PDA

View Full Version : Halo: Reach Preemptive Discussion

Gimliggamer
2010-07-26, 01:26 AM
Okay, so I did a search and I only found a thread for the beta, not the actual game which is only a month or a month and a half away now. I wasn't able to actually play the beta due to internet problems, but I have been catching up using various bungie videos. Honestly, this seems like one of the best, if not the best, games for multiplayer on console. It is now adding a bunch of new features, some of which have already been implemented into other FPS games, like the crosshair expansion. This thread is here so that we can discuss stuff we will do/want to do/aren't sure about/think is awesome. The first thing I want to look at is the new warthog. Are those seriously AA turrets on the back?

Inhuman Bot
2010-07-26, 02:12 AM
My expectations for Reach were pretty low, but at this point are high enough to warrant a pre-order of the Collecter's Edition. :smallsmile:

Emlyn
2010-07-26, 02:22 AM
Honestly, if this was just Halo 3 with a new campaign and a few new things I'd buy it. I play Halo for the hilarity that is co-op. That being said, its shaping up to be a good looking game and I'm very excited for the campaign and improved firefight.

The_JJ
2010-07-26, 11:47 AM
I'm pleased that they're throwing the style back to Halo One/ Yay Elites and health bars!

Gimliggamer
2010-07-26, 12:29 PM
I'm pleased that they're throwing the style back to Halo One/ Yay Elites and health bars!
Yeah, the elites look about as powerful if not more as they were in halo 1, which is to say, pretty freakin powerful. Of course the fact that the AI is getting upgraded might be contributing to that factor, as well as the increased height and speed.

Ilena
2010-07-29, 10:31 AM
Ya, we will see how it is but i will probably buy it, i didnt buy halo 2 for a good reason but halo 3 and odst were good (halo 1 was given to me and no way that will go anywhere :P). I hope it is at least decent but ya, we will see. Firefight with spartans will be interesting i think though.

Falgorn
2010-07-29, 12:44 PM
The main two things I'm looking forward to in this game.
1. Forge mode, with massive maps(!!!!).
2. Firefight mode, which looks...awesome.

The Librarian
2010-08-04, 09:17 PM
I'm officially sold on Halo:Reach after seeing Forge World, the preview for the Campaign, Firefight 2.0, and having played the Beta. I have in fact already put down my moneyz for the Legendary Edition of the Game, because I like extra goodies.:smallbiggrin:

Hope to see you all September 14th on Xbox Live.

Gamertag: Righty666
Plz add me.:smallfrown:

TheLaughingMan
2010-08-06, 02:48 PM
i didnt buy halo 2 for a good reason

What reason could warrant not buying the best of the trilogy?

Tydude
2010-08-07, 07:22 PM
I own a PS3 only, and have never played Halo. From what I've heard, it's seems like just a generic FPS. I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, I just want to know what makes Halo so awesome.

TheLaughingMan
2010-08-07, 07:36 PM
I own a PS3 only, and have never played Halo. From what I've heard, it's seems like just a generic FPS. I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, I just want to know what makes Halo so awesome.

Halo pretty much takes all the best parts of previous shooter games (with a few exceptions) and puts them together alongside an amazingly in-depth world. Yes, I'm gushing, but there's a fan's opinion.

Dienekes
2010-08-07, 08:41 PM

Being honest here, the campaign is... subpar. 1 major plot twist in the first one, and that's about it. The characters are largely cliched and I have trouble getting attached to them and the levels are largely repetitive, and are especially annoying when a level is comprised of walking down a path turning something on then doing the exact same level backwards again.

Now the multiplayer is fun. Mindless fun, but fun nonetheless. It's very twitchy and based upon reaction times. The biggest decisions to make is which gun to rush for in the beginning and hope you get. Lives are quick and can end in very entertaining mashes.

However eventually you'll get to higher level play in which it's a mass of grenades and snipers and most the fun drains out unless you are a higher level sniper or grenadier. Gone are the insane assault rifles and shotguns rushing stupidly into death, replaced with spawn killing and masses of fuzzy bombs exploding in your face.

There is also the bit of trouble with map selection. I cannot count how many times I successfully vetoed a map or gameplay I didn't like just to get another as bad or worse.

Now that's not to say it's a bad game, overrated sure just about everything as wildly popular as the Halo franchise is (unless I love it, then it's not overrated at all of course). If you have a decent multiplayer shooter that you enjoy, there's no real reason to buy this. It's just another one with a remarkably large fan base.

