PDA

View Full Version : 3.5Base Class Trinity (Art) Mage (three mages representing the primary colors) PEACH

Hamswordsman
2010-07-27, 01:39 AM
Trinity Mage

Flavor: A group of three mages that all specialize in a school of magic. They are Triplets that share a unique bond with each other. This bond allows them to combine and form new individuals with different powers.

Role: General Spell Caster

Alignment: You must have one of each: Chaotic/Evil, Lawful/Good, and either Lawful/Evil or Chaotic/Good. Regardless of their alignments, they get along with each other just fine though they might get into arguments but just because they are triplets and philosophies differ but they still won't be sworn enemies of each other.

Hit Die: d6 (divides by three better than 4) Since they are divided by three it is basically a d2.

Important Abilities: Need to have good Int to help raise their spells saves. Con or Dex would probably be the next most important stats because they help improve the survivability of a trinity mage.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Split|3|1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Combine|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Empathetic Link|4|2|1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4||4|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Call Back|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|-|-|-|

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5||4|3|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Improved Combine|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|-|-|

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6||4|4|3|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Switch|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|-|

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7||4|4|4|3|3|2|-|-|-|-|

11th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Shared Vision|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|

12th|
+6/1|
+4|
+4|
+8||4|4|4|4|3|3|2|-|-|-|

13th|
+6/1|
+4|
+4|
+8|Redistribute|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|

14th|
+7/2|
+4|
+4|
+9||4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|-|-|

15th|
+7/2|
+5|
+5|
+9|Improved Call Back|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|

16th|
+8/3|
+5|
+5|
+10||4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|-|

17th|
+8/3|
+5|
+5|
+10|Multi-Cast|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|

18th|
+9/4|
+6|
+6|
+11||4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|

19th|
+9/4|
+6|
+6|
+11|Improved Switch|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|

20th|
+10/5|
+6|
+6|
+12|Mastery of Combine|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|[/table]

Skills: 2+Int Mod
Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Weapon Proficiency: club, dagger, heavy crossbow, light crossbow, and quarterstaff

Armor proficiency: None

Character Creation and Stats:
During character creation, you create a character as usual. Take the Physical abilities (STR, DEX, AND CON) and divide them by three. Your mental stats are the same throughout the three.

HP is divided by three evenly among them. When Leveling, you level your HP normally and then distribute equally among all of them.

Saves are the same for all of them except keep in mind that the Ability modifiers for Reflex and Fort Saves will be lower because of their reduced stats.

For Skills they will each have their own skill pool but the distribution of skill points is taken combined. In other words you still have the same skill points, just you have to figure out which mage it goes to. They must be divided evenly so one person does not get all of the skills.

BAB is divided evenly among them.

You choose a Feat list that they all share. (They don't each have their own feats.)

You must also designate a "lead" he is generally the more respected one of the bunch and the general leader of the three but disputes may still arise. Whenever something is divided unevenly among them, he gets the excess.

At the beginning, You must designate which of the colors will represent a school of magic. For example, Red will be evocations, Black will be necromancy....

Your three primary colors will be your three mages initial schools.

Combining and 3 person Mechanics:

When you combine, you add up anything that was previously split. You may only combine 2 of them if you want leaving one by himself.

If one dies, then they stay dead and cannot be revived until after the encounter. After the encounter is over, you may redistribute your hp among them equally. You don't technically die unless all of them die but if you lose one then you lose access to magic plus your last two are greatly weakened.

Initiative is rolled as if they were all combined and thus they all take their turns at the same time.

After combining, anything that was divided among them get added up like their physical abilities for example.

Any statuses he previous one also transfer to the new combined one. If they split then they both get the condition.

To make the new alignment of the combined individual, you take average them. If one side is neutral. When all three of them combine they are always Neutral, Neutral.

Any equipments on them are combined taking the best one of the two.

Spellcasting:
They all share the same spells per day pool. For example the whole team gets X spells per day not Mage A gets a certain amount and Mage B gets another amount...

Since they are share the same spell pool, only one spell may be cast among all of them. for exampe, if mage A casted a spell, Mage B also can't cast one.

When you combine they lose their previous schools of magic and get replaced with the new one(s).

As long as it is combined, it gains access to the universal school of magic.

The Spell save is DC 10 +spell level+ mages' Int mod

Use the Sorcerer and Wizard spells

Schools of Magic:
Primaries:
Red= Abjuration
Yellow Enchantment
Blue=Illusion
Secondaries:
Purple:
Orange: Evocation
Purple: Necromancy
Green: Transmutation
Combined:
Black: Conjuration
White: Divination

When they combine they make one of the new colors on the color wheel. If anyone thinks some schools should be switched around then feel free to tell me.

