PDA

View Full Version : Teen Love

Silence
2010-07-25, 10:30 PM
So, I got this idea a while ago. Why not ask everyone I know for their stories of teenage love? I mean, maybe not with any sort of point, but just the raw facts of what happened and how they felt. I figured I could collect them, and put them into a little mini-novel, all confidentially. The concept is quite simple.

Anyway, I'm asking the playground for their stories of teenage love and romance. Shoot me a PM, Email ([email protected]), hit me up on MSN (my email address), or Facebook (Jake Neild, the guy with the red tie). I'd prefer not a PM, because I can't get on GitP much, but I'll try. Leave a post, so this thread stays alive, too :D

Here's what I'm looking for:

Anyway can submit any amount of stories. I'll decide what makes the cut, but I'm looking for a lot of material. I'd prefer one detailed, really well written submission than three weaker ones.

I want as many perspectives, emotions, and insight as you can put into it. There aren't any rules, weather you write is like a first person narrative, or just telling a story, or whatever. I just want as many details and feelings as possible.

Change anyone's names involved. You can keep your own name, but at least change the last names. I don't want people hunting people down.

Anyway, the bottom line is just to tell a story in as much detail as you can about your teenage love and romance. I'll help you write it, if you want, but I want the most raw stories I can find.

Peace!

Lycan 01
2010-07-25, 10:37 PM
What's this for, exactly? :smallconfused:

I had a few crushes. Only one girlfriend. Asked her out when I was 17, three years later we're still together, madly in love, and waiting til we finish college to get married. :smallbiggrin:

Moff Chumley
2010-07-25, 10:48 PM

I had a few crushes. Only one girlfriend. Asked her out when I was 17, three years later we're still together, madly in love, and waiting til we finish college to get married. :smallbiggrin:

:smallredface:

B'AWWW

Silence
2010-07-25, 11:04 PM
It's not really for anything in particular. I'll post it in a few places, maybe even send it to magazine or two if it's good.

But that sounds like an awesome story. You should write it up and send it over, I would love the contribution.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-25, 11:11 PM

While it looks a bit like the OP might have a "Get rich quick" Scheme going I personally think

B'AWWW

This reaction is what this thread is for.

Lycan 01
2010-07-25, 11:11 PM
Do you want the full story, or just how we met and started dating?

Thank you, Moff Chumley. We tend to get that response from people often. :smalltongue:

Silence
2010-07-25, 11:23 PM
How could I possibly get rich off of this? Eh, whatever.

I would like as much story as possible. I mean, after a certain point, it may become reduntant if things don't happen, and you can skim over stuff, but the more content, the better.

Moff Chumley
2010-07-25, 11:24 PM
I would contribute to this thread, but 1) My story is extremely dull and 2) I'M THE GODDAM MOFF CHUMLEY. :smalltongue:

Lycan 01
2010-07-25, 11:25 PM
Its a long story. :smalleek:

There's frickin' ninjas in it.

Okay, I'm joking about that one. But there was a guy dressed as Scorpion from Mortal Kombat there when she broke her clavicle on the third day of the Church Camp trip we met on. She swears it wasn't the painkillers that made her say yes when I asked her out a couple of days later on the last night of the trip. XD

Coidzor
2010-07-25, 11:29 PM
I... have had way too damn much teen love in my time.

Especially of the variety that got made into crappy poetry. Haha. Got a deviantart mostly filled with that drivel.

Silence
2010-07-25, 11:30 PM
I would contribute to this thread, but 1) My story is extremely dull and 2) I'M THE GODDAM MOFF CHUMLEY. :smalltongue:

I don't really care how dull it is. Excitement isn't the point. Different viewpoints and ideas are. Insight.

Its a long story. :smalleek:

There's frickin' ninjas in it.

Okay, I'm joking about that one. But there was a guy dressed as Scorpion from Mortal Kombat there when she broke her clavicle on the third day of the Church Camp trip we met on. She swears it wasn't the painkillers that made her say yes when I asked her out a couple of days later on the last night of the trip. XD

Sounds like an EXCELLENT story. I want to hear it in more detail xD

Moff Chumley
2010-07-25, 11:32 PM
I don't really care how dull it is. Excitement isn't the point. Different viewpoints and ideas are. Insight.

Again: insight? Who do you think I am? :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2010-07-25, 11:33 PM
Again: insight? Who do you think I am? :smalltongue:

Is Yo' Drill The Drill Dat Pieces Da Hebens?

Moff Chumley
2010-07-25, 11:38 PM
I'm The Goddam Batman

Mystic Muse
2010-07-25, 11:40 PM
How could I possibly get rich off of this? Eh, whatever.

Considering the stuff you can apparently sell on TV I wouldn't be surprised.

I'd contribute other than just saying "Daww" to future posts but I don't have a girlfriend and never have had one.

Silence
2010-07-25, 11:47 PM
I'm The Goddam Batman

Now *there's* a story I want in the collection.

Moff Chumley
2010-07-25, 11:52 PM
Now *there's* a story I want in the collection.

>.>

<.<

Asked my girlfriend on Facebook to describe our relationship in one sentance. Imediately she responded with "Sure: WHAT THE F***".

:smallcool:

Lycan 01
2010-07-25, 11:54 PM
Okay, now I'm curious. :smallamused:

Moff Chumley
2010-07-25, 11:56 PM
It's the story of a pair of geeks, some copy/pasted chat logs on Facebook, and a complete misanthrope who decided to play matchmaker. Also a freeway overpass.

Superglucose
2010-07-25, 11:58 PM
B'AWWW
Isn't BAWWWWW usually needless complaining? Isn't the normal response "DAWWWWWW"? :smallconfused:

Mine is a tale of heartbreak, but the thought of the op posting it around the internet fills me with something I haven't felt very often... concern. I would like more info on your intended use before I share the story. A PM or an email will suffice.

Moff Chumley
2010-07-26, 12:00 AM
DAWWWWWWWWWWW makes me think "Digital Audio WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWorkstation".

Because I'm a geek.

_Zoot_
2010-07-26, 06:44 AM

B'AWWW

That was not a reaction that I was expecting from someone with your avatar! :smallbiggrin: It looks like an Imperial Officer or some other heartless soldier!

