View Full Version : [PF]Paladin Advice and Feat Selection

QuantumSteve
2010-07-26, 09:54 AM
I'm making a Lv 1 character to join the following group in a 12 level campaign:

Human Fighter(Melee)
Human Rogue(Ranged)
Halfling Bard(Ranged)
Drow Sorcerer(Blaster)

I want to make a Pally and decided on Elf so I can hassle the Drow (All in good fun :) Party needs a frontliner, so picked I THF. Rolled scores: 17 17 14 13 11 10. Here's my preliminary build:

Str 17
Dex 15
Con 12
Int 12
Wis 11
Cha 17

Feats:
1: Power Attack
3: Cleave
5: Step Up
7: Vital Strike
9: Improve Critical (Elven Curve Blade)
11: Improved Vital Strike

Any advice or comments would be appreciated. Particularly, should I swap Str and Con for more Hp? Would both Cleave and Vital Strike be redundant?(things to do with a Standard Action) Which is better? I'm also thinking of squeezing Deadly Aim for some ranged support. If I were to squeeze in a level of Fighter, when would be best? After Lay on Hands? Divine Grace? or wait until Divine Bond?

Paul H
2010-07-26, 10:22 AM
Hi

I'd definitely swap the Str/Con stats.

Have you thought about a (single) level dip into (Draconic) Sorceror to go Dragon Disciple? You get access to some good Wand selections (Shield is one.).

Use the spells to support your combat abilities: Alter Self for +2 Size bonus to Str, etc.

Cheers
Paul H

n00b killa
2010-07-26, 11:10 AM
A lvl 1 Tank on a lvl 12 Party?

Won't you be slaughtered rather quickly?

Hurlbut
2010-07-26, 12:38 PM
n00b killa: Obviously he meant a 12lvl character, look at his feat list.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated. Particularly, should I swap Str and Con for more Hp? Would both Cleave and Vital Strike be redundant?(things to do with a Standard Action) Which is better? I'm also thinking of squeezing Deadly Aim for some ranged support. If I were to squeeze in a level of Fighter, when would be best? After Lay on Hands? Divine Grace? or wait until Divine Bond?
You said you're focusing on damage dishing (by "frontliner")?
Don't get a level of fighter, all you're really getting is just *one* bonus feat. With Paladin, you don't miss out on anything on all levels.

Twilight Jack
2010-07-26, 12:53 PM
I think what he meant was that he's creating a Lvl 1 character for a game that will span 12 levels. Hence, he's creating a first level character, but planning him up to level 12.

Hurlbut
2010-07-26, 01:05 PM
I think what he meant was that he's creating a Lvl 1 character for a game that will span 12 levels. Hence, he's creating a first level character, but planning him up to level 12.That's not really accurate. He probably left off the 2 by accident.

QuantumSteve
2010-07-26, 06:11 PM
I think what he meant was that he's creating a Lvl 1 character for a game that will span 12 levels. Hence, he's creating a first level character, but planning him up to level 12.

This is what I meant. I apologize for any confusion.

Have you thought about a (single) level dip into (Draconic) Sorceror to go Dragon Disciple? You get access to some good Wand selections (Shield is one.).

Use the spells to support your combat abilities: Alter Self for +2 Size bonus to Str, etc.

Cheers
Paul H
I considered it, but our current sorc is already of the Draconic persuasion, but mainly I'm reluctant to devote many levels to a Prestige Class obecause I'm looking forward to the better Pally abilities. Also, this is my first time playing PF Pally so I don't want to miss out.
Just a 1 level dip in Sorc would net me some decent wands, as you say, though. I hadn't considered that. Thanks.