PDA

View Full Version : J.V. Jones' Sword of Shadows: Clan Lores

MoleMage
2010-07-25, 09:02 PM
I've been reading these books and I like the clan lores as a character element. So, just for fun, let's make them into a game effect!

For those who have read these books, how would you turn the lores into a mechanical game effect? I'm thinking background feat, with different effects depending on the lore.

For those who haven't, a quick summary is that every child born into the clanholds (a territory held by culturally similar but distinct clans, something like 15 of them, with three main ones) is given a lore based on a 'dreaming' by their clan guide. These lores are supposed to protect and guide the clansperson, as well as represent some attributes of that person.

Here's a list of which lores I can remember off the top of my head, as well as characters who have them:

Eagle: Inigar Stoop, Raina Blackhail
Fox: Anwyn Bird
Bear: Tem Sevrance, Drey Sevrance
Wolf: Mace Blackhail
Stone: Effie Sevrance (this lore is odd to the point of intolerance)
Raven: Raif Sevrance (though an animal like other lores, poorly regarded)
Deer: Unknown grandaughter of Vaylo Bludd
Dog: Vaylo Bludd
Owl: no known characters, mentioned by Effie Sevrance and Inigar Stoop
Fish: no known characters, mentioned by Effie Sevrance internal monologue
Trees: rare, no known characters, mentioned by Effie Sevrance internal monologue

I also suspect that Bram Cormac was born to the hawk lore or eagle lore, and that Stillborn of the Rift Brothers to the bull lore; due to a taboo on asking another's lore, these characters have never had their lores mentioned.

And traits which seem to be associated with each of these lores:

Eagle: Foresight, Awareness
Fox: Home, Work, Action
Bear: Strength, Loyalty, Protection, Patience
Wolf: Deceit, Cunning
Stone: Steadfastness, Mysticism; Effie's Stone Lore often warns her of danger to her or loved ones.
Raven: Death, Endurance, Cleverness; Raif is marked by a unique ability to hit living targets in the heart, and also has had conversations with "Death".
Deer: Grace, Innocence
Dog: Loyalty, Leadership
Owl: Night Vision, Foresight, Good (it is mentioned with reference to its ability to see in 'dark times')
Fish: ?
Trees: ?
Hawk: Eyesight? Intelligence?
Bull: Strength?

So, how would you implement it, and what specific effects should be associated with each lore? Does the player choose the lore or is it determined randomly?

MoleMage
2010-07-28, 01:52 AM
Too obscure?