Obrysii
2010-07-26, 08:34 AM
Every girl I've ever had a crush on ended up declaring herself a lesbian.

I have bad luck.

GFA
2010-07-26, 08:39 AM

I have bad luck.

Wow. I've had this problem. Only 1 girl I've actually had a crush on, but still

Coidzor
2010-07-26, 09:00 AM

I have bad luck.

And here that's only happened to me once. And then I ended up dating her years later when she was bi again. Then she left me for my best friend and switched over to being a lesbian. And my best friend was a guy. So she was a lesbian dating a guy.

:smallconfused:

Eadin
2010-07-26, 09:02 AM
I dated guys who basicly wanted me for sex...or because I was "hot"
And then a very awesome guy came along, we fell in love at first sight and I messed it up because I couldn't believe he actually did love me.
And now we're talking again...

Obrysii
2010-07-26, 09:11 AM

My problem is women tend to assume this is the only thing I could possibly want. That everything I say is in some way sexual or lewd. When in reality, while sex would be nice, it's not really what I'm after. I want someone who wants me around - who wants to be with me.

Because of the assumption women have of me, and the fact I really am not a catch in terms of looks, I generally don't bother talking to "hot" girls unless they're genuinely friendly. There's a woman at my work who is about as beautiful as you can get - I mean, she has to be a model. And if she isn't, she needs to be. Normally I wouldn't even talk to her, because she'd just assume the worst in me - but she's actually started conversations before. That's unprecedented.

So yeah. Yay for nearly total bad experiences with women. No confidence in this area = I have nearly no luck whatsoever.

Coidzor
2010-07-26, 09:15 AM

An unfortunate side effect of being pretty, that.

And then a very awesome guy came along, we fell in love at first sight and I messed it up because I couldn't believe he actually did love me.
And now we're talking again...

Good luck with that.

Mainlander
2010-07-26, 09:22 AM
I'm not a very active member, but I'm guessing you don't care if your teen love stories are GitP regular exclusive. :smalltongue:

Anyways, I'm just finishing up a long distance relationship (distance ends at the end of August, we've been together over a year) and I'm seventeen now (she's turning eighteen at the end of August). If you're interested in a story about the actual distance part and we're teen enough for you, I'd be willing to contribute. I won't go into too much detail here, though, and obviously I can't provide you with much conclusion. :smalltongue:

Ichneumon
2010-07-26, 10:33 AM
I'm feeling somewhat depressed, now that I realise that I've never had any real "teenage love", sure a few crushes, but never more, and now I'm too old... (20)

Coidzor
2010-07-26, 10:38 AM
I'm feeling somewhat depressed, now that I realise that I've never had any real "teenage love", sure a few crushes, but never more, and now I'm too old... (20)

:smalltongue: Is Mostly what teen love is.

GFA
2010-07-26, 10:41 AM
:smalltongue: Is Mostly what teen love is.

Well put. How many of the people in "love" as a 13, 14, 15 year old actually get married or have (purposeful) kids?

Ichneumon
2010-07-26, 10:48 AM
I remember having a crush on someone who turned out to be nothing like I expected and extremely not my type of person.

Coidzor
2010-07-26, 10:55 AM
I remember having a crush on someone who turned out to be nothing like I expected and extremely not my type of person.

Yeah, I did that a couple of times. Is fairly common even amongst adult types.

Syka
2010-07-26, 11:02 AM
Most people here know my story, but I guess I can send it to you. Took place from 16-19 and was about 3.5 years long. The end sucks, but the beginning is pretty adorable.

My sister and her fiance also have a ridiculously adorable story. They've been together since their senior prom over 3 years ago and are getting married this January. :smallsmile:

Tiger Duck
2010-07-26, 11:09 AM

Yeah, I've not even had that before turning 20, have had some crushes in the last 3 years though. But nothing became of them.

Moff Chumley
2010-07-26, 11:55 AM
That was not a reaction that I was expecting from someone with your avatar! :smallbiggrin: It looks like an Imperial Officer or some other heartless soldier!

mangosta71
2010-07-26, 01:31 PM
I realized in my early-mid 20s that none of my "teenage loves" were anything more than crushes. I have since come to the realization that very few teenagers are emotionally mature enough to experience anything that I would define as actual love. But I have a story that might qualify for your collection, as it began when I was 18 (and is what drove me to the two realizations I refer to)...

ForzaFiori
2010-07-26, 03:55 PM
I would contribute, but my few experience have all been REALLY crappy so far.

@GFA: There was a couple who graduated class of 2009 at my HS. Started dating before a dance in 7th grade, were voted Mr and Mrs PHS, and are planning on getting married soon. They'd been together for almost 6 years before graduating HS.

GFA
2010-07-26, 03:57 PM
@GFA: There was a couple who graduated class of 2009 at my HS. Started dating before a dance in 7th grade, were voted Mr and Mrs PHS, and are planning on getting married soon. They'd been together for almost 6 years before graduating HS.

1 couple. 1. Thats my point. I guess it happened more back when women didnt work and most people got a job instead of going to college. But yeah, its rarer now.

Vaynor
2010-07-26, 04:04 PM
1 couple. 1. Thats my point. I guess it happened more back when women didnt work and most people got a job instead of going to college. But yeah, its rarer now.

There's at least 3 couples that I know of that went to my high school that were together 4+ years and either are married or plan to. I don't know how long those relationships will last, but it's not terribly uncommon.

GFA
2010-07-26, 04:59 PM
There's at least 3 couples that I know of that went to my high school that were together 4+ years and either are married or plan to. I don't know how long those relationships will last, but it's not terribly uncommon.

I suppose that it varies with where you live.

Coidzor
2010-07-26, 05:47 PM

Life tends to do that on its own.

Highschool sweethearts can work, and they can also crash horribly. Is like, epitome of taking chance, rolling the dice.

*shrug*

I think we's been a bit derailed.

So have a blast from the past. (http://coidzy.deviantart.com/art/Reflection-upon-a-Snow-Day-51708654?q=gallery%3ACoidzy%2F12186104&qo=20)

And more silliness if you really need some. (http://coidzy.deviantart.com/art/Bonny-Bluesummers-41010135)

Player_Zero
2010-07-26, 05:52 PM
This one time I had a crush on someone, believe it or not.

