PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Computer Idea - Need Help!

Deth Muncher
2010-07-26, 08:57 PM
Yo! So I have two different ideas, but first, I need to preface them, but before I do THAT, I need a pre-preface - I know next to nothing about how computers work beyond most basic functions. I can defrag it, I can use the Internet or games or whatever other normal programs are on it, but little else. Now:

I currently own two laptops. Both run Vista, one is a Lenovo Thinkpad (from my school) and is closing in on a year old, and the other is a Dell Inspiron somethingsomething (I don't actually have it handy), which is now a few years old. I bought the new laptop when I got to college because the Dell didn't meet a few of the specs it needed to (like a dual core processor, for one). The Dell is currently collecting dust somewhere at my mother's house, and I realized that it doesn't have to, I don't think - surely there is a purpose it can be put to.

So that's what leads me to my two ideas. They are: 1. Reconstitute the laptop into a glorified second screen for my primary laptop, or 2. Make it a glorified external harddrive somehow (which, by the way, I do have one of those - a 500GB). The first idea I've had for a while, and while I do have a small HDTV that I can hook up via cord so it'll function as a second screen, I'm not sure I want it right up in my face for watching TV. The second idea I came to because a friend of mine who uses lots of Macs has his desktop, which is then wirelessly connected to his laptop and can access files on it from the desktop. So, how do I...

1. Hook a laptop up to another laptop and have it function as a second screen, and/or...
2. How do I access files from one laptop on another laptop?

Ideally, what would happen is that I could both use my old lappy as a second screen AND a filedump, but either/or is cool too.

Erloas
2010-07-26, 09:18 PM
Second one is simple, just have both computers on the same network. Chances are they are both on the same (wireless) network anyway, so all you have to do is set them up for file sharing.

Laptop screens have no secondary input on them (at least no laptop I've yet to come across) so there isn't a whole lot that can be done there.
There are some programs that can let you remotely control another computer, and that could effectively give you much the same thing. However at that point you may as well just use the second laptop separately, since you wouldn't really be gaining anything to use it as just a secondary screen.

Xyk
2010-07-26, 09:22 PM
Use the new one for your warcraft and the old one for facebook. I see no reason not to have an awesome computer complex. make sure you have some flashing lights in the background.

Deth Muncher
2010-07-26, 09:34 PM
The problem with Oldputer is that it's slow. A full minute for Facebook to load? HEAVEN FORBID. I NEED MY UPDATES IN LESS THAN 10 SECONDS.

Really though. It's too slow for anything other than writing papers, and maybe GIMP.

RE: Er - Is there some way to put a password on the filesharing, so that I know I can access my files but no one else on the network can?

Erloas
2010-07-26, 09:37 PM
Yes, generally you have to log onto the computer the files are shared on in order to access them. Its possible to have them completely public, but by default you have to log onto the computer with its username and password to get to the files you've marked as shared.

IonDragon
2010-07-26, 11:50 PM
1. No.

2. Yes, but it's highly ineficient if you don't REALLY need your files on the network. My advice: Sell it on Cragislist for $200-300, spend $100 on a new external, then spend the rest on beer!

factotum
2010-07-27, 01:26 AM
Yes, generally you have to log onto the computer the files are shared on in order to access them. Its possible to have them completely public, but by default you have to log onto the computer with its username and password to get to the files you've marked as shared.

Depends how you set up sharing and what version of Windows you're using. "Simple File Sharing" in XP would allow anonymous access to the shares by default, for example--you needed to switch to Advanced to be able to lock them down in any way.

thubby
2010-07-27, 02:24 AM
dont know if it would work with a laptop harddrive, but you can buy cases that turn regular harddrives into externals. just take it out and spend the 20 bucks on one of those.

though i second the "hock it on internet" option.

IonDragon
2010-07-27, 02:30 AM
dont know if it would work with a laptop harddrive, but you can buy cases that turn regular harddrives into externals. just take it out and spend the 20 bucks on one of those.

Yes you can.

Deth Muncher
2010-07-27, 02:55 AM
1. No.

2. Yes, but it's highly ineficient if you don't REALLY need your files on the network. My advice: Sell it on Cragislist for $200-300, spend $100 on a new external, then spend the rest on beer!

I like the way you think. TBH, I don't really NEED another external at the moment - I've got my 500gig, plus my computer's 217Gigs (though only 70 of those are free now...hm). I keep all my shows and music and stuff on the external, and it's about half full. I...COULD get another one, I guess, though I'd prefer to wait until I need it.
Also, you know the way of the college student well - sell what you don't need for something you kind of do, then waste the rest of the money on alcohol.
VERY NICE.

though i second the "hock it on internet" option.

