PDA

View Full Version : Athas.org? is it dead?

Warpwolf16
2010-07-26, 06:05 PM
I was about to run a DS game in 3.5 and asked my players to download the source books from Athas.org. But they told me the site didnt work so I asking you folks. Is it dead?

If it is dead does anyone have the files from the site? I was only able to download so many of them.

Please help me..^^!

Flickerdart
2010-07-26, 06:11 PM
Downloading PDFs of WotC material is illegal. Because it's stealing.

The Glyphstone
2010-07-26, 06:23 PM
I thought Athas.org was entirely homebrew fan-created material...

arguskos
2010-07-26, 06:24 PM
I thought Athas.org was entirely homebrew fan-created material...
I thought so as well. Athas.org was a fan-made homebrew conversion site for the setting to 3.5, IIRC. If not, yeah, ok, we can't discuss it here. Otherwise, I don't see the issue.

ErrantX
2010-07-26, 06:25 PM
I was about to run a DS game in 3.5 and asked my players to download the source books from Athas.org. But they told me the site didnt work so I asking you folks. Is it dead?

If it is dead does anyone have the files from the site? I was only able to download so many of them.

Please help me..^^!

The site isn't working for me either. How unfortunate. Send me a PM, see if I can't find a way to get you the books.

Athas.org is/was a fansite dedicated to Dark Sun and sanctioned by WotC to update and maintain Dark Sun for 3.5, and its products were to be available for free download as the Athas.org folk aren't allowed to profit on it.

So, no it's not.

Edit: swordsaged :P

-X

LibraryOgre
2010-07-26, 06:26 PM

However, the 3.5 material on Athas.org isn't WotC material. Athas.org was licensed by WotC because they weren't going to develop the world in 3.5. They were allowed, under license, to make and distribute 3.5 rules and world material for Dark Sun.

My bet is that, with the upcoming release of Dark Sun for 4e, WotC retracted the license, meaning Athas.org had to shut down.

EDIT: NINJA! VANISH!

Fostire
2010-07-26, 06:27 PM
I thought so as well. Athas.org was a fan-made homebrew conversion site for the setting to 3.5, IIRC. If not, yeah, ok, we can't discuss it here. Otherwise, I don't see the issue.

Yes, it was. And as far as I know they even had WotC's permission.
My guess is that when wizards decided to do 4E Dark Sun they shut down the site.

Matthew
2010-07-26, 06:38 PM
Nah, Athas.org is always going down, it is habitual. My guess is that it will be back up within a few days.

Lhurgyof
2010-07-26, 06:57 PM
Yeah, it goes down at times. Hopefully it isn't dead. :smallfrown:

senrath
2010-07-26, 07:22 PM
I'd check it again tomorrow. If it's not back up by then, then you can start worrying.

Warpwolf16
2010-07-26, 10:31 PM
I'd check it again tomorrow. If it's not back up by then, then you can start worrying.

Okay I'll do that and ask my players to do the same ^^!