We got on well. I think she might've liked me as well.

Nothing came of it of course. And over the years that've passed I have become painted with indifference (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBthi_An5qQ).

ForzaFiori
2010-07-26, 06:04 PM

Yea. It's fairly common here. My grandparents started dating in around 7th grade, and are still married, several people who began dating in 9th grade are still together now (after graduation) and some are looking at marriage, and then there are even a couple (like the one I pointed out earlier) that started even further back. On the other hand, where my dad grew up, it's really uncommon. I don't think any of my family on his side, or any family friends from where he's from, married high school sweethearts.

Xyk
2010-07-27, 01:38 AM
I have some fun clumsy teen "love" stories. I'm still 17 and this happened when I was like late 15? Early 16? Sometime around then.

Me and my favorite girlfriend to date (of 3) were playing a fun game of 2-person tag in a large, open, green field. I was just tagged and she was like 30 feet away and doing some playful smack-talking. I moved in and she kinda backed up, trying in vain to avoid me. Then I lunged far harder than I intended to and ended up tackling her a little bit. It was more like a bear hug that took us both off balance. I did manage to put myself on bottom when we fell (painlessly), but it was very surprising. We laughed and kissed and it was fine.

Different story with same girl:
In the same park on New Years eve (also her birthday). It was just passed midnight and we were laying out in the open field holding hands and finding pictures in the stars. There were some. I think I remember a bear. After like ten minutes, I turned my head and stared at her. She didn't notice until about a minute later. When she did, she was a little startled and I said "You're cute". She was. And then she kissed me, apparently flattered.

I thought I had more stories, but my memory is not as good as it should be.

Edit: From recounting these moments, some butterflies have been reborn in my stomach. :smallredface: We're still good friends but I kinda miss dating her.

Recaiden
2010-07-27, 01:51 AM
Most of my teenage years gone, no love present. :smalltongue:

Superglucose
2010-07-27, 06:17 AM
Come, friends, and gather 'round the fire to hear the tale of one sugar's extreme stupidity, a daring tale of failure which spawned a pair of heartbreaks so large, the universe could barely contain them. In this tale you will find two star-crossed lovers, both of whom were to share little more than a kiss, but who's lives were utterly shaped by the tragedy about to befall them.

It was a frigid winter evening in Davis, California that year. A girl who will be named L had recently moved from St. Louis, and had just arrived to the first period biology class attended by our heroic saccharride. L immediately made friends with Superglucose's close (at the time) friend, L...auren. Now the girl who had transfered from St. Louis (in order to keep things clear, we will call her L...aurel) was a bit shy and our favorite molecule was distinctly uninterested. For you see... there was another girl at the time. Her name was L...iesel.

And while it had yet to become apparent to the stalwart young gentleman that too many girls around him had names that started with the letter "L," it was apparent that his friend Lauren was going to be dating this boy named B...en. Now Ben would play the part of villain in our story, save he does nothing. Ever. Guy is useless and some rather intriguing things happened to him in the next year or so, but none of them are pertinent to this story.

Later that year, the students (9th graders at one Holmes Jr. High) were invited to a class-wide trip to Marine World, USA. This was to celebrate their graduation from Jr. High and their moving up to the grown-up world of High School... where the grades suddenly (lol) counted and the classes were suddenly (lol) harder. On this trip, Superglucose, his mates Daniel, JJ, their mate Ben, his girlfriend Lauren, his girlfriend's friends L...eila and Laurel (no, seriously, how do I know all these L people? I'm running out of names!) all decided to hang out together.

But alack, alas, something was amiss in the world of the Marines! For Benjamin, in his bravery and boldness, was disinterested on allowing his girlfriend to ride any rides! Intensely frustrated at this, Laurel and Superglucose decide that it is time for them to leave, and see what can be found.

What was found was an intense and lasting friendship, an immediate bond that SuperGlucose has only truly felt once or twice before, and not even in his utter infatuation with dear Meagan of the RWA fame. So they wandered the park, not actually going on any rides simply because they were enjoying wandering and talking too much... until such time as they happened upon another group of meandering souls! These were... Alex, Superglucose, Laurel, Daniel (different daniel), Patrick, and the other two girls were L...Ariel and L...Rebecca. (http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v71/227/55/1036590198/n1036590198_30046380_2141.jpg) (It is at this point that the narrator is forced to admit that Ariel's name is Ariel and Rebecca's name is Rebecca and that neither begin with Ls. How sad.)

Still the connection was not lost, and beginning that fall, Mr. Glucose and his new friend were often around each other. By strange and freak coincidence, Liesel's locker was next to Laurel, Lauren, and Leila's (LOL!) Now this bothered Liesel to no end, after all, in the preceeding summer Superglucose had done the saccharridely thing and asked her out... and much to the surprise and shock of no one, she declined his otherwise impeccable advances. And yet here was this molecule, this alcohol, hanging by her locker every morning!

Now in the meantime, Superglucose had discovered something very interesting indeed. For whenever Laurel was poked in her sides, she would let loose a very satisfying squeak. Her ticklishness became, of course, a think of legend. That fall, Superglucose, missing his best friend, invited her to do lunch with him. They talked a bit about... well I don't even remember other than it was a cloudy and drizzly day and I ended up walking home so as not to feel like a mooch. That's about all I remember.

Anyways, throughout winter the tickling became more and more ferocious until such time as miss Laurel discovered a very key and important piece of information, one that I share (much to SuperGlucose's admonition) to you all now: Superglucose is, himself, quite ticklish. This discovery apparently brought joy to the dear Laurel, who decided to punish his tickling her by tickling him back. These always descended into horrendous wars of gasping laughter, which their friend Lariel noted as being something that perhaps miss Laurel would not like. Our foolish sugar, so naive in the ways of women, believed his dear female friend. And so the worrying began.

It was around this point that the dark ages occured. Rather than simply (as was normally the custom at the time) playing hearts with his friends at lunch, he would disappear for that precious hour, and come back with bruises and quite a bit of sand in his hair and shoes. Eventually; however, he returned to the hearts table and was back to his GLORIOUS reign as the hearts master of their high school! Upon his return, some few interesting events occured.

