PDA

View Full Version : How the wizard teleported the entire Order

Flame of Anor
2010-07-25, 04:11 PM
Okay, how about this: the blue bird-food wizard wasn't 18th level, and he didn't have a house-rule increasing the teleport capacity--instead, he was casting an empowered teleport! The number of people carried by teleport is a "variable, numeric effect", after all. The wizard could be 13th level (four passengers), prepare empowered teleport in a 7th-level slot (six passengers), and bingo!

...Apologies if this has already been discussed.

Eurus
2010-07-25, 04:21 PM
I'm pretty sure "variable" means it's something you have to roll for. It doesn't increase the number of rays that a Scorching Ray conjures, or the duration (which, by your definition, is also a "variable numeric effect") of spells. It's possible that he just had some special teleport-focused prestige class, I can think of at least one.

Flame of Anor
2010-07-25, 04:44 PM
I'm pretty sure "variable" means it's something you have to roll for. It doesn't increase the number of rays that a Scorching Ray conjures, or the duration (which, by your definition, is also a "variable numeric effect") of spells. It's possible that he just had some special teleport-focused prestige class, I can think of at least one.

I'll be the first to admit it's a stretch, but I'm not certain it's a completely implausible stretch.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-25, 04:48 PM
Wouldn't be the first time Rich has gone against D&D rules for plot sake.

Boogastreehouse
2010-07-25, 04:58 PM
Actually, he was able to do it because a wizard did it...

Boogastreehouse
2010-07-25, 05:05 PM
Wouldn't be the first time Rich has gone against D&D rules for plot sake.

"How exactly do your future visions work, then?"

"Pixie dust."

"Actually, I'm pretty familiar with pixies, and I don't think—"

"Kobold dust"

"Oh."

derfenrirwolv
2010-07-25, 06:18 PM
1) There's a prestige class that ups the amount of people and material you can bring with you.

2) Elan and belkars mental stats are so low that they registered as objects. This is why the spell went wonky on the way back, nale registered as a person.

Red XIV
2010-07-25, 06:36 PM
2) Elan and belkars mental stats are so low that they registered as objects. This is why the spell went wonky on the way back, nale registered as a person.
I admit it, I laughed at this.

mucat
2010-07-25, 07:53 PM
The guy was a pretty good wizard but he couldn't count worth a damn.

:roy:: "You know, if he had a better head for numbers, he'd be...a worse wizard, actually."

suszterpatt
2010-07-25, 08:16 PM
Everyone just "forgot" to read the person limit part of the spell description because they really wanted to get to Cliffport?

MoleMage
2010-07-25, 08:35 PM
I think maybe the Teleport spell just has different limits. Ganji was able to Teleport using a scroll with himself, three medium creatures, and a large creature which counts as two mediums. Caster level 15. Scrolls are traditionally at the minimum caster level of a spell (not always admittedly), which for Teleport is 9th, allowing three medium or smaller, or one large and one medium or smaller, passengers.

Ancalagon
2010-07-26, 01:23 AM
They exchanged the polarity of the main deflector dish and re-routed the tachyon flux over the outer receiver. D'uh!

Harperfan7
2010-07-26, 01:33 AM
Mass Teleport.

I'm willing to bet they all weighed less than 1,300lbs.

factotum
2010-07-26, 02:02 AM
I think it's far more likely that the limitations of Teleport are not as crippling in the OotS-verse. Look at V's Epic Teleport, for example--he must have transported thousands of tons of ships, material and people across thousands of miles when he did that, and that's pushing it even for Epic spells if you go by RAW.

Darthteej
2010-07-26, 04:13 AM
I think it's far more likely that the limitations of Teleport are not as crippling in the OotS-verse. Look at V's Epic Teleport, for example--he must have transported thousands of tons of ships, material and people across thousands of miles when he did that, and that's pushing it even for Epic spells if you go by RAW.

So is Familicide.

There's a reason that it's ultimate arcane power.

factotum
2010-07-26, 06:49 AM
Both the Epic Teleport and Familicide were spells developed by one or other of V's soul splices, so they must have been able to cast those spells on their own or they wouldn't have bothered!

Optimystik
2010-07-26, 08:59 AM

We have a winner

King of Nowhere
2010-07-26, 01:25 PM
The first chance is that Rich houseruled the teleport a bit to avoid that kind of nuisance.

The second chance is that he's using the way I use (and I suppose I'm not the only one) to teleport large parties: put people in a bag of holding (they have air for ten minutes), teleport yourself with the bag, and get the people out of it. Shoeing that all in a cominc would be troublesome and take precious space, so he just avoided showing it.

