PDA

View Full Version : The giant tips v's gender?

grimbold
2010-07-26, 08:01 AM
I had to invent the "Space Ghost effect" during the Darth V arc because I needed to show the pivotal moment when Vaarsuvius decided to go back and help O-Chul. The scene just didn't work without seeing V's face, but he needed to be invisible. At the time, I used the fiends' TV as an excuse for the change but now that I've used it once, I saw no reason not to use it again if it made the story clearer.

the giant

now most of the contents is unimportant and about the story, from a thread about the art of the characters when they are invisible. However notice, he needed to be invisible, HE when clearly referencing vaarsuvius. is this good enough confirmation that V is a he? (hey that rhymes!)

Shale
2010-07-26, 08:03 AM
The Giant uses "he" for Vaarsuuvius because "he/she" is clunky and cumbersome. It's not a tipoff.

Optimystik
2010-07-26, 08:04 AM
Also, constructs like "hir" and "zer" are complete eyesores.

grimbold
2010-07-26, 08:07 AM
oh ok, now i feel stupid :(. Thanks though, i could have been clueless and believed that and that... would have been inconvenient. Thank-you.

lesser_minion
2010-07-26, 08:08 AM
He just picked the pronoun out of a hat, basically. A lot of people prefer to do that rather than using 'they' when only one person is involved.

You don't need to feel bad about it though. Different people use different conventions here.

Moriarty
2010-07-26, 09:10 AM
He just picked the pronoun out of a hat, basically.

The giant didn't "pick" one pronoun, "he" is the correct pronoun if referring someone of unknown gender.

Cizak
2010-07-26, 11:59 AM
What part of "never" in "I will never reveal the truth! (http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq10)" is so hard to get for some people? :smallsigh:

ss49
2010-07-26, 12:50 PM
{Scrubbed}

Mando Knight
2010-07-26, 12:52 PM
Also, constructs like "hir" and "zer" are complete eyesores.

And "V" as V's pronoun gets awkward after a while.

super dark33
2010-07-26, 02:02 PM
V is not he or she, its shklee

Kish
2010-07-26, 02:04 PM
{Scrubbed}
The signoff should be, "Assertion of unsupported and strange opinion and claim that it wins the debate."

Dr.Epic
2010-07-26, 03:02 PM
Doubtful. Most people use "he" when they don't know the gender of a person. Not to mention the giant will never tell us V's gender. I'm sure just because of you pointing this out the giant will now refer to V as "her," "she," "hers," in a future instance.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-26, 03:06 PM
giant deliberately hides it and uses whatever convention he likes.
Mine is interchanging Male and Female pronouns.

V can use her spells when he feels like it, and no one would ever harm him if she uses his cute face. Not that it ever works, as she has a horrible charisma score.

Morgan Wick
2010-07-26, 09:21 PM
Doubtful. Most people use "he" when they don't know the gender of a person. Not to mention the giant will never tell us V's gender. I'm sure just because of you pointing this out the giant will now refer to V as "her," "she," "hers," in a future instance.

No, because that would lead to even more people claiming "OMG Giant reveals V's gender OMG!!111111!!!!!eleven!" because he can't use the "he is used for unknown gender" excuse.

the_tick_rules
2010-07-26, 09:24 PM
Yeah, this has been done before. but kudos for sharp observational skills.

grimbold
2010-07-27, 04:58 AM
im wondering if the giant realizes that threads like this would be the consequence of having an androgynous main character

Conuly
2010-07-27, 06:23 AM
im wondering if the giant realizes that threads like this would be the consequence of having an androgynous main character

If it were *my* comic, I'd have an androgynous main character JUST for the "threads like this". (If it were my comic, it wouldn't be nearly so good, but let's pretend here.)

super dark33
2010-07-27, 06:27 AM
now, from now on: we shell not tell Vaarsavius as ''he'' or ''she'', it will be ''shklee''

now V is shklee a male or female?

Adeptus
2010-07-27, 06:35 AM
{Scrubbed}

:confused:

Boogastreehouse
2010-07-27, 06:44 AM
Well, the Giant has said that he already knows what the last panel of the Order of the Stick will be; maybe there the final secret will be revealed...?

I don't actually believe that, by the way.

Ancalagon
2010-07-27, 06:47 AM
Well, the Giant has said that he already knows what the last panel of the Order of the Stick will be

Really? Where?

And of course he does. It will be "The End" or a sunrise or something like that.
The last panel isn't interesting. The 1000 (or whatever) comics that come before the last panel are. ;)

Barstro
2010-07-27, 07:35 AM
The giant didn't "pick" one pronoun, "he" is the correct pronoun if referring someone of unknown gender.

Are you sure? (not saying that you are wrong, just checking for confirmation). I always thought that you used the masculine for an unknown person/people. (ie "Dear Sir" when writing to a department head when you do not know the person's name) but not necessarily for a known person of unknown sex; like my cousin's "friend". I have a feeling that person might get upset if I incorrectly call him/her a him, and will not be any less upset when I point out that "he" is correct because the sex is unknown.:tongue:

I would point out that a lot of the statutes I read use the feminine, but that cannot be considered any sort of proof when those same statutes incorrectly use that/which.

fryplink
2010-07-27, 07:40 AM
Well, the Giant has said that he already knows what the last panel of the Order of the Stick will be; maybe there the final secret will be revealed...?

