PDA

View Full Version : belkar to die sooner than expected?

grimbold
2010-07-26, 07:54 AM
All other references are to relative time...no matter which calendar Redcloak uses, a year is a year, and during the Gobbotopia scenes he announced that it was six years until the one-year-anniversary of the battle. Since the battle took place about a week after the New Year, that means two weeks have passed since Roy's "seven weeks" comment--a few days to travel to Sandsedge, a week spent searching the desert, and a few days looking around the cities on the continent.

This is from The Giant. I know a lot of people have thought that Belkar has about 5 weeks remaining, but i suspect it is more lie 3.5 to 4, It was like 3 days to sandseged, 7 days in the desert searching, and several days searching the cities, the cities probably took more than 4 days, as i recall there were about 10 cities so traveling and searching probably took 10 days. Then it has been 2 days since the arrest, so i am thinking that there has been maybe 24 days since the 7 weeks comment. This suggest 3.5-4 weeks left for belkar :(. Also note how the giant does not say he has 5 weeks left, leaving this open to interpretation.

Ancalagon
2010-07-26, 09:00 AM
Well, that would depend on your expection, no?

The times when Belkar is due to leave this world have been discussed a lot and your estimate of like 2 to 5 weeks is in that range. That seems to be the time Belkar has left...

Now... someone shows up and says a) Belkar is not going to die for real or b) Belkar will die but go on to be part of the story as undead or getting resurrected... 3, 2, 1... ;)

grimbold
2010-07-26, 09:22 AM
nice name fyi i got the refrence, and yeah sadly ur right about the next post. I think that 3.5-4 weeks is gunna be it tho.. however it could be less just bc/ hes dyin b4 the new year not neccesarily at it.

Boogastreehouse
2010-07-26, 01:10 PM
Now... someone shows up and says a) Belkar is not going to die for real or b) Belkar will die but go on to be part of the story as undead or getting resurrected... 3, 2, 1... ;)

I realize that each time someone suggests that Belkar will remain in the story as a non-breathing, undead, demonic plant-golem, it seems like a new and original idea to the person posting it, but it's seriously driving me crazy how many times I've seen the same weak attempt at a loophole presented and subsequently shot down on the forums.

I'm pretty confident that when Belkar dies he'll still be in the story, and we'll get to see just what the evil afterlife is like. I suspect he'll get a grand tour similar to Roy's tour of Celestia so that we can get a good idea of what the infernal parts of Rich's world are like.

I have also been predicting that V will go to Hell at some point, while paying off his/her soul-debt, and have an extra-dimensional side-adventure with the Late Belkar.

sihnfahl
2010-07-26, 01:24 PM
I have also been predicting that V will go to Hell at some point, while paying off his/her soul-debt, and have an extra-dimensional side-adventure with the Late Belkar
His soul-debt is 44 minutes, 17 seconds, I believe. That'd be a pretty quick side-adventure.

Zevox
2010-07-26, 01:28 PM
Considering the 5 weeks number comes from the Giant, no, you'd be wrong.

Anybody have that post bookmarked? I know some people have reposted links to it recently, so someone must.

Zevox

hamishspence
2010-07-26, 03:13 PM
Found it:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8569129&postcount=19

Ancalagon
2010-07-26, 03:14 PM
His soul-debt is 44 minutes, 17 seconds, I believe. That'd be a pretty quick side-adventure.

No, you got this wrong: The fiends control the soul for that amount of time. The hell-thing comes from Familicide and other evil or questionably evil things Vaarsuvius did since #1 and before. The latter is... eternity if Vaarsuvius has enough bad karma.

Bongos
2010-07-26, 08:38 PM
From the prediction Belkar has a maximum of 5 weeks left. He could die anytime between now and then and the prophesy would still be accurate.

grimbold
2010-07-27, 05:01 AM
that would be very interesting if he killed off belkar a lot sooner than the new year.
I am wondering if the giant is almost unwilling to kill belkar off because of the sheer amount of punchlines he has. it would require some reworking of the comic. Also what would happen to his cat? i like the cat!

Ancalagon
2010-07-27, 06:49 AM
Also what would happen to his cat? i like the cat!

Apparently, Durkon is very able to take care of Mr. Scruffy.

