PDA

View Full Version : Thrown Katana

TechnOkami
2010-07-25, 11:43 PM
This is a bit of a stupid question, but I have to ask. If I were to have a magical Katana of throwing, is it considered a thrown weapon? If so, I can actually make this ridiculous class combination of Samurai, Ranger, and Master Thrower.

Saya
2010-07-25, 11:52 PM
I would depend on your DM, but I think as RAW, you should be able to do it, as it requires "Any Thrown Weapon", and under SRD, technically you can make any weapon a thrown weapon.

Fenrazer
2010-07-25, 11:56 PM
I must get me one of those :smallsmile:

TechnOkami
2010-07-25, 11:59 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet! Now I will have a one level Saumrai, 4th level Ranger, 5th level Master Thrower who lobs Katanas of throwing and returning at you. Oh man this is going to be so ridiculously fun.

PS. New question! Would Hulking Hurler at all help this idea, and/or are there any other classes which could seriously help the katana lobber?

dgnslyr
2010-07-26, 12:05 AM
Hehehe, I have the perfect build bookmarked just for this right here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134276).

It involves abusing Iajutsu Focus, and throwing plenty of freshly-drawn throwing katanas, with means of having them return to you. Have fun looking through it. :smallwink:

TechnOkami
2010-07-26, 12:07 AM
Ah yes I've seen this before. But is there a way to bookmark them on GitP? And where is he getting his info on the Iaijutsu ability? All I've seen referring Iaijutsu was the bonuses for wielding katana and wakizachi simultaneously.

Prodan
2010-07-26, 12:18 AM
Oriental Adventures, wasn't it? Or Unapproachable East.

Hat-Trick
2010-07-26, 12:19 AM
Oriental Adventures. Also had the iaijutsu master.

Krazddndfreek
2010-07-26, 02:01 AM
Ah yes I've seen this before. But is there a way to bookmark them on GitP? And where is he getting his info on the Iaijutsu ability? All I've seen referring Iaijutsu was the bonuses for wielding katana and wakizachi simultaneously.

At the top right corner of the first post of any thread, there's a thread tools button which opens a drop-down list. One of the options is "Subscribe to this Thread" click on that and it will be saved to your subscriptions which can be viewed via your CP. :smallwink:

Ravens_cry
2010-07-26, 02:08 AM
On the other hand, putting both throwing and returning on your weapons means it is going to end up being the same price as a +3 weapon, which means it's going to be pretty late in the game before this build "pops".

Saya
2010-07-26, 02:17 AM
On the other hand, putting both throwing and returning on your weapons means it is going to end up being the same price as a +3 weapon, which means it's going to be pretty late in the game before this build "pops".

Alternatively, you can pay 10k for a:
Gloves of Taarnahm the Vigilant (PGtF, 10,000 gp) Gives any weapon you are holding throwing and returning weapon qualities.

2xMachina
2010-07-26, 04:13 AM
Could also try BloodStormBlade.

WinWin
2010-07-26, 04:23 AM
2nd Bloodstorm Blade. Combine with Hulking Hurler. Swap Katana for Colossal Mercurial Greatsword.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-26, 06:18 AM
Gloves of Taarnahm the Vigilant (PGtF, 10,000 gp) Gives any weapon you are holding throwing and returning weapon qualities.

Where's this from?

Also, I recall a weapon augment crystal that gave the returning property.

KillianHawkeye
2010-07-26, 06:43 AM
Where's this from?

PGtF = Player's Guide to Faerun

Yuki Akuma
2010-07-26, 07:08 AM
2nd Bloodstorm Blade. Combine with Hulking Hurler. Swap Katana for Colossal Mercurial Greatsword.

I third Bloodstorm Blade. But the rest of the post i don't agree with at all.

He wants to use a katana, so why are you advising him to use a different weapon? Sheesh.

AslanCross
2010-07-26, 08:07 AM
Bloodstorm Blade is the best throwing class, IMO. The requirements aren't as steep as Master Thrower's, and you actually get power out of it. Master Thrower is better for throwing small darts.

Bloodstorm Blade is for when you mean business. (And Hulking Hurler doesn't exist.)

Curmudgeon
2010-07-26, 08:54 AM
I do hope you realize that you're going to miss a lot. Weapons not designed for throwing have only a 10' range increment, which means you'll always have a penalty for this use. (At 5' you'll provoke an attack of opportunity for using a ranged weapon, and at 10' you're already at 1 range increment and have a -2 penalty to attack.) And you'll have a maximum possible range of 5 increments (50' total). So Far Shot, which doubles your range increments for thrown weapons, is a must-have feat.

Moriato
2010-07-26, 10:51 AM
It is possible to throw a weapon that isn’t designed to be thrown (that is, a melee weapon that doesn’t have a numeric entry in the Range Increment column on Table: Weapons), but a character who does so takes a -4 penalty on the attack roll. Throwing a light or one-handed weapon is a standard action, while throwing a two-handed weapon is a full-round action. Regardless of the type of weapon, such an attack scores a threat only on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a critical hit. Such a weapon has a range increment of 10 feet.

