PDA

View Full Version : Tower of the Construct Mage IC

Helinon
2010-07-25, 09:04 PM
As you enter the town of Kyndrill by the Sea, you notice that few people walk that streets. Those who are give you quick glances as they pass you. One goes up to you and gives you directions to the inn. "Be careful here," the villager warns. "The mage who live in the tower on the coast has been acting quite strangely lately, and the soldiers here have not let any of us near the place." As the man walks away, you are faced with two choices. Do you go to the inn, or the mage's tower?

Taimino
2010-07-25, 09:22 PM
Thomorn Gellantara (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=226986)
Male CN Human Rogue, Level 1, Init +4, HP 8/8, DR -/-, Speed 30ft
AC 16, Touch 14, Flat-footed 12, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
Rapier 2 (1D6, 18-20 x2)
Light Crossbow (50 bolts) 4 (1d8, 19-20x2)
leather (+2 Armor, +4 Dex)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 18, Con 15, Int 17, Wis 13, Cha 16
Condition None

*A mage acting strangely, I am uncertain to how uncommon that may be.* Thomorn turns his head away from the direction the man had traveled away and toward the way of the tavern the man had described. "Well what ever there is, if there's no gold, I'm not sold" Thomorn then begins to follow the directions of the man, looking at the people around him yet still making himself seem uninterested as he talks to himself. "Speaking of gold, wonder how many people have full pockets to donate to charity~"

Helinon
2010-07-25, 09:24 PM
As you enter the inn, you notice that all the heads in the inn turn to you as they open the door, after a few awkward seconds, the return to their conversations, content, and foolish, to ignore you.

Taimino
2010-07-25, 09:39 PM
During the awkward time Thomorn simply looks back at the people as if they weren't even there. *my, my, I wonder what's so interesting about someone entering the tavern... oh well, I rather not think too much into it* Thomorn enters further into the tavern inspecting the surrounding people as he walks, looking for someone to possibly 'give' a little charity.

Helinon
2010-07-25, 09:41 PM
There dont seem to be many people in the inn in regard to how large the building is. there seem to be about a dozen and a half people scattered around the inn, 4 of them at the bar and the rest scattered around the rest of the building. none of them look particularly wealthy but the ones in the further reaches of the bar seem to in poorer shape than the rest.

Taimino
2010-07-25, 09:49 PM
Thomorn shakes his head and sighs to himself. *a sad day for charity... how hard is it to find a man with a slight substantial wealth, oh well, common money or not, it's still money~* Thomorn then moves toward the area of the bar and examines the people there to look for where they may be keeping some gold on them.

(spot check)
[roll0]

Helinon
2010-07-25, 09:53 PM
With your keen eye you are able to perceive almost very detail of the inn. the wall behind the bar is covered in shelves that are stocked with drinks and there are a few single bottles out on the counter near the people sitting there, while the actual people in the inn seem to have their money in their pockets or in small bags tied to their belts. You notice that one man at the bar has a dagger on his waist, and that a person sitting alone near the back of the inn has a somewhat large coin purse. A wealthier person in disguise maybe? All there is to know is that he seem to be quite willing to make a "donation" to your cause.

Taimino
2010-07-25, 10:01 PM
The sight of the lone man's coin purse catches Thomorn's eye. *Ah now there is a man with a average payed job~ a perfect target for charity~* Thorman attempts then to move toward the man in a less-than-obvious fashion so as to have a nice chance as securing his bit of charity.

(hide check)
[roll0]
(move silently check)
[roll1]

Helinon
2010-07-25, 10:10 PM
While you were unable to mask your presence, your silently approaching footsteps did. You were able to nonchalantly approach the man and get behind him without him noticing.

Taimino
2010-07-25, 10:15 PM
*well that went quite smoothly if i do say so myself~ the man suspects nothing, at least from what i can tell~* Thomorn then moves his hand in attempt to receive the man's "donation" while still moving as if he was just some other man passing by just in case of any slight alerting pull.

