PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious Island IC

Critical
2010-07-26, 11:47 AM
It has been a long seven days for you to get to the newly-discovered island, dubbed "The Mysterious Island", spending seven days and nights on a ship was pretty exhausting for those inexperienced with the sailing - not only the sea sickness, which quite a lot of passengers have picked up, but also the everyday fish, served for breakfast, lunch and dinner, that may have even worsened the occasional vomiting of the weak-stomached.

The ship you are in holds, to your surprise, mostly research parties instead of mercenary or adventuring ones, talking about how exciting it would be to study the island, mixed with some that were in doubt that the island holds anything worthy, mixed with the stories of the past works and discoveries and the general all around scientific chit-chat. However, it didn't have a particular lack of the adventurer material either - a five or so groups, consisting of three or four people who were well armed and equipped inhabited the ship too, however, there was one amongst them that was different from the others - a kobold with strange markings of platinum color all over his body, an elf in bright red robes, indicating, that he's a graduate from the wizard school and a human in a chain shirt with a greatsword sheathed on his back - probably the most non-social and the strongest of the rest groups, which seemed to be plotting something.

On the morning of the eighth day, you wake up to the cheerful cries. Getting up from your rooms on the ship's deck along with some other people, you can finally see the long-awaited island (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6SDIpETcgE) on the horizon - an island, that appears to have a dense jungle all over it's area, except for a large volcano that could be seen, rising from somewhere in the middle of the island and a sandy coastal area. In an hour or two, the boat approached a freshly-built pier with about a dozen ships floating on the water near it and a quite big city of tents on the sand. The sailors quickly set up a ramp and everyone starts leaving the ship, each going to it's own affairs - the research parties join their colleagues, scattered across the city, mercenary and adventuring groups go off to do their own bidding pretty quickly as well, leaving you standing there alone. A middle-aged, almost fully bald with grey hair where he has it, gnome sitting in a tent, which appears to be some kind of store, with a wooden sign nailed on top of it, "Wizzle's Wares" written on it messily with white paint.

"Oy, you! Adventurers! Get over here, Wizzle'll tell you about the place!" - he calls out excitingly as he sees you.

Gray Mage
2010-07-26, 12:49 PM
Neil
A tall young man in blue looks around as everyone else leaves the ship, in his face the look of a dreamer, as if he's not there in full.He has a rapier straped to his belt and in his back there is a crossbow and, curiously, a lute."My, my, it seems we are the only ones alone, aren't we?-he says to whom also stayed in the ship, before introducing himself with a smile.Name's Neil, pleased to meet you.

When the gnome addresses him, he turns around to face him-"Oh, thank you, every piece of information will be very wellcomed, indeed."

How about we start with an bardic knowledge and an local check?
Bardic [roll0]
Local [roll1]

Critical
2010-07-26, 01:13 PM
Neil
There's not much known about the island as it was discovered recently, however, you do know that a lot of researchers, mercenaries, adventurers and hunters come to the island. You also know, that typically, researchers offer those mentioned all kinds of favors they don't have time or strength to do.

Da'Shain
2010-07-26, 01:26 PM
Feth Khorneyn

It had been his first boat trip of any significant length, and while the diet had been nothing he wasn't used to from long months spent with only a stream as a food source, the rolling and swaying of the ship on the sometimes choppy waves had taken its toll on his small body. It was not an experience he looked forward to repeating, and consequently it had made him more crabby and reserved than normal, failing to secure any work as a wilderness guide from the less experienced researchers.

Descending the gangplank, Feth shoulders his backpack easily, his tattooed gray features still looking slightly more ashen than normal from the trip. With practiced fingers he makes sure that his two quivers were secure, adjusting the longbow to a comfortable position around his left shoulder. As he reacquainted himself with the stationary ground once more, a tall human youth addresses him and several other stragglers; Feth grimaces, and nods once in what he hopes is a polite enough manner to save him from having to say much. "Well met," he mutters noncommittally, his voice gravelly and deep for a gnome.

Hearing the old gnome's exhortations, Feth makes his way over to the tent, taking in Wizzle's grizzled appearance and inclining his head briefly in respect. Seeing a gnome here makes him think of his homeland for the first time in what seems months. He waits for the rest of the leftovers to sidle over as he mulls over what little he was able to glean about the island during the trip, both from the crew and from rumors bandied about.

Some Knowledge rolls are a good way to start off, agreed.

I'll roll Knowledge (Geography) to see if I was able to get a description of local landmarks (towns, rivers, caves, etc.) from anyone on the ship.
[roll0]

Also a Knowledge (Nature) check to see if there was any useful information about the local fauna (for example, what creatures to hunt, and what to stay away from).
[roll1]

Da'Shain
2010-07-26, 01:27 PM
Bleh, messed up the rolls by previewing the post before I posted. Here they are:
Knowledge (Geography)
[roll0]
Knowledge (Nature
[roll1]

Sorry for double post.

Critical
2010-07-26, 01:30 PM
Feth
It's an Island. With a jungle. It has a volcano in the middle. :smallbiggrin:

Next time, roll in the OOC thread to not clutter the thread.

Gray Mage
2010-07-26, 03:27 PM
So, Wizzle, right? Pray tell me, have they found anything interresting in the island yet?-he says as he aproaches the store, looking what kind of wares the gnome sells.

Private-Prinny
2010-07-26, 07:35 PM
Out of the brush comes a young human, wearing a small bit of armor with an insignia of a dragon. About medium height, with brown hair a few inches long.

Ah, good, some people. I was starting to think I was alone here.

His eyes wander over to the gnome's tent. So, what are you doing here on this island?

Cheetah109
2010-07-27, 12:24 AM
Derik

A relatively tall halfling in treated animal hides walks up to the balding gnome, his hand resting on the hilt of his greatsword in a relaxed, but ready, manner. He eyes over the gnome, seeming not to trust him at first, but eventually extends an arm out to the gnome.

"I'll hear you out. Please, do explain what this island is for me. You see, I'm here by accident, and am unprepared for a place such as this."

