PDA

View Full Version : Weapon size and cost/weight[3.5]?

gomipile
2010-07-26, 04:33 PM
Does increasing the size category of a weapon increase its cost or weight?

Specifically, how much does a Gargantuan Greatsword weigh and cost?

Greenish
2010-07-26, 05:29 PM
Each increase in size category doubles the weight and cost.

A gargantuan greatsword weights 128 lb. and costs 800 gp.

gomipile
2010-07-26, 05:33 PM
Could you cite the source of this rule for my DM? I haven't been able to find it myself.

Thanks.

Edit: I know that the SRD and PHB list it for Large weapons, but they do not say anything for larger weapons than that. I am wondering where the official general rule is stated.

AslanCross
2010-07-26, 06:34 PM
I don't think it explicitly says anywhere (I doubt the writers intended players to use anything larger than Large), but it can be extrapolated.

ericgrau
2010-07-26, 06:44 PM
That's a good point, it's not listed for anything above large, and small costs the same as medium not 1/2 as much. It's reasonable to extrapolate weight. As for cost, IMO anything above Large would be a specialty item and would cost double (in addition to doubling from each size category), like specialty armor, and PCs would also need to get it custom made. Unless you find a giant vendor or blacksmith. If you look at the crafting rules this could take weeks for a masterwork weapon, and a few days more to enchant it. Of course all this would be a house rule since there is no rule for it, but it's reasonable IMO.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-26, 07:34 PM
Each increase in size category doubles the weight and cost.

A gargantuan greatsword weights 128 lb. and costs 800 gp.

Double the wight? If you double the size of a weapon and assuming the density doesn't change, the weight is 8 times greater. Or as Morbo would say...

"PHYSICS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!"

ericgrau
2010-07-26, 08:51 PM
Regardless, D&D does.

If you want to look into physics then a larger sword would be likely to have a larger flute to reduce weight while maintaining rigidity. Rigidity increases as the cube of thickness, so doubling the thickness is not necessary (or if you do then you may cut more out of the middle for the flute) and the final weight would be much less than 8 times as much. Dunno if it would be as little as twice as much either, but regardless a bigger sword does not have the same shape as a smaller sword.