PDA

View Full Version : permanent magic items?

LunarWolfPrime
2010-07-26, 06:00 PM
Ok I am wanting to know how much would you have to mod the price of a magic item? (Ex. Belt Of Giant Strength+6) An make it a a permanent bodyslot item that can basically only really be removed by unusual methods.

I think it is X2 the base price.

An if it did not take up a magic item slot would it be 4X's the base price?

Sorry if it s a dumb Q

Saya
2010-07-26, 06:13 PM
Don't really think that's a way to do that by increasing the price of the item... or at least nothing I've seen. There's always the option of simply gluing it to your character's body and carrying a lot of solvent around...

Darrin
2010-07-26, 06:16 PM
Ok I am wanting to know how much would you have to mod the price of a magic item? (Ex. Belt Of Giant Strength+6) An make it a a permanent bodyslot item that can basically only really be removed by unusual methods.

Sounds like a cursed item, which might make it even cheaper.

Given the plug-and-play nature of 3.x magic items, something you can't remove/get rid of to upgrade to a better item might be seen as a drawback.

I take it there's a lot of inter-party theft?

herrhauptmann
2010-07-26, 06:24 PM
Sounds like a cursed item, which might make it even cheaper.

Given the plug-and-play nature of 3.x magic items, something you can't remove/get rid of to upgrade to a better item might be seen as a drawback.

Cursed items discounts are for items that technically hurt your character. Like belt of kitten strength (-6 str).
Making an item unslotted I think is x2
Also, upgrading from a belt of strength +4 to a belt of strength +6 doesn't require getting a brand new belt, you just pay the cost difference between the +4 (16k) and the +6(36k). Same as for upgrading armor or weapons.

Tyndmyr
2010-07-27, 04:55 AM

This is best solved by trapping the living hell out of your gear. Explosive Runes on the inside of your belt, for instance. There's also a low level fire spell...Fire trap, was it? Use excessively in conjunction with fire resist on yourself. Triggered sounds are great too. If you have immunity to anything(poison, etc), well...use that.

lesser_minion
2010-07-27, 05:03 AM
A sidebar variant in the DMG suggested that this sort of thing would cost about double.

You don't pay extra for it being slotless, however. The extra cost for being a part of your character's body is just assumed to be part of the surcharge for making it slotless.

panaikhan
2010-07-27, 08:53 AM
Warforged components work similar to this.
They cannot be removed while their wearer has positive HP.
Making a Warforged component doubles the price, but does NOT make it slotless - a slotless Warforged component (i.e. one that cannot be removed unless the wearer is willing / disabled) costs x4

Lysander
2010-07-27, 09:39 AM
This is best solved by trapping the living hell out of your gear. Explosive Runes on the inside of your belt, for instance. There's also a low level fire spell...Fire trap, was it? Use excessively in conjunction with fire resist on yourself. Triggered sounds are great too. If you have immunity to anything(poison, etc), well...use that.

Using explosive runes on your own clothing seems like a very bad idea...especially a belt. Next time someone casts dispel magic on you you'll lose the ability to have kids.