Fishman
2010-07-27, 08:19 AM
Whatever happens, I think the cat will be fine. Cats are survivors. Let's not forget Mr. Scruffy survived just fine as a feral between the fall of the city and the time Belkar picked him up. Mr. Scruffy is a proven survivor and will likely be fine no matter what happens to Belkar.

grimbold
2010-07-27, 10:23 AM
ok thankyou for that reassurance- i like cats i am petting mine right now actully

Bongos
2010-07-27, 11:54 AM
Mr. Scruffy survived the death of his previous owner Shojo, he shall survive his new master Belkar. Indeed Mr. Scruffy shall survive Oots, Xykon and the Snarl. Such is his destiny...

Prowl
2010-07-27, 12:01 PM
Apparently, Durkon is very able to take care of Mr. Scruffy.

I'm afraid you don't understand cats at all.

Mr. Scruffy is perfectly capable of taking care of himself, but he is amused by the tribute offered to him by the oversized bipeds he keeps on staff.

Ancalagon
2010-07-27, 03:41 PM
I'm afraid you don't understand cats at all.

No, I do. Someone was concerned about Mr. Scruffy. I pointed out Durkon is a good replacement can-opener. So, which someone new who gives out food (whenever the cat wants it) and pets the cat (if the cat wants it), the cat has all it ever wants.

With someone like Durkon around who is strong about his duties no one has to worry about Mr. Scruffy should Belkar leave the mortal plane (the thing is we know Durkon ALSO is scheduled for de-bodyfication, but that's a different matter).

grimbold
2010-07-27, 04:34 PM
so who comes after durkon, i am concerned for this cat!
well now that i think of it probbly celia as she loves animals. 'she knows dogs cant have chocolate but she doesn't know humans can't shoot magic out of their fingers?" and celia has at least met mr scruffy on their adventures to the oracle w/ haley and belkar.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-27, 04:52 PM
Belkar will be reincarnated as whatever the MitD is so two oots mysteries will be resolves instantaneously.

Kish
2010-07-27, 09:45 PM
With someone like Durkon around who is strong about his duties no one has to worry about Mr. Scruffy should Belkar leave the mortal plane (the thing is we know Durkon ALSO is scheduled for de-bodyfication, but that's a different matter).
No part of Durkon's prophecy says ever. His prophecy, unlike Belkar's, can be fulfilled by him being dead for thirty seconds, after which he can retire happily home--with his new cat, if applicable.

Zevox
2010-07-27, 09:50 PM
No part of Durkon's prophecy says ever. His prophecy, unlike Belkar's, can be fulfilled by him being dead for thirty seconds, after which he can retire happily home--with his new cat, if applicable.
Personally, that strikes me as unlikely, as it would be a pretty boring way to resolve the prophecy.

Zevox

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-28, 12:31 AM
so who comes after durkon, i am concerned for this cat!
In DStP, Hinjo says he'll look after Mr Scruffy when Belkar returns to serve his unfinished prison sentence.

But regardless, I have a pretty strong feeling that Mr Scruffy will be just fine.

LuPuWei
2010-07-28, 01:35 AM
...(the thing is we know Durkon ALSO is scheduled for de-bodyfication, but that's a different matter).

Wow, sounds like Scruffy is now the Travelling Cat of Foreshadowing Death...

Ancalagon
2010-07-28, 02:12 AM
No part of Durkon's prophecy says ever. His prophecy, unlike Belkar's, can be fulfilled by him being dead for thirty seconds

As stated numerous times before, I think it won't be forever. But it also won't be forever. He'll be dead for the time it takes the order to drag his dead body from the desert to the ice...

[/quote]after which he can retire happily home--with his new cat, if applicable.[/QUOTE]

Sure. But someone had to take the cat along and take care of him during Durkon's absence.

The_Final_Stand
2010-07-28, 02:07 PM
Sooner than expected? I'm not sure that that is applicable, since any point between the prophecy and the new year still fulfills the prophecy. How could it be sooner than expected if it lies within the timeframe given?

On Mr Scruffy: He will likely go on to a successful life as Xykons cat, which he shall stroke and have occaisional Bond Villain moments.

Kish
2010-07-28, 02:08 PM
Any time Belkar dies will be "sooner than expected" for all the people on the forum who look for loopholes in the prophecy.

ThePhantasm
2010-08-03, 12:33 PM
The ambiguity of how much time has passed will only help the story because it will make Belkar's death more dramatically surprising. I doubt anyone is going to be able to guess exactly when he will die.