Also, as an added qualm with all multiplayer game online. 90% of everyone you meet is and will always be annoying as hell, and feel like saying random crap into their mikes that you have to manually turn off each time. No all powerful off switch so I never have to hear their voices, each game you join you are forced to listen to each bugger until you manage to track and turn off each one who has a mike.

The Librarian
2010-08-08, 05:02 PM

Basically what the two people above me have said. The Campaign for the previous games is...average at best. They usually take about 12-14 hours for the average player going solo. It can be more interesting if you do co-op but you often miss out on some of the plot, although you won't miss much.

Firefight, the new feature they recently added that does kind of ripoff Gears of War is a lot fun. You and 1-3 friends against endless waves that consist of limitless possibilities in difficulty and fun. Like multiplayer, can get a lot of funny kills.

The seller for me in Halo Reach is Forge, which is also what got me in Halo 3. I like the idea of designing your own maps and game types. Me and my friends have had a lot of fun with them. The new forge looks even better, especially considering I sucked at the elite forge skills.

Multiplayer is great and fun, but you run into so many:

1. Loudmouth 8-12 year boys who randomly spout out curse words and other random comments that provide little to any help to the team. About 50% of the time.

2. The "Pro" player who gloats about his "madskillz", causing you to go deaf in your mic ear from him screaming about getting one above average kill, or screaming "LAG!" or "Haxxs!" because he got killed. They often just camp power weapons making sure NOBODY else get it. This occurs 25% of the time.

3. The silent player, or person with no mic. About 20% of the time.

4. An actual good player, with a good attitude, and doesn't do any above that I consider stupid. 5% of the time.

chiasaur11
2010-08-10, 03:17 PM
Interested in the Commander Sheparding of the main character in Reach.

Your multi character is the same as your solo character, it seems. Should be interesting in cutscenes.

Ilena
2010-08-11, 01:53 AM
What reason could warrant not buying the best of the trilogy?

simply put, i didnt like how they killed the shotgun :S made it more or less useless, they took out my assault rifle that i absolutely love and adore, not pleased with the halo 3 version but at least its back, ummm i did NOT like duel weilding needles, a bit crazy, story ..... eh ... it was ok. Overall, i loved halo 1, it was fun and good, i liked halo 3, halo 2 was very meh, and halo ODST was good. Halo reach brings back a health bar (just like ODST) and so it will be good too i THINK. Probably going to buy it but we will see.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-08-11, 07:36 AM
Hold on, it seems to me that everybody forced to comment on it says that most aspects of Halo or mediocre - why keep playing?

Personally, I view Halo like I view Starcraft - an older game that can run on the crappy school computers, but nothing I'd ever actually want to play.

Dienekes
2010-08-11, 10:33 AM
Hold on, it seems to me that everybody forced to comment on it says that most aspects of Halo or mediocre - why keep playing?

I post the bad or mediocre. If you enjoy fps online play it's good, with the same flaws most of them have (no matter what game it is in my experience anyway, advanced play means snipers).

Personally, I view Halo like I view Starcraft - an older game that can run on the crappy school computers, but nothing I'd ever actually want to play.

Except, Starcraft rocks.

devinkowalczyk
2010-08-11, 10:42 PM
best gf ever preordered for me

but
i have no idea what to expect in it

the expectations seem to be high

doubt it could be worse then odst campaign mode

Gimliggamer
2010-08-14, 11:37 PM
Epic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klw_OLUrxgA) and Epic Hilarity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mADhOt6qRlk)

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-08-14, 11:51 PM
Epic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klw_OLUrxgA) and Epic Hilarity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mADhOt6qRlk)

Funny calling it the most anticipated game of 2010...didn't Starcraft 2 come out this year, Bungie? Remember that little thing? :smallbiggrin:

Otherwise, pretty awesome looking...especially the literal trailer.

Gimliggamer
2010-08-14, 11:53 PM
Funny calling it the most anticipated game of 2010...didn't Starcraft 2 come out this year, Bungie? Remember that little thing? :smallbiggrin:

Otherwise, pretty awesome looking...especially the literal trailer.

I don't play starcraft so...yeah. Starcraft is about as popular to me as modern warfare 2 will be once Reach comes out.

Kiren
2010-08-14, 11:58 PM

Those were awesome, thanks for the list.

Gimliggamer
2010-08-16, 02:56 AM
I felt that this avatar may be relevant to this thread:

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy42/Mordakka2/BlueRecon.png
Yay!

Terry576
2010-08-16, 04:22 AM
I don't play starcraft so...yeah. Starcraft is about as popular to me as modern warfare 2 will be once Reach comes out.