The third chance is that Rich didn't think of it.

Flame of Anor
2010-07-26, 01:30 PM
They exchanged the polarity of the main deflector dish and re-routed the tachyon flux over the outer receiver. D'uh!

"And I say,
Bounce the graviton particle beam
Off the main deflector dish
That's the way we do things, lad,
We're making s**t up as we wish.
The Klingons and the Romulans
Pose no threat to us--
'Cause if we find we're in a bind
We just make some s**t up!"

We have a winner

Concur. :smallbiggrin:

Souhiro
2010-07-27, 02:14 AM
Both the Epic Teleport and Familicide were spells developed by one or other of V's soul splices, so they must have been able to cast those spells on their own or they wouldn't have bothered!

Well, there are millions, billions of souls in hell. Among them there are many arcane spellcasters, and they surely selected only the best of them. So you can easily put Haertha and family at Lvl-50, 60...

I pointed it many time ago. And suggested that metamagic can do it (Extend, Empower, Enlarge...) But everyone of them skyrocketeed the levels of the blue wizard.

But he said in the FAQ: When he's doing the strips: Jokes > Plot > Rules.

If Rich noticed this, I think that he could use that uber-wizard in future jokes! He say that he would change the story if anybody discovers something too soon (And he's able to change it without messing around, I suppose) But since it isn't story but jokes...

Boogastreehouse
2010-07-27, 04:40 AM
Well, there are millions, billions of souls in hell. Among them there are many arcane spellcasters, and they surely selected only the best of them. So you can easily put Haertha and family at Lvl-50, 60...

Actually, I get the impression that Rich envisions the power-level of his world capping a bit lower than that. I doubt that any of the epic characters in his world are even above 30th level.

In OotS World I imagine that being epic is really rare, and being in the mid-to-high-twenties (as I believe Xykon, the Order of the Scribble, Gononron, Haera, and Jephton to be) is a really really big deal.

Kobold-Bard
2010-07-27, 04:57 AM

It's possible that he just had some special teleport-focused prestige class, I can think of at least one.

Care to share?

Boogastreehouse
2010-07-27, 05:53 AM
Care to share?

I expect he's referring to the Wayfarer Guide, Complete Arcane P.65

kusje
2010-07-27, 06:03 AM
Actually, I get the impression that Rich envisions the power-level of his world capping a bit lower than that. I doubt that any of the epic characters in his world are even above 30th level.

In OotS World I imagine that being epic is really rare, and being in the mid-to-high-twenties (as I believe Xykon, the Order of the Scribble, Gononron, Haera, and Jephton to be) is a really really big deal.

Maybe not. Ganonron is stated as "a conjurer who teleported vast armies to conquer world after world". Some POSSIBLE(might have been a lie) implications:

1. Ganonron seems to have possess quite a bit more power than Xykon (His title, Terror of a thousand planes seems to confirm this)
2. There is more than one world
3. Ganonron has conquered more than one world

If Xykon is mid 20s, then Gononron and Haerta are definitely at least in their 30s for their descriptions to even be close to the truth. Haerta is also stated to be more powerful than Gononron by "a fair bit".

Souhiro
2010-07-27, 06:05 AM

Man, I was talking about Haertha and co. as the best Evil Spellcasters in HISTORY and from all the planes of the OotS-verse. So I won't mind to enumerate what powers they have. Legends grow short for them! And then just have them united, as only one super-being. That is really the ultimate arcane power. A power WAY better than the power the three best -evil- spellcasters of the existence had alone!

I expect he's referring to the Wayfarer Guide, Complete Arcane P.65

¿Prestige classes? Those are for Munchkins! (As Elan said... somewhere)

Boogastreehouse
2010-07-27, 06:21 AM
Maybe not. Ganonron is stated as "a conjurer who teleported vast armies to conquer world after world". Some POSSIBLE(might have been a lie) implications:

1. Ganonron seems to have possess quite a bit more power than Xykon (His title, Terror of a thousand planes seems to confirm this)
2. There is more than one world
3. Ganonron has conquered more than one world

If Xykon is mid 20s, then Gononron and Haerta are definitely at least in their 30s for their descriptions to even be close to the truth. Haerta is also stated to be more powerful than Gononron by "a fair bit".

Hmmm, you make a good point, but I think I find it easier to believe that Xykon could hold his own against the two remaining splices if they were at least close to his level. If Ganonron was close to Xykon in power, but focused most of his epic abilities toward teleportation effects, he could still be a "terror," because he'd be dumping whole armies on unsuspecting people's doorsteps instead of marching them around like Xykon did.