The first was his development of a crush on a fellow church-goer, who's name escapes me at the moment. Wait, wait... GRACE! Grace was her name. In any case, he had lunch with the members of the 4:12 club once, and during that time... well the second event occured. You see, our superglucose fancied (and in some ways fancies) himself a writer... and part of that was the writing of poems and songs, which he kept locked safely away in a binder in the middle of a room that even he feared to tread.

Well, all songs save one, apparently. Which happened to be a love song about the aforementioned Leisel written way in the beginning of the year before the crush had worn off, but that had somehow, months later, wound up in her hands. It was the single damndest thing anyone had ever seen... and miss Liesel, shyly and about to shake apart, ran up to him after stalking the table for a while and delivered the song in return, saying, "I believe this is yours" and then sprinting off.

Mr. Glucose was, at this point, completely taken aback. How did this get into her posession? Well... it turns out that it fell out of his pocket (must have) in a classroom he had never entered (because of the teacher who apparently found it), and is entered as one of the great mysteries of life. What is also a mystery, though given the previously stated naivety of our friend, is why the saccharride did not simply ask Liesel out there. Although, it mayhaps have been that after being rejected, the sugar had moved on. Let us just suffice to say that Miss Liesel was conspicuously present in hearts games and clubs that Mr. Glucose was interested in.

The other event was the development of Mr. Glucose's crush on Meagan, someone he would pine over to Laurel for a while, agonizing about it. Miss Laurel, of course, knew nothing to say in return... for (as should be apparent to my fine readers) she was both deep in a massive crush with the amalgamation of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen, and also his closest friend. Unable to react properly, she simply remained silent on the issue.

Finally, Miss Lauren (who my readers may remember was dating this Ben person), found herself besides herself (an interesting place to find oneself: beside oneself) with frustration. For she, too, was harboring a crush on Superglucose and the easiest way to get over it (or whatever) was to simply shove Superglucose and Laurel together. Her hamfistedness in this regard upset the saccharide deeply... because a forced confession is a false confession and undoubtedly when Laurel heard our alcohol say "No, I don't like you like that," her heart broke a little.

Yet worse is to come.

For you see, that summer Superglucose had summer homework, as did this fine filly known as Laurel, if I may be permuted to use archaic slang in the interest of alliteration. So one fine afternoon, instead of football practice Superglucose decided to go to History practice. Super! And instead of practicing history, can anyone guess what they practiced?

That's correct!

They practiced playing boardgames! And at the end of the day, perhaps five PM when her father was due home (for it is worth noting that they had been alone this whole time in a house) and his as well, Superglucose decided to say goodbye. Something swelled within our dear saccharide and he decided to give her a hug. Then a kiss. Then they went to the couch.

About thirty minutes later as the now love-drunk alcohol rode his bike far from the scene of the crime, he noticed a car pull into the driveway of his beloved... her father was home, not seconds after he had vacated. Concerned of being in trouble (for it is not proper for 15 year olds to have unsupervised rendezvous), Superglucose biked home harder than he ever had before. Immediately he logged into his email account ([email protected], probably long since defunct) and sent the following message:

Are you ok? We should probably never do that again.

He received the following reply:

Yeah I'm fine.

Breathing a sigh of relief, for he had not been caught with his pants down (as the saying goes, but I can promise that all clothes stayed on as I was there), Superglucose then proceeded to focus on the week ahead of him. See, he was due to spend a week at church camp, and then he spent a week down the green river, and then, through it all, he spent a week in Colorado. All through it he never believed for a moment that Laurel really liked him... he was so concerned that he had forced himself on her.

And then he returned. The first thing they did together was play quidditch... but there seemed to be a distance between them, a distance that Mr. Glucose did not understand. A distance that Mr. Glucose did not want. Over time this distance grew into a deep distaste which became mild loathing... and soon it was that miss Laurel couldn't even hear the name "Superglucose" without a dark and brooding look coming over her face. That winter, Superglucose and Laurel ceased communications. That winter, Liesel was checked into a hospital for an eating disorder. That winter, Superglucose lost his will to live.

But not all was lost! For still in the wings there are parts left to be played, and stories unsung. You see, throughout this, Miss Meagan was beginning to see what a bright, brilliant (LOL), and caring (LOL) young man Mr. Glucose was, and began to, as it were, take a shine to him. From this brief meeting she noticed that Superglucose had a very poor attitude about himself (something he still holds to this day), and told him, "You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. You're a pretty cool guy." And with those words, the grip his brain held on him lessened considerably, and he was free to be happy once again.

Over the next two years, Glucose developed into a happy person, someone who was strange, wild, and very outgoing. But still he nursed a deep and unabiding hatred for himself simply because he knew, as only a man in his situation could know, that he had broken his best friend's heart.

During the storm of relationships that hit him his first year, he met a wonderful woman named Rebecca (no relation to the first Rebbecca, I promise as a narrator). He explained, in a weekend seminar they both attended (which happened to be one of the few times Mr. Glucose had ever felt truly loved), that he still carried this grudge against himself. Miss Becca suggested, since she had Laurel's number, that he call to apologize... and apologize he did!

"Laurel," he said, "it's James."

She responded with a curt, "Oh... I'm really busy..."

Superglucose then continued with disregard for her feelings, and said, "Look, I wanted to apologize."

Instantly the voice brightened on the other end. "Really?" she sounded surprised.

"Yes," James said, "I was an idiot. I wanted you... I wanted nothing more than to be your boyfriend. You were, and still are, extraordinarily beautiful to me. I miscommunicated and I'm still paying the price. I'm really, really sorry."

Miss Laurel, as anyone who Superglucose would be willing to call "friend" would do, wholeheartedly accepted this sincere apology.

To this day Laurel and Superglucose are not friends. Perhaps they never will be... or perhaps some day they will visit the relationship-that-should-have-been. Who knows? Perhaps the Meagen of this story will take the place of miss Laurel... or perhaps Meagen will be the driving force that brings these two together, or perhaps the final resting points of these three are destined to be far, far apart from each other! Only one thing is for certain: I will be glad to see how it all plays out.

