Nale - she may not get quite as screen time as him, but she's usually the more interesting and funnier character of the two, when Thog isn't upstaging them.

Zevox

Thog may get more time in the spotlight, but he's just there to do and say silly stuff, he never actually *does* anything. He's like a mindless puppy, cute and fun and always happy to be seen and heard, but an actual character with a background and purpose beyond that which an automaton might provide? I don't see it.

I don't know if "depth" is quite the right word for Nale, either, but it is the best I can think of. He has more... I don't know what is is. A background, a connection with the Order, his reasons for seeking revenge may be completely inane but he's not just following along mindlessly. He plots and schemes, and although his schemes are totally lame he actually does something. And he's funny, in a very different way than Thog, but not less funny in my oppinion.

Sabine has some of this right, due to her connections with those infernal things which means she's part of the main plot in a tangential way. Thog on the other hand is simply following along, he's background material all the way through even when he's in the spotligt.

Not that there's anything wrong in that, I just prefer Nale as a slightly more substantial character. Maybe that's the word... "substantial"?

Setra
2010-08-13, 08:34 PM
Nale.

Simply put, I just love him as a villain. Unlike most random narcissistic characters he's actually a threat. I love his convoluted strategies and the fact that he pulls them off just makes them all the better.

Detrinex
2010-08-13, 08:56 PM
Zz'dtri. Quiet, clear opposite, class feature scimitars, knowledge of good spells, and was only defeated by a quick-witted and legal-minded V.

Zevox
2010-08-13, 11:07 PM
Thog may get more time in the spotlight, but he's just there to do and say silly stuff, he never actually *does* anything. He's like a mindless puppy, cute and fun and always happy to be seen and heard, but an actual character with a background and purpose beyond that which an automaton might provide? I don't see it.

I don't know if "depth" is quite the right word for Nale, either, but it is the best I can think of. He has more... I don't know what is is. A background, a connection with the Order, his reasons for seeking revenge may be completely inane but he's not just following along mindlessly. He plots and schemes, and although his schemes are totally lame he actually does something. And he's funny, in a very different way than Thog, but not less funny in my oppinion.

Sabine has some of this right, due to her connections with those infernal things which means she's part of the main plot in a tangential way. Thog on the other hand is simply following along, he's background material all the way through even when he's in the spotligt.

Not that there's anything wrong in that, I just prefer Nale as a slightly more substantial character. Maybe that's the word... "substantial"?
I generally agree with your analysis, except that I don't think any of that makes Nale a more "substantial" character. He's still barely more complex than Xykon, as his motivation basically boils down to "for the evulz" and "disproportionate revenge for quasi-imagined slights." You could say he's a bit more proactive than his companions, at least insofar as the comic's plot goes, but that's about it. He's not important to the plot, nor a significant threat. And I don't think him being a bit more proactive makes him in the least bit more interesting.

And I would certainly disagree with your opinion that he isn't less funny than Thog. Most characters in the comic are less funny than Thog - Belkar is about the only exception.

Zevox

Deadly
2010-08-14, 04:46 AM
I generally agree with your analysis, except that I don't think any of that makes Nale a more "substantial" character. He's still barely more complex than Xykon, as his motivation basically boils down to "for the evulz" and "disproportionate revenge for quasi-imagined slights." You could say he's a bit more proactive than his companions, at least insofar as the comic's plot goes, but that's about it. He's not important to the plot, nor a significant threat. And I don't think him being a bit more proactive makes him in the least bit more interesting.

And I would certainly disagree with your opinion that he isn't less funny than Thog. Most characters in the comic are less funny than Thog - Belkar is about the only exception.

Zevox

If we talk strictly about who I like best of the Linear Guild, Nale wins for the reasons I've outlined above. How he compares to other villains like Xykon is mostly irrelevant in this discussion. Regardless, Xykon may be the main baddie, and he's totally the most badass villain in the story, but Nale is awesome in his own strange way and I wouldn't want to pick one over the other. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Also, I actually do see him as a significant threat. Despite the impression he gives, the plans he actually sets into motion are in no way silly (needlessly complicated, but not silly), and they have worked quite well so far. Sure he's lost every time in the end, but he does real harm in the process, and I suspect he'll get to do a lot more harm in the future.