(slight of hand check)
[roll0]

Helinon
2010-07-25, 10:19 PM
You deftly lift the mans purse out from under his jacket and pocket it as quickly as you took it, with the man being none the wiser. the bag weighs quite a bit, leading to some interesting charitably.

Maybe buy this poor man a drink with his donation? Or not. :smallamused:

Taimino
2010-07-25, 10:24 PM
Thomorn feels something as if some sort of "all seeing god" has preformed a suggestion of some sort, formulating that feeling into a thought that it is just his mind attempting to give him an idea as to where he may gain knowledge to the next possible Donation Thomorn resolves to buy the man a drink and ask him a couple questions about the area. He makes his path to the chair beside the gentleman. "why, hello sir, may I ask if this seat is taken?"

Helinon
2010-07-25, 10:31 PM
Inside the mans purse you find that it is mostly copper coins, as to be expected, but there are also a few silver and even a couple gold coins in it as well. There are 18 copper coins, 5 silver coins and 2 gold coins in his purse. "No, no, not at all. You can sit here" The man talks as though distracted with an important matter on his mind.

Taimino
2010-07-25, 10:36 PM
Thomorn Sits in the seat in a respectful manner. *this man seems preoccupied by something... perhaps something that could very well involve the fattening of my own purse~* He looks to the man in a concerning way. "You seemed troubled, what pray-tell is on your mind my dear fellow?"

Helinon
2010-07-25, 10:43 PM
"My business." the says while lying his head down on the table. "Ever since the guards cut off the port, my business has suffered. They all have! the trade's almost run dry. If it weren't for the smiths in our town, we would have all been forced to leave." He looks up at you and looks you over. "You seem like someone who can handle yourself. How about i give you a job? You go to the tower there the barricade has been put up and try to get some information out of those guards. I need to know whether or not i should be getting out of here I'll pay you 10 gold for that information." As he says this he reaches down into his coat to grab the money he was carrying. Realization dawns on him as he realizes his has been robbed. "Oh the god must be particularly sadistic today. Why else would they make me suffer like this. No matter, i can still pay you the money, just not up front. Do we have a deal?"

Taimino
2010-07-25, 10:48 PM
*well I suppose that's one way to even out the karma flow~* Thomorn Looks to the man, "Sure I will help you my friend, and i shall do it for two gold as well." He reaches his hand out to the man. *I've gotten some gold outta this man already, might as well leave him with something to live on~ hehehe~ I'm SUCH a nice person~*

Helinon
2010-07-25, 10:51 PM
The man is obviously relieved at your offer, and smiles at you. "Thank you sir, you are truly a good man. The barricade is to the west of the town near the wizard's tower. I'll be back here as soon as I get you the money." And with that the man leave in a hurry.

Taimino
2010-07-25, 10:55 PM
Thomorn waves to the man as he leaves, then gets up himself and stretches a bit. "Well if it's a barricade they'll probably be some guards around it, I'm sure I can convince a couple of them to give me the information~" Thomorn heads toward the exit of the tavern. *Who knows, this whole thing may end up a bit more interesting then i thought~ hopefully it does~*

Helinon
2010-07-25, 11:01 PM
As you get close to the barricade you hear sounds of battle from a distance. There are 4 guards posted at the barricade and one spots you quickly. "Halt! No civilians are allowed to enter this area." He quickly approaches you, while speaking. "I'm going to have to ask you to leave........." He trails off as he notices your rapier sheathed on your belt and he seems to reevaluate you. "Are you here to assist us? Or are you just a curious traveler?"

