PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Magic items for Dragons?

senrath
2010-07-26, 10:02 PM
Apart from the few listed in the Draconomicon, are there any magic items specifically meant for Dragons?

Also, are there any rules for making standard magic items to fit dragons?

Soren Hero
2010-07-26, 10:30 PM
im not entirely familiar with that sourcebook, but according to the srd:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#sizeAndMagicItems

" When an article of magic clothing or jewelry is discovered, most of the time size shouldn’t be an issue. Many magic garments are made to be easily adjustable, or they adjust themselves magically to the wearer. Size should not keep characters of various kinds from using magic items.

There may be rare exceptions, especially with racial specific items. "

additionally, the srd states that a humonoid shaped body has 12 specific magic item slots on its body...im under the impression that a dragon has a similar amount of slots available, i.e. it has a head, eyes, neck, etc...the only difference might be an available wing slot, but that could be taken up as a torso or cape depending on the dm's intrepretation

Goonthegoof
2010-07-26, 11:15 PM
There aren't any other dragon specific items that I know of, but as the guy above me stated there's no reason not to give them normal gear. That one has always bugged me, actually- The older a dragon gets the smarter, wiser and more magically powerful it is. Why on earth are dragons not described as wearing magic items? They have the time, the resources and the power to create their own magical items, why would they not give themselves that advantage?

WinWin
2010-07-27, 03:51 AM
Any casting dragon would have no reason not to make items if they were capable of doing so. The only prohibiting factor is including treasure that the PC's possibly can't use.

I once used a Draconic Ultimate Magus (low epic campaign finale) that had a kit of items.

Ioun Stones, Bracers, Rings (metal claw sheath), an amulet (embedded in it's chest rather than hanging from a chain) and a number of consumable items available from a slotless belt of many pouches (reflavoured as a tiny dimensional pocket/vortex that followed the dragon around).

Of course, as the campaign was ending, having the gear fall into the PC's hands was not really a concern.

Zanticor
2010-07-27, 05:05 AM
In my experience dragons usually have one item: an amulet of mighty fist. Works every time. If you have 5+ attacks and they all get an enchantment, that's a big deal. With power attack a +1 amulet could give it +10 damage on a full attack!

Zanticor

Goonthegoof
2010-07-27, 05:45 AM
Yes, but I don't see why a dragon would stop there. I'd imagine any sane dragon would have some decent chainmail, a belt of giant strength and a cloak of resistance at the very least.

Runestar
2010-07-27, 06:40 AM
I'd imagine any sane dragon would have some decent chainmail, a belt of giant strength and a cloak of resistance at the very least.

Well, at a high enough lv, dragons can cast superior resistance (which lasts all day) and even buff themselves with bite of the werebear! +16str and +7NA? Yes please...:smallcool:

Given their decent wis scores, a monk's belt seems too good to pass up, but makes you unable to wear armour (leaving mage armour/bracers of armour as alternatives).

Why stop there? Have them take knowledge devotion for a free +5 insight bonus on attack/damage rolls. And don't forget arcane spellsurge so they can cast a quickened spell which full-attacking each round.

Dragons under-cr'ed? You ain't seen nothing yet! :smallbiggrin:

Goonthegoof
2010-07-27, 08:16 AM
Therein lies the problem for me- That kind of stuff puts them way over CR, but at the same time they're so intelligent that there's no way to justify them not taking those kinds of measures.

Bushidough
2010-07-27, 08:20 AM
Therein lies the problem for me- That kind of stuff puts them way over CR, but at the same time they're so intelligent that there's no way to justify them not taking those kinds of measures.

Sure there is: Vainty

Goonthegoof
2010-07-27, 09:00 AM
Except A: Surely vanity would mean they'd be fine with wearing lots of bling and B: they have high wisdom, too, so vanity wouldn't get the better of their common sense.

dspeyer
2010-07-27, 09:28 AM
Ring of fire/cold resistance/immunity (whichever they're naturally vulnerable to).

Wand of shimmering scales.

Handy haversack with lots of random scrolls.

senrath
2010-07-27, 09:40 AM
Well, in this case it's a PC, and it's a Young Wyrm of War Battle Dragon, so it's unlikely for him to have crafted, well, any items.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Goonthegoof
2010-07-27, 10:35 AM
I'm gonna make a seperate thread for this so I don't put yours off topic.