As for his importance to the plot, now that he knows about the gate and with those fiends behind the scenes, who knows what part he'll play? Could be pretty significant.

And I guess I'm just not so greatly impressed by Thog's silly antics. Sure he's funny, but not THAT funny. I find many other characters at least as funny as Thog, in their own ways.

I guess we'll just have to disagree on this. It's all a matter of taste, in the end :)

137beth
2010-08-14, 05:21 PM
but he does real harm in the process,

When he attacked Haley while pretending to be Elan, he actually helped the order of the stick by keeping them near Soon's gate in time for Xykon's attack:smalltongue:

apenpaap
2010-08-14, 05:36 PM
Another vote for Thog. Nale comes next.
Also, Neptune is my favourite planet. It's a lovely shade of blue, and has the fastest winds and coldest temperatures in the solar system. Also a really weird moon.

MartytheBioGuy
2010-08-14, 05:48 PM
NALE. :nale: I've always been a fan of his storytelling-savvy style. And his hilariously complicated plans. I like Nale.

And Saturn. When I was afraid of the dark as a kid, I had a glow-in-the-dark Saturn that "protected" me. And that's awesome.

Zerg Cookie
2010-08-15, 01:59 AM
My signature speaks for itself

Edit: btw, Earth. sorry folks, I'm a fan of habitable atmospheres :smalltongue:

Deadly
2010-08-15, 04:51 AM
When he attacked Haley while pretending to be Elan, he actually helped the order of the stick by keeping them near Soon's gate in time for Xykon's attack:smalltongue:

You have a point there. In fact, the more I think about it, the more it seems like everything he does somehow helps the Order in the end.

His schemes directly lead to their shortcut to Xykon back in the dungeons, to their getting to know Celia (I suppose some would say that was a bad thing, but I always liked Celia), to Haley getting her voice back, to her and Elan acknowledging their love for each other, to Elan becoming a slightly more competent character, to them being around for the Azure City battle as you said, and now - indirectly - to Elan finding his father which appears to lead them directly back to the main plot where before they were completely lost in the desert.

So I guess I'll take that back and say that Nale actually does GOOD :smalleek: Maybe he's cursed, so that everything he does, while intended to be evil, is actually good. Maybe he's the true hero of the story :smalltongue: Hmm, does that mean Elan actually does evil, while trying to do good?

Kish
2010-08-15, 07:28 AM
Maybe he's cursed, so that everything he does, while intended to be evil, is actually good.
That would, I think, be news to all the people he murdered in Cliffport.

Querzis
2010-08-15, 08:51 AM
Nale. Just look at my sig.

But more importantly, the core Linear Guild. I like Nale, Sabine and Thog as individual characters but what make them really awesome is their interactions together. Nale and Thog are always hilarious together, most of the funniest strip in this comic were strips where they are together and Nale and Sabine manage to be cute and creepy at the same time, I just love their relationship. They are like a big, evil family.

Basically, what I'm saying here is that I want my Linear Guild. Not just Nale, Sabine or Thog but the three of them because they much more awesome when they are together then when they are alone.

Oh and by the way, to the one who said they are not a threat, are you serious? Must I really remind you that Nale was defeated the first time only thanks to a prophecy and a natural 20 by Haley? Or that his second scheme would have worked if Thog had not broke Elan out of prison? The Linear Guild has been closer to exterminating the Order then Xykon was!

Kish
2010-08-15, 09:13 AM
Or that his second scheme would have worked if Thog had not broke Elan out of prison?
Why are you assuming that?

As far as I can tell, if Thog and Elan had stayed in Cliffport and nothing else had changed, Nale would have killed Haley. Meanwhile, Durkon and Vaarsuvius would have subdued Belkar. What Nale would have done then, we don't know, but you're taking a lot for granted in assuming it would lead to the rest of the Order dying. (I'm inclined to think that a more likely scenario involves everyone but Haley still being alive when the Charm Person on Belkar wears off and he identifies "Elan" as Nale...)

