PDA

View Full Version : What is YOUR Zanpakutō

Innis Cabal
2010-07-25, 08:11 PM
To mark the passing of a good friend and poster, Horngeek. I ask the title question. If you were a shinigami (as in Bleach) what would your Zanpaktou be?

13_CBS
2010-07-25, 08:15 PM
>.>

<.<

Well... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8780485&postcount=66 )

Frozen_Feet
2010-07-25, 08:26 PM
You make it sound like HG is dead or something. That's not strictly the situation, is it now? :smalltongue:

I have, what, six zanpakutos desgined for my roleplaying characters? Pffft. If someone wants to take a look at those, they can look at my sig.

Now, if I had a zanpakuto, it'd be a western longsword that inexlicably turns into an assault rifle with a bayonet, and the further into a whopping bazoooka a la Soi Fon. It would, of course, have bottomless magazines and dozens of different ammo types stored. It's spirit would obviously look like my former Drill Sergeant, God bless her. Aaand I think I'd shamelessly steal both name and release command from Gin. :smalltongue:

Innis Cabal
2010-07-25, 08:28 PM
Of course not. But the thread he made so long ago brought alot of people happiness. I thought I'd do something to honor and remember his contributions to the playground.

Setra
2010-07-25, 08:40 PM
Shikai would be a rapier with the ability to hurt people by attacking their shadows.

Bankai would be a main gauche capable of controlling wind.

You can use both at the same time and the names would be something like 'Dark Deception' and 'Black Wind'.

LurkerInPlayground
2010-07-25, 08:51 PM
Myself.

Okay. A gun. But one that won't make me lose my hearing. Guns are loud.

Xallace
2010-07-25, 09:03 PM
Oh, there was a random generator for this! I think mine was called "Viridian Void Chaos" and was sealed into a walking cane. It turned into an oversized ivory-and-green hurlbat that could discharge electricity and turn into a cloud of sparks.

How that is representative of my soul I have no idea, but I'm OK with it.

Haruki-kun
2010-07-25, 09:24 PM
Can't remember what it did, but it's name was Mugetsu (meaning: No Moon).

It's also the name of Haruki's Sword.

Prime32
2010-07-25, 09:40 PM
How that is representative of my soul I have no idea, but I'm OK with it.You expected a random generator to be meaningful? :smallconfused:

Optimystik
2010-07-25, 10:11 PM
You expected a random generator to be meaningful? :smallconfused:

Hey, it works for fortune cookies :smallwink:
(and horoscopes)

Xallace
2010-07-25, 10:14 PM
You expected a random generator to be meaningful? :smallconfused:

Hah, no, no. Of course not! ...Maybe.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-26, 12:38 AM
Wait, what happened to Horngeek?

Innis Cabal
2010-07-26, 01:09 AM
He left the playground.

Coidzor
2010-07-26, 01:12 AM
This reminds me. I need to watch enough Bleach to figure out what ya'll are talking about, haha.

Fenrazer
2010-07-26, 01:36 AM
My Zanpakto...

Dathian

The Shikai would be five small discs of energy, which resemble black metal. not reishi, but actual electrons. I'd be able to modify the friction, density, momentum, mass and other properties reliant on energy, such as ferromagnetics or conductivity.

The Bankai, Raedra, is similar, only the metal would cover my body entirely. The eyes will be perfect two inch white discs.

Revlid
2010-07-26, 02:43 AM
He left the playground.
W-what? Why? I liked that guy!

Gah. In his honour, I shall not rehash an old zanpaktou. Instead, I shall make a new one!

