PDA

View Full Version : Make der steam go faster

Project_Mayhem
2010-07-26, 07:49 AM
So this might be a stupid question, but I'm trying to install Fear 2 on Steam. The downloader is guessing about 11 hours to go.

Is there anyway of speeding this up? Shutting down other stuff? Fiddling with Steam? Sacrificing a goat?

Trixie
2010-07-26, 07:57 AM
Buying the box version, instead of that abomination? :smalltongue:

Well, to be honest, your post has far too little details, including the maximum speed of your connection, way it is set up, and % the Steam uses of such connection, to help in any way.

Arbitrarity
2010-07-26, 07:59 AM
How fast is that downloading? Steam is capped by your download bandwidth. I get about 500-600 kb/sec, and since FEAR 2 is about 12 GB, I suspect it would take me about 7 hours to download.

Check your max download speed with Speedtest (http://www.speedtest.net/), but it's likely you've just maxed your bandwidth.

Project_Mayhem
2010-07-26, 08:07 AM
Buying the box version, instead of that abomination?

Well the problem with that is I'm as isolated as its probably possible to be in England, and I don't drive.

I dunno what the internet set up is - I'm bumming round my Dads house on my own for a few weeks. Assume I know barely anything about how my computer works.

Is there anyway to make the entire connection work on steam? I'm going out in a bit, so I can shut everything else down

Smight
2010-07-26, 08:37 AM
What is your download region in Steam settings?

Project_Mayhem
2010-07-26, 08:47 AM
Steam London

Why?

Trixie
2010-07-26, 09:03 AM
Well the problem with that is I'm as isolated as its probably possible to be in England, and I don't drive.

*cough* Delivery by mail *cough* :smallwink:

I dunno what the internet set up is - I'm bumming round my Dads house on my own for a few weeks. Assume I know barely anything about how my computer works.

You don't even know how quick it is? :smallconfused:

How do you know it isn't using all you've got already?

AlterForm
2010-07-26, 09:38 AM
Steam London

Why?

Changing download regions can sometimes have unexpectedly improved results in terms of download speed.

Project_Mayhem
2010-07-26, 12:54 PM
Ahh. Well, my ignorance has been shown. I decided just to roll with it and wait 5 hours. That'll make it the middle of the night over here, which is clearly the best time to play horror games