Other Stuff

They do not share the same minds and they are their own individuals. They don't have the same vision, mind or other things. They slowly attain these as they level.

For Multiclassing, Only your lead gains anything from the multi class. The other two do not get any effect from it.

You Always start the encounter with them separated.

Class Features:
Split (SU): You have three characters. They can split from their combined forms as a full-round action action. Place the split individual(s) in adjacent squares.

Combine (SU): You make combine 2 of them into a new mage as a full-round action for both of them. They must be able to join hands and this action provokes attacks of opportunity. You may only combine two people at a time.

Empathetic Link (SU): The mages may communicate with each other through an empathetic link.

Call Back (SU): As a full-round action for both of them, one mage may teleport adjacent to another mage. They must be within 100ft +(10 X Class level)

Improved Combine (SU): Same as combine except they can be up to 5ft X 1/2 class levels away and still combine. You may now combine 3 people as well but now all three of them use their standard action.

Switch (SU): As a full round action for both of them, you may select two mages and switch places with each other. They must be within 100ft +(10 X Class level)

Redistribute (SU): Whenever a mage is dealt damage, you may choose to redistribute the damage among the mages however you choose.

Imrpoved Callback (SU): You may call back up to two mages and only one of them needs to use a full round action.

Improved Switch (SU): At will, you may switch your mages.

Multi Cast (EX): After attaining true mastery of their skills, they have no limit to how many spells they cast a turn.

Ya this is no doubt the very border of radical homebrewing and sheer ridiculous but I really like this idea and think it can work. I also know that this can also easily be abused and I'll figure out the balancing when I actually make the thread for the actual character. Right now I just want to know if this has any shot. If you guys have any other ideas about some of the issues or if you need some better wording (i know its convoluted) then please tell me.

For various differences and balancing issues:

Wizards can prepare the best spells in their books for the day, a Trinity Mage can have access to every spell but must go through combining and thus waste several turn to access the spell they need that a wizard probably already prepared.

A Trinity Mage is 3 people and has some pros and cons associated with that. For example:

More standard actions to do things. (more people, more actions) Still can't really abuse it cause they suck physically, and their spell casting is limited to one spell per round.
More money on equipment. You got to feed and equip all of them seperately.
Any magical equipment you may find only works for one of them.
They are all a third of a full person and thus extremely weak on their own.
If hit with an aoe, it ill probably deal twice the damage if not three times the damage.
There are probably many more but this is the short list.

If one of the mages die, you lose 4 schools of magic for the first one and another 3 for the next one. This gives you a grand total of 1 school of magic. basically pretty worthless after the first one dies and a waste of space when the next one dies.

If one of them is status afflicted, you cant really combine with them because they will just infect the other one and thus making the similar problem of if one of them died.

I think it is generally fine because in battle it takes roughly 3 turns to get the spell you want. One turn to Call them Back, Another turn to combine and then finally another turn to actually use the spell.

One last note: Wondering what you guys think are the three worst schools of magic? I plan on making them the primary colors. also wondering what the two best are and I am going to probably make them Black and White.

BladeofOblivion
2010-07-27, 01:47 AM
It could be done, but the only thing crazier than a high level wizard is three high level wizards in one. You will need nerfs. Lots of nerfs.

Prime32
2010-07-27, 11:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4T7bkW5sKg

Hamswordsman
2010-07-27, 01:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4T7bkW5sKg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4T7bkW5sKg)
Funny video.

I actually made the class now. Looking for suggestions and comments. The rules are probably convoluted so if you need any explaining then I can help with that.

Dante & Vergil
2010-07-27, 04:11 PM
I think the class could use something like the way a familiar shares spells with the caster.

Hamswordsman
2010-07-27, 07:21 PM
I think the class could use something like the way a familiar shares spells with the caster.

All of the individual mages have their own school of magic. If they can cast their magic through each other then what is the point of combining?

Updated it to include a tentative list of schools corresponding to color. This should help make it easier to understand and why it is art based.

blueblade
2010-07-28, 02:50 AM
Basic question: When split, can they each cast a spell in the same round?

If so, you've just broken action economy, and I cannot see how any amount of nerfs will ever fix that.

Hamswordsman
2010-07-28, 11:11 AM
No splitting takes a full round action so those two (or three) cannot take any other actions. Also keep in mind that until level 20 out of the three of them only one can cast each turn. This is done so you can't launch a flurry of spells in one turn which would have been broken.