Zanpaktou Name: Babuul
Release Command: Bubble, Babuul!
Shikai: Babuul's released form is a colourless, perfectly reflective bubble, which can grow or shrink in size depending on how much spiritual energy its wielder puts into it. It hovers above the ground at its wielder's direction. It can absorb spiritual energy, making it near-immune to non-elemental kido, or Quincy-arrows - however, doing so powers its growth, making it unwieldy. This form leaves the wielder effectively unarmed, making the use of a spare asauchi-sword or kido necessary.
Bankai: Cloud Somersault Century-Babuul
The spiritual energy being pumped into Babuul forces it to grow to massive proportions, before splitting off into a hundred-odd smaller bubbles. Each of these is controlled by the wielder, but may act semi-independently. They each have the same properties as the Shikai form, but may draw spiritual energy from their surroundings, and can channel spiritual energy between eachother, creating different effects depending on the formation of the bubbles involved. Increasing the number of bubbles involved past the minimum increases the power of the formation.
Cirrus- Requires 4 Bubbles, minimum. The bubbles involved form a three-pointed pyramid. Spiritual energy is channeled to its point, creating a cutting beam.
Lenticular- Requires 6 Bubbles, minimum. The bubbles involved form a hexagon. The spiritual energy being channeled through them creates a solid wall of spirit-particles, which blocks attacks. The wielder may also turn this shield horizontal, allowing him to use it as a hovering platform.
Cumulus- Requires 8 Bubbles, minimum. The bubbles form a cube around the opponent, channeling spiritual energy into a glowing cage that traps him.
Actinoform - Requires 12 Bubbles, minimum. The bubbles surround the enemy in a ring, and begin drawing spiritual power from the world around them. In an environment not fully saturated with spirit-power, they will quickly begin draining the opponent's energy.
Nimbus- Requires 42 Bubbles, minimum. The bubbles float into the sky, and form a revolving vortex-cylinder. Spiritual energy is channeled through it, bouncing off the insides to create a powerful air-to-surface blast.
Stratus- Requires 84 Bubbles, minimum. The bubbles shrink and split, reducing themselves to such a size that they are barely visible and can hardly be felt. They surround the enemy, invisibly resisting and slowing his movements. Alternately, they may do the opposite for the wielder, assisting his.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-26, 02:51 AM
Can I have a ressurecion (Or however you spell it) that turns me into a dragon instead of a bankai? It'd just be so much more fun!

Revlid
2010-07-26, 02:57 AM
Can I have a ressurecion (Or however you spell it) that turns me into a dragon instead of a bankai? It'd just be so much more fun!
I have no authority here! So yes.

Frozen_Feet
2010-07-26, 05:53 AM

Yes.

Just specify what kind of a dragon, as to differentiate yourself from all other people who might want to be draconic Arrancars. :smallwink:

A slight recap:

Zanpakuto refers to spiritual weapons of Shinigami and Arrancar.

A Shinigami Zanpakuto has three possible states: sealed form (usually a sword of some kind), Shikai (which can be about anything) and Bankai (which can be anything ON STEROIDS). It is also possible for a Shinigami to have a permanent release Zanpakuto, like Ichigo does - such a sword is perpetually in Shikai state. Shinigami access these releases, and new powers for them, through physical and spiritual growth.

Each Shinigami Zanpakuto has a spirit as well, a personification of the wielder's killer instinct and powers. It can look pretty much like anything. Shikai is reached by communing with Zanpakuto's spirit, while Bankai is achieved by beating the spirit's physical manifestation in a duel. Seemingly, a spirit can change shape depending on what level of release is being used.

An Arrancar Zanpakuto has two possible states: sealed and released. A sealed Arrancar Zanpakuto can look pretty much like anything, though swords are still most common. When an Arrancar releases his Zanpakuto, he assimilates the blade and enters a state called Resurreccion, physically returning to the less human form they had as a Hollow. Arrancars can achieve another release, called Segunda Etapa, like Ulquiorra did, but it doesn't really have anything to do with their Zanpakuto, per se, as the blade is usually non-existent at that point. All Arrancars instinctively know how to enter Resurreccion; significance of Segunda Etapa and means to achieve it are unknown.

Arrancar Zanpakuto do not have spirits.

Then, we have Vizards, who are Shinigami tainted with Hollow powers. In contrast to Arrancar who are Hollows who tear their mask away, Vizards are Shinigami who manifest a Hollow mask and put it on. In addition to Shikai and Bankai, they can also achieve Resurreccion, like Arrancars. They also have an additional, hostile spirit within them, known as Inner Hollow.