EDIT: oh, almost forgot a little poem:

Super 6 hydro
oxymethyl oxane 2
3, 4, 5 tetrol

Eadin
2010-07-27, 06:34 AM
*noms popcorn*
That was a great story!
Also very sad...*sniffles*
*hugs Glucose*

X2
2010-07-27, 06:40 AM
No such luck for myself I'm afraid. Being gay means that it's a bit harder to find. And since I don't advertise nor do I go to any gay hot spots nothing has come up. Nor do I intend to change that.

I don't really believe in love. I believe in attraction, but attraction is scientific, something you can measure. Love is a product of our imagination and advertisers to sell their colognes or their champagnes or their two seater cars or their picture frames.

Bah! Love! Who needs it I say?

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-07-27, 07:19 AM
I don't really believe in love. I believe in attraction, but attraction is scientific, something you can measure. Love is a product of our imagination and advertisers to sell their colognes or their champagnes or their two seater cars or their picture frames.

I don't believe thoughts and feelings can be measured scientifically. The human experience does not carry with it numerically valued emotion; it is analogue and subjectivist, for that is the only way we can view our own lives from within ourselves.

In short, I Believe In A Thing Called Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRYNYb30nxU). :smallamused:

Eldan
2010-07-27, 07:37 AM
Damn. This thread makes me even more depressed. I've never been in love. :smallsigh:

Tiger Duck
2010-07-27, 08:24 AM
Snipped lots of words

Anyone else had trouble keeping the ladies separated? I kept getting confused whom did what.

Xyk
2010-07-27, 11:48 AM
Damn. This thread makes me even more depressed. I've never been in love. :smallsigh:

Ah, don't worry about it. You'll find yourself a girl/guy, just give it time.

I haven't been in love either, I was like sixteen.:smallsmile:

The Succubus
2010-07-27, 11:55 AM
It was the wrong side of my twenties before I found love. It was worth the wait.

Eldan
2010-07-27, 12:57 PM
Ah, don't worry about it. You'll find yourself a girl/guy, just give it time.

I haven't been in love either, I was like sixteen.:smallsmile:

I'm twenty-three.

toasty
2010-07-27, 02:19 PM
I'm twenty-three.

My parents weren't married till they were like 25-26. They dated a year. You have time.

Edit: Also, 18, never dated. Thought about it briefly, but never dated. Reasons are complicated but take into account the girls I would have asked would have said no/had fathers who would have made them said no and culturally, dating wouldn't have been very appropriate.

Coidzor
2010-07-27, 02:31 PM
My parents weren't married till they were like 25-26. They dated a year. You have time.

Edit: Also, 18, never dated. Thought about it briefly, but never dated. Reasons are complicated but take into account the girls I would have asked would have said no/had fathers who would have made them said no and culturally, dating wouldn't have been very appropriate.

Huh. Wouldn't expect Austin to be that ...peculiar... that dating would be so frowned upon. :smallconfused:

onasuma
2010-07-27, 03:19 PM
I class myself as unfortunate in this area. Currently 17 had two (argueably one) girlfriends.

First one, asked me out. Amazing girl, really pretty, very funny - all round a great person. I broke up with her after like two weeks because Im a massive expletive I was felt too young to be involved in a relationship. I often wonder where that might have gone and just as often regret my decision, but we learn and we grow.

Second one, asked me out again (Im such a stud). Determined not to make the same mistake as last time, I made a much worse one. I said to myself "No, I wont break up with her for a silly reason." That was foolish, given that, retrospectively, I think I was purely dating her because then I had a girlfriend.

That lasted roughly 3 months, during which time she successfully infiltrated my social group, meaning when I broke up with her, they felt that we should still be able to get on fine as we hung out as friends as well. This of course was the last thing I wanted to do - Over time, Id realised she was incredibly annoying, flippant, completly unable to make a Dungeons and Dragons character, flirty with anyone nearby and sickeningly clingy.

This, coupled with my forcefully personality lead to me excluding myself from that social circle almost entirely. I still get annoyed about it - they were my close circle of friends, while she had others, but she went crying to them for help, leaving me effectively alone to deal with it. Its really hard dealing with stuff like that without anyone to really talk to about it. Sure, they all tried, but it basically boiled down to "Oh sure, come out with us. Well, yes, she will be there." On one occasion, one of that group of friends even had the nerve to invite her to an event I had organised specifically to see everyone without her about. That did not make me happy.

Oh and of course, none of this was helped when a "friend" decided it would be a wise idea to ask her out himself. Really nice guy... And yes, I know, I dont have control over either of them, they're free people, but he knew how miserable she'd made me and the same happened to him in the end. I was so pleased when they broke up that I felt a bit guilty about enjoying someone elses pain so much.

On crushes, they've been alot. Only asked one out, for a negetive responce, which has crippled my confidence in that area. I know I must be some kind of catch, otherwise people wouldnt keep asking me out, but I just cant pluck up the corage to ask people out any more. Not sure if its self preservation, general stupidity or what, but Ive been stuck in this mindset for absolutely ages.

So yeah, thats me in a nutshell.

Superglucose
2010-07-27, 03:24 PM
Um... attraction is not quantifiable. Nor is it more scientific than "love." And if love is a product of our imagination, then how do you explain the attachment people feel to their families? Skepticism is one thing, but don't hide behind the word "science" please.

@Captain Happy, I have no trouble keeping them apart :smallwink:

Eloel
2010-07-27, 03:43 PM
18, no date. I feel pathetic, thanks to this thread.:smallfrown:

Tiger Duck
2010-07-27, 03:47 PM
@Captain Happy, I have no trouble keeping them apart :smallwink:

I would hope so, but you could have given them less confusing names, ...

But then I'm exceptionally bad in reading names, I generally don't read more than the first letters. I can't help but do that.

Superglucose
2010-07-27, 03:50 PM
Yeah the story of my life is that you can't not do more than the first few letters with my friends. I had four friends named Daniel, knew two Laurels, one Lauren, two Rebbeccas and one Rebekah. Oh and three Davids.

