PDA

View Full Version : Hello Hackmaster

TechnOkami
2010-07-25, 09:29 PM
So, currently I have a Samurai with the Beastrider package (winter wolf).

I am looking for other optimal class possibilities, specifically the idea of multi or dual classing. Originally I wanted to make a Berserker Barbarian, but I don't think that's possible, especially when I want to be swinging a sword around the size of the Dragonslayer from Berserk.

So... what other possibilities are there with classes, multi or dual, with an emphasis on fighting?

Plus: Is there anything in Hackmaster on the lines of a ranger who imbues his arrows with druidic magic and thus uses both simultaneously (example: you shoot an arrow at the feet of an enemy and a tree erupts from the ground underneath them)?

Lhurgyof
2010-07-25, 09:41 PM
Optimizing... In Hackmaster? O.o

I'm not too familiar with the rules, are you using the brand new system?

We played before that one came out, and I was the only one to make it past level one. Level 3 monk, gotta love using shoe laces as a weapon.

TechnOkami
2010-07-25, 09:48 PM
I honestly don't know what I'm saying, I just really want to see what I get or if I'm anywhere on the correct path of what I'm talking about. I'm not sure about the edition we're using all too well, but the players handbook has a large demon in the background, two dudes wielding swords and a spellcaster slaughtering lizardmen, and two crossbowman firing off of the demon, one on the head, the other on its right shoulder.

Lhurgyof
2010-07-25, 09:58 PM
I honestly don't know what I'm saying, I just really want to see what I get or if I'm anywhere on the correct path of what I'm talking about. I'm not sure about the edition we're using all too well, but the players handbook has a large demon in the background, two dudes wielding swords and a spellcaster slaughtering lizardmen, and two crossbowman firing off of the demon, one on the head, the other on its right shoulder.

Ah, I think that system is either the one we used, or one that's just a bit older than the one we used.

The thing is, in hackmaster, there really isn't much optimization, IIRC.
It's like AD&D. Stats are 3d6, your first roll is strength, going down to comeliness.

I think that weilding big weapons might be a talent you can get, or you could work out with the GM a way to increase the size of weapon you can weild.

And there's probably a magic bow that makes its arrows cause trees to grow, but I'm not sure about that. Perhaps a Druid that makes his own magic items?

TechnOkami
2010-07-25, 10:32 PM
Ah, as true as it is, its what makes Hackmaster so good, the rules literally cant or very never likely gm bent. Oh well, If my Samurai dies (due to making a dual god oath to not harm anyone in the party and thus Thor and Krieshna[lawful evil goddess of revenge/vengeance] will play tug o'war with my soul) I'll probably piss everyone off and play a barbarian. :smallbiggrin:

Sindri
2010-07-26, 05:39 AM
You're the one who picked a LE gawdess of vengeance for your patron.

Anyway, optimization in HackMaster is a lot different than in D&D 3.X. D&D, with its flexible multiclassing system and the fact that your feats are spread out over your progression means that what your character can do changes as you level up, get new feats, dip a few levels in other classes, take a PrC, etc. In HackMaster, unless you're human and attempt dual-classing (generally considered a bad idea, but there are a few ways to make it work) you pick a class (or 2, or 3) and then you stick with that class until you die. Most of your optimizing happens in your selections of quirks and flaws, followed by skills and talents; once you've figured out what you can do, you continue doing that as you level up (you just do it better). There are no "builds" in HackMaster, there are few loopholes (and when there is one, the GM closes it and usually gets out the Smartass Smackdown table for good measure), and since your quirks, skill levels, and ability scores are randomly generated it's impossible to know what you'll get until you finish making the character. Thus, while D&D can devolve into an intellectual exercise to develop the "perfect build," each HackMaster character is unique, with their effectiveness having less to do with how well you know the rules an how many sourcebooks you own and more to do with luck and the whim of the GM.

Incidentally, making a barbarian in a game with a 9th level mage is probably a bad idea; your compulsion to destroy magic will combine with your low hit point total and his ability to make things go boom, and you'll need a new character shortly.

The best way to get oversized weapons in HackMaster is to play a Half-Ogre; they count as size large, so they can wield Huge weapons two-handed, or dual-wield polearms or greatswords.