Huh. That's a thought. Though were I to yoink the harddrive out of it, wouldn't it be hard to then hock it, since it's useless? I mean, someone could put a harddrive in it but...do people do that?

EDIT: By the way, I've just remembered - the Dell is an Inspiron 1525. If that matters to anyone.

thubby
2010-07-27, 06:26 AM
Huh. That's a thought. Though were I to yoink the harddrive out of it, wouldn't it be hard to then hock it, since it's useless? I mean, someone could put a harddrive in it but...do people do that?

my post was a one-or-the-other suggestion.

IonDragon
2010-07-27, 11:14 AM

Yes, people do. I have seen many computers on eBay for sale without the drive because the previous owner was concerned about data security.

Did you know that someone could run data recovery software over your used computer, and if you saved your credit card number on there (like you entered it and your browser thought it was a password and stored it...) they would be able to get that. Granted it's a lot of work for a long shot, and even then you would be able to dispute the charges. The point is that a simple reformat does not make the old date gone, just hard to get to.

valadil
2010-07-27, 11:26 AM
1. Hook a laptop up to another laptop and have it function as a second screen, and/or...

1. Install synergy.

Synergy lets you share the mouse and keyboard between two separate computers. It does this over the internet, so you won't need any special cables. It won't actually be a second screen, so you couldn't drag windows from one laptop to another. But it will be good enough for a web browser or email.

The problem with Oldputer is that it's slow. A full minute for Facebook to load? HEAVEN FORBID. I NEED MY UPDATES IN LESS THAN 10 SECONDS.

Really though. It's too slow for anything other than writing papers, and maybe GIMP.

No it isn't. The hardware is still fine. You just have a crappy installation of windows. Copy all your important documents to your external drive, and reinstall. It should only take an hour or two tops. Then it'll run like new again.

My Dell Inspiron came from 2002. I guarantee it's got worse specs than yours, but it still runs well enough for internet access. Why does it still run well? Because I reinstalled the OS less than 6 months ago and I haven't filled it with bloatware.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-07-27, 11:27 AM
Another option for the old laptop (the craptop, if you will) would be to back up your stuff, remove Vista, and put on one of the less complex Linux distributions; you could always reinstall Vista, but that depends on whether you still have the install disks/keys/etc. They tend to be much more lightweight than Vista, have the basic internet/documents/image software, and should be relatively easy to learn if you're only using it for basic stuff. My school sells Lenovos as well (and ironically enough I had a Dell before going there, too) and when I put Ubuntu on a dozen or so not-so-computer-savvy dormmates' laptops they picked it up just fine.

thubby
2010-07-27, 11:41 AM
snip... The point is that a simple reformat does not make the old date gone, just hard to get to.

by any chance is there any way to guarantee the data is gone? I'm considering donating or selling an old computer. not a huge deal if there isn't, though.

Dogmantra
2010-07-27, 11:47 AM
by any chance is there any way to guarantee the data is gone? I'm considering donating or selling an old computer. not a huge deal if there isn't, though.

There are plenty of programs called "disc shredders" which overwrite everything with rubbish and delete it several times, to ensure that all the data is gone.

Xyk
2010-07-27, 12:31 PM

I did that with my broken toshiba. It saved all my personal stuff and was all around useful. I have yet to scrap it for parts though. Stupid motherboard crapped out on me. :smallannoyed:

YPU
2010-07-27, 12:37 PM
There are plenty of programs called "disc shredders" which overwrite everything with rubbish and delete it several times, to ensure that all the data is gone.

My girlfriends dad has turned multiple hard drives into external hard drives, with a home made adaptor and all. According to him the safest way to clean a hard drive is to give it a good do over with a magnet. Not sure how he gets them working after that tough.

Deth Muncher
2010-07-27, 01:10 PM
my post was a one-or-the-other suggestion.
Oh, but I thought...

Yes, people do. I have seen many computers on eBay for sale without the drive because the previous owner was concerned about data security.

Did you know that someone could run data recovery software over your used computer, and if you saved your credit card number on there (like you entered it and your browser thought it was a password and stored it...) they would be able to get that. Granted it's a lot of work for a long shot, and even then you would be able to dispute the charges. The point is that a simple reformat does not make the old date gone, just hard to get to.
Oh. Well that means I need some sort of...

Well then. That settles that, dunnit?

And I'm disinclined to put Linux on the craptop, just because I have no real REASON to have another laptop. I don't use it anymore, it serves no real purpose. MAYBE if I cleaned everything off of it, it would be fast enough for torrents or running youtube videos or whatever while my maintop would be able to do other stuff or something, but it just seems like an awful waste to have two laptops. -shrug- And by the way, the torrenting thing was purely hypothetical, please don't post things here that make this thread get whisked away to Modland. >_<

IonDragon
2010-07-27, 01:59 PM

Yes, possibly the best one out there is Active Kill disk Pro. Which has a setting that can completely rewrite the entire drive in such a way that supposedly even the CIA's most advanced methods can not recover a shred of data. Though really, there's almost nothing to worry about. The chances are so astronomically slim that the buyer
A) Knows what they're doing if they're buying that Dell
B) Is able to find anything
or C) would even go looking.
I only pointed it out as a curiosity, a point of interest.

If you're still concerned there is a free version of Active Kill Disk that does the same job, but not quite as well I guess...

EDIT: @Torrenting: Downloading via torrent is 100% legal, just as direct downloads are. In fact, Blizzard (I don't know if you're aware, but they produce a couple little game: the Warcraft franchise, Starcaft) uses a modified torrent protocol to distribute updates and promo videos. It is the CONTENT of the torrent that may or may not be legal. Ergo, discussing torrent technology is not against forum rules. Discussing places to find illegal torrents however, is.

Deth Muncher
2010-07-27, 05:59 PM
Yes, possibly the best one out there is Active Kill disk Pro. Which has a setting that can completely rewrite the entire drive in such a way that supposedly even the CIA's most advanced methods can not recover a shred of data. Though really, there's almost nothing to worry about. The chances are so astronomically slim that the buyer
A) Knows what they're doing if they're buying that Dell
B) Is able to find anything
or C) would even go looking.
I only pointed it out as a curiosity, a point of interest.

If you're still concerned there is a free version of Active Kill Disk that does the same job, but not quite as well I guess...

EDIT: @Torrenting: Downloading via torrent is 100% legal, just as direct downloads are. In fact, Blizzard (I don't know if you're aware, but they produce a couple little game: the Warcraft franchise, Starcaft) uses a modified torrent protocol to distribute updates and promo videos. It is the CONTENT of the torrent that may or may not be legal. Ergo, discussing torrent technology is not against forum rules. Discussing places to find illegal torrents however, is.

I feel like buying the Active Kill Disk thing would be a waste, unless you go through multiple computers very often.

Also, thoughts on what a computer would be worth without its harddrive?

IonDragon
2010-07-28, 04:41 AM
I feel like buying the Active Kill Disk thing would be a waste, unless you go through multiple computers very often.

Also, thoughts on what a computer would be worth without its harddrive?

The same amount it was worth with the hard drive, minus the value of the hard drive.

factotum
2010-07-28, 06:41 AM
The same amount it was worth with the hard drive, minus the value of the hard drive.

Not quite--you have to take into account that the person you sell it to is going to have to source a hard drive and then re-install the OS before they can use the computer, so you'd have to take a bit extra off for their time and effort.

Deth Muncher
2010-07-29, 09:40 PM
So okay. Returning to the basic ideas presented, my options are currently:

-Sell the craptop, with or without the harddrive.
--If without harddrive, must obtain case to make harddrive into an external. However, that's mostly pointless, since it's not all that much memory in the grand scheme of things.
---Either way, the funds from this laptop will be put towards school supplies and beer (which is itself a kind of school supply).

-Convert the craptop into a purely b*tchwork machine. That is, it'll be doing my torrent work, as well as storing my non-essential files, and being a backup in the event of loss/theft/breakdown of my Goodputer, while the Goodputer will remain my gaming/word processing station. If I do this, I'll need to locate my OS installing files, as I will need to basically strip the harddrive down and rewrite it to factory default.
--Alternatively, I could use this as a chance to install Linux on a computer to see how it works, if I like it, etc.

Vaynor
2010-07-29, 10:06 PM
--If without harddrive, must obtain case to make harddrive into an external. However, that's mostly pointless, since it's not all that much memory in the grand scheme of things.

You can get hard drive cases for about 5 dollars off of Amazon, I wouldn't worry about that one.

Erloas
2010-07-29, 10:17 PM
I would probably wipe your old laptop and do a fresh install, that will help things run a bit faster. I would then probably use that as your primary laptop for school related tasks, unless there is a major difference in size and weight.

That way your better laptop can stay home where it is safer (and you won't be as tempted to never pay attention in school).

Deth Muncher
2010-07-29, 11:32 PM
I would probably wipe your old laptop and do a fresh install, that will help things run a bit faster. I would then probably use that as your primary laptop for school related tasks, unless there is a major difference in size and weight.

That way your better laptop can stay home where it is safer (and you won't be as tempted to never pay attention in school).

Mm, I suppose this makes the most sense, but unless I disabled internet on the craptop, I'd still find a way to be distracted from school. Plus, I do so hate having to remember whether a file is on one computer or another. And while technically I could just save everything to the external, that gets annoying fast.