Tiger Duck
2010-07-27, 03:53 PM
Yeah I limit the peoples I'm friends with. If I meet a new Tim, I either send him away, or say goodbye to the old one.
The above sentence contains little to no facts ;)

Recaiden
2010-07-27, 04:39 PM
Um... attraction is not quantifiable. Nor is it more scientific than "love." And if love is a product of our imagination, then how do you explain the attachment people feel to their families? Skepticism is one thing, but don't hide behind the word "science" please.

Most people are raised and cared for by their families, leading to significant attachment, generalized gratitude, and they often get to know each other very well as they often spend a lot of time together. Furthermore, it's usually a social idea that one should be attached to one's family, so people are.

And attraction can be compared, if maybe not quantified.

Look up a few posts. No reason to feel pathetic because there are some people who fall in love earlier.

Superglucose
2010-07-27, 04:46 PM
Recaiden, I will just leave it with, you are wrong but you will believe what you want to believe. Just please stop hiding behind the word "science" and start using the more appropriate word, cynicism.

Recaiden
2010-07-27, 04:52 PM
Recaiden, I will just leave it with, you are wrong but you will believe what you want to believe. Just please stop hiding behind the word "science" and start using the more appropriate word, cynicism.

Please don't try to leave a topic with a declaration that those who disagree with you are simply wrong. And I really don't think my two posts here, one of which was joking and composed of a fragmented sentence, are sufficient for you to tell what I will and will not believe, and I ask you to reconsider.

If you'd like to leave it at 'We disagree as to how much science fits into love', that's okay, but this seems rather hostile to me.

Or if you would prefer I look up studies to show that it could be science?

And I do not see the cynicism in it, in thinking that feelings can be understood scientifically. It's not a very romantic idea, but there's been plenty of research into attraction and love. Real (although perhaps, because people are so complex, somewhat vague) science.

Silence
2010-07-27, 06:01 PM
Sorry I haven't been on in a bit, got tied up with some stuff. Can't respond to everyone specifically, but I can say that I really appreciate everyone's input. Remember, if you don't feel comfortable with sharing it publicly, you can send it to me, and I'll make sure the names are changed and such.

Moff Chumley
2010-07-27, 06:12 PM

For someone as into music as you profess to be, you're giving imagination and unquantifiable emotion surprisingly little respect... :smalltongue:

X2
2010-07-27, 06:43 PM

Well I may not agree with what you say but I'll defend, to the death, your right to say it.

Cealocanth
2010-07-27, 06:53 PM
As much as I like story collecting threads like this, I'm afraid my stories have all been very short and uneventful. Then again, I'm still a teenager and am yet to find such a story.

Zeful
2010-07-27, 07:07 PM

To help you feel better, I'm 21 and have no functional understanding of interpersonal relationships.

I literally can't date.

Eldan
2010-07-28, 03:13 AM
Yeah, that's probably it. The mechanics of it elude me.

I don't understand how "I'm attracted to that person" connects to "I'm in love with that person" and then to "I'm dating that person".

Starbuck_II
2010-07-28, 09:02 PM

I beat that. I'm in my middle 20's and not dating (shyness is my obstacle).

Only story I can think oftelling is this girl named Gracey who I had this crush on. Now at this time she was single. But we were friends and I didn't want to lose the friendship. I mean if things didn't work out then obvious things would get wierd between us. So I did nothing.
She soon (a year?) got a BF (online one). I was happy for her even though I was angry at myself for not acting.
We were in touch alot on aim. And when ever she had problems I always tried to help (even if I'd rather they didn't stay together) because I'd not want her upset or sad.
Anyway, they eventually broke up anyway since it was a long distance relationship. I forget why no work out.
So now she was single. Did I act? No.
Later, I learned she liked me back (back then), but this was only after she had another BF (who was local). Since I wanted her to be happy and I didn't think I could make her: I lied and said I didn't like her back.
Since I almost never lie: she believed me.

So, I learned I should have acted, but too late. And yet, the next BF didn't work out either (he was apparently too self absorbed).

My Best friend brung up in convo about my feelings for her. I also lied to him that I was over the crush (somewhat because I could tell he liked her too). Since I was unlikely to act sadly, maybe he could make her happy for me.

They are still together to my knowledge. At least my friends are happy, right?

Not exactly every detail, but abridged version.

Commander McCoy
2010-07-28, 09:49 PM
I beat that. I'm in my middle 20's and not dating (shyness is my obstacle).

Only story I can think oftelling is this girl named Gracey who I had this crush on. Now at this time she was single. But we were friends and I didn't want to lose the friendship. I mean if things didn't work out then obvious things would get wierd between us. So I did nothing.
She soon (a year?) got a BF (online one). I was happy for her even though I was angry at myself for not acting.
We were in touch alot on aim. And when ever she had problems I always tried to help (even if I'd rather they didn't stay together) because I'd not want her upset or sad.
Anyway, they eventually broke up anyway since it was a long distance relationship. I forget why no work out.
So now she was single. Did I act? No.
Later, I learned she liked me back (back then), but this was only after she had another BF (who was local). Since I wanted her to be happy and I didn't think I could make her: I lied and said I didn't like her back.
Since I almost never lie: she believed me.

So, I learned I should have acted, but too late. And yet, the next BF didn't work out either (he was apparently too self absorbed).

My Best friend brung up in convo about my feelings for her. I also lied to him that I was over the crush (somewhat because I could tell he liked her too). Since I was unlikely to act sadly, maybe he could make her happy for me.

They are still together to my knowledge. At least my friends are happy, right?

Not exactly every detail, but abridged version.

For some reason this line made me really, really, sad. :smallfrown:

You deserve to be happy too, Starbuck.

denthor
2010-07-28, 09:56 PM
>.>

<.<

Asked my girlfriend on Facebook to describe our relationship in one sentance. Imediately she responded with "Sure: WHAT THE F***".

She is a keeper. You might want to get off your Moff Chumley

denthor
2010-07-28, 10:01 PM

I have bad luck.

be thankful they told you before you spent a year chasing them and then they run off with the other woman. That is heartbreak but I was in my 30's when that happened so not teeny bop'er love there she however was 21.

See Chasing Amy for how I felt

Xyk
2010-07-28, 11:40 PM

I have bad luck.