In practice, if Thog and Elan had stayed in Cliffport, the Oracle's earlier answer to Haley would have been different, and Haley would not have suppressed her natural paranoia when Nale approached her--and, probably, he would have been unmasked right then.

Querzis
2010-08-15, 10:40 AM
In practice, if Thog and Elan had stayed in Cliffport, the Oracle's earlier answer to Haley would have been different, and Haley would not have suppressed her natural paranoia when Nale approached her--and, probably, he would have been unmasked right then.

Ok and I'm the one assuming stuff? Haley didnt even take the Oracle prophecy into consideration when she accepted Nale offer. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0382.html

As far as I can tell, if Thog and Elan had stayed in Cliffport and nothing else had changed, Nale would have killed Haley. Meanwhile, Durkon and Vaarsuvius would have subdued Belkar. What Nale would have done then, we don't know, but you're taking a lot for granted in assuming it would lead to the rest of the Order dying. (I'm inclined to think that a more likely scenario involves everyone but Haley still being alive when the Charm Person on Belkar wears off and he identifies "Elan" as Nale...)

Considering the fact that, even if Elan woudnt have broken out of prison, Sabine would still have went to see Nale and V and Durkon would still have went to Haley room (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0397.html), it actually depends pretty much entirely on if you think V and Durkon could have defeated Belkar, Nale and Sabine. Durkon and V are pretty powerful so it would have been perfectly possible for them to beat the Linear Guild but it really depends on nothing else and, even if they would have done that, Elan would still be in prison in Cliffport when Xykon would have suddenly showed up with his army in front of Azure city.

hamishspence
2010-08-15, 11:11 AM
Do we need Haley's mind to repeat the Oracle's words to herself before she chooses to put aside her suspicions, for us to be able to suspect that the Oracle's prophesy played a part in her decision?

Here:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0568.html

Haley does state that the Oracle's prophesy was fulfilled for her. However, that may have been hindsight.

rewinn
2010-08-15, 11:59 AM
...Inter-Piend?

Heh. There's a real-world IPCC that's pretty important, which my typing fingers confuse with the stick-world IFCC. Joke's on me!

Ninjaman
2010-08-19, 01:43 PM
Zz'dtri

Heīs cool, heīs a wizard, Dual wield scimitars, And CHEAT. The last thing should be done more often.

And even though it ainīt a planet: Zedna

Nimrod's Son
2010-08-20, 12:50 AM
I know it's not strictly a planet, much less a Linear Guild character, but my favourite thing currently moving through the sky is this awesome dragonfly I just saw by my pond. It seemed close enough to bring up, y'know.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-08-20, 09:35 PM
:thog: :thog: :thog: THOG :thog: :thog: :thog:

Setra
2010-08-21, 05:05 AM
I know it's not strictly a planet, much less a Linear Guild character, but my favourite thing currently moving through the sky is this awesome dragonfly I just saw by my pond. It seemed close enough to bring up, y'know.
I don't get it :smallconfused:

KoboldRevenge
2010-08-21, 04:58 PM
Yik Yik for being Belkar in Kobold form.
and Mustafar just because it's awesome and has lava.

Procyonpi
2010-08-23, 03:12 PM
Thog. There're really no competition.

Manga Maniac
2010-08-25, 01:17 PM
:nale:: Fools, everyone knows I, Nale, am the best one! My ingenious plans...
:thog:: thog sad nale dont like thog
:nale:: There, there, Thog, I never said that.
:thog:: thog want ice cream!!! and puppies!!!!!

I prefer Nale the best, btw, with Thog as a close second.

Ninjaman
2010-08-26, 01:39 PM
:nale:: Fools, everyone knows I, Nale, am the best one! My ingenious plans...
:thog:: thog sad nale dont like thog
:nale:: There, there, Thog, I never said that.
:thog:: thog want ice cream!!! and puppies!!!!!

I prefer Nale the best, btw, with Thog as a close second.

He, Funny!

PsychoticPanda
2010-09-11, 08:08 AM
I love thog, it is always a good laugh we he upstages nale!

:smallbiggrin: