PDA

View Full Version : Movie Marathons

Dread Cthulhu
2010-07-26, 06:59 AM
Movie marathons. Watching a whole series of movies in a row, with little to no break in between. Have you done one? Would you like to do one? Talk.

I bring this up because a couple of days ago I did one. Myself, five friends, all seven Batman films, bit over 15 hours. Friends ranged from "seen most" to "seen a few" to "never seen any of them".

Conclusions:

Batman: The Movie - This one held our attention best, mostly because it was first. It's totally worthwhile and completely hilarious, though whether that's intentional or not we had no idea.
Batman - This was good fun, nice and simple.
Batman Returns - I hadn't seen this one, but it seemed to have a nice feel to it. I liked the moral ambiguity as well.
Batman Forever - This was the worst film of the lot. Every other one held our attention, to a certain extent. This one didn't. People began to look for any reason not to watch it. It was just that ridiculous.
Batman & Robin - This was better than Forever, marginally so. It held our attention just so we could make fun of it.
Batman Begins - At this point we all had pillows and blankets laid out so we were much more absorbed. We were all exhausted, I think, but pure quality seemed to be keeping us up.
The Dark Knight - And the best one to finish us off. Believe me, it seems much better when it follows Jim Carrey and "what killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE"

So yeah. I'd recommend it to everyone. The good films you just watch together, the bad ones you just riff off mercilessly.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-26, 03:24 PM
Do you really need to watch 4 and 5 in you list? The only movie marathon's I've had are the original Star Wars trilogy and the Lord of the Rings. There are also movies I watch and then watch the sequel (only two films in those series so I wouldn't call it a marathon).

I can't wait until 2012 when the Avengers film comes out. Think of the epic Marvel movie marathon you could have.

Ichneumon
2010-07-26, 03:35 PM
I once did a Star Wars marathon, starting at episode 1 and ending at 6. It was tiresome the first few hours, but as the night went on, it became better and better.

BendakStarkiler
2010-07-26, 03:40 PM
I've done it with Star Wars before, watched all six in a day. But it literally took all day, with like half hour or 45 min breaks in between it was cool, but your burnt on the material at the end of it. To make it more enjoyable you need good friends and a good sense of humor. We are always threatening doing an all day Gundam Wing fest with all 49 episodes and the two hour movie but that adds up to be 22 plus hours without breaks so its never happened... one day maybe one day.

The J Pizzel
2010-07-26, 04:21 PM
My friends and I have done way too many of these...

I've done a Lord of the Rings Extended Version marathon.
I've done all 6 Star Wars.
I've done all 3 Bourne movies (regretably we started late, so we didn't finish up till around 2am).
I've done a Rocky marathon. My older brother grew up on Rocky so him and I did this one together.
I've done a Terminator marathon. See above.
I've done a Predator marathon. See above.
I've done an Alien marathon. See above.
(my brother and I needed some lives back then)
I've done a Underworld and Resident Evil marathon in one weekend!!!

I'm sure I've done more and just can't think...

Also, my best friend just started dating a new girl. The new girlfriend (Paige) is a huge Harry Potter fan, as is my wife. I've seen them all and own them all but my friend Calvin hasn't.

So, not this weekend but next, it looks like a Harry Potter marathon is in the works.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-26, 04:23 PM
I don't know how anyone can do all six star wars films. I'd understand mocking the 1-3 but that's still 6 hours of bad movie.

Brewdude
2010-07-26, 04:39 PM
Good two day marathons? Entire seasons of Survivor. My personal favorite season was Vanatu (season 9), as far as the story of the season, but Pearl Island (Season 7) has the best three moments of survivor history.
(There have been two seasons of Survivor each year since fall 1999. This fall will begin Season 21). The only seasons one can buy legally are 1,2,7,8,9,and 10 (to my knowledge) but the rest of the seasons can be found via google fu.

Starfols
2010-07-27, 02:36 AM
I watched the original Star Wars trilogy in a marathon recently. Happiest day in recent memory, I hadn't seen them in ages. :smallcool:

I've been thinking about marathoning movies I haven't seen, but should have (back to the future, aliens, rocky, etc.)

Athaniar
2010-07-27, 06:52 AM
I don't know how anyone can do all six star wars films. I'd understand mocking the 1-3 but that's still 6 hours of bad movie.
Not everyone hates the prequels. I find them enjoyable, although not as much as the original trilogy,

SDF
2010-07-27, 09:05 AM
I tried to do a Ninja Turtles marathon in the 8th grade with a friend. We got about half way through the first one before we decided to call it off because the movies sucked a lot more than we remembered.

Dread Cthulhu
2010-07-27, 10:11 AM
Do you really need to watch 4 and 5 in you list?

Yes. Part of the reason for that sort of marathon is just to have other people to watch it with. On your own it's just depressing, with others it turns into MST3K.

factotum
2010-07-27, 12:19 PM
I did a couple of All Night Film Shows at University--can't even remember now what the movies were; pretty sure Dead Calm was one, but the others all blur into each other.

YPU
2010-07-27, 12:31 PM
I used to do this quite a bit with my girlfriend, sadly now we dont seem to have the time to do this, tough we recently decided we really should do one again.

Anyhow, from what I can remember we did:
Lord of the Rings I am pretty sure we have done this at least twice but I think three times, and that's the extended edition, we would spend an entire weekend on it, taking into account compensating for lost sleep etz.

star wars, all 6, I used my initial optimism to get trough the first 3 and what can I say, I am easily pleased, as long as there are lasers and space ships and monsters I tend to be happy enough, bad movie or nor.

Back to the future This one really lacks a final punch in my opinion, the last movie seems to take a big step back in epicnes of proportions which is a pity, its a good movie but not the best one to end on.

Avatar the last airbender The story gets a lot better when watched in one straight sit, but the fillers do become more obvious.

Startrek My girlfriend is a trecky and we have on many a occasion watched large numbers of episodes in succession.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-27, 06:11 PM
Not everyone hates the prequels. I find them enjoyable, although not as much as the original trilogy,

Even with these guys:

http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/files/2009/09/jar_jar_binks_large1.jpg

http://www.fabbricantidiuniversi.it/starwars/immagini/anakinskywalker.jpg

I don't know which one I hate more.:smallannoyed:

Also, I kind of want to have a Seth Rogen movie marathon:

-40 Year Old Virgin
-Knocked Up
-Funny People

Those are the only films where he plays a main character that I find good.

Athaniar
2010-07-27, 06:56 PM
I tolerated them. Sure, Jar Jar was annoying, and Anakin was pretty emotional, but not enough that I consider the films bad, and certainly not unwatchable. There are plenty of great characters, such as Palpatine, Dooku, and Windu.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-27, 07:01 PM
There are plenty of great characters, such as Palpatine, Dooku, and Windu.

Yes Count Dooku, son of Lord and Lady Poopie.
And let's not forget Mace Windu played by an actor whose range includes "English motha****er! Do you speak it?!" and "I've had it with these Motha****ing snakes on this Motha****ing plane!"

snoopy13a
2010-07-27, 07:46 PM
Batman: The Movie - This one held our attention best, mostly because it was first. It's totally worthwhile and completely hilarious, though whether that's intentional or not we had no idea.

Yeah, it is intentionally campy. Most people either love it or hate it. I happen to love it.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-27, 08:19 PM
Yeah, it is intentionally campy. Most people either love it or hate it. I happen to love it.

That's the one with bat shark repellent, right?

snoopy13a
2010-07-27, 08:24 PM
That's the one with bat shark repellent, right?

Yup, that's right.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-27, 08:26 PM
Yup, that's right.

Really? I've never heard of a bat shark before and are they that common they have their own repellent?

Demons_eye
2010-07-27, 08:49 PM
Really? I've never heard of a bat shark before and are they that common they have their own repellent?

In batman they are

Capt Spanner
2010-07-28, 12:25 PM
I've done the Firefly Marathon once (all Firefly episodes, the film and - because everyone wanted more - Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog at the end) which was great.

I really want to do a Heath Ledger marathon:

10 Things I Hate About You, A Knight's Tale, The Brothers Grimm, Brokeback Mountain, The Dark Knight and The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus all in the same day.

hamishspence
2010-07-28, 02:10 PM

There's a bat ray:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_ray

but not a bat shark. In Batman- everything he uses seems to be prefixed with the word bat- Bat-phone, Bat-plane, Bat-shark repellent.

Though I'm guessing everybody already knew that.

TheThan
2010-07-28, 02:23 PM
The obvious ones to do are star wars (got to include the Ewok movies in that), and lord of the rings. But that’s not all. The best one to do are the ones where there are more than 3 films in the series, here’s some franchise to look at:

Rocky
Rambo
Superman
Batman
Alien/ predator films (either alone or together)
Star trek
Harry Potter
Terminator
Back to the future
Friday the 13th
Nightmare on Elm street

Athaniar
2010-07-28, 02:57 PM
Yes Count Dooku, son of Lord and Lady Poopie.
And let's not forget Mace Windu played by an actor whose range includes "English motha****er! Do you speak it?!" and "I've had it with these Motha****ing snakes on this Motha****ing plane!"
There is no accounting for taste, I guess. Lee and Jackson are two of my favorite actors.

Lord Loss
2010-07-28, 03:01 PM
My friends and I are doing a horror-athon soon, but we're considering a Potter-Athon (If we do it, and we come out sane, I'll tell y'all about it).

CurlyKitGirl
2010-07-28, 03:22 PM
First time I ever saw the LotR trilogy was last Christmas. In a marathon format.
It was tiring, oh so tiring, but the epic scope of watching them one after the other was well worth it.

I've done many a Disney (Animated Canon) marathon where I themed it or didn't, and that was always fantastic. Even when I had the Abominations Unto Koorly night where I watched the Disney films I hated the most.

An Indiana Iones marathon'd be worth the time too, iust don't watch the fourth one - or if you do then don't include it as part of the trilogy. Very 1930s camp adventure genre.

But at the moment I'm in a long haul sci-fi marathon. Star Trek and Doctor Who at the same time. TOS and TNG including all the movies and all of Doctor Who from first to last.
OH so very awesome, cheesy, silly, wonderful, fun, fantastic gold!

And of course at university we have a movie night every other week, or more often than that. Quite short as far as movie marathons go; only about four or five hours, but extremely enioyable, whatever's watched.
Make sure you have lots of food and drink at hand, they will be needed.

Athaniar
2010-07-28, 03:44 PM
But at the moment I'm in a long haul sci-fi marathon. Star Trek and Doctor Who at the same time. TOS and TNG including all the movies and all of Doctor Who from first to last.
OH so very awesome, cheesy, silly, wonderful, fun, fantastic gold!
That'll just take, what, a year and a half? Two?

EDIT: Slight overestimation, it would take just approximately 23 days, 10 hours, and 12 minutes, without any break.

Advice: don't watch 23 days of sci-fi without a break. Sleep is your friend!

Dread Cthulhu
2010-07-28, 05:35 PM
I am considering a Firefly marathon, although most of the social group isn't familiar with it.

I was thinking of doing a Christopher Nolan marathon, but since two of them are the Batmans that might have to wait a bit. :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2010-07-28, 06:02 PM
There is no accounting for taste, I guess. Lee and Jackson are two of my favorite actors.

Lee and Jackson are great actors, but the thing about Jackson is he excels in roles where he gets to be REALLY aggressive. Look at his filmography. When you put him in a role where he has to be this humble, enlightened, peaceful type he's really bland.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-07-28, 06:17 PM
That'll just take, what, a year and a half? Two?

EDIT: Slight overestimation, it would take just approximately 23 days, 10 hours, and 12 minutes, without any break.

Advice: don't watch 23 days of sci-fi without a break. Sleep is your friend!

Eh, I'm a university student. I've got that long. Also, it's only twenty three days for iust one of those - I think Doctor Who, but I can be sure.
As it is, my latest episode of Star Trek was Amok Time, so I'm working on it.

I will have to sleep at some point though. Maybe once every three days? For a few hours perhaps. Iust to get a rebooted system.
So much geekery will need time to be taken in properly an digested after all.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-29, 05:53 AM
I've been having a Samurai Champloo marathon over the past few days.

Eldan
2010-07-29, 06:58 AM
Eh, I'm a university student. I've got that long. Also, it's only twenty three days for iust one of those - I think Doctor Who, but I can be sure.
As it is, my latest episode of Star Trek was Amok Time, so I'm working on it.

I will have to sleep at some point though. Maybe once every three days? For a few hours perhaps. Iust to get a rebooted system.
So much geekery will need time to be taken in properly an digested after all.

What kind of university gives you 23 days off? I mean, I have a few hours off every day, sure, and more than most people, but I haven't had 23 days in a row of not having a lot of work to do.

Yora
2010-07-29, 07:33 AM
When Return of the King was released, I went to a screening of all three movies on the evening before opening day. Thankfully it was only the theatrical cut, but we stumbled home around 3:30 in the morning.
It was fun to do once, but I don't want to repeat it. :smallbiggrin:

At my university, the semester stopped last week and won't start again until mid-october.
Some students have lots of things to do over the three months, other of us only have to write two 12-page papers. :smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2010-07-29, 07:40 AM
My semester stopped back in June. Which makes no difference, I had two lectures per week, the rest was lab work, which just continues in the "holidays". More of it, actually, since we now have the time to work all five days of the week, since Mondays are now lecture free. And we get to "volunteer" for more field work on Saturdays.

Of course, our university also had the bright idea to put the exams at the end of the semester breaks (a week before the new semester starts), so that students could use all the lecture free time to prepare for the exams. Which are then made more difficult to account for the two months of free studying time we had. Which results in the wonderful "two weeks of holidays per year" effect. Which will be spent trying to find a flat and convincing your professor to give you more work.

No Sir, I'm not bitter at all.

Cespenar
2010-07-29, 08:00 AM
Me and my friends once marathon'd Trigun in one sit.

After that, we realized it was not that good of an idea.

Edit: Oh, and a second time, we decided to marathon Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, but after 10 or so episodes, wisdom came back to us and we called it a day.

Yora
2010-07-29, 08:03 AM
Well, I have friends who study Biology and IT at the same university, and they also always work for almost the entire 3 months.
Yes, it's true: Cultural sciences students really have nothing to do. Even our weekly schedule is barely as much as others have in two days.

Eldan
2010-07-29, 08:11 AM
Ah, one of those people. Like my english literature friend who had four hours of lectures per week.

Lucky Bastard.

Cespenar
2010-07-29, 08:21 AM
Ah, one of those people. Like my english literature friend who had four hours of lectures per week.

Lucky Bastard.

Four hours. What.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-29, 12:16 PM
I need to have a MST3K marathon one of these days. I have a bunch of their episodes.

Archonic Energy
2010-07-29, 12:34 PM

What is this TOS you are talking about... :smallwink:
i'm going to do a LotR marathon when they get around to releasing the extended versions on Blu-Ray

TheEmerged
2010-07-29, 12:46 PM
Back when I first got a DvD player, among the first DvD sets I got were seasons 1 & 2 of an older Japanese animation series called StarBlazers. This was one of my favoriate cartoons growing up. I had a then-rare weekend off, so I resolved to watch all of the first season on Saturday and all of the second season on Sunday.

I remembered going into it that the second season wasn't as good. It had aged even worse than I thought it had :smallcool:

Brewdude
2010-07-29, 02:01 PM
The obvious ones to do are star wars (got to include the Ewok movies in that), and lord of the rings. But that’s not all. The best one to do are the ones where there are more than 3 films in the series, here’s some franchise to look at:

Rocky
Rambo
Superman
Batman
Alien/ predator films (either alone or together)
Star trek
Harry Potter
Terminator
Back to the future
Friday the 13th
Nightmare on Elm street

How can you list these franchises and miss good ol' 007?

James Bond

factotum
2010-07-30, 01:33 AM
What kind of university gives you 23 days off? I mean, I have a few hours off every day, sure, and more than most people, but I haven't had 23 days in a row of not having a lot of work to do.

All of the UK ones do! The summer holiday for university students in the UK is twelve weeks long, and you don't generally get a lot of homework during that holiday because it's in between the academic years.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-30, 06:25 AM

Winter break?