¿Prestige classes? Those are for Munchkins! (As Elan said... somewhere)

Some are definitely more balanced than others, I'll agree with you there.

Ancalagon
2010-07-27, 06:46 AM
Prestige classes? Those are for Munchkins! (As Elan said... somewhere)

Actually... I think most PrCs are neither very interesting nor powerful. There are just a few pretty unbalanced ones in some non-core sourcebooks which create the bad reputation of PrCs.

Kish
2010-07-27, 09:39 AM
So you can easily put Haertha and family at Lvl-50, 60...

I find it fairly unlikely that Rich's "I don't know if there are any seventeenth-level clerics in the world" world is meant to dwarf the Forgotten Realms for power-glut.

factotum
2010-07-27, 12:26 PM

The implication to ME is that it was Ganonron's armies who did all the work of conquest, though--Ganonron just teleported them there and pointed them at the opposition. And how much of a power level that gives Ganonron is kind of the whole point of this thread, since it just tells us that he's really good at teleporting, not what level that makes him!

the_tick_rules
2010-07-28, 11:04 AM
The power of plot.

Mawhrin Skel
2010-07-28, 03:57 PM
Man, I was talking about Haertha and co. as the best Evil Spellcasters in HISTORY

They're the most powerful to die and go to the evil planes. There could be more powerful casters who either
a) weren't evil
b) didn't die (see Xykon's "stay in the game" monologue)

Jephton lost his epic spell slots from an energy drain.

Itous
2010-07-28, 04:09 PM
don't you think it was a joke, most people go "OMG I CAN CAST TELEPORT LES GET OUT OF HERE!" and teleport the whole party away, most people don't bother reading the teleport spell and how it works....

although if your clever about it you can teleport as many as you can carry people

grab a HHH (one of those havars handy havisack things)

research a varient of the 1st level spell feather fall and call it "Feather" this works like feather fall except for you don't have to be falling, the spell canceles out all your weight and weight carried and reduces it down to 1lb

1000 gp and 1 weeks research.

the HHH can hold 30 cubic feet, thats a total of 54 people standing on peoples shoulders not counting gaps and space.

you would first cast this on the person so when they squeezed in. It can be done with a reduce person spell, investing in a wand is MUCH better for this or research a spell called "Enlarge Object, yes making the total volume of space inside much greater how ever you only want to fill it to the point of when it shrinks other wise you get a broken bag.

so feather the people, enlarge the item, they get into the HHH you then cast feather again on the HHH throw it over your shoulder and BOOM! teleport.

the people inside can stand on each others shoulders and not even bat an eyelid, the first set of people on shoulders can easily hold shoulders with each other and the people above can do the same thus keeping them stable.

ok if they fall over, no harm done, they end up in a bit of a dog pile, whoops, no matter not like thier going to break each others necks or anything.

they wizard arrives on the other side enlarges the item once more. and let them out, although if a reduce person spell and a enlarge object spell lasts long enough you could essentially carry 108 humans all of which have been shrunk to small size or 216 gnomes or halflings who have been reduced to a tiny size, in a size large HHH.

and remember thats just with a HHH, infact it makes a good cause for escape routes for kings and such, hide in a backpack, get teleported away somewhere maybe to a dragon who owes the king a favor.

have fun with those party people, must be off now.

Itous

Popertop
2010-07-29, 12:08 AM
The power of plot.

this.

teleport is as strong as the plot needs it to be.

Kaeso
2010-08-10, 06:46 AM
The implication to ME is that it was Ganonron's armies who did all the work of conquest, though--Ganonron just teleported them there and pointed them at the opposition. And how much of a power level that gives Ganonron is kind of the whole point of this thread, since it just tells us that he's really good at teleporting, not what level that makes him!

But being able to command a vast army that is able to conquer an entire plane (not just a small nation, mind you) requires quite some power. I assume he assembled his armies by either binding demons (planar binding, the summon chain etc. are conjuration spells) or by charming/dominating very powerful monsters.

factotum
2010-08-10, 10:13 AM
Being able to command a vast army just requires leadership, not power. Shojo was a 14th level Aristocrat with no magical abilities and little in the way of personal combat ability, but he nonetheless commanded the Azure City army. Since we have no idea of Ganonron's background he could have got his initial army from a similar source (e.g. hereditary ruler of a kingdom or something like that). Once he started conquering worlds he'd always find plenty of locals willing to join up for the sake of a bit of plunder!