Taimino
2010-07-25, 11:05 PM
Thomorn not being a coward of a thief is intrigued by the battle scene and wishes to know more. "Not to be a nuisance, but the answer to that may depend upon what exactly is going on~" He places his hand on his rapier. "though i will say, I am no passing commoner~ though i am a bit curious~"

Helinon
2010-07-25, 11:08 PM
"Well, even if you are just a traveler, you look like you can handle yourself. The mage in this tower is sending odd constructs down to attack us. Its been going on for days, and since the mage controls the ports, the trade has just about dried up here. a few weeks ago the mage just disappeared for public view. 3 days ago, some of our guards reported that a large force of constructs was moving to attack us. And these constructs........" the guard shakes his head. "You need to see them for yourself to understand them."

Taimino
2010-07-25, 11:11 PM
*strange constructs? hmm.. sounds interesting~ and by the shock this man seems to be enduring... they may give some sort of reward if I choose to help~* Thomorn nods to the guard. "very well then~ show me"

Helinon
2010-07-25, 11:15 PM
"You can see them by looking just over the barricade. this groups been at us for a few hours now." The gaurd leads to you the top of the barricade and points to a group of figures fighting not too far away. You can tell that the defenders are heavily outnumbered, but the constructs themselves were easily felled by the guards. As for the constructs, the seemed to be devilish creatures that looked like this. http://www.schwimmerlegal.com/images/lego_knight.jpg

Taimino
2010-07-25, 11:20 PM
Thomorn shops for a moment, possibly ready to make an insanity check or two. "My... that's... interesting..." He takes a moment to regather his thoughts. "Well they seem rather easily felled, though their constant smiles are quite... strange"

Helinon
2010-07-25, 11:30 PM
"Their strength isnt the problem. Its their sheer numbers. This is only a fraction of what we had to deal with. if it keeps up, we'll be overrun!" The soldier sighs. "We can only manage so much. They're made of a strange material that melts easily and gives way to our weapons with ease! But there are just so many...."

Taimino
2010-07-25, 11:37 PM
"melts easily, easily vanquished, and with mass numbers... hmm.." Thomorn thinks to himself. *I could just leave this town to it's doom, but there would be no profit in it... Ah, i have an idea~* Thomorn looks to the guard, "Do you perhaps think there is something that can be created to hold them off successfully?~ My profession is something of engineering, the building of objects or devices. Indeed you will be overrun when the fatigue of your men sets in, but if we can make something you can use to... more or less fight for you then~"

Helinon
2010-07-25, 11:40 PM
"If you can help us by making traps or the like, you should probably talk to the smiths. they'll be able to provide you with the parts for your contraptions." they're in the northern part of the town. i'm sure that they'll help you if you ask, just........make sure you only tell the head smith there about all of this. We don't want the town to panic."

Taimino
2010-07-25, 11:43 PM
Thomorn nods and smiles "indeed i will, and keep yourselves alive until i return, Give your men some of those miracle snake oil concoctions or something if it keeps them fighting~" Thomorn turns off in the direction of the black smiths, "Good luck~" He runs off

Helinon
2010-07-25, 11:47 PM
It takes you a good 10 minutes to get to the smiths but when you do you can see that there are easily a dozen smiths working there and more resting. The man coordinating all of this activity is a heavyset man with a belly that told you he was rather fond of ale. As you approach he clears a path to you. "Welcome traveler! its been awhile since anyone has passed through! What can i do for you? Repair your armor, sharpen your weapon sell you anything?"

Taimino
2010-07-25, 11:49 PM
"Good day my dear fellow, thank you for your offerings, you have quite a business here~" he presents his hand to shake. "May i ask if you are the head smith?"

Helinon
2010-07-25, 11:50 PM
The man laughs out loud and claps you on the back "Aye, that I am good sir. Now tell me, what can i do for you today?"

Taimino
2010-07-25, 11:53 PM
Thomorn is pushed forward a bit by the man's strong pat. *quite an arm, I wouldn't be surprised if this man knew how to wield every weapon in this shop* He looks to the man "Well, I have a request on behalf of some guards, not to seem suspicious, but may i ask if we talk about it in private?"