This reminds me of an embarrassing story.

I had a crush on this girl whom I had known to be a bisexual. I asked a mutual friend if she was single. This friend interpreted that to mean "see if she has a boyfriend". She came back and told me that the girl did not have a boyfriend. Of course, I thought she meant that she was single, what with that being my original question. I asked this girl out. Her girlfriend was standing a few feet away.:smallredface:

Coidzor
2010-07-29, 01:49 AM

I had a crush on this girl whom I had known to be a bisexual. I asked a mutual friend if she was single. This friend interpreted that to mean "see if she has a boyfriend". She came back and told me that the girl did not have a boyfriend. Of course, I thought she meant that she was single, what with that being my original question. I asked this girl out. Her girlfriend was standing a few feet away.:smallredface:

Hah. Why were you embarrassed? Practically asking for it doing something that dumb.

Xyk
2010-07-29, 01:58 AM
Hah. Why were you embarrassed? Practically asking for it doing something that dumb.

I went into it thinking she was totally single! The mutual friend is no good at communication.

I can laugh about it now just like all my friends did at the time.

Moff Chumley
2010-07-29, 03:05 PM
I have loads of similar stories about friends, but I can't exactly post them... :smalltongue:

Asta Kask
2010-07-29, 03:13 PM

When I was 18 I couldn't go on any dates because they would trigger my panic disorder. And having to tell a girl "if you excuse me, I have to throw up" repeatedly tends to distract from the romantic atmosphere.

Starbuck_II
2010-07-29, 03:14 PM
For some reason this line made me really, really, sad. :smallfrown:

You deserve to be happy too, Starbuck.

Aww, thanks. But hey, one can be happy while alone (most of the time).

Eloel
2010-07-29, 03:50 PM
Aww, thanks. But hey, one can be happy while alone (most of the time).

I'm not sure if it's good or bad for me to understand you. But I do. Kind of.
I wish the best for you, everyone deserves happiness. Except me, I guess.

Xyk
2010-07-29, 04:02 PM
I'm not sure if it's good or bad for me to understand you. But I do. Kind of.
I wish the best for you, everyone deserves happiness. Except me, I guess.

Fixed it for you.

Dr. Bath
2010-07-29, 04:08 PM

Pff. Dates are for wimps. Real men eat figs.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-07-29, 04:14 PM
My teens are almost gone, and all I can tell of is a small collection of platonic and the occasional romantic crush.
My longest lasting is for a Playgrounder.

Eh, I'm content with my 'loveless' existance so far. I'll find some when I'm ready.

pendell
2010-07-29, 04:39 PM
Let's see ... age 14: Whirlwind fling with a 15-year-old with low self-esteem which was the talk of my school for several weeks. Broke up when she discovered that, no, I wasn't going to obey her every command like a puppet. She said I was "boring".

17- or 18- : Made multiple attempts to go out with the Persian girl next door, but she wasn't interested. Found it amusing, actually. Tried to play all kinds of amusing jokes on me because of it.

Prom, 18: Ask several girls, am refused. Go weight training with male friend, get a call from a lady named Tranh whose date cancelled at the last minute. There follows a MAD rush to get a tux and go through this rite of passage, which I do.

A number of short relationships but nothing lasts long.

18-20: Attempt to date a young lady named Helen Cheung from Hong Kong. Am refused because I'm not Chinese.

21: Date a graduate student, break her heart. Live with guilt thereafter.

Three more short relationships ensue. All eventually break up due to compatibility issues or interference from relatives.

22: Meet a young lady at combination prayer meeting/ Christmas party. We talk every day. She has to leave her apartment and I offer to let her move in with me, but only on condition we get married, because I don't trust myself. I'm rather hot-blooded.

So she asks, "So are you asking me to marry you?"

Me: "Yes".

Her: "Well, aren't you going to kneel and ask?"

So I kneel in the middle of the street and ask her for her hand in marriage. She says yes.

Next week, we drive up to Lake Tahoe from Modesto, CA. Got married at 10PM at night in our jeans. Drive back for four hours, nearly fall asleep so pull into a K-mart (I think) parking lot to sleep for a few hours. Get up, drive into work at 7AM. They ask "How's it going?" I tell them I just got married.

We're still married 15 years later.

Now that I look back, I thought I was a total loser, but I seem to have had considerable better success in my teens and 20s than many of those here.

Interpersonal relationships aren't that hard. There seem to be about four simple rules:

1) Respect for self. If you don't like yourself, no one else will either. Oh, a bit of bad-boy moodiness is okay, but not outright emo. Look, act, like you care about yourself and the opposite sex takes you seriously.

2) Respect for your partner. This works especially well with someone who's been treated like dirt. A little kindness is like candy to a baby, they eat it up and come back for more -- assuming they are willing to believe it's real and trust you in the first place. For some reason treating people nicely, giving them genuine compliments and meaning it seems rare.

3) Signs of financial stability. My dating life improved 100% when I had my own job and my own car. I suspect that even career women want a man who can pull his own weight. Drones are for bees, not humans.

4) KEEP YOUR PROMISES. Nothing ends a relationship quite so quickly as being caught in a lie.

At least, that's what worked for me. Hope it helps.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Reinholdt
2010-07-29, 06:29 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't concern yourselves too much. I never even had an actual crush during my teenage years, let alone a date, or any sort of relationship.
That's supposed to be encouraging, not depressing.
*fails*

Pff. Dates are for wimps. Real men eat figs.
Listen to the good Doctor.
Why is it that we're upstaged as men by a piece of porcelain?

YPU
2010-07-29, 06:36 PM
Only one, from age 15 and still going strong today 20. Yea I will soon reach the point where the only relationship in my life takes up 25%. It freaks me out sometimes, but I still love her and she loves me, even tough we are now entirely different people.