I don't think you understand.

SC2 is so popular right now that my friends at drama camp were all talking about it.

They don't play games.

EVERYBODY KNOWS SC2.

TheLaughingMan
2010-08-16, 10:35 PM
I don't think you understand.

SC2 is so popular right now that my friends at drama camp were all talking about it.

They don't play games.

EVERYBODY KNOWS SC2.

What's "SC2"?

Dienekes
2010-08-16, 11:12 PM
What's "SC2"?

Starcraft 2.

A little history here. The original Starcraft was considered the greatest RTS of all time by many people. It also owned, well still owns, an entire nations gaming market. It also apparently has the world wide most popular organized video gaming competition. All this is still currently going strong.

It came out 12 years ago. They have just now released the sequel. Halo: Reach may be big (I'm looking forward to it definitely) but it has nothing on the anticipation coming from SCII, which could probably be called the most anticipated game of all time with a straight face.

Note to avoid causing potential arguments. I do not think it is the greatest game of all time, nor was the original. I do enjoy playing both, of course, merely stating some facts about the anticipation that came from this game.

Now back to Halo. How 'bout dem elites? Anyone else think it's odd that of the available armor powers only humans get invisibility though elites were the original invisible opponents?

Gimliggamer
2010-08-16, 11:29 PM
I consider Warcraft to be the best RTS game series, but enough of that.
And I do indeed find it odd. Maybe the campaign elites have it, but the multiplayer elites don't because of their awesomesauce.

TheLaughingMan
2010-08-16, 11:57 PM
Starcraft 2.

A little history here. The original Starcraft was considered the greatest RTS of all time by many people. It also owned, well still owns, an entire nations gaming market. It also apparently has the world wide most popular organized video gaming competition. All this is still currently going strong.

It came out 12 years ago. They have just now released the sequel. Halo: Reach may be big (I'm looking forward to it definitely) but it has nothing on the anticipation coming from SCII, which could probably be called the most anticipated game of all time with a straight face.

Note to avoid causing potential arguments. I do not think it is the greatest game of all time, nor was the original. I do enjoy playing both, of course, merely stating some facts about the anticipation that came from this game.

Sarcasm. :smallcool:

Vitruviansquid
2010-08-17, 12:20 AM
Halo was great. A lot of people who rip on it for being incredibly generic don't understand that it was the game that popularized so many features that others have copied to make it generic.

Respect for the oldies aside, I'm not seeing the hubbub about the Halo series in its current state. It's a lot like the Zelda games to me. They keep going with one tried and true formula and barely attempt to expand on it, except few other games have copied the Zelda formula and then improved on it as so many other games have copied Halo's formula and then improved it.

Dienekes
2010-08-17, 12:33 AM
Sarcasm. :smallcool:

Uhh, I uhh, I totally knew that and was just testing you, or something.

Gimliggamer
2010-08-17, 08:28 AM
Halo was great. A lot of people who rip on it for being incredibly generic don't understand that it was the game that popularized so many features that others have copied to make it generic.

Respect for the oldies aside, I'm not seeing the hubbub about the Halo series in its current state. It's a lot like the Zelda games to me. They keep going with one tried and true formula and barely attempt to expand on it, except few other games have copied the Zelda formula and then improved on it as so many other games have copied Halo's formula and then improved it.
I fail to see how they haven't expanded on it. There wasn't much of a change between CE and 2, but there was between 2 and 3. And Reach is making a lot of changes(like reticle enlargening, loadouts,space combat, MM is a whole new thing, as well as the armory. There's also the elites...).

Emperor Ing
2010-08-17, 08:44 AM
I really hope they make Spartans vs Elites game types on separate matchmaking playlists, because with the exception of Invasion and Generator Defense, I found the differences between S and E to be unbelievably irritating, especially for Slayer.

Generator Defense is an unbelievably fun game type that Bungie would be wise to keep.

Gimliggamer
2010-08-17, 03:33 PM
I really hope they make Spartans vs Elites game types on separate matchmaking playlists, because with the exception of Invasion and Generator Defense, I found the differences between S and E to be unbelievably irritating, especially for Slayer.

Generator Defense is an unbelievably fun game type that Bungie would be wise to keep.
Well, there aren't going to be anymore elites in matchmaking besides the invasin and such games I'm pretty sure. If they keep those.

druid91
2010-08-17, 04:02 PM
Wait what? Elites are my favorite, How can they do this, grant the elites the glory they deserve and then stop them from playing.