Helinon
2010-07-26, 12:01 AM
The man's face darkens a bit and he nod in the direction of a small room on the side of the forge. After closing the door, he turns around and looks at you. "This is about this ruckus at the mage's tower isn't it? Those guards do a good job of protecting the town, but even they cant stop spies and rumors. So if you're working for them, I'll give you whatever you need at reduced prices. so what'd they send you here for?"

Taimino
2010-07-26, 12:07 AM
"Ah so you are well filled in, well I'd suppose as the Head blacksmith of this town it would make sense that you were. Well at any rate, i am indeed working for those guards you speak of, I have told them of my profession of engineering, and offered to use it to help make things to support them." He makes a kind looking smile. "I also think that with someone such as yourself who is so skilled in the making of those fine weapons must also be quite skilled at thinking some up, so, perhaps you can help me, help them~" Thomorn makes a slight look around the room. " traps and such are simple, as are regular siege rams, but i think on top of all that, they may need something... out of the ordinary to fight off that many creatures over a long period of time."

Helinon
2010-07-26, 12:11 AM
"The first thing for me that comes to mind is a trench, but would take too long considering the frequency of the attacks. What we would need is a trap that can be placed around the area that has a automatic reset. That way it would keep going and going and going. but those are hard to make. something that would be activated just by it getting close enough, so a proximity trigger. the best place for these would be long the barricade. I can supply you with the goods and weapons for the traps but you would have to build them. I'll give you a 50% discount on this stuff, but i can only give you so much of it. use it wisely."

Taimino
2010-07-26, 12:21 AM
"Ah, it appears i was right about you~ you indeed are well knowledged for this matter~ Now then... They melt easily... but that would require fuel or magic, one of which we are without and the other would quickly run out, however those creatures were easily destroyed..." He thinks to himself again.

(profession check)
[roll0]

Helinon
2010-07-26, 12:26 AM
A simple yet effective contraption comes to mind, but it will take time to make and will need some time to prepare for consecutive attacks.

Taimino
2010-07-26, 12:34 AM
"Well I have an idea my friend, A wall of maces!" Thomorn pulls out a piece of paper a ink pen and an ink vial and places it on a table and begins to sketch the mechanism. "we'll need to carve and place the device in the barricade's walls, and "rig" for lack of better words, the maces with springs and a locking mechanism..." He draws what he says to the smith, dipping the pen in the ink often. "The trigger will release the lock when those... things reach the range of the weapons and then, hehe, Smack! blunt, brute force on those nice yellow grins~"

Helinon
2010-07-26, 12:37 AM
"Excellent work! And i have all your supplies right here. doesn't seem too complicated, and theses parts should about do it!" The smith gives you a small pack filled with your materials. "Bit of advice, I'd start making this at sundown. The constructs usually attack at dawn, so..... good luck."

Taimino
2010-07-26, 12:40 AM
"thank you very much my good man~" Thomorn begins to leave. "I will be sure to pay what is owed once these problems are all said and done with~" he says as he leaves through the door. *More like have the guards give it to me along with some kind of reward~*

Helinon
2010-07-26, 12:42 AM
The soldiers at the barricade have finished off the rest of the constructs and the local healer is tending the wounded. none of them stop you so you assume that they have been told about your plans. You finish setting up the trap at around midnight, and nothing interesting happens, but you feel like you could use a nice long rest.

Taimino
2010-07-26, 12:46 AM
Thomorn yawns after finishing, he looks over at one of the broken bodies of the constructs and picks up a shattered piece, placing it in his pouch before looking for a guard, or the same guard he had met before. "Hello? . . . guards?~ is anyone there?~"

Helinon
2010-07-26, 07:03 PM
A different guard reacts to your call. "Yes? What is it? Did you have any problems making your device?"

Taimino
2010-07-26, 09:32 PM
Thomorn shakes his head "No, I would just like to alert everyone that I have finished it, and therefore will be retiring for the night."

