PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Pick a New Netflix Show!

Tequila Sunrise
2010-07-26, 09:13 PM
Every title I add to my list turns up as unreleased, and I'm getting frustrated. So what are some really good shows that are [probably] on dvd?

Things I like: Anime (but see below), Action/Adventure, Dry/Sophisticated Comedy and of course, Fantasy & Sci Fi.

Things I hate: Melodrama and slow pacing (which unfortunately appears in most animes), predictable plots.

Thanks!

Icewalker
2010-07-26, 09:22 PM
Doctor Who? Stargate SG-1 (O'Neill does dry humor very well)? And of course, Firefly.

Loads and loads of options. Hard to narrow down. What're some things you've seen and liked?

VanBuren
2010-07-26, 09:26 PM
Sons of Anarchy?

Gaelbert
2010-07-26, 10:41 PM
I started the first new season of Dr. Who on Saturday, then didn't get up until I finished it. Amazing. On the same note, Torchwood is good but Darker and Edgier. Also intended for more... mature audiences.
Firefly is also on Netflix, very enjoyable. Quite a excellent show.

They have a lot of The Office on Netflix too if that's your cup of tea.

Fawlty Towers is an older British show that may have the humour that you're looking for.

And all of those are on instant play.

Get Smart is very funny, but unfortunately not on instant play I'm afraid.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-07-27, 12:50 AM
Of course Firefly. I'm going to also second Fawlty Towers (John Cleese as a cranky hotel manager). Haven't seen any of the other stuff. Ever heard of Gankutsuou? I'll grant you, it's a bit of a melodramatic anime. But it's a very lavish anime adaptation of The Count of Monte Cristo, except mixing together 19th Century aesthetics and far-future sci-fi. And trippy colors. And a twisted gothic plot.

Platinum_Mongoose
2010-07-27, 01:24 AM
They have The IT Crowd on Instant, which is not terribly dry, but still very, very funny. Also on Instant is Pushing Daisies, which is one of my all-time faves for sheer quirky brilliance. If you're willing to use your precious discs, check out Northern Exposure. I watched through it last fall/winter, and I keep thinking back to it, and it keeps growing on me. It's an amazing show. (In fact, this is the third thread I've mentioned it in.)

The sad reality, however, is that you're not going to get much sophisticated humor without putting up with some degree of slow pacing. It's just the nature of the beast. The three I suggested above shouldn't fall prey to that too much, though.

Myatar_Panwar
2010-07-27, 09:23 AM
Seconding the IT crowd.

They also have the Dexter seasons up on instant. I wouldn't say its my favorite series, but it kept me going till the final (current) season.

Dead Like Me is also a pretty good comedy. Its biggest flaw is that it was canceled before its time, as is happening to far too many shows of late. Also on instant.

Not netflix related, but on hulu right now they've got The Good Guys, which is probably my favorite show currently airing episodes. Just don't expect believable plots. :P

SpiderMew
2010-07-27, 09:26 AM
watch Gun X Sword
you can even stream it.

Also Gurren Laggan, you can get the dvds, i dont think they have it streaming yet.

Tequila Sunrise
2010-07-27, 09:33 AM
Doctor Who? Stargate SG-1 (O'Neill does dry humor very well)? And of course, Firefly.

Loads and loads of options. Hard to narrow down. What're some things you've seen and liked?
I do like O'Neill and Tuvok...I mean, Teal'c. Firefly was fun, but I haven't seen Serenity yet.

My last show was BSG, and I'm still trying to get over how awesome it is. Heroes is fun, but each season is a bit formulaic. The only anime I've ever really loved are Miyazaki's big three: Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Sky and Spirited Away. I did enjoy the first disc of an anime about Japan being subjugated by "Britannia" and a guy who gained the power to dominate others. Can't remember the name though.

To be more specific about humor: I love things like Frasier and Seinfeld, but I can also really like things like Family Guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lich59xsjik) and Scrubs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc01jaUti7k).

tonberrian
2010-07-27, 10:24 AM
I did enjoy the first disc of an anime about Japan being subjugated by "Britannia" and a guy who gained the power to dominate others. Can't remember the name though.

Sounds like Code Geass.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-07-27, 11:40 AM
Sounds like Code Geass.
Correction: is Code Geass. Lol.

Code Geass is quite good.

Eldan
2010-07-27, 01:00 PM
If you liked Code Geass, you might like Death Note. In my opinion, it's similar in some of it's themes, but, at least for the first half, better in every way.

To explain a little more: a genius highschool student gets the power to kill any person he wants (a few more requirements apply), at a distance, with no direct connection back to him. He starts "improving" the world.

Brewdude
2010-07-27, 08:39 PM
Net Flix?

Start Trolling HBO series. They are all good. Especially:

The Wire
Deadwood
Rome
Generation Kill
Entourage
Band of Brothers
The Pacific