PDA

View Full Version : [Scion] Quest for the Fountain of Youth

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-07-26, 04:34 PM
I've started up a Scion game with a few friends, and I've sent the Band down to Florida to investigate some nebulous surge in Titanspawn/cultist activity. That's about as far as I've thought though.

I picked Florida as the locale for our first Story because of the Fountain of Youth sought by Ponce de Leon, supposedly hidden in a mystical place called Bimini. But I've got no idea WHY the Scions should go there in the first place. None of them are Atzlanti Scions, so I can't appeal to Native American stuff that well (they didn't live in Florida anyway), so I'm at a bit of a loss.

I was hoping to mine the collective imagination of the Playground to help me figure out a decent plot for this Story. If anyone has any ideas of what the Fountain of Youth could be, where it might be found or what the heck is going on there that the Gods have assembled a non-pantheon-denominational team of Scions to personall go down there and check it out, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you. :smallsmile:

Popertop
2010-07-26, 05:04 PM
you could make the fountain of youth a metaphor for something else, not an actual fountain.

or you could make it so it continually makes them Youthful, immaturity included.

of course there's the wisdom that living forever is less than desirable, having to see all your loved ones die over and over again would get tired pretty fast.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-07-26, 09:01 PM
Those are good ideas, but not exactly what I'm looking for. I'm trying to justify sending the Scions after the Fountain or the Fountain's ruins, doing special sidequests for their parents and kicking Titanspawn ass.

There has to be a reason for the Gods to be interested in the Fountain (when they already have youthening tricks like Idunn's Golden Apples of Youth for the Aesir), or for Titanspawn to nest there and be a major threat.

Popertop
2010-07-27, 06:49 PM
the Fountain is actually a source of divine power?
different gods have more power based on who controls it?

Dust
2010-07-27, 07:08 PM
The Norse goddess of Death, Hel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hel_%28being%29), is a hideous, half-dead hag with more than a few dots of Epic Ugliness. In fact, Odin banished her to the Underworld simply because of her appearance and for being a daughter of Loki. Despite this, she's also a bit of a romantic, even going so far as to attempt to woo the legendary hero Baldur.

She's heard legends of the Fountain of Youth, and not only that, but one of the high-appearance PCs has caught her eye. She wants to get there first - throwing everything she can think of in the character's way if need be, legions of undead and the sort to slow them down - and regain her youth.

One of the Norse characters is alerted to this, that there's some sort of godlike presence RUSHING toward the fountain's location for reasons unknown. The PCs will have to battle hordes of enemies until they discover the goddess' true motives behind wanting to 'get her groove back'...but youth doesn't always mean beauty. What happens when she finally makes a move on the object of her affections, still as disgusting as ever?

Hell hath no fury like HEL, GODDESS OF DEATH, scorned...

DracoDei
2010-07-27, 07:29 PM
Scion's are half-god's right?

Wanting it for themselves probably doesn't make any sense from what I understand of the game... in less than a decade they are either going to achieve immortality without the need of the water, or be dead of anything OTHER than old age (swords, spears, ?anti-tank weapons?, lightning-bolts, etc etc).

The answer then is simple... they have grandparent's on their human side, and somehow earned the right to give them some of the water... if they can find it. Or replace "grandparents" with "older, non-scion, friend/mentor" if I got something wrong, or it wouldn't jive with individual backstories.

Beorn080
2010-07-27, 07:36 PM
If you want a more evil reason, the cultists are going to use its restorative powers to start a war. I would presume the Fountain would regenerate wounds, and a Camelback full would make field medics pretty worthless. With that edge, even the small number of cultists becomes a threat, and if their ranks started growing...

I'm not sure how the combat in Scion works, or if there is any combat, but I'd have the group get jumped by 2-3 cultists with the Camelbacks on. Whenever they get whacked, the cultists would drink, and, hopefully, a smart PC would Sunder the camelbacks to get them to stop healing.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-07-28, 12:08 AM
The Norse goddess of Death, Hel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hel_%28being%29), is a hideous, half-dead hag with more than a few dots of Epic Ugliness. In fact, Odin banished her to the Underworld simply because of her appearance and for being a daughter of Loki. Despite this, she's also a bit of a romantic, even going so far as to attempt to woo the legendary hero Baldur.

She's heard legends of the Fountain of Youth, and not only that, but one of the high-appearance PCs has caught her eye. She wants to get there first - throwing everything she can think of in the character's way if need be, legions of undead and the sort to slow them down - and regain her youth.

One of the Norse characters is alerted to this, that there's some sort of godlike presence RUSHING toward the fountain's location for reasons unknown. The PCs will have to battle hordes of enemies until they discover the goddess' true motives behind wanting to 'get her groove back'...but youth doesn't always mean beauty. What happens when she finally makes a move on the object of her affections, still as disgusting as ever?

Hell hath no fury like HEL, GODDESS OF DEATH, scorned...

I like this, though there's only one Aesir Scion in the band, and he's not really high Appearance. He's not ugly, but as a kid of Freyr I doubt Hel would have much interest in him. In fact, I think the only one who has something like that is our Scion of Dionysus, and I'm not sure Hel dates outside her pantheon. Still, I think I'll use this, if only for a twist near the end (similar to how Loki steals the Black Feather Shroud in the Story presented in the book).