Fiat Lux
2010-07-27, 12:34 AM
The trip had been a lengthy one, and Calidor Teyn had enjoyed every minute of it. Even the seasickness, being a malady to which he was usually not prone, he had examined with a morbid fascination, watching the contents of his stomach swirling away down the ship's side like base poetry. The other passengers he had been equally as fascinated with, spending his hours in conversation with those researchers who seemed inclined towards conversation (and more than a few who weren't), drawing the fine strands of their experiences from them and savoring the newness.

And now, as he steps off the gangplank to the green wood of the fresh-built pier, he breathes in the colliding scents of the ocean and the new island sprawling before him, drawing the camp scents into his lungs, savoring the good and bad as the other parties filed past him and the few remaining stragglers.

And what was this? The local welcoming committee, or a con-man (a con-gnome?) out to fleece unsuspecting newcomers? Either way, his interest is piqued, and he trails behind the few already flocking to the gnome merchant's banner of welcome, listening intently with the perpetually amused half-smile with which he had begun this particular journey still entrenched firmly in the lines of his face.

Maeglin_Dubh
2010-07-28, 10:42 AM
Adjusting the position of his waterskins, Ceorl made his way down the gangplank of the ship he had arrived in, seeing a few others he recognized from the voyage congregating in the distance. As he got closer, he saw the gnome that was their focal point, jabbering excitedly.

He checked that his knives and food satchel were secure, and made his way to join the slowly gathering crowd.

Critical
2010-07-29, 05:35 AM
As Neil approaches to see what the gnome's selling, he notices that the gnome sells lots of different things: weapons, clothes, some armor, various flasks with different liquids, even some little animals! He also appears to have a laboratory of some kind in there, with some mechanical device on the table.

Wizzle appears to be all ready to start his, judging by the look, exciting story when most of the "tourists" agreed to, but then as a halfling came out holding a hand on his sword, even in relaxed manner, he certainly felt uncomfortable and changed in looks from his friendly and entertaining one to a somewhat strained one and ready for battle.

"Sir, may I suggest you keep your sword in your sheath and keep your hands of your sword while it's in it? Certainly, the camp provides full access to weapons, but believe me, there's always someone who can and will take care of it. You're in our camp, so please, play by our rules." After saying that, he extended his hand in turn and shook the halfling's hand, looking into his eyes and appearing to be ready for anything.

The gnome leaned back on his chair after the handshake, appearing somewhat annoyed and looking as if he definitely didn't expect that to happen. Still, he recovered quite quicker than expected, and started his speech, although, not as enthusiastic as he appeared to at first, and probably with a rounded down version of what he had to say.

"Okay, first - the basics. This is the jungle - the place where the fittest survive. Although, the camp has a fair sport policy, it is not applicable when you're outside the camp's area - some here might kill you just for your gold! Scared?" He observes everyone for a moment, and then swiftly replies, whatever the reaction would be. "Good. Second - if you don't have a clear plan for what to do, and I'm assuming this is the case because you're still here, I and the other researchers can give you some tasks, you'll be getting paid, of course, either in money or equipment, but you'll probably want to buy the latter anyway, so I'm assuming, that you'll accept payment in items, or, let us say, have some sort of an 'account', as some fancy people call it, where you could store your gold. Alternatively, you can go hunting some 'game' in the wilds, as many other 'game hunters' do. As much as I and other researchers don't like them, sometimes, they can be useful. Last, but not least - the Island is still being explored and studied, so... just be careful and report everything unusual to me or head researcher Griffiths, although, he doesn't really appreciate adventurers, unless needed." He looks over everyone again. "Any questions so far?"

Gray Mage
2010-07-29, 11:35 AM
Neil will look at the wares, a dissinterested look in his face at first, but he opens up a smile when he sees the device, obvious to everyone else that he found it very intersting, for some reason."Master Wizzle, what would this be?"He says, pointing at the lab.

With the mention of the danger, Neil will be alarmed, not that he's a coward, but that he couldn't fight alone to save his life, which seems to be the case."Well, a job wouldn't be a bad idea, althought I would prefer not to leave the camp by myself, but before that I think that everyone will need a place to stay.Would yoube so kind to point where an inn or something like that is, or even better tell where I can find a map of the island, if there's one already?

@Crit: would you like to roll for diplomacy or just role-playing will do for now?

Da'Shain
2010-07-29, 02:56 PM
Years ago, Feth might have taken offense at the halfling's implied threat and rallied to the side of a fellow gnome, but time on his own had taught him that being ready with one's weapons was a necessary trait, out here in the wilderness. They were far from civilization, as the merchant's admonition of the lawlessness outside camp confirmed. He made a silent note to keep his eyes open, and not trust anyone.

At the mention of game hunters, Feth's pointed ears perked up. There had seemed to be little in the way of fellow hunters on the ship, and the few conversations he'd had with researchers had indeed seemed quite standoffish after he had let his profession be known. Well, these men of knowledge might be too soft for the work themselves, but they still needed meat on their tables and leathers on their backs. Waiting patiently for Wizzle to answer the tall, poorly camouflaged human, Feth posed his own question, unconcerned with lodgings.

"You mentioned the game on this island, Maester Wizzle," he said, choosing to err on the side of caution and address the merchant as though he were an accomplished artisan. "Tell me, please, what is the most common animal hunted? And what rarer beasts might you have heard of?"

Cheetah109
2010-07-29, 06:50 PM
Derik

At the gnome's comments, Derik releases his grasp on his sword as he shakes the gnome's hand. "My bad. I've been a little on edge since I became cargo; hope you weren't offended too badly."

During the gnome's explanation, Derik's eyes seem to light up. He seems much less scared than excited. "I myself wouldn't mind hunting some game. Or..." Derik looks at Neil, "acting as a bodyguard to a human who's afraid of the dark. Either way, I shall get to test my strength against this wilderness.

Derik walks away, smiling, and just checks out the settlement a bit. His hand reflexively relaxes on the hilt of his greatsword as he walks around. He catches himself once or twice, but his hand always seems to move back a few seconds later.