If none of these tickle your fancy, then there are of course Quincies and their bows, Bounts and their doll, and fancy mortal Mediums with fancy Medium powers. :smallcool:

Mystic Muse
2010-07-26, 05:55 AM
Okay then. To differentiate myself I am a Half Silver half lava dragon. Hey, it could work!

Also, I enjoy plain bacon cheeseburgers with fries and milkshakes.:smalltongue:

Revlid
2010-07-26, 07:09 AM
*words words words*
Dohohohohohoho.
Way ahead of you, my friend. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7583621&postcount=419)
Way ahead. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7585999&postcount=441)

If none of these tickle your fancy, then there are of course Quincies and their bows, Bounts and their doll, and fancy mortal Mediums with fancy Medium powers. :smallcool:
This is true, although Quincies leave something to be desired with regards to customisation.

Obrysii
2010-07-26, 07:22 AM
Don't know a name for it, but mine would be:

Sealed Form: A small dagger or short-sword with an overly large sword guard.

Shikai: Zanpakuto transforms into a large tower-shield, capable of blocking nearly any blast. May be able to absorb blasts and fire them back ala the mirror shield. Can extend a wall of force barrer around a small area.

Bankai The shield changes into armor which covers me head-to-foot, providing increased speed, strength, and significant durability increases.

Frozen_Feet
2010-07-26, 07:32 AM
Dohohohohohoho.
Way ahead of you, my friend. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7583621&postcount=419)
Way ahead. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7585999&postcount=441)

This is true, although Quincies leave something to be desired with regards to customisation.

I made a similar write-up for the new Bleach ITP game - if you're interested in comparing them, you can take a look at the first page of the OOC. :smallsmile: There are some differences, because I made do with a (possibly) non-canon assumption that Gillian state fuses souls permanently.

Thrawn183
2010-07-26, 10:31 AM
Mini-sledge Hammer.
Power: hit things harder.
Bankai: Sledge Hammer
Power: hit things moar harder.

Marillion
2010-07-26, 11:05 AM
A Rat Morning Star, of course (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=223)

Sinfonian
2010-07-26, 04:38 PM
I'd have to cop out and take the Zaraki way on this one: where the sword doesn't matter and you win by sheer concentrated amount of awesome.

Edit: Speaking of which, you can replace the word "reiatsu" most times in the series with "awesome" and still have things make nearly the same degree of sense. Just a personal opinion on that one.

Math_Mage
2010-07-26, 04:42 PM
文武 (bunbu ~ the pen and the sword)
Sealed form: A simple calligraphy brush.
Shikai: A naginata that leaves a sharp-edged trail in the wake of its blade, which can be erased by the butt end of the weapon.
Bankai: The naginata dissolves into a great black pool of ink that can take whatever form the wielder desires.

Frozen_Feet
2010-07-26, 05:07 PM
Edit: Speaking of which, you can replace the word "reiatsu" most times in the series with "awesome" and still have things make nearly the same degree of more sense. Just a personal opinion on that one.

Fixed your typo. :smallwink:

SurlySeraph
2010-07-26, 06:40 PM
Zanpaktou Name: Kuro Mitsurin
Release Command: Sow.
Sealed form: A black machete with a wooden handle.
Shikai: When Kuro Mitsurin is released, it sucks in air from around it in a burst; leaf-shaped patches of metal flake off of the blade and begin spinning around it it in a localized cyclone. The interior of the blade, exposed when the leaves fall, is living greenery; it can extrude vines that whip at enemies beyond the reach of the whirling metal leaves or latch on to objects.
Bankai: Many more leaves and vines sprout from the blade and weave together into a dark mass of dense, swaying metal plants.
Striking Jungle: The mass stays suspended in the air at the end of Kuro Mitsurin; when the sword is swung, it moves along as if weightless, greatly increasing the wielder's reach, acting as an effective shield, and inflicting countless cuts on those who pass through it.
Crushing Jungle: The mass traps an enemy caught in it, entangling them and constantly slashing them with swaying leaves, vines, trunks, and even insects and small animals made of blades. The dense and ever-shifting foliage is extremely difficult to escape by any means but blasting your way through.
Roving Jungle: The mass hurtles across the ground, propelled by powerful wind, engulfing and picking up all those in its path as it careens around unpredictably.
Zanpakuto spirit: An old and very cranky Filipino or Huaorani man, wearing dark grey clothing and a tie with a leaf-shaped pattern.