Emperor Ing
2010-08-17, 04:38 PM
I agree, but when playing as elites, enemy spartans are tiny targets and extremely hard to hit, while as a spartan, elites are disporportionately hard to kill. I know this is intentional, but still...doesn't help that Elites get plasma grenades and grenades are thermonuclear explosives in Reach. :smallyuk:

I don't care if they put Spartans and Elites on equal ground, really, all I hope they fix from the Beta is that they nerf Armor Lock (take a few hints from Taunting in Team Fortress 2) and nerf grenades so they don't clear large rooms.

Gimliggamer
2010-08-19, 10:35 PM
I agree, but when playing as elites, enemy spartans are tiny targets and extremely hard to hit, while as a spartan, elites are disporportionately hard to kill. I know this is intentional, but still...doesn't help that Elites get plasma grenades and grenades are thermonuclear explosives in Reach. :smallyuk:

I don't care if they put Spartans and Elites on equal ground, really, all I hope they fix from the Beta is that they nerf Armor Lock (take a few hints from Taunting in Team Fortress 2) and nerf grenades so they don't clear large rooms.
Which is why elites just walk up and stab spartans.:smalltongue:

Also, I heard you could shoot grenades to nerf the explosion. Confirmation?:smallconfused:

Emperor Ing
2010-08-20, 07:57 AM
You could do that in Halo 3 as well. I don't know anything about that but if it is true then they simply made the hit box for in-air grenades bigger.

The Librarian
2010-08-20, 11:14 PM

LoL:smallbiggrin: If I had a swear jar and had to pay a dime everytime I cursed dying from a grenade 40ft away from me, or in a narrow corridor; I would be broke.

Gimliggamer
2010-08-22, 01:25 AM
Yeah. makes me sad that I couldn't annoy people by chucking grenades since I did not have internet at the time of the beta. Of course I can still do that to a lesser extent in Halo 3!:smalltongue:

Emperor Ing
2010-08-22, 04:52 AM
Try playing FFA Oddball on Powerhouse. Everybody always carries the ball to a tiny corner inside of a small room. Complete grenade madness. Best way to get kills is to camp around one of the entrances to the room and pick off people who rush inside.

Easiest solution is to wipe grenades from multiplayer completely, but i'll settle with reducing their thermonuclear blast radius.

Waffle Iron
2010-08-22, 10:58 PM
1. They did nerf armor lock.

2. They did reduce the damage of grenades.

3. The reason Spartans have invisibility is because of canon. Reach was a major military station where they trained the spartan IIs and invented the Mjolner armor. They were experimenting with technologies which included cloaking. But that was all destroyed when reach was glassed, which is a perfectly good reason why reach looks more advanced than Halo: CE (besides graphics).

Gimliggamer
2010-08-23, 06:47 AM

3. The reason Spartans have invisibility is because of canon. Reach was a major military station where they trained the spartan IIs and invented the Mjolner armor. They were experimenting with technologies which included cloaking. But that was all destroyed when reach was glassed, which is a perfectly good reason why reach looks more advanced than Halo: CE (besides graphics).
True, they did steal shielding from the covenant, so why stop there? Of course some people I know can't get over the fact that Master Chief is not TEH ADVANCED AND L33T SPRTAN EVAR. I mean really, he's just a generic spartan, which means he's good at everything, he doesn't specialize.

Emperor Ing
2010-08-23, 07:41 AM

During the beta or afterwards? To be fair I was playing Invasion exclusively by the time they put in SvE game types, where nobody used Armor lock that much anyway.

Teutonic Knight
2010-08-23, 11:51 PM
For me, I like the world of the Halo series. 2552, UNSC, the Covenant, SPARTANS, ODSTs, and the like. And the music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXLNB2K-YA0). The MUSIC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHLvNwBgkjU#t=01m40s)!

As for Reach, it has made me want to start up Halo 3 multiplayer again until September 14, not that I have the time to.

I never noticed the change in grenade radius and whatnot. I just play.

And finally, only the SPARTAN-IIIs got the camo, or at least stealth armor. Noble Team will be getting the tougher and more expensive MJOLNIR armor, but apparently someone gave them active camo too, so everyone's happy.

druid91
2010-08-24, 09:26 AM
True, they did steal shielding from the covenant, so why stop there? Of course some people I know can't get over the fact that Master Chief is not TEH ADVANCED AND L33T SPRTAN EVAR. I mean really, he's just a generic spartan, which means he's good at everything, he doesn't specialize.

I think its funny, IIRC most were surprised that he was the one to have survived. His two main defining features were bravery and a lot of good luck.