Private-Prinny
2010-07-29, 07:07 PM
Researchers? Do you think anything of value can be learned from this island? You must have some goal in mind for them to even risk the trip over here. Maybe I could help you? Apart from that, I'd be able to help a fair bit with hunting, but that's as far as my talents go.

Critical
2010-07-29, 08:48 PM
Diplomacy rolls not required yet.

"This?" - he says in reply to Neil's question, turning to see the device. - "A mechanical rat, it is... A hunter named Olaf brought it to me this morning. Quite a thing, I must say, and it seems we weren't the first to find the island."

He listens to the next question, and quickly replies: "Bronzebeard owns something you could call a "tavern", I guess, in a five minute's walk to your left. It'd be hard to miss it, trust me."

When he's asked about the map, he scratches his head, thinking. "Uh, how do I put this... I wouldn't expect to see a map in the near future."

Swiftly, he turned to answer his fellow kin's question - it was clearly seen that he had some experience in this field. "Ah, yes, game. The island's been rich on creatures so far, so I bet you'll recieve a different answer from anyone. There's been a lot of wolves when we were setting up here, though, but now they've learnt not to stick their noses here and went elsewhere."

Wizzle observes the wandering halfling for a moment, slightly annoyed again, but then just decided to ignore him.

He turns to the young man who asked the last question, smiling. "Quite sharp, young man. You see, the link to the other planes here, how do I put it... It's thin. That causes quite a lot of problems and is interesting to us at the same time. We believe that there should be some kind of source here, but that's just theory. The researchers mostly study the unusual stuff that someone brings or reports to them."

He eyes the wandering halfling again for a second, before returning to the group. "Anything else? If not, I'm sure the researchers might have a task or two for you... Oh, and may I ask you to do us a favor? Keep an eye out for mechanical beasts and anything that could be magic in nature - there's a magician somewhere on the island, and it'd be nice to know what he knows."

Private-Prinny
2010-07-29, 09:09 PM
The young mage's eyes light up, and you can almost see the possibilities swirling around in his head. He snaps abruptly back to reality.

I may as well see what the researchers need done. I'll have to make myself useful if I want to stay at the camp.

Da'Shain
2010-07-29, 09:46 PM
"Wolves, eh?" Feth grimaced. Wolf meat was tough, stringy and uniformly bad tasting; unless the camp was starved, he wouldn't make much from such prey, although the pelts might fetch a decent price. Still, considering he had arrived without even two coins to rub together, it might be better to seek more immediately rewarding employment.

"I'll keep an eye out for these metal beasts, maester," he continued, "and be sure to come to you first."Seeing that the older gnome seemed taken with the bright-eyed and armored mage, Feth excused himself with a quiet "Thanks," and went in search of one of the researchers Wizzle had mentioned, hopeful of a paying job. It might be best to find a partner to watch his back for his first foray or two into the wilderness, but before he did that, he needed a reason for such a team-up. He ambled slowly in the direction of the tavern that Wizzle had mentioned, passing the smiling halfling with a slightly curious glance. It was rare to see someone of his stature with such a large weapon, in his experience.

Cheetah109
2010-07-29, 10:13 PM
Derik

Derik soon tires of walking around the settlement. Though there are some interesting looking people, they all seem to have their own business, and do not look as though they would entertain a curious halfling for long.

Glancing around, Derik notices a tavern and decides to check it out. It can't be any more boring than the rest of this ruddy settlement, he thinks to himself. The halfling enters the tavern and looks for anybody who seems particularly interesting.

Fiat Lux
2010-07-29, 10:27 PM
Having listened with interest, Calidor takes stock of each of his fellow stragglers, gently surprised at the number of smallfolk among them. Still, being of middling height and whipcord-thin as he is, he is in no position to be casting aspersions on the builds of others, is he now?

His eyes settle first on the man wearing the leathers with dragon sigil, and his gaze settles upon the man's spell component pouch. An armored mage -- a military man, from his bearing -- that'd be a fascinating fellow to know, now, would it not? And further, Calidor Teyn happened to know from personal experience how useful it was to have someone who could blow a troupe of goblins to nothing but ash standing back-to-back with you. Sometimes there is no space for subtlety, isn't it so?

Shifting the pack slung across the riveted leather armor he wore, he deftly interposes himself in the fellow's path and extends a hand, a warm, disarming smile spreading easily across his face. "Sure, and I'll take it you're new here as well, friend. Of course, we all are, are we not?" He inclines his head to indicate the expanse of newly-discovered terra firma stretching out before them. "Seems to me a man might find himself in need of a friend in rough-and-tumble lodgings such as these, leastwise til he gets his bearings straight...and it strikes me that you might find yourself in just such a position at the moment. As the Fates would have it, I have no pressing business to hand, and so I find myself in such a position as I might render you some small assistance in that regards, and perhaps receive yours in turn, no?"

Private-Prinny
2010-07-29, 11:47 PM
Arbil scans the fair-haired man in front of him, and notices a similar pouch by his side. He seems to be a smooth talker, not unlike the minstrels you would find in a tavern. With such militant enchantments as the ones he has, a hint of subtlety could be useful.

Any sort of partner is better than going alone. We should probably see what those researchers are up to. I see you can do a fair bit of magic yourself?

Maeglin_Dubh
2010-07-30, 01:21 AM
Ceorl looks around at all the buildings, and starts wandering towards the nearest gate. The walls of the settlement were beginning to feel claustrophobic, closing in on him. His waterskin sloshed as he made his way as quickly as he could towards what seemed to be the best way out of the settlement.

Critical
2010-07-30, 05:26 AM
Wizzle calls out to everyone, seeing them leave, looking as if he forgot something: "Oh, and main researcher camp is to the right from the pier, if you're interested in that."

The others who left still carry on on whatever they were doing?

Gray Mage
2010-07-30, 07:33 AM
Neil will head out to the researcher's camp to look for a task or simply to know what they found out until now.

Da'Shain
2010-07-30, 11:57 AM
Feth, still in eartshot, does likewise, grateful for the assistance in finding a job. The main researcher camp is likely to have more for him than the tavern, anyway. He walks slowly a fair distance behind the tall human in blue, on the lookout for any people that look like they need work done.