In fact, maybe I should make a BleachITP character with this.

Fiery Diamond
2010-07-26, 06:51 PM
I was totally writing up one and then realized two things: first, that I had written more than 1000 words and wasn't done yet, and second, that it was very Mary Sue-like, but in terms of "has way too many cool abilities" rather than in terms of "is completely broken." So I decided not to do it and erased it.

How am I supposed to write up something to make myself badass without making myself Mary Sue-ish? Sigh.

LurkerInPlayground
2010-07-26, 06:53 PM
I was totally writing up one and then realized two things: first, that I had written more than 1000 words and wasn't done yet, and second, that it was very Mary Sue-like, but in terms of "has way too many cool abilities" rather than in terms of "is completely broken." So I decided not to do it and erased it.

How am I supposed to write up something to make myself badass without making myself Mary Sue-ish? Sigh.
When I'm holding it, my eyes change colors!

Also I have a scar from when I first got it . . .

SurlySeraph
2010-07-26, 06:59 PM

1. Make the abilities different ways of using something that is pretty much the same effect, rather than completely separate. Think Green Lantern.
2. Take everything you want, and then cut out half of it.
3. Delete three-quarters of the adjectives, and most of the descriptions.
4. Don't talk about how powerful or effective something is, just say what it objectively does.

Innis Cabal
2010-07-26, 07:02 PM
In fact, maybe I should make a BleachITP character with this.

Perhaps you should :smallbiggrin:

Fiery Diamond
2010-07-26, 07:30 PM
1. Make the abilities different ways of using something that is pretty much the same effect, rather than completely separate. Think Green Lantern.
2. Take everything you want, and then cut out half of it.
3. Delete three-quarters of the adjectives, and most of the descriptions.
4. Don't talk about how powerful or effective something is, just say what it objectively does.

3. and 4. are easy.

The problem lies in that 1. and 2. are mutually exclusive. Meaning, if I take half of everything I want, I will still have completely separate effects, and many of them.

To give a bare bones rundown of what I wrote up:

Name: Shugin Densetsu
Sealed Form: White Katana
Shikai Form: Silver Bastard Sword (Command: Roar)
-Aside from power boost from release, has 4 abilities:
-Terrify: Basically a reiatsu blast to down weaker opponents
-Sharp Edge: Basically an Iai attack
-Flash: Increased speed, decreased power
-Hide: Temporary invisibility that ends when I attack
Bankai: Tamashii no Shugin Densetsu
Bankai Form: Sword vanishes and my outfit changes to blue
-Aside from power boost from release, has abilites:
-I can block blades with my hands without getting cut (aka increased hand defense) as a constantly active ability
-Blade of the Blue Sky: A blue energy blade capable of manipulating ice, water, and wind appears in my hand. It can change shape between a katana and a bastard sword. The energy manipulation is minor, nothing as powerful as any of the Bleach characters have.
-Blade of the Burning Storm: A red energy blade capable of manipulating lightning and fire appears in my hand. As Blade of the Blue Sky.
-Blast: I can sling energy balls of fire, lightning, water/ice, earth, and air which explode on impact. If in "Poem Mode", I can sling multi-energy blasts, but this reduces my time in "Poem Mode."
-The Poem: I recite a five line poem (I wrote it up, but I'm just giving the bare bones of everything here.) This causes duplicates of myself to form a star shape around me, each glowing a different color, before they enter into me. Basically, this is a Nova Mode. I cannot exit it at will, and it rapidly drains my energy. Using other abilities in this mode depletes energy even faster. Once I reach the end, I go out of bankai and collapse, in danger of death within 1 minute unless healed/given reiatsu. During recitation of the poem I am a sitting duck and cannot defend myself.
-Valiant Knight: My outfit becomes a white-gold with blue designs armor. I have a broadsword with gems in the hilt. My defense skyrockets, but my speed decreases. I can use Terrify but not the "Blade" abilities.
-Swift Hero: My outfit becomes a white T-shirt with black shorts and a blue headband. I have a silver sword resembling my sealed sword. My speed skyrockets, but my defense decreases. I can use Sharp Edge and Flash but not the "Blade abilities."