I don't actually believe that, by the way.

ten bucks says the last page is a splash page with the remaining OotS members (that would be haley, elan and Roy) either crying over durkon, laughing over belkar, happy, or looking off into the sunset

either that or an image of the snarl as it consumes the universe.

Serpentine
2010-07-27, 07:45 AM
{Scrubbed}Sexism, whee?

Allan Surgite
2010-07-27, 07:53 AM
now V is shklee a male or female?
What? This is even harder to understand than ss49's sexism.

Cizak
2010-07-27, 08:14 AM
Really? Where?

And of course he does. It will be "The End" or a sunrise or something like that.
The last panel isn't interesting. The 1000 (or whatever) comics that come before the last panel are. ;)

In the FAQ (http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq27). You know, that thing everyone should read before becoming a member of this forum? :smalltongue:

SmaugTheYounger
2010-07-27, 08:54 AM
All you ever want to know about elven sex, until you are forced to find out:

(Unsure about the occasion, but it would have to include drinks. A lot of it.)

:belkar: This is getting ridiculous. Are you a male, or female?
:sabine: Yeah, answer already!

:vaarsuvius: I really don't know what you mean.
:belkar: Dont be thick! Are you this... (drops pants)
:sabine: ...or this? (lifts skirt).

:vaarsuvius: ...
:vaarsuvius: :smallconfused:
:vaarsuvius: Actually, it's more of this. (lifts robe)

:belkar: ...:smalleek:...
:sabine: ...:smalleek:...

You don't want to go there. :smalltongue:

super dark33
2010-07-27, 09:05 AM
vaarsavius is androgynos, shklee is not male or female but both or none

grimbold
2010-07-27, 10:21 AM
weell this is definitely going in an unexpected direction to say the least :)

runekiri
2010-07-27, 11:17 AM
And "V" as V's pronoun gets awkward after a while.

YOU think V as a pronoun gets awkward?!

Here in sweden, "V" is pronounced exacly like the Swedish word for "We".

Imagine discussing Vaarsuvius, with your friends.

If you also take into account that "is" and "are" are the same word in swedish, it can get really funny.

I was at school when I was talking to a friend, and said "I think V (We) Is (Are) a woman.
I realized how awkward it sounded, and was really lucky no-one heard me say that.

Allan Surgite
2010-07-27, 11:22 AM
vaarsavius is androgynos, shklee is not male or female but both or none
...that isn't what androgynous means. At all.

Roland St. Jude
2010-07-27, 12:17 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Please keep it civil in here and if you could avoid responding to, and especially quoting, blatant rules violations, I'd much appreciate it.

Cizak
2010-07-27, 01:59 PM

If you also take into account that "is" and "are" are the same word in swedish, it can get really funny.

I was at school when I was talking to a friend, and said "I think V (We) Is (Are) a woman.
I realized how awkward it sounded, and was really lucky no-one heard me say that.

Um... hi. I'm from Sweden, and I have nooo idea what You're talking about. "V" is pronouced "Ve" in swedish an "we" is "vi". So no, it's not the same word :smallconfused:

Barstro
2010-07-27, 02:41 PM

But in Sweden, "Vaarsuvius" translates to "Da5id". :wink:

Boogastreehouse
2010-07-27, 03:02 PM
"Da5id"

Reference to Snow Crash?

the Riddler
2010-07-27, 03:05 PM
Funny that nobody's mentioned this before, but, to me, it's pretty obvious that V is not a he nor a she...

V is an idea.

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/381/v20for20vendetta20pic33el.jpg

And ideas are genderproof.

...Sorry, I had to do this.

Faramir
2010-07-27, 03:44 PM
ten bucks says the last page is a splash page with the remaining OotS members (that would be haley, elan and Roy) either crying over durkon, laughing over belkar, happy, or looking off into the sunset

either that or an image of the snarl as it consumes the universe.

With Elan smiling happily as he says "oooh, that's so pretty!" :)

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-28, 12:19 AM
shklee
Okay, that's already getting annoying.

Ancalagon
2010-07-28, 02:58 AM
In the FAQ (http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq27). You know, that thing everyone should read before becoming a member of this forum? :smalltongue:

Read it several times over the years. Sorry I don't re-memorise it every six months.

Serpentine
2010-07-28, 03:05 AM
As well you should be.

Barstro
2010-07-28, 09:43 AM
Reference to Snow Crash?

Aye. (and a bunch of other characters so that I can post "Aye")

Cizak
2010-07-28, 10:58 AM
Read it several times over the years. Sorry I don't re-memorise it every six months.

I guess you didn't notice that blue face in the end of my post? As in, "But it's totally understandable if you don't remember it, and of course you must've read it some time if you're an ogre in the playground." But yeah, you should be sorry.