Cheetah109
2010-07-30, 08:29 PM
Derik

Just as he's about to enter the tavern, Derik hears Wizzle's suggestion, but enters the tavern anyway. He looks around a bit, but does not see anybody likely to entertain him for long.

Perhaps I will see what the researchers can offer. It'll allow me something to do, and hopefully give me a challenge worthy of one of Kord's disciples.

Derik saunters over to the researchers's camp, hoping to stumble upon something worthy of his interest.

Fiat Lux
2010-07-31, 01:13 AM
Calidor pats the component pouch at his own belt modestly. "Oh, a bit here and there -- I dabble, you know? I specialize mostly in misdirection, which has saved my hide a fair bit of often." And it wouldn't do to come right out and say that he specializes in lies, trickery and deceit, now would it? Besides which, it would be most counterproductive to advertise.

"Well, I suppose we'd best look into what errands these bookworms need run, and perhaps they'll be so kind as to share with us what they know of the place, no? Calidor Teyn, by the by." He hooks a thumb to indicate himself.

Maeglin_Dubh
2010-07-31, 02:09 AM
Ceorl found himself standing before the gates, wondering how he would explain himself to the guards. He had no reason to leave, nowhere to go... Wracking his brain, he thought back to the little gnome greeting newcomers. Something about researchers offering jobs?

Perhaps that would be just the thing to get him out of the city. He began heading towards where he remembered the gnome describing the researcher's camp.

Critical
2010-07-31, 06:52 PM
As you go into the direction of the main researcher camp, which the Wizzle has pointed to you, you notice that most of the researchers who arrived are unpacking their stuff and, generally, are making themselves comfortable and some are even setting up tents, vastly increasing the already big amount of tents in the camp-city.

You wander in that direction for a few minutes, noticing a large white tent on the horizon. As you come closer, you hear a man yelling: "ARRRGH, NOT AGAIN, SOMEONE, HELP! SCORPIONS!" You see a man in white coat and with glasses running out of the main tent, trying to hide behind the nearest tree and catch his breath, the other researchers getting on guard as well. Seeing, that you're the only persons who can stand their own in a fight, a random researcher adresses you: "Please, kill the scorpions! We'll pay you!"

Gray Mage
2010-07-31, 07:27 PM
Neil will aproath the tree to calm the man down."Are you all right mister, hurt somewhere? "After seeing if the man was hurt he'll take his crossbow off his back and put a bolt in it, so that he can fire if something happenned."Is anyone else in there?"

Cheetah109
2010-07-31, 07:41 PM
Derik

Initiative, in case we're supposed to roll it:
[roll0]

Derik pulls his greatsword and rushes as close to the tent as he can. If he reaches the door he'll pull a flap open and stand to the side, allowing ranged attackers a chance to take a shot at the scorpions first.

Private-Prinny
2010-07-31, 08:32 PM
Initiative[roll0]:smallfurious:

Scorpions? Is everyone else safe? We can take care of them if they're out of control.

Arbil follows about 10ft behind Derik, his hand near his component pouch in case of an attack.

Da'Shain
2010-07-31, 11:01 PM
In a flash, the bow around his shoulder is dropped into Feth's left hand, an arrow nocked an eyeblink later as he scans the tent. He would normally draw the bowstring back in preparation, but the presence of two other helpers at the entrance of the giant tent stays his hand; an accidental loose could kill, and so he merely remains watchful. Noticing that the halfling from earlier is first to the flap and glancing back, preparing to open the tent, Feth looks him full in the eye and nods sharply, drawing the arrow back and sighting down it carefully..

Over his shoulder at the man who'd run out earlier, he asks calmly, concentration evident, "How many?"
Initiative roll:
[roll0]

Critical
2010-08-01, 07:41 AM
"No... I'm.. fine... barely managed to run away... No one else's inside..." - the man says, while still trying to catch his breath, seeming to finally do so. - "Three of them... Please hurry up or they will damage the equipment!" You hear a noise of something falling in the sand from inside the main tent. Feth, Arbil and Derik notice three, of a size a little less than a halfling, scorpions, starting, for some reason, to shake tables with various devices, potions and other tools, making them fall on the sand. There shouldn't be much damage done now, but it'd be certainly best to hurry.

Initiative for Ceorl to speed things up: [roll0] And for Calidor as well: [roll1]
The Scorpions(rawr): [roll2]

MAP (http://celestine-empire.net/battlegrid/board.php?sessionID=Mysterious%20Island)

Post actions regardless of your initiative, or this is going to take forever. :smallbiggrin:

Initiative Order:
Feth
Neil
Scorpions
Derik
Ceorl
Calidor
Arbil

Maeglin_Dubh
2010-08-01, 12:01 PM
Ceorl runs quickly to the opposing tent flap, sliding a kukri free on his way. Once he makes it, he pulls back the flap, looking cautiously inside and to the left to make sure there aren't any hidden out of sight.

Gray Mage
2010-08-01, 12:53 PM
"Don't worry we'll handle this."

Neil will move so he can see the scorpions, standing behind Feth. His crossbow already ready to fire he aims towards the closest scorpion, attacking him.

Move action to G3 and attack $1
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Da'Shain
2010-08-01, 01:12 PM
Feth had seen such huge vermin before, but only once, far away from any civilization. He wondered what they were doing in this camp; perhaps they were in abundant supply on the island.

He smoothly adjusts his aim onto the closest scorpion, preparing to send the point straight between the beast's mandibles, hoping to take it down before it noticed the new arrivals. With a short exhalation of breath, he lets the arrow loose, streaking between the tent flaps at the monstrous creature.

A moment later, he slides up to the other side of the entrance, stepping aside and out of the way of any other attackers.

As a minor action Feth activates his Lightning Bolt, adding 1d6+1 electric damage to his attack.

Standard Action: Ranged Attack on Scorpion $1 (+1 atk/dmg bonus, Point Blank range)
Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
EDIT: So 5 normal damage, 3 electric damage.

Move Action: Move to E6.