Of course, this is the bare bones. I had more accurate description (it wasn't overly descriptive, just more precise).

Math_Mage
2010-07-27, 03:36 AM
lots of abilities

Make liberal use of SurlySeraph's suggestion #2. In particular, restrict yourself to abilities that fit thematically with each other. Terrify doesn't go well with Flash and Hide, for example. Blade of the Blue Sky/Burning Storm are unrelated to the Shikai abilities. The Poem, Energy Blast, and Shirahadori abilities just sort of appear out of nowhere. You could go with a Strength/Speed duality of some kind, suggested by your Valiant Knight and Swift Hero abilities. But given your admitted desire for 'cool' and 'badass', I'd imagine you're looking for something more original. So find a theme, and stick with it, and limit yourself to 2-3 abilities per form. That should be more than enough.

Prime32
2010-07-27, 04:57 AM
Multiple abilities per form is one thing, but this is more like multiple forms.

What I mean is, Byakuya has all sorts of variations of his bankai, but they're more like techniques he made up using the same basic power (create giant blades from the ground and split them into millions of tiny blades that look like petals), which isn't even that different from his shikai (split katana into hundreds of tiny blades that look like petals).

Attack with mass of petals
Control mass of petals with arms to increase speed
Pivotal Scene: Attack with petals from every direction at once
Throat Scene: Surround enemy with a tornado of petals
Scene of the Massacre: Condense petals into a wall of swords
Final Scene, White Imperial Sword: Condense all petals into a single sword

If you can figure out a way that the same power can be used in multiple ways to get the effects you want then it becomes much more coherent (and your character appears more skilled than lucky (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuperpowerLottery)), even if the justification is stretched. Like Luffy. :smalltongue: Look at how many unique abilities he gets out of "being made of rubber".

Form
2010-07-27, 06:14 AM
Zanpaktou name: Cannai
Release command: Cannibalize, Cannai!
Shikai: The katana is replaced by an energy sword, constructed from my own reiatsu. The sword can be deformed at will to a limited degree, allowing me to bend or thicken/lengthen the blade to a limit or to change the weapon type. A second blade can be summoned for the off hand, but the second weapon is often reformed into a shield.
Bankai: Total Reiatsu Control, Cannai!
My weapon retains its Shikai look, but I am given total control over my own (and only my own) reiatsu to manipulate and direct as I wish. Each ability depends on and drains my reiatsu.
Cannibalize- I can divert my reiatsu to another to replenish or augment their reiatsu at the expense of my own.
Harden- I divert a large amount of my reiatsu to a particular point of my body to reduce damage taken from an incoming swordblow or kidou attack.
Enhance- Use my own reiatsu to empower one of my kidou spells or to increase the damage an enemy takes from my swordblow.
Sacrifice- I use my own reiatsu to deliver an energy burst at my enemy.
Kamikaze- Essentially an extreme version of one of the above abilities. I use up all of my reiatsu for one final strike, after which I am killed or at the very least end up in a near death state.

LurkerInPlayground
2010-07-27, 07:40 AM
Oh seeming badass without seeming overwrought is easy:

Like having sufficient prescience to know what exact set of actions are the most direct way of killing/evading your enemies.