Gandariel
2010-08-10, 11:56 AM
and so you think Ganonron, the Terror of a Thousand Planes reached epic levels by... teleporting?
he was obviously very powerful on his onw anyway...

Harperfan7
2010-08-10, 12:21 PM
Mass Teleport (MoF).

Marnath
2010-08-10, 12:27 PM
Mass Teleport (MoF).

We heard you the first time..... :smallconfused:

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-08-10, 07:37 PM
Being able to command a vast army just requires leadership, not power. Shojo was a 14th level Aristocrat with no magical abilities and little in the way of personal combat ability, but he nonetheless commanded the Azure City army.
Which didn’t stand a chance against the massive hobgoblin army commanded by the far more powerful Redcloak.

Once he started conquering worlds he'd always find plenty of locals willing to join up for the sake of a bit of plunder!
And far more willing to fight the invaders. If growing an army to conquer the world was that easy, the entire world would already be conquered.

ericgrau
2010-08-10, 11:03 PM
Because using 3 teleports each way would have consumed too many comic panels.

TheWerdna
2010-08-11, 12:47 AM
There is one thing everyone forgets about D&D... the DM (or in this case the author) can alter any-rule as-long as it has explained the the players. The Rules are more guidelines, the DM has the power to decide which they want to use and which they don't

factotum
2010-08-11, 01:47 AM
Which didn’t stand a chance against the massive hobgoblin army commanded by the far more powerful Redcloak.

Actually, they stood a fairly good chance--the only thing that arguably swung the battle in Redcloak's favour was his early breaching of the walls using the Titanium Elementals. It's true Redcloak personally summoned those creatures, but he didn't have to be leader of the army to do that! History is littered with situations where people who are maybe personally weak have caused much chaos due to being charismatic enough to pull others along with them--I won't name names because that would start bringing real-world politics into the thread, and that's a no-no round here.

137beth
2010-08-13, 03:35 PM
Quite clever, though the wizard that teleported them would have to be a high enough level to cast all of those spells in a row. Or the DM could have changed the maximum number of people who can be teleported in order to accommodate a large party.

don't you think it was a joke, most people go "OMG I CAN CAST TELEPORT LES GET OUT OF HERE!" and teleport the whole party away, most people don't bother reading the teleport spell and how it works....

although if your clever about it you can teleport as many as you can carry people

grab a HHH (one of those havars handy havisack things)

research a varient of the 1st level spell feather fall and call it "Feather" this works like feather fall except for you don't have to be falling, the spell canceles out all your weight and weight carried and reduces it down to 1lb

1000 gp and 1 weeks research.

the HHH can hold 30 cubic feet, thats a total of 54 people standing on peoples shoulders not counting gaps and space.

you would first cast this on the person so when they squeezed in. It can be done with a reduce person spell, investing in a wand is MUCH better for this or research a spell called "Enlarge Object, yes making the total volume of space inside much greater how ever you only want to fill it to the point of when it shrinks other wise you get a broken bag.

so feather the people, enlarge the item, they get into the HHH you then cast feather again on the HHH throw it over your shoulder and BOOM! teleport.

the people inside can stand on each others shoulders and not even bat an eyelid, the first set of people on shoulders can easily hold shoulders with each other and the people above can do the same thus keeping them stable.

ok if they fall over, no harm done, they end up in a bit of a dog pile, whoops, no matter not like thier going to break each others necks or anything.

they wizard arrives on the other side enlarges the item once more. and let them out, although if a reduce person spell and a enlarge object spell lasts long enough you could essentially carry 108 humans all of which have been shrunk to small size or 216 gnomes or halflings who have been reduced to a tiny size, in a size large HHH.

and remember thats just with a HHH, infact it makes a good cause for escape routes for kings and such, hide in a backpack, get teleported away somewhere maybe to a dragon who owes the king a favor.

have fun with those party people, must be off now.

Itous

shadowkiller
2010-08-13, 05:51 PM
I figured the reason was it that it was magic.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-08-15, 05:30 AM

he didnt recruit that army. he killed some mook and the leader gave them to him to spare his life

whitelaughter
2010-08-15, 05:53 AM
Actually, he was able to do it because a wizard did it...
awesome :smallsmile:

The_Admiral
2010-08-15, 07:44 AM
"And I say,
Bounce the graviton particle beam
Off the main deflector dish
That's the way we do things, lad,
We're making s**t up as we wish.
The Klingons and the Romulans
Pose no threat to us--
'Cause if we find we're in a bind
We just make some s**t up!"