Cheetah109
2010-08-01, 01:20 PM
Derik

Derik sighs, it is unbelievable that he is going to go CLOSER to the ridiculously large scorpions. He makes some unusual arm movements and mutters a quick passage in reverence to Kord. As his hand begins to glow he touches himself on the chest, feeling the effects of his divine magic.

Derik then quickly rolls around the entrance to the tent and ends up out of sight, pulling the tent flap with him to keep the doorway open.

"C'mon scorpions. I've got the power of Kord on my side; I will not fall today."

Cast Guidance on self. Move to H8 by crossing diagonally through G7.

Private-Prinny
2010-08-01, 02:17 PM
Arbil, seeing everyone running into the tent, moves to the entrance, a few minor components in his hands.

Interesting. I've never seen vermin this large before. Is this the standard for the island, or are these strange even by its standards?

He mumbles a few unintelligible words as frost forms on his fingertips. He points his palm towards a scorpion, and fires the sphere of cold air at it.

Move to F7
Lesser Orb of Sound at Scorpion 1
Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage (if hit): [roll1]

Fiat Lux
2010-08-01, 11:38 PM
Whistling tunelessly as people rush to and fro around him, Calidor strolls over near the tent's flap, digging in the pouch at his belt as he does so. Taking out a tiny twist of paper, he opens it and empties a pinch of fine white sand into the palm of his hand. "Sleep, sleep, my pretties, close your eyes and slip, slip away," he says softly, then murmurs a lullaby string of syllables and blows gently on the palm of his open hand. The white sand skirls away in the breeze, drifting over the monstrous vermin, tugging them gently, soothingly towards somnolent slumber.

--Moving to F6 (or wherever he can easily see the creatures after Things Have Been Done.

--Casting sleep (Will save vs. DC 14) on the scorpions -- preferably to hit all three of them at once, if they're still clustered after their movement. If this isn't possible, Calidor will attempt to hit the largest group of them he can see, or failing that, the nearest. Assuming they don't move, he'll center his spell on G11, thus catching all three of them neatly in the burst.

Critical
2010-08-02, 04:30 PM
Feth takes aim at the nearest to him scorpion, covering the arrow with lightning sparks as he pulls the bow string. The arrow swiftly flies into the tent, hitting the scorpion into the carpace, after what the poor critter convulses and is not moving.

Neil, however, wasn't that lucky as Feth was. His arrow hits the sand a few inches beside the scorpion.

One of the scorpions, seeing one of it's specimen down, lunges at Derik with it's claw, while the other tries to exit the tent, but sees Feth on the way, and attacks with it's claw as well. Both miss horribly, one of them scratching the tent, the man in a lab coat bites his lip as he sees the scratch.

Derik calls to Kord to aid guide him in this situation.

Ceorl rushes into the battle, slipping a kukri free on the move, and attacks one of the scorpions. He easily hits the scorpion, gushing his blade and his arm with blue blood. The scorpion is barely standing and looks very unpleased.

Calidor casts his sleep spell, but it seems to take no effect at all at the vermin. The man in a lab coat snorts at his failure.

Arbil mutters a few words, forming a ball of cold energy in his hands, which he slings into the air, almost hitting the tent. "Careful there!" - the researcher yells out, taking cover and closing his eyes.

Scorpion Attacks - Charge at Derik(Derik recieves cover bonus) - [roll0] [roll1] ; Ordinary hit attempt at Feth(cover bonus as well) - [roll2] [roll3]

Ceorl's attack - [roll4] [roll5]

Changed Ceorl's action to attack, since it'd be dumb otherwise. Ow, and Prinny, lesser orb of x deals d6 damage instead of d8, and why does your RP includes using a frost orb, when you were using a sound one?

Also, anyone who has ranks in both Spellcraft and Knowledge: Nature can roll them to find out why Calidor failed.

MAP (http://celestine-empire.net/battlegrid/board.php?sessionID=Mysterious%20Island)

Gray Mage
2010-08-02, 05:15 PM
Seeing as his arrow failed to hit the target, Neil curses, now it will be even more difficult to hit them, as Ceorl is fighting with the scorpions. Anyway he readies his crossbow to try again, hoping to hit this time, aiming at the hurt one.

Move action to ready crossbow and then attack the one Ceorl hit.
attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]
PS: I can try to recover the bolt, right?

Da'Shain
2010-08-02, 05:34 PM
When the scorpion appeared at the entrance to the tent, Feth knew he had gotten their attention; its claw flashed towards him as he swayed backwards, but it was obvious it hadn't known he was there, and so the swing went wide even as a man rushed up beside him and drove a curved dagger deep between the scorpion's chitinous plates.

Knowing that even if he retreated he was unlikely to get a clear shot, Feth takes his right hand from the string of his bow and drops it to his belt, his fingers deftly freeing a catch and closing on the haft of a weathered-looking axe. With a grunt, he swings it free in a vicious arc at the bleeding scorpion, hoping to end it quickly before it could bring its venomous stinger against the new arrival.

Move Action: Feth takes his right hand from the bow and draws his axe one-handed, still retaining his grip on the bow with his left. If you rule that this is either not a legal move or that it inflicts some kind of penalty/failure chance, he instead drops the bow as a free action and draws the axe with no problem.

Standard Action: Attack on scorpion $2.
[roll0] Damage: [roll1]

EDIT: Drat. I think I missed because of the tent's cover as well.

Private-Prinny
2010-08-02, 05:44 PM
Arbil winces, disgusted by his horrifying aim. This time, he would be certain to hit his mark. He extends his arm, index and middle fingers out, and points at one of the scorpions. Ripples form in the air as a bead of force shoots from his fingers.

Magic Missile at Scorpion 3 [roll0]

Cheetah109
2010-08-02, 06:53 PM
Derik

Knowing that he had Kord's aid, Derik felt much safer. The last thing he wanted was to be crippled by a scorpion's sting. It wasn't the sting itself he feared much, but the poison that comes with the sting.

Now he could focus on doling out the pain. And he knew just where to direct his attacks. Derik wasn't about to let anybody, especially not a scorpion, get away with taking a swing at him. Derik lifts his sword over his head with both hands and, with a yell, takes a swing at the scorpion.