The depth and breadth of the prescience increases as you "level up" or "unseal" or whatever. These can include such things as telepathy or exacting information of your surrounding terrain or the ability to "scry" forward and backwards in time.

At the most basic, you'd want to know exactly which action will simply penetrate the defenses of a chosen foe, without entering direct combat even.

The Tygre
2010-07-27, 09:44 AM
This reminds me. I need to watch enough Bleach to figure out what ya'll are talking about, haha.

Don't worry; we're in the same boat. As for my Zanpakuto;

Shadowed Saint of Hell is always activated, and resembles a mighty, graceful cestus which covers the hand like a glove. It strikes impart health and energy rather than damage.

Silent Shield, Frozen Shield is carried in the form of an umbrella when inactive. At the command of, "Roar Silent Shield, Frozen Shield!", it transforms into a large, heavily deformed franciesca that hovers around you.

Incidentally, this is great for Exalted artifacts.

Fiery Diamond
2010-07-27, 10:05 AM
As I said, the problem lies in "what I want" being not a single theme.

I will be impressed (and delighted) if you can figure out a way to combine all the following things under one theme:

1. Speed-based
2. Power-based
3. Multiple-element-based
4. Multiple distinct sword forms, including katana, bastard sword, and energy sword
5. A nova mode that requires a long incantation and drains my power rapidly
7. Separate self-forms based around speed and defense, and at least one form allowing for stopping attacks barehanded

Hide existed primarily because it was part of the set of abilities I had in a sort-of-roleplay, which these abilities were all based on. It can be done without.

So...if you think it possible, experiment to create a new-and-not-Sue Shugin Densetsu/Tamashii no Shugin Densetsu!

Prime32
2010-07-27, 10:11 AM
I will be impressed (and delighted) if you can figure out a way to combine all the following things under one theme:

1. Speed-based
2. Power-based
4. Multiple distinct sword forms, including katana, bastard sword, and energy sword
7. Separate self-forms based around speed and defense, and at least one form allowing for stopping attacks barehanded
Wind and lightning. Wind is speed, lightning is power. Nova mode summons a bolt of lightning to strike you ("SHAZAM!"). Maybe the nova is your shikai, which requires a long incantation to activate due to the odd personality of your spirit (poem activation phrases have been seen before). Speed-based can come from simply being good at shunpo (http://bleach.wikia.com/wiki/Shunpo), rather than a power of your sword.

Theme is "storm".

Sealed is katana, shikai is bastard sword, bankai is energy sword (made of lightning). You have a defensive ability which strikes enemies with lightning, but you can convert it into a lightning sword which you dual-wield with your z-pac.

For a high-level character, you might include the ability to create clouds and hail as well.

Frozen_Feet
2010-07-27, 11:26 AM
As I said, the problem lies in "what I want" being not a single theme.

1. Speed-based
2. Power-based

Hide existed primarily because it was part of the set of abilities I had in a sort-of-roleplay, which these abilities were all based on. It can be done without.

So...if you think it possible, experiment to create a new-and-not-Sue Shugin Densetsu/Tamashii no Shugin Densetsu!

Eh, single theme is not necessary. You can have multiple themes for one Zanpakuto, for example one for Shikai and one for Bankai.

And tying seemingly disparete powers together with one theme is not that hard. I have a Shinigami character who's Zanpakuto turns hot to cold and cold to hot, black to white and white to black, solid to liquid and liquid to solid, moist to dry and dry to moist, flips gravity 90 degrees to the side, causes synesthesia and makes everyone three times heavier. Theme? Nightmares.

Telekinesis would cover all those effects - you can throw yourself around to increase speed, brace physical blows with your mind to increase power, bend metal to new forms or strike foes with pure mental force, pick up and throw stuff to cover multiple elements, cause a whopping big explosion with your mind by concentrating for a long while (using a mantra to cover the chant part), and different modes of offense and defense are just covered by swapping clothes and using the power creatively.

deuxhero
2010-07-27, 12:04 PM
Blade of the Immortal.