Helinon
2010-07-27, 01:05 AM
"Thank you for your assistance. Come by in the morning. the Captain wanted to speak with you. In the meantime," the guard pulls a piece of paper out of his pocket. "Show this paper to the innkeeper. It'll give you free board. The food and drink you'll have to buy yourself, but its relatively cheap."

Taimino
2010-07-27, 07:59 AM
Thomorn takes the paper. "Thank you very much." *Now that's what I'm talking about, Free stuff~* Thomorn begins to head to the inn, "I will be sure to return then~"

Helinon
2010-07-27, 02:11 PM
When you hand the paper over to the innkeeper, he nods his head and tells you your room number. You don't see the man who wanted information though, as he probably got tired of waiting. You rest for the night and awaken feeling fully refreshed.

Taimino
2010-07-27, 03:40 PM
After Thomorn awakens he washes his face in some water from a whet-skin in his bag the proceeds to travel back to the main hall of the Tavern. *I did not see that man here again, then again it was very late so i suppose if he was there he became tired of waiting and returned home. Either that or he had not yet obtained the gold, well either way..~* He hails the innkeeper as he sits at the bar. "My good man, small servings of bread and cheese, and a glass of wine please, if there is no wine I'd be happy with a pint of ale~"

Helinon
2010-07-27, 04:38 PM
"Yes of course. That'll be 1 silver." He goes off the the kitchen to fetch your food. He comes back with a mug of ale and your food. "Hope your stay here goes well."

Taimino
2010-07-27, 05:00 PM
Thomorn hands the man one silver as his meal is brought to him. "Thank you." Thomorn eats the food, placing pieces of cheese on the bread, and every so often taking a swig of ale. Once finished he observes to room to see if the man from the day before is there.

Helinon
2010-07-27, 06:50 PM
Thormorn looks around, but doesn't see the man from before. The innkeeper seems to take notice of this, and questions him about the person he is looking for.

Taimino
2010-07-27, 06:55 PM
"Ah, well, there was this man at this inn last afternoon, and he had asked me to do something for him, he was in the corner of the room" Point in the direction. "And I had not seen him the night before."

Helinon
2010-07-28, 07:44 AM
The innkeeper thinks about the man you were talking about, and racks his mind trying to remember. "Ah yes, I know him. He comes by twice a week. He should be living in the south western part of the town, near the market area."

Taimino
2010-07-28, 08:32 AM
"Ah" Thomorn says as he finishes the ale " I thank you sir." He then gets up and leaves 5 copper as a tip. * I will meet with the guard today, it seems like this is the only inn in town so I will probably end up meeting the man again by the end of the week anyway~* So Thomorn leaves the inn and heads to the barricade to meet the Captain as he said he would the night before.

Helinon
2010-07-28, 11:30 PM
As you approach the barricade, you can see a better armed and armored guard directing the rest of the guards. When you get within 15 ft of him,he notices who you are and goes over to you to give you a salute. "Thank you for all the help you've already given us. Thanks to your contraption, we were able to relieve 3 men of their duty. It may not seem like much, but its something at least. In the meantime, I have a request to ask of you."

Taimino
2010-07-29, 11:51 AM
Thomorn gives a salute, and in his own mind he finds it a but funny. "You are welcome captain,I'm glad i was able to help~ So, what is request of yours?"

Helinon
2010-07-29, 09:28 PM
"I assume that you have been told that the wizard here is the cause of all this, or that you have enough common sense to figure it out on your own. In order for us to stop the constructs, the wizard has to be stopped. Whether by force or persuasion, he must be stopped. We want you to be the one to do it. Granted, one of our guards will assist you, but we need a skilled individual to face whatever that wizard has in his tower."

Taimino
2010-07-30, 07:38 AM
*Sneaking into a wizard's domain full of weak constructs, magical traps, and best of all the high probability of rare items and TREASURE!~* Thomorn holds his hand out. "Sure captain I'll do it~"