If $3 is still in front of Derik, he'll just attack. If it moves away, he'll take his AoO and charge if possible. If he gets stung, he'll use his guidance on the saving throw.

All rolls are, of course, on a 'need to use' basis.
[roll0]

[roll1]

[roll2]

Fiat Lux
2010-08-03, 11:48 AM
"Ha! Brilliant!" Calidor has never seen such creatures before, and they had not seemed to react to his enchantment at all. They do not seem to be undead...perhaps their kind has a strong will, or simple immunity, or perhaps the mystical flows of the island impeded his spellcrafting. Such things are possible, but who knows? Marvelous!

In any event, here and now is not the time to experiment -- his next resort is the tried-and-true. He drew his blade, long and slim like himself, and moved forward, circling cheerfully and watching for an opening.

Calidor draws his rapier and moves up to H5.

Critical
2010-08-03, 06:29 PM
Feth takes out a handaxe, while still holding his longbow with the other hand and tries to hit the scorpion. He's successful, however, not in hitting the vermin, but in hitting the cloth, which covered the entrance, tearing it up with a distinctive sound. "Hey!" - could be heard from the covering man in white coat.

Seeing the almost perfect opportunity as the entrance was torn, Neil attempts to strike the creature again, with another shot, despite the man standing in front of it. Almost hitting Ceorl in the leg, the bolt flies straight to the scorpion's head, rendering it moveless and making it fall on the ground with another fair share of blue blood splattery.

The one last scorpion scorpion crawls closer to Derik and lunges at him with all it's might, seems that it was really pissed off now! Unfortunately for it, Derik was agile enough to avoid all the blows it made.

Unfortunately for the poor beast, the halfling, empowered by the power of his deity, instantly returned the favor. Swinging his sword in a wild arc, Derik, with a loud cracking noise of chitine, makes two half-scorpions out of one. The shocked, chopped in two arachnid clicks it's pincers for one last time as if being alive before showing absolute lack of life signs.

Seeing that everything's over, the man taking cover behind a palm tree stands up, with swift hand movements gets his clothes rid of sand and walks up to everyone in relief. "Good job everyone... I didn't see you here before, I believe... Why are you here? Oh, where are my manners, I'm Fredderick Griffiths, nice to meet you."

Moving on without MD, for now.

Congratulations on your first victory, 100 XP for everyone! :smalltongue:

Also, I assumed Arbil didn't waste his prepared spell on a scorpion that was chopped in a half, if I'm wrong, let me know. :smallbiggrin:

Gray Mage
2010-08-03, 06:41 PM
After the battle ended Neil tries to find the first bolt. After finding it (or not) he'll aproach the man. "Oh, thank you, err.... sorry about your tent and everything."Showing a little embarassment at the not so stelar job he and the others did. "I'm Neil Windstrider, I don't know about the others, but I thought the researchers would have a job for me. I almost forgot, but did you say something like 'not again'? I didn't know scorpions were that common here." As he introduces himself he'll stend a hand to Fredderik, in order to shake hands.

Private-Prinny
2010-08-03, 06:47 PM
I would like to keep my spell slot, thank you very much. :smallwink:

He turns to the researcher, slightly embarrassed.

Sorry about that, my aim isn't usually that bad. We're actually here at Wizzle's suggestion. He said you might have some work for us?

Cheetah109
2010-08-03, 08:52 PM
Derik

Turning to Neil, Derik gloats, "Ha! I hope those scorpions are common. That was rather fun! Though, I'm sure they get boring eventually."

Derik then turns to the researcher, his face glowing and his voice brimming with a divine power as he attempts to lift the man's mood and earn his trust: "With those scorpions out of the way, you should be able to continue your work in peace. Now, surely, you must have some work for a few capable men such as ourselves. Scorpions aren't the only creatures that I can fight, and I am rather put in the mood for adventure."

Diplomacy
[roll0] (using guidance)

Gray Mage
2010-08-03, 09:07 PM
"My friend here is right ,sir. You'll hardly find a more competent bunch of men than us. We took care of those scorpions in no time." Neil will try to improve their image of competence, so the man will consider hiring us.

I'll use aid another on Derik's atempt of diplomacy, as he got a really good roll and it'd take some luck for me to do better. I'd like to take 10, but if it isn't possible [roll0]
Edit: I got an 19 just because I said I'd use aid another.:smallsigh: @Crit: If you don't mind I think this roll should be another check and not an aid another as I said before.

Da'Shain
2010-08-03, 09:59 PM
Feth surveyed the total damage with a critical eye. The tent itself had a couple tears in it, and the inside was a mess from whatever the scorpions had been doing before they arrived, but all in all the situation had been resolved with little problem. No one had been hurt, aside from the giant vermin themselves. After ascertaining that everything was over, he entered the tent to study the corpse of the first scorpion to be downed, satisfied. A clean kill, he thought, nodding to himself, as he bent to retrieve what he could of the arrow, and to take a trophy of his own.

After he was done, he sauntered back outside to find the other helpers in conversation with the white-coated man. He was loath to interrupt, instead contenting himself with listening in as he cleaned the freshly-cut scorpion's claw on the grass before slipping it into his pack. At the several mentions of a job, his ears perked up, and he felt the need to interject. "Payment for neutralizing the scorpions was also offered."

Critical
2010-08-04, 02:14 PM
Griffiths makes a thinking face and rubs his chin as the adventurers offer themselves for some kind of job. "I see... He stands there in his thinking, until he's interrupted by Feth, who asks about the payment. "Oh, yes yes! Come in, please." - he says, walking in the tent, taking a seat and doing something behind the desk, most likely, taking out a brown bag, full of coins, judging by the noise. - "50 gold for everyone for your trouble would do I guess? If you all agree on that, lets get to business and not waste each others time and I'll just give you the job. You'll work as a group, I assume? Do you have any experience working with each other, besides now?"

Gray Mage
2010-08-04, 02:22 PM
Neil will gladly take his share of the gold, he wouldn't have asked for payment for making a good deed, but as the man's offering, it'd be rude not to acept."Yes, I believe we can work as a group, even without much experience in doing that, we'll just learn on the way."

Is it 50 gold each or we have to split up 50gp?