So it'll take a -4 penalty automatically, plus another -2 for every 10 feet after the first 10. Also note that it's a standard action to throw, so you'll only be able to throw one per round.

Unless give them all the "Throwing" enhancement.

Throwing
This ability can only be placed on a melee weapon. A melee weapon crafted with this ability gains a range increment of 10 feet and can be thrown by a wielder proficient in its normal use.

Faint transmutation; CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, magic stone; Price +1 bonus.

Or have some class feature that specifically lets you throw any weapon without penalty, etc

Zeful
2010-07-26, 11:20 AM

That sounds like a waste of 10,000 gold to me. If you've thrown the weapon, you're no longer holding it, so it loses the throwing and returning qualities.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-26, 02:35 PM
So it'll take a -4 penalty automatically, plus another -2 for every 10 feet after the first 10.
No, it starts with a -2 penalty at 10'.
Range Increment

Any attack at less than this distance is not penalized for range. However, each full range increment imposes a cumulative -2 penalty on the attack roll. 10' is one full range increment, and that's where you get the first -2 range penalty.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-26, 03:04 PM
Aren't katana's masterwork bastard swords? I also think there's a weapon enchantment in the DMG to make a weapon a thrown weapon.

Choco
2010-07-26, 03:12 PM
Aren't katana's masterwork bastard swords? I also think there's a weapon enchantment in the DMG to make a weapon a thrown weapon.

Best way is the Throw Anything feat (ToB, CW), which you get for free with Bloodstorm Blade. It lets you treat any melee weapon you are proficient with as a thrown weapon with a range increment of 10.

true_shinken
2010-07-26, 05:34 PM
That sounds like a waste of 10,000 gold to me. If you've thrown the weapon, you're no longer holding it, so it loses the throwing and returning qualities.

Yeah, of course. It can only mean the magical item does not work at all.
It can't, like, be an exception or anything. Of course not. You can clearly see this item was a trap made for players to drop thei wealth by level by 10,000 so they don't get candles of invocation. Sure.

Zeful
2010-07-26, 05:37 PM
Yeah, of course. It can only mean the magical item does not work at all.
It can't, like, be an exception or anything. Of course not. You can clearly see this item was a trap made for players to drop thei wealth by level by 10,000 so they don't get candles of invocation. Sure.

And? D&D has horrible wording and most of it is poorly formated. Why is it bad form to point it out when it comes up.

Darrin
2010-07-26, 05:55 PM
So Far Shot, which doubles your range increments for thrown weapons, is a must-have feat.

Far Shot is available via item: Helm of the Hunter (MIC p. 194, 9000 GP) or Horizon Goggles (CMage p. 133, 8000 GP).

Saya
2010-07-26, 06:05 PM

Well, the actual text for it is:
Glove of Taarnahm the Vigilant: This chainmail gauntlet allows the wielder to hurl any melee weapon he carries as though it had the throwing and returning special abilities.

So probably if you RAW it, it could be interpreted that as soon as the weapon leaves your hands it loses the enhancements, but probably RAI, it's suppose to retain the abilities.

EDIT: Actually, even RAW they should retain the qualities, as the weapon gains the abilities upon entering the "hurled" state, and continue to retain the properties as long as they're in such a state .-.

true_shinken
2010-07-26, 06:20 PM
And? D&D has horrible wording and most of it is poorly formated. Why is it bad form to point it out when it comes up.

Because the intent is obvious. You were just being needlessly snarky, so I acted in a needlessly snarky way as well.

Badgercloak
2010-07-26, 06:28 PM
I have that!:smallbiggrin:
+2 Distance Keen Returning Throwing Katana!:smallbiggrin:

To make a long story short, "They call me Master of the flying guillotine."

Zeful
2010-07-26, 06:35 PM
Because the intent is obvious. You were just being needlessly snarky, so I acted in a needlessly snarky way as well.

People keep saying that about D&D, but every time the response is the same:

"Intent is irrelevant, only what's written matters".

Further the actual text of the ability provided by Saya, proves my stance wrong as part of a casual reading.

FMArthur
2010-07-26, 09:30 PM
There are certain things in D&D that do not need saying to begin with. Claiming an item that bestows Returning does not bestow Returning is beyond inane. It's like bringing "nothing happens when you die" into a discussion on the value of healing. :smallconfused:

TechnOkami
2010-07-26, 09:59 PM
Thank you everyone for posting your replies, they have been helpful. Now seeing there are far better things to make a god of throwing stuff with (shoutout to the katana chucker and the colossal blade lobber) I have discarded my idea with the ranger for far cooler, broken, and utterly awesome class builds. May naught but bloodshed and destruction be in their wake.

2xMachina
2010-07-27, 04:48 AM
People keep saying that about D&D, but every time the response is the same:

"Intent is irrelevant, only what's written matters".

Further the actual text of the ability provided by Saya, proves my stance wrong as part of a casual reading.

For TO, you ignore RAI.
For a real game, you ignore RAW.

Pretty much it.