Recaiden
2010-07-29, 06:56 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't concern yourselves too much. I never even had an actual crush during my teenage years, let alone a date, or any sort of relationship.
That's supposed to be encouraging, not depressing.
*fails*

It is encouraging, because you're Reinholdt. And you're great without it. :smallsmile:

Reinholdt
2010-07-29, 07:10 PM
It is encouraging, because you're Reinholdt. And you're great without it. :smallsmile:

Well... I, umm... errr...
That was only one of the nicest things anyone's ever said to me.
Thanks. :smallredface:

Moff Chumley
2010-07-29, 07:13 PM
If it helps, my girlfriend is among the geekiest people I've ever known... in that she tought herself Finnish so she could sing along to Korpiklaani (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9JJdVPhlLg)with the correct accent. :smallbiggrin:

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-07-29, 07:43 PM

Nicely done. :smallwink: My aunt loves to tell the story of how she moved to the West Coast a few years out of culinary school to follow the boyfriend she met there...only to find out when she got there that he was bisexual and already in a relationship with another guy. She found this out because Boyfriend and Boyfriend's Boyfriend were on a date in the new restaurant she had helped a mutual classmate open. Awkward. As my dad puts it, "She chased the man of her dreams, only to find out he was chasing the man of his dreams." :smallbiggrin:

As for myself, I'm also in the "yet to have a relationship" boat. I didn't go to any high school dances and haven't been to any college parties, either, mostly 'cause I couldn't put up with the music for more than a few minutes. I couldn't even go to my prom because my cousin was getting married (to a girl from West Virginia; that wedding was hilariously awful, long story) and the wedding date had been rearranged to accommodate my family, my mom having insisted that I was coming and wanted to come without ever consulting me.

Destro_Yersul
2010-07-30, 04:44 AM
Neither of my stories are of the teen variety. Because, well... I had recently turned 20 first time I fell for someone. That was a learning experience, of the 'I'm not totally hopeless' sort. Unfortunately there's little to say about it, as it was a long distance thing. It didn't last very long, but there was no massive exploding breakup of doom or anything like that. Nor was it really incompatibility, as we remain friends.

About a year after that one started, interestingly enough, the second one started, from a direction I didn't really expect. A girl with whom I had gamed online for quite some time, and become very good friends with and also somewhat attracted to, professed an interest in me. We started talking more, and getting closer, and it grew into the relationship I have now. This one is going very well and, though it's also long distance, I think it's working better than the other did. Both my girlfriend and I are quite happy with each other, and I can safely say that, y'know, I really do love her.

Sorry if my stories are kinda boring compared to all y'alls... :smalltongue:

DwarvenExodus
2010-08-17, 02:35 PM
Funny thing. Throughout all my life I've had no interest in dating. I couldn't understand it when all my teenage peers started drooling over girls.

Heck, I would have probably picked my best friend if I had to go out with someone, not because of any particular feelings, I just liked spending time with them. Still do, in fact.

The Antagonist
2010-08-17, 09:54 PM
Funny thing. Throughout all my life I've had no interest in dating. I couldn't understand it when all my teenage peers started drooling over girls.

Heck, I would have probably picked my best friend if I had to go out with someone, not because of any particular feelings, I just liked spending time with them. Still do, in fact.

Most people start drooling because they're allegedly supposed to. Not many people realize true love is more being able to tolerate the same person for a lifetime than it is the drooling and the fawning and the sycophantic ogling. Also applies to the whole mentality of I-have-to-date-more-than-one-person-in-my-life-otherwise-I'm-uncool. It's all just what we're allegedly suppoesd to do. I've found love is more about accepting someone and enjoying being with them and the wanting to stay with them forever. Best friends, for example, are the first loves of all of us.

And, to Silence... I'd share my story, but... eh... :smallsigh:

2xMachina
2010-08-19, 01:05 AM
Hmm, no love here either.

Had a long crush in HS, and didn't do anything about it until it's too late (was after we graduate lol).
Then after that... while I'm sometimes attracted to some girls, I always go: "Eh, whatever, I'm not going to try".

So I guess I'll stay that way for a while yet.

Ponderthought
2010-08-19, 03:00 AM
My highschool relationships were..educational. Taught me many things. Like what "Histrionic Personality Disorder" is ,what it feels like to be left outside an empty pizza hut in the middle of the night, that three in the morning is an unacceptable time to be called just for a chat, and what it feels like to be stabbed in the neck with a no.2 pencil.

Recent relationships have been slightly less visceral, but not any saner. I just appear to have the ability to draw in the Alpha Psychopath of any area.

rakkoon
2010-08-19, 03:02 AM
This stabbing was in connection with a relationship?
Interesting times you have had.

Ponderthought
2010-08-19, 03:04 AM
This stabbing was in connection with a relationship?
Interesting times you have had.

You know, I guess it was never boring. But the misery is rarely commensurate with the excitement.

You know, Youd think the stabbing would be the worst, but it was actually the terrible poetry.

Syka
2010-08-23, 08:00 AM
I met this guy at the NJCL (National Junior Classical League) Convention in San Antonio waaaay back when we were 15/16. The last night, no less, at the last dance. I spotted this dude wearing a leather jacket in the middle of Texas summer and asked him to dance, thinking the worst that could happen is a guy I'd never see again would turn me down.

He accepted. We saw each other the next morning at breakfast and I was able to snap a picture. We exchanged AIM's and went our separate ways, since we were from two different states. It took two or three agonizing weeks for him to finally get online. XD After only a handful of conversations, he asked me out as well as a teenager can ask someone out who is a thousand miles away.

With AIM, some phone cards, and the eventual acquisition of unlimited long distance on my part we began a three year long relationship. The first year, we didn't see each other again until the next year for the next convention, but managed every six months after that (winter and summer breaks).

For as much as the distance sucked, it was a pretty good first relationship experience (until the end). It taught me a lot about relationships, and myself.

And to anyone who says teenage love isn't really, poo on you. It's totally real. I loved that boy from the time I was 16 on; at 23 I can still say I love the guy I fell in love with originally. Not in a "want to be with him" way but a "he'll always have a soft spot" way, even though we haven't spoken in over three years. And this is AFTER I've already been in love (and still am) again. Now, they aren't the same kind of love- but I don't think anytime someone falls in love will be exactly the same. It depends on the person, the time, etc.

But that doesn't make it less real.

John Cribati
2010-08-23, 09:43 AM
The only relationship I was can be described as "On-Again-Off-Again-Not-Really-But-Sort-Of."