Critical
2010-08-04, 02:28 PM
50 each.

"Okay... The young man here has already introduced himself, but how about everyone else? I'll need the names of my workers, at least." - he says, leaning back in his chair.

Da'Shain
2010-08-04, 07:41 PM
Feth has difficulty keeping his surprise from showing on his face as he accepts the proffered reward. Fifty gold for such a simple thing? Not that he'd never owned such an amount before, but fifty gold was enough to keep him supplied for months; he certainly hadn't expected to no longer have money troubles so soon after arriving. If only he was paid this handsomely for every dangerous animal he'd killed!

He considers simply taking the money and leaving, right there. He could explore this island alone, he feels confident, and a job might end up muzzling his independence. Still, if the researchers paid this handsomely, there was no reason not to listen, at least.

"Feth Khorneyn," he tells Griffiths in what he considers an amiable tone, offering a polite nod instead of reaching up for a handshake. "Hunter by trade. Haven't met these people before, but it seems at least some can handle themselves. I can work with them."

Private-Prinny
2010-08-04, 08:32 PM
Arbil politely bows his head and takes his payment. It was no small amount, but he had a feeling that these particular researchers were strangely well funded.

Arbil. Arbil Pondera. I just arrived at this camp, but now that I've seen what these men can do, I can assure you that we will be able to get the job done, whatever that job is.

Cheetah109
2010-08-05, 12:09 AM
Derik

Derik gladly accepts the reward, greedily placing the gold into his own money pouch. Working for these guys was going to make his accidental trip to this island worthwhile.

Remembering his manners, Derik introduces himself: "Derik 'Heavyhands' Stoneslinger. I would gladly work with these guys; they seem capable enough. And I'm interested in seeing what the mages can do. I don't think that last scuffle did them justice."

Critical
2010-08-08, 10:54 AM
Assuming MD and FL introduced themselves. Also, subscribe to both this and OOC thread if you didn't already. :smalltongue:

Griffiths nods. "Alright then, now when we know each other's names, lets get to business, gentlemen. Recently the so-called "big game hunters" sent us an animal messenger, that they have found some strange, unknown material on the north side of the island, but..." - he takes a pause, as if he was picking the right words. - "...but they never actually returned. You need to find that material and these hunters, if possible. You'll be escorting three researchers - they will deal with the metal and provide the necessary knowledge you'll need. You'll be paid generously..." He looks over everyone for a second. "Are you up for the job?"

Gray Mage
2010-08-08, 05:04 PM
Things were going well, he had just entered the island and was already proposed a job."I suppose I'm in, but I'd like to know a bit more about this 'mission'. First is why do we need to escort the researches? It would be easier to go just us. And second, and most important when discussing a job I'd say is how much are we getting for doing this?" As he finishes he'll try to see if Griff has something to hide or not.
Sense motive [roll0]

Critical
2010-08-08, 05:31 PM
Neil

You don't find what he's speaking to be suspicious.

Private-Prinny
2010-08-08, 07:44 PM
Arbil turns to face the bard.

Now now, Neil, there are plenty of reasons to bring the researchers along. Barring, of course, you knowing both the way to where we're going and what to do with the metal once we get there. Besides, with the amount of people we have, protecting a group of three should be easy enough.

He looks back to the main researcher. He does raise a good point, however. I would like to know what I'm getting out of this before I go diving into trouble.

Da'Shain
2010-08-09, 11:07 AM
After the man had answered the delicate questions of payment, Feth assessed the others. Unless one of them had hidden depths not apparent from their appearances, he surmised that he was the only tracker of any experience. If they did, no doubt they would chime in.

"The researchers should be safe with us, provided they can move quickly," he began, his voice brisk and businesslike. "You say the 'north' side of the island. Do you have any sort of map or trail description from them, or were they one of the first exploring parties sent? Also, we'll need descriptions of them and the equipment they carried. And what kind of 'big game' were they hunting? Big enough to ensure their disappearance?"

His brow furrowed for a moment as if a thought had just occured to him. He added, "Will travelling with researchers make the lawless explorers here more or less likely to attack us?"

Critical
2010-08-09, 01:39 PM
"Yes indeed, the researchers are needed for the exact reasons mr. Arbil mentioned. The pay..." Griffiths took another pause. Seems like he was running calculations. "Would six thousand gold for all of you suffice? That would be the minimum - all in all, it depends on how this mission is going to end. Bare in mind though - it's not a walk in the park."

He then turns to Feth, listening to what he has to say. It seems, he is kind of annoyed, noticing that the gnome is, clearly, a hunter. "Unfortunately, the island is still being mapped out. Besides - it's hard to do that with all that dense jungle. These gentlemen were just hunting, not researching, and the only thing we got from them about the place's description is "north". Descriptions..."

Griffiths scratches his head and looks, clearly trying to remember their description to the fullest. "A red-bearded dwarf along with a black-haired elf, the elf, in particular, had quite a lot of scars on his face - Giras and Verion are their names. Both dressed into leather armor, the dwarf was carrying a crossbow while an elf was carrying a longbow. They had two dogs with them, for battle purposes, it seems. How big game? There are some dinosaurs on the north side of the island, and, well, in general, you just might meet some planar creatures out of nowhere, as, perhaps, anywhere here. Researchers making you safer? Most of them wouldn't, however, I bet that some might. Anything else?"

Gray Mage
2010-08-10, 02:26 PM
At the mention that the researchers would be needed and that they'd be safe, Neil will just shrug"If you all think that there'll be no problem, then I don't have any... objection, I'll say."

"I believe that this amount is... enough for us and none has any complaints." With this he'll wait for Feth to lead, only talking in case someone need to convince Griffiths of something.

Cheetah109
2010-08-10, 08:21 PM
Derik

The halfling speaks up to say: "I have no objections. Kord shall be pleased when we conquer the dinosaurs, save the hunters, and assist the researchers." Derik pauses for a moment and looks down at his armor, "I'll...guard our rear or something. Really anywhere except scout is fine by me."

Da'Shain
2010-08-12, 01:55 AM
He takes a moment to scrutinize his compatriots more closely. "I'll be scouting," he says, in a tone that all but spells out that he's the only one suited for it. "The rest of you can divide up duties as you see fit. No doubt the researchers will be happy to have such a guard."

He turns back to Griffiths. "Unless you have any more information or suggestions on equipment we should pick up, we should head out before the trail gets any colder."

Gray Mage
2010-08-12, 04:34 PM
The man ponders for a while of what he can do "Actually, I'm a bit of a Jack of all trades, I can help you scout if needed, I can sneak around, also know a thing or two about magic" -he points at his components pouch-"and could try to convience the others hunters to leave us alone as well."

Critical
2010-08-14, 04:21 PM
Griffiths nods. "Good. Follow me." He stands up from his seat, making his way out of the tent going to another one, a few tents after the main one, finally stopping and calling out to those located inside. "Hey, back to work, you lazy bums! Go with these brave adventurers and collect the metal! And be quick!" - he yells at the researchers. You hear a lot of noise of, what it seems to be, packing bags. Griffiths turns to you, smiling, and says: "Well, my part right now is done. See you. Oh, by the way, you might want to go and buy something from Wizzle with the money I gave you." He's about to head off to his quarters, but in the last moment, he turns back as if he remembered something, looking at Calidor: "Oh, and... Mind spells don't work on the mindless." With that, he gone off.

In a few minutes, the researchers are done and ready to go. All three were humans, perhaps, the most popular researcher race on the island, as you noticed. Two of them do not appear to be very pleased with having to go, seems like they went because they just had to, but one seems to be especially excited about this. "Ready when you are!" - the excited one says cheerfully.

Gray Mage
2010-08-15, 11:22 AM
Neil will gladly follow Griffiths towards the tents, but won't aproach them, dangerous creatures seemed to inhabit them regulary here and he liked his blood unpoisoned, thank you very much. He won't object to go shopping at wizzle's and might even buy something himself if they go, but won't propose to go there himself.

He'll take a good look at the researchers, not exactly "adventurer material" he'd be the first to say, but his companions proven themselves quite capable. Still, he couldn't help but think that this little incursion wouldn't end well. "Glad to see that someone is looking foward to this."-he says, looking at the exited one, a minor grin and a chuckle in his face.

Cheetah109
2010-08-15, 02:38 PM
Derik

The halfling looks the researchers over, a slight feeling of anxiety washing over him. This was not going to be easy. Two of the researchers seemed to be fine, but Derik had a feeling that the cheery one in particular might get into trouble.

Approaching the cheerful researcher, the halfling introduces himself: "Derik, disciple of Kord. I'll be keeping you alive with the powers my lord has granted me, as well as with this," Derik says as he puts a hand on his greatsword. Motioning toward the other adventurers, Derik advises the researcher: "Inform your companions that they should try to stay near one of us. Unless they want to become fodder for the wildlife."

Da'Shain
2010-08-17, 03:44 PM
Surveying his new charges, a term which for him definitely included his fellow adventurers, Feth decided to treat it as though he were a wilderness guide. He's fulfilled that function a couple of times before, and it looked like he'd be falling into it by default here, too. Still, it'd be useful to have others around, if only to draw the animals' attention away from him.

"If you don't have trail rations or sleeping gear," he says to the rest of the gang, "get it now. There's no telling how long we'll be out there, and my supplies are too small to share. With anyone except you, that is." He motions at Derik, the only other one his size in sight.

He already had all he really needed, even though he felt uncomfortable wandering with so much loose gold in his pocket. The thought of the lawless "adventurers" outside the camp made him wary, especially if any of them had overseen he and the others receive such a generous commission. Looking over the researchers, he asks quietly, "How often have you three been outside camp?"

Gray Mage
2010-08-17, 03:50 PM
Heeding Feth's advice, Neil will excuse himself for a moment to buy rations and a sleeping bag.

Critical
2010-08-18, 08:31 PM
"Yes, sure, whatever you say. We've been around here for about... two weeks I think? Maybe more, the time passes fast here." - one of the grim ones responds. You slowly head out to the camp's gates, where you're waiting for Neil to come before you go off.

Neil

So, buy how many trail rations and sleeping bags you need, add them to your sheet and deduct the gold, then roleplay returning to the gates. If you want to buy anything else - tell.

Gray Mage
2010-08-18, 08:37 PM
Neil will swiftly buy what he needs before running to the gates again. In between pauses for getting his breath back he'll say:"Sorry,*pants* for the *pants* lateness, guys.*pants and coughs*"

Cheetah109
2010-08-23, 09:07 PM
Derik

Derik approached one of the guards at the gate. "Excuse me sir, we're leaving to assist with the research of the island. I was just wondering if there's anything we need to do before going out, like paperwork or whatnot. We're currently waiting on one more before we go, and I'd like to get trivialities out of the way as soon as possible."

As Neil approaches, Derik says "Oh, speak of the devil. Nevermind then, I guess we'll be off."

Critical
2010-09-03, 03:18 PM
The dwarf guards playing some kind of card game at the gates look confused when you ask if you may leave the gates. He throws the glance at the sighing researchers and smiles. "Ya didn't need to have meh permission, but aye, move along." Calidor, for some unknown reason, slips away from everyone.

Finally, the jungle. You travel across it for a few hours, the enthusiastic researcher leading you, enjoying the view but still trying his best do do his job, with the other two staying back. Nothing really interesting happened along the way, expect, well, the actual jungle which was rich with it's plants and the occasional bugs or birds most of you didn't see before - bright colors and various interesting patterns could be seen on them and it definitely catches your eye. After some time, you come upon a fairly clear area and the researchers suggest a rest, but the main decision is up to you. What do you do?

Gray Mage
2010-09-04, 09:28 AM
Neil was in the back along with the other researches, making small talk or whistling to himself. When they reach the clear area, he'll wait for the others to make the decision.

Cheetah109
2010-09-04, 01:35 PM
Derik

When the group reaches the clearing, Derik gladly agrees to rest. After all, who knew when they might find another such opportunity to take a break? Derik turns to the researchers to